PDA

View Full Version : best live shows

richardsoncd
03-03-2006, 09:40 AM
Last night I was lucky enough to go to a benefit concert here in Athens, "Gimme Shelter", where a bunch of Athens based bands got together to do Stones covers, and guess who shows up? Widespread Panic and Drive-by-Truckers, they jammmed together for almost an hour along with a ton of other great local bands. One of the best shows I think I have seen in a while (small venue, not packed, $8 tickets, rideculous music, cheap beer). So it made me wonder how many cool stories there are about live shows...what was y'alls best live show?

Upper Michigan Prostar190
03-03-2006, 09:56 AM
I have seen some good ones.

Van Halen on their reunion tour in 2004. Sammy was awesome, Eddie was......."ok".

Dennis DeYoung(from Styx) this spring. Excellent show. His voice is still unbelievable.

But the best I have ever seen is Kansas. Absolutley jaw dropping. 5 amazing musicians, each one a master of their instrument. If your into progressive rock, its a must see. Most people label them as the "dust in the wind" band, but that song is really a inaccurate display of what they are capable of. The dynamics of that band are like a symphony, each person doesnt over play, they know their spot and they stick to it. It all comes together in a truly amazing fashion. NO fancy lights, no pyro, no big screen, no smoke, no frills, no rock star attitude. just amazing music. They walk on stage and deliver truckloads of amazing music. :twocents: If you ever get the chance to see them live, dont miss it.

3event
03-03-2006, 10:07 AM
Back in the 80s and early 90s lots of rockin live shows, some pretty big. Including Clapton/Stevie Ray Vaughn the nite Stevie Ray's chopper crashed in WI. Don't get to too many concerts any more. I would rather find a band in a small club / bar on the rare occasions when I can. Last year in Tempe AZ (during sales meeting) stopped by the Library Bar & Grill, band called "Metalhead", playing/spoofing 80s metal/hair band music. Talented gang - the guitar player played most all the riffs dead on. The guys wore wigs and period costumes, it was a blast! If you like that stuff and are in town there, check em out.

http://www.thelibraryusa.com/tempe/

east tx skier
03-03-2006, 11:38 AM
I've got lots. Here are a few in no particular order.

Maceo Parker at the Satellite Lounge around Nov 1996 or so.

Phish's Millenium new year's eve show on the Big Cypress Indian Reservation off Alligator Alley in FL where they played from the stroke of midnight nonstop until almost 7:30 a.m. (talk about blisters on the fingers).

David Byrne at Red Jacket in Dallas 2003.

Was on the 11th row center to see the Stones in Houston in '89.

Soul Hat some time in September 1992 at Liberty Lunch in Austin.

Blues Traveler at Rockefeller's (Houston TX) April 1992

Dick Dale at the Satellite Lounge 1997

Link Wray at the Satellite Lounge 1997

03-03-2006, 12:06 PM
Dick Dale Rules!!! :toast: I would like to see him play live. He rips! How was the show eastie?? :confused:

richardsoncd
03-03-2006, 12:06 PM
I've got lots. Here are a few in no particular order.

Maceo Parker at the Satellite Lounge around Nov 1996 or so.

Phish's Millenium new year's eve show on the Big Cypress Indian Reservation off Alligator Alley in FL where they played from the stroke of midnight nonstop until almost 7:30 a.m. (talk about blisters on the fingers).

David Byrne at Red Jacket in Dallas 2003.

Was on the 11th row center to see the Stones in Houston in '89.

Soul Hat some time in September 1992 at Liberty Lunch in Austin.

Blues Traveler at Rockefeller's (Houston TX) April 1992

Dick Dale at the Satellite Lounge 1997

Link Wray at the Satellite Lounge 1997

Great taste in music, those are some sweet shows, and I do mean shows and not concerts.

east tx skier
03-03-2006, 12:10 PM
Dick Dale Rules!!! :toast: I would like to see him play live. He rips! How was the show eastie?? :confused:

LOUD! Very LOUD! But amazing nonetheless. Satellite Lounge only holds a few hundred people. I miss it.

east tx skier
03-03-2006, 12:12 PM
Great taste in music, those are some sweet shows, and I do mean shows and not concerts.

I had lots of fun. I don't get to catch as many living where I do (unless I pick up and travel).

I'll add Trey Anastasio and his 10 pc band in Raliegh NC August 2001. Love the horns!

We had some local guys who've gone national called the Greyhounds. They were really good. Took a couple of them skiing while they came home to east Texas oh so temporarily. Drums and Tuba opened a show here for them, too. They were great to see.

M-Funf
03-03-2006, 12:16 PM
My personal favorites:

B.B. King at Konacti Harbor Resort.

Dick Dale at The Mystic Theater

REM and Sonic Youth at Shoreline Amphetheater

Guano Apes at Schlacthof Dresden

:banana:

jwchapman
03-03-2006, 12:17 PM
It's alway great to see bands live. Some that have stayed with me:

KISS (Greensboro Coliseum) - Full Costumes, etc. 1979 (I was 14!)

The Who (Greensboro) - tour after Keith Moon died - around the same time

Kansas (Greensboro) - around 82 - Awesome Musicians (I agree with the previous poster)

The Police - Atlanta Omni - mid 80's - last tour I think

Julianna Hatfield - 40 Watt Club - 1993 - Great musician, very easy on the eyes, legendary southern club

Jason and the Scorchers - House of Blues, Chicago - 1995 - gotta see him live

U2 - Popmart Tour - Clemson - 1998 - a true spectacle

Lyle Lovett and his Large Band - several time over the last decade - anyone who looks like than and can bag Julia Roberts must have some talent

Santana - 2002 - outdoors on Maui - private party (only 600 of us) - incredible

richardsoncd
03-03-2006, 12:18 PM
I had lots of fun. I don't get to catch as many living where I do (unless I pick up and travel).

I'll add Trey Anastasio and his 10 pc band in Raliegh NC August 2001. Love the horns!

We had some local guys who've gone national called the Greyhounds. They were really good. Took a couple of them skiing while they came home to east Texas oh so temporarily. Drums and Tuba opened a show here for them, too. They were great to see.

That's sweeta$$, a little Trey never hurt anyone. Are the Greyhounds a jam band?

Maristar210
03-03-2006, 12:25 PM
Some great memories here in mentioning these bands. Gawd were getting old.
Closet Styx fan here. I Saw REO Speedwagon back in the day as well. They sounded awesome I can still rember "Riding the storm out" I had goose bumps then and now thinking about it. A little commercial I know but I liked them.

Good Thread !!!

Steve

AirJunky
03-03-2006, 12:31 PM
Been to plenty of the big concerts over the years but the ones that really stick out are the small bars with a big name act.

Kenny Wayne Sheppard at the Backstage Tavern. Ran into he & the band at the italian restaurant next door a couple hours before the show. Big points with the gf.

Pearl Jam on a baseball diamond in the U District. Bootleg footage is unreal.

Heart at the Gaslamp Tavern.

Love Mongers, Alice in Chains & Pearl Jam at the RockCandy club.
Ran into the Wilson sisters in line gettin a beer.

1992 Rock for the Environment show at the Gorge in George, WA.: Queensryche, Heart, Metal Church, Laura Lavie, War Babies, the Walkabouts & others. At the end, all 9 bands came out on stage & performed Shattered (Stones) & Revolution (Beatles). The bootleg footage is absolutely priceless.

M-Funf
03-03-2006, 12:36 PM
Closet Styx fan here. I Saw REO Speedwagon back in the day as well.

Steve, believe it or not, Styx's "sail away" is my skiing song.

I forgot to mention another show, Soft White Underbellies (I'm sure some of you know who this is...?) at a small bar/club in Santa Rosa....AWESOME show.

My overall favorite live show from WAY back was Montrose with Sammy Hagar at the Veterans Hall in Santa Rosa (really, really small venue). I was in the front row, and got some great pictures. I'll try to remember to scan one in after I'm back from vaca and post it...

BrianM
03-03-2006, 12:37 PM
Everytime I have seen Van Halen they have been awsome. Last time was on the Balance tour. Got to see Sammy and the Woboritas at a small club in Tuscon which was an amazing show as well. Motley Crue on the Dr Feelgood tour was another that sticks in my mind.

east tx skier
03-03-2006, 12:39 PM
REM and Sonic Youth at Shoreline Amphetheater
:banana:

I'm assuming you weren't sitting on the hill. I've been to two shows at Shoreline. Beautiful place, but you can't see anything from the hill.

M-Funf
03-03-2006, 12:42 PM
I'm assuming you weren't sitting on the hill. I've been to two shows at Shoreline. Beautiful place, but you can't see anything from the hill.

Yup, we were on the hill. You're right, you can't see much, but REM doesn't DO much on stage, and they played LOUD. Sonic Youth even LOUDER, so the hill was a good place to be... :toast:

east tx skier
03-03-2006, 12:44 PM
That's sweeta$$, a little Trey never hurt anyone. Are the Greyhounds a jam band?

Not as a genre, but they gravitate toward improvisation. Until a couple of years ago, they were playing some jazzier stuff on the west coast. They moved back to Texas and adopted that sort of that SxSW funk style, but not generic like so much of it is. The keyboard player is really great. The bass player from Galactic did their last album.

www.greyhoundsmusic.com

richardsoncd
03-03-2006, 12:46 PM
Besides my opening thread:

Panic-any time anywhere
Robert Earl Keene-Georgia Theatre
David Allen Coe-Georgia Theatre (did a shot with him)
Rusted Root-40 Watt
Jupiter Coyote-Fraternity House

shepherd
03-03-2006, 02:53 PM
Everytime I have seen Van Halen they have been awsome. Last time was on the Balance tour. Got to see Sammy and the Woboritas at a small club in Tuscon which was an amazing show as well. Motley Crue on the Dr Feelgood tour was another that sticks in my mind.

I saw Van Halen open for the Rolling Stones at the Tangerine Bowl (now Citrus Bowl) in Orlando in 1981. I wasn't even a Van Halen fan -- I went to see the Stones. Van Halen blew the Stones away!

shepherd
03-03-2006, 02:55 PM
Surprised nobody mentioned Jimmy Buffett. Say what you will about his talent, but his concert is just one huge, fun party :banana: :smile: :banana:

shepherd
03-03-2006, 03:00 PM
Styx is coming here to play later this month. Probably about the closest thing to a "name" band we get in this town. Anybody seen them recently? Worthwhile show?

jpattigr
03-03-2006, 03:12 PM
Concerts- So Many that it is tough to wittle it down but top 5,

1. VH in 1984, small crowd, opening night of World Tour
2. Stevie Ray Vaughan- Man knew how to play!!
3. Gordon lightfoot- Classic, small room, Big performance
4. Bryan Adams- 1 month before he made it big, University Show 200 people, Summer 0f 69 to close and no one had ever heard it before.
5. Pink Floyd- 1986 CNE, Big Band, Big Show, 70,000 wasted people

Near top 5 shows,

Rolling Stones, Tragically Hip (maybe #1), AC/DC, every blues band in a small bar that i ever saw!!

Footin
03-03-2006, 03:15 PM
Sammy Hagar at a small venue about 4 years ago.

east tx skier
03-03-2006, 03:26 PM
Surprised nobody mentioned Jimmy Buffett. Say what you will about his talent, but his concert is just one huge, fun party :banana: :smile: :banana:

I've seen Jimmy Buffett 11 times. It was always more than enough fun. I just wouldn't put him up there with the best I've seen. But a good time or I wouldn't have gone ten more. :)

MNSKier
03-03-2006, 03:37 PM
Pink Floyd Division Bell tour 1992 :eek:AWSOME
Van Hallen 1992 :) Great show
Bob Seeger was way cool
Rush on the CounterParts Tour
Jimmy Buffett nothing but fun!!!!!!!!!!!

hacker
03-03-2006, 03:52 PM
Styx is coming here to play later this month. Probably about the closest thing to a "name" band we get in this town. Anybody seen them recently? Worthwhile show?

I would say yes. However that depends if you are a Dennis DeYoung fan. DDY is no longer with the band.

mbeach
03-03-2006, 04:05 PM
homecoming 1974 @ florida state univ homecoming show in doak cambell stadium - three dog night. weather was great and they totally lit up the stadium.

Platprostar
03-03-2006, 04:14 PM
Great to see so many Redheads out there. Sammy is the best live. Caught the VH tour in Sac and have seen him a couple of time at Konochti. If you live in NorCal, Konochti is a great place to go see a show. Sammy just announced a summer tour. It starts in NJ. He will be with the Waboritas and Michael Anthony.

Hope to make it to Cabo for the bday bash one of these days.

AirJunky
03-03-2006, 04:15 PM
I saw Van Halen open for the Rolling Stones at the Tangerine Bowl (now Citrus Bowl) in Orlando in 1981. I wasn't even a Van Halen fan -- I went to see the Stones. Van Halen blew the Stones away!
After seeing VH twice with David & Sammy, and then seeing the Stones Super Bowl show...... that doesn't surprise me in the least. :shocked:

schmaltzy
03-03-2006, 04:30 PM
We Went To Cabo San Lucas Back In Sept. And Sammy Put On A Benefit Concert Last Minute At Cabo Wabo - We Were 10th In Line And Had A Table About 10feet From The Stage - Awesome Show

slalomskifreak
03-03-2006, 04:36 PM
KISS for me (throughout the years). I have never seen another band play a show like them.

Ted Nugent is pretty intense also. Rush was outstanding sounding!

One I never saw but always wanted to, was the old Alice Cooper Show.

east tx skier
03-03-2006, 05:09 PM
Oooh, that's a good topic, too. Who would you have loved to have seen, but never did.

Mine.

Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention in the early 70s.
Jimi Hendrix and Band of Gypsies
Grateful Dead (mid to late 70s)
Talking Heads (early 80s)
Parliment Funkadelic
Taj Mahal

Oh, and to add to the great concerts list.

Prince in 2004 featuring (Maceo Parker)

jayocheskey
03-03-2006, 05:11 PM
Creed & Collective Soul in Dallas when it was still called the Starplex. I think it's called the Smirnoff Center now.

Better than Ezra & Collective Soul last summer at Carlos 'N Charlies in Austin. The atmosphere was "PARTY"

east tx skier
03-03-2006, 05:13 PM
Adding again to my list.

Beck with the Flaming Lips at the Will Rogers Auditorium. Ft. Worth, TX.

jayocheskey
03-03-2006, 05:14 PM
Love to see: Pearl Jam, Metallica - I have heard the Metallica shows are "flawless" - true artists. I guess there popularity now spread over 3 decades is a testament to there musical genius.

bcampbe7
03-03-2006, 05:19 PM
Better than Ezra & Collective Soul last summer at Carlos 'N Charlies in Austin. The atmosphere was "PARTY"

I saw Better than Ezra in Nashville while in College. They put on a pretty good show.

I am not much of a concert goer. Just don't care for it.

Here's my list:
Janet Jackson - I was in High School and there was a girl involved, leave me alone!
Aerosmith - Great show
Better than Ezra - Great show
Alanis Morisette - Pretty good show
N'Sync (yes I said N'Sync!) A girl I know from College grew up with Lance Bass (one of the members of N'Sync) and we got free tickets with backstage passes and got to go to the afterparty with the band.
Dixie Chicks - This was before there Toby comments and such. They were pretty decent.

Granite_33
03-03-2006, 05:55 PM
Pink Floyd. Flying pigs, flying beds......
Dave Mathews Band.
Saw Sammy BVH (before Van Halen) Great Show.
Buddy Guy in January in Chicago. That man can play a guitar.
Jimmy Buffet.
Van Halen with Hagar.

In the Late high School and early college years unfortunately it was Ratt, Dokken, Faster Pussycat, and some other no names that made a living playing bad music and having "pretty" costumes. Money well spent. :eek: Those were among some of the worst live shows ever.

AirJunky
03-03-2006, 06:26 PM
Remember the Sammy Hagar tour when he had the front half of a red Pontiac Firebird on stage with him? That show rocked!

One that really surprised me. U2. I didn't care either way but an old gf wanted to go. I actually liked it.

Granite_33
03-03-2006, 06:29 PM
I do remember it was the "I Can't Drive 55" Tour.

Not sure about the car on stage.........but then again....I was not the most coherent.

3event
03-03-2006, 06:32 PM
Seconding votes for:
Van Halen pre-Hagar > anyone who likes rock and missed one of those shows really lost out
Van Halen Hagar > yeah, including "I Can't Drive 55"

Voting also for:
RUSH (Grace Under Pressure Tour) - just 3 very talented guys getting it done and then some, best tune was YYZ (instrumental from Moving Pictures ALBUM)

ilikeitglacy
03-03-2006, 07:58 PM
i used to go out with this girl, she was production manager. got ot see every show there was a the time (1986). here's my three fav:
u2- 55000 thousand people, worked backstage
the police- private show, 200 person
Pink floyd, Genesis, Van Halen w/SH, 5 cities Canadian tour with Hueys Lewis... :smile: ,man thoses where the years!!!

JEREMY79
03-03-2006, 08:05 PM
Lynyrd Skynyrd & 38 special ( '99) Great show Nashville
George Strait ( '02) Incrdible show Nashville
Aerosmith ('02) OK show
Toby Keith ('02) Incredible Lousiville
Montgomery Gentry '03 FLAWLESS Louisville
Hank Williams JR. (seen him twice '99 Nashville '02 Lousiville
Great show---I think :toast:
Many many more. Gotta go get Pizza

BrianM
03-03-2006, 08:54 PM
Oooh, that's a good topic, too. Who would you have loved to have seen, but never did.

Concerts- So Many that it is tough to wittle it down but top 5,

1. VH in 1984, small crowd, opening night of World Tour
2. Stevie Ray Vaughan- Man knew how to play!!

Stevie Ray Vaughan would be the absolute top of my Wish I Had Seen Them List. That guy could play like nobody.

shepherd
03-04-2006, 01:44 AM
Creed & Collective Soul in Dallas when it was still called the Starplex. I think it's called the Smirnoff Center now.

Saw Collective Soul at an outdoor Memorial Day concert in St. Petersburg, FL. Watched half of it from the beer line -- it was 90+ degrees, only one beer line, and the other beverage stands sold out of water :mad: :noface: :mad:

Needlless to say, I carried 4 beers back to our blanket :toast:

Oh yeah, the concert was good - at least I could see the stage from line.

shepherd
03-04-2006, 01:49 AM

2 shows I would have loved to see in the 70s, but was too young to go (but my big sister did, lucky b!tch!):

Led Zeppelin would definitely be at the top of the list. Any of you guys saw them live?
After that, Kiss must have been a great show

bucky
03-04-2006, 02:13 AM
Saw most of my concerts when I was too young to appreciate the music. More concerned with the beer and babes. Some favorites were Bad Company at Big Kahuna's water park in destin, '86 I think. Bob Seeger and the Silver Bullet Band at Worlds of Fun in K.C.

But the gold standard all others paled against was, you guessed it, Van Halen W/Sammy. Loudest thing I've ever heard. 1986 5150 tour at Kemper arena in K.C. Sammy was in his prime and Eddie hadn't self-destructed yet. Bachman Turner Overdrive opened (they sounded a little rusty).

JimN
03-04-2006, 02:19 AM
OK, SOME of the best shows I have seen, in no particular order of rank:

the last two Rush tours
a bunch of Genesis shows- their touring guitarist (Daryl Stuermer) is from the Milwaukee area
Pink Floyd
Tom Petty @ Summerfest
Mellencamp @ Summerfest
Jeff Beck
Los Lobos @ Summerfest
Savoy Brown and Wishbone Ash, consecutively @ Summerfest
Stevie Ray @ Summerfest- about 8' from his monitor, also saw him at the Oriental Theater
Eric Johnson
Dixie Dregs @ Summerfest
UK at the Uptown Theate- KILLER SHOW!
John McLaughlin
John Mayall @ Summerfest
Bill Bruford @ Summerfest
Clapton @ Summerfest
Santana @ Summerfest
Kenny Wayne Shepard @ Summerfest
Johnny Lang @ Summerfest
Bela Fleck and The Flecktones @ Summerfest
Allman Bros, Gov't Mule- same show @ Summerfest

Local bands-

Violent Femmes
BoDeans
Daryl Stuermer
Greg Koch and the Tone Controls- Buddy Miles (Band Of Gypsies) sat in one night in '95 and in an interview, said Greg was the best guitarist he had played with in 25 years. Greg will be playing in Tempe on the 31st @ the Tempe Music Festival for Fender's 60th Anniversary.
Jerry Harrison (Talking Heads keyboards/guitar) on his Casual Gods tour
Willy Porter (will also be in Tempe for the same festival, opening for Greg, Eric Johnson and Jeff Beck)
Sweetbottom

You guys need to check out Summerfest (www.summerfest.com)

shepherd
03-04-2006, 02:30 AM
I would say yes. However that depends if you are a Dennis DeYoung fan. DDY is no longer with the band.

I was just wondering if they (Styx) will be geezin like the Stones, gone soft like an evening with the Moody Blues (with symphony), or still rockin' like Lynyrd Skynyrd.

I think DDY did some Styx songs solo with a symphony... I DON"T want to see something like that :( yawn...

Speaking of geezers, I saw Steve Howe solo a few years ago in Orlando. Friday night at the House of Blues and then he played a local downtown bar Saturday night. Went to both shows. The guy still had skills, but he wasn't really into it. It was sort of like standing around watching some old dude showing off his technical guitar skills but not really playing MUSIC. We only went to the Saturday gig because there was going to be a local band there and we were hoping he'd jam with them. He didn't.

hacker
03-04-2006, 11:38 AM
I was just wondering if they (Styx) will be geezin like the Stones, gone soft like an evening with the Moody Blues (with symphony), or still rockin' like Lynyrd Skynyrd.

I think DDY did some Styx songs solo with a symphony... I DON"T want to see something like that :( yawn...

The last time I saw them was about 3 years ago. They sounded great. 5 guys on stage having fun! Styx is (still) a serious rock band for sure.

Funny story: The first time I went to a Styx concert was back in the late '70s (Their Grand Illusion tour). I wasn't sure I even wanted to go. I would have much rather gone to a VH, Nugent, Areosmith, Skynard... show. But, Styx was playing local and it sounded like a good party. Plus a friend of mine told me the opening act would be worth it, some guy I never heard of named Sammy Hagar! After Hagar got done I was thinking there is no way Styx would be better than that. I only knew Styx from what I had heard on the radio. Well I was wrong! Styx put on an amazing show, I was blown away. Styx on the radio=pop/Styx on stage=ROCK

Again, if you like Styx I don't think you would be disapointed. Next time they're near here I'll go see them again.

stevo137
03-04-2006, 11:49 AM
Wow, brings back memories. First I do strongly agree with UMP regarding Kansas, we saw them many years ago and it was outstanding.
Great description UMP.

Here are the big ones that I can remember that I've seen over the years:

Kansas
Supertramp
UFO and Cheap Trick
REO Speedwagon
Blue Oyster Cult
Judas Priest
Styx while practicing for the Paradise Theater tour.
Aja
Queen, Billy Squire
Santana, Journey, Thin Lizzy, Eddie Money, Molly Hatchet.
Angel (great forward thinking band that has been forgotten).
Chicago of course!
Steve Vai, Yngwie Malmsteen
Psychedelic Furs a few times.
Joe Satriani quite a few times and also got to meet him last year at a music store while he was in the Chicago area for a concert. We went to that concert at the House of Blues and it was great as usual.
We don't miss him when he comes to Chicago.
Of course many back up bands that I can't remember.
This is a link to an Angel discography. I believe that it is worth the read and they put on a show that gave Kiss a run for their money. Matter of fact Gene Simmons discovered them and was instrumental in the bands success.
Gregg Giuffria, the keyboard player (guy on the left) put on the best synthesizer, keyboard show that I have ever seen and it influenced me to start playing piano and writing music.
http://www.rocknrollhell.com/angel/
The Angel show that I saw was as good if not better than many of others that I have seen. It was the "On Earth as it is in Heaven tour and I'll never forget that street preacher standing on the corner while we entered the theater yelling at everyone to not to go in...

stevo137
03-04-2006, 11:57 AM
Stevie Ray Vaughan would be the absolute top of my Wish I Had Seen Them List. That guy could play like nobody.
Totally agree! His cd's are amoung our favorites in the boat.
Some friends of ours saw his last concert the night he died and they had front row. The lady caught his white guitar pic and still has it.

The band that I wish that I had seen is Pink Floyd.

shepherd
03-04-2006, 07:58 PM
Again, if you like Styx I don't think you would be disapointed. Next time they're near here I'll go see them again.

Thanks Hacker, I'm getting tix! I never was a big Styx fan but I like some of their more rocking stuff (like from the Grand Illusion album).

Here's another one: how about concerts that turned out much better than you expected? Went to a Rod Stewart concert once because a girl I was with loved him (all the girls did then). Turned out to be a great show. Also, had to chaperone my little sister and her friends to a Supertramp concert. Turned out to be glad I went. Finally -- now don't laugh -- but I saw the Pointer Sisters at Universal Orlando Mardi Gras party a few years ago and those old ladies rocked! Of course they had an excellent band with them.

shepherd
03-04-2006, 08:00 PM
The band that I wish that I had seen is Pink Floyd.

Saw Pink Floyd once from the nosebleed section in an open air stadium. The acoustics sucked and could barely see the stage. All I remember is a giant pig floating across the audience :smile:

IMO Pink Floyd is a headphones band, if you know what I mean.

JimN
03-04-2006, 08:58 PM
I found a copy of The Wall, recorded live in '81 (or '83) and it's from the last tour they did with Roger Waters. That is one outstanding disc in terms of the playing, sound quality and arrangements. I think it's the best live recording I have heard and before I got it, I thought Delicate Sound of Thunder was the best. I would like to have seen them all together, but there are rumors of them doing something in the future. They did Live 8 and Roger said he had a blast.

gimmemoedmb
03-06-2006, 02:47 PM
Dave Matthews Band at the Gorge or Alpine Valley. I go to Alpine every year and they are by far the best live act around these days which is why I've seen them live 20 times.

richardsoncd
03-06-2006, 04:48 PM
I found a copy of The Wall, recorded live in '81 (or '83) and it's from the last tour they did with Roger Waters. That is one outstanding disc in terms of the playing, sound quality and arrangements. I think it's the best live recording I have heard and before I got it, I thought Delicate Sound of Thunder was the best. I would like to have seen them all together, but there are rumors of them doing something in the future. They did Live 8 and Roger said he had a blast.

Pink Floyd + Alice in Wonderland = good times

03-06-2006, 04:51 PM
Yes, Kansas completely Kicks MAJOR arse live. just amazing. :eek:

STYX- I would have have LOVED to see STYX in their prime on their 1996 reunion tour. I have the return to paradise live DVD and its awesome, I wish I could have seen it live. but, I hope I dont ruffle feathers here, but STYX without DDY is just a BAD Styx wanna be garage band. They are mostly stand-ins. The Lawrence Gowan cant even hold a candle to DDY. aint even in the same league. He tries to cover up the poor singing with a spinning keyboard. Chuck Panazzo (bass player) retired, John Panazzo(drums) passed away 10 years ago. THe only "real" STYX member is JY. Tommy left for a long time to form Damn Yankees, so he was only really a part time member. Plus, it just dont matter. When you hear DDY sing the opening line to "Lady" "sweet madame blue" "come sail away" or "the grand illusion" you just get the hair on the back of your neck standing up and goose bumps on your arm. There just is NO other voice like his, period. :twocents:

One singer I still want to see, another amazing voice is Steve Perry. If he ever tours again..... I hope he does another solo CD. You can forget him ever doing anything with Journey again, but I would very much to see him sing live. Another tremendous voice.

UMP

03-06-2006, 04:52 PM
Pink Floyd + Alice in Wonderland = good times

Im STILL waitng for Pink Floyd's DSOT or Pulse concerts to be released on DVD........ Hello record company!!! this is 2006!!!! get with the program...... :mad:

AirJunky
03-06-2006, 05:06 PM
I do remember it was the "I Can't Drive 55" Tour.

Not sure about the car on stage.........but then again....I was not the most coherent.
I think that was when he did "Red". It was before he was involved in VH but after Montrose.

stumbledog
03-06-2006, 05:07 PM
Hard to believe there are no Deadheads out here. My favorite shows have been:
1) Traffic - Opened for the Grateful Dead (Early 90's) at Buckeye Lake near Columbus, OH.
2) Grateful Dead - '88 Buckeye Lake and '90 Pine Knob North of Detroit
3) Hootie and The Blowfish - Last Summer Toledo Zoo Amp.
4)Dave Mathews Band W/ O.A.R. Opening - both were awesome - Polaris Amp last summer. Columbus

The only band I want to see next is Widespread Panic.

stevo137
03-06-2006, 05:30 PM
Yes, Kansas completely Kicks MAJOR arse live. just amazing. :eek:

STYX- I would have have LOVED to see STYX in their prime on their 1996 reunion tour. I have the return to paradise live DVD and its awesome, I wish I could have seen it live. but, I hope I dont ruffle feathers here, but STYX without DDY is just a BAD Styx wanna be garage band. They are mostly stand-ins. The Lawrence Gowan cant even hold a candle to DDY. aint even in the same league. He tries to cover up the poor singing with a spinning keyboard. Chuck Panazzo (bass player) retired, John Panazzo(drums) passed away 10 years ago. THe only "real" STYX member is JY. Tommy left for a long time to form Damn Yankees, so he was only really a part time member. Plus, it just dont matter. When you hear DDY sing the opening line to "Lady" "sweet madame blue" "come sail away" or "the grand illusion" you just get the hair on the back of your neck standing up and goose bumps on your arm. There just is NO other voice like his, period. :twocents:

One singer I still want to see, another amazing voice is Steve Perry. If he ever tours again..... I hope he does another solo CD. You can forget him ever doing anything with Journey again, but I would very much to see him sing live. Another tremendous voice.

UMP
I hear ya' about the spinning workstation but I think that Gowan does a good job on the keyboard. There is no way that you can replace Dennis. His piano and voice skills are amazing. Anyway, Tommy and Dennis need bury the hatchet and get back together and play Mr. Roboto!
The band, especially the Panozzo boys were all from my area just south of Chicago.

03-06-2006, 06:28 PM
I hear ya' about the spinning workstation but I think that Gowan does a good job on the keyboard. There is no way that you can replace Dennis. His piano and voice skills are amazing. Anyway, Tommy and Dennis need bury the hatchet and get back together and play Mr. Roboto!
The band, especially the Panozzo boys were all from my area just south of Chicago.

Yessir! I agree. although I dislike Tommy and think he is an arse, He was an integral part of STYX as far as a second singer, and backup singer. I do think JY is a better guitarist and was overshadowed by Tommy(why I dont know). In the 1996 DVD JY;s guitar skills walk all over Tommys. But in the end, I think DDY IS "STYX". The songs, the voice, the keys, the writing, its just all him. The thing that gets me about Dennis is Watching him play and sing "Lady" or "Come Sail Away" his piano parts are Frikkin laser precise while his voice NEVER, EVER misses a note or faulters in any way. He is just an amazing talent. Many people would be overjoyed if they could either play OR sing as good as him, but to do both at that level simulatneously is so rare. One thing thats greatly overlooked with Dennis is/was his synthesizer skills. I dont mean plunking keys, I mean SYNTH! His synth patches were so ahead of his time back in the 70's(and 80's too) His command of the synths power to make music was a great skill few posses. Listen to Mr. Roboto and see all the terrific synth work in it. His portamento glides were always placed so effectively. His synth work was never given due credit IMO. Man, I really get rolling on this stuff.... you guys should know better than to get me going on music... I could drive you guys nuts. :o

UMP

furevo
03-06-2006, 09:22 PM
Steve, believe it or not, Styx's "sail away" is my skiing song.

I forgot to mention another show, Soft White Underbellies (I'm sure some of you know who this is...?) at a small bar/club in Santa Rosa....AWESOME show.

My overall favorite live show from WAY back was Montrose with Sammy Hagar at the Veterans Hall in Santa Rosa (really, really small venue). I was in the front row, and got some great pictures. I'll try to remember to scan one in after I'm back from vaca and post it...

That's going back a few years...

hacker
03-07-2006, 09:24 AM
Thanks Hacker, I'm getting tix! I never was a big Styx fan but I like some of their more rocking stuff (like from the Grand Illusion album).

Cool, hope you enjoy the show! Give us a review.

Farmer Ted
03-07-2006, 09:37 AM
Back in the 80s and early 90s lots of rockin live shows, some pretty big. Including Clapton/Stevie Ray Vaughn the nite Stevie Ray's chopper crashed in WI. Don't get to too many concerts any more. I would rather find a band in a small club / bar on the rare occasions when I can. Last year in Tempe AZ (during sales meeting) stopped by the Library Bar & Grill, band called "Metalhead", playing/spoofing 80s metal/hair band music. Talented gang - the guitar player played most all the riffs dead on. The guys wore wigs and period costumes, it was a blast! If you like that stuff and are in town there, check em out.

http://www.thelibraryusa.com/tempe/

Alpine Mountain, Saw Lallapalloza '92 there,

Red Hot Chili Peppers, Pearl Jam and Soundgarden rocked, Ministry was pretty good too, Ice Cube pretty much sucked the root

jbfootin
03-07-2006, 10:56 AM
A few years back went to see Run DMC, Kid Rock and Aerosmith, mostly to see Aerosmith, but Kid Rock blew everyone off the stage. I was very impressed. He played every instrument on the stage at some point, and had everyone on their feet. If you were not having a good time with him up on stage you didn't have a pulse! :worthy:

east tx skier
03-07-2006, 11:08 AM
Alpine Mountain, Saw Lallapalloza '92 there,

Red Hot Chili Peppers, Pearl Jam and Soundgarden rocked, Ministry was pretty good too, Ice Cube pretty much sucked the root

Saw that same tour in Houston. Funny thing is that, in Houston, Ice Cube stole the show.

JimN
03-07-2006, 11:21 AM
Doug- it's a Valley, not a mountain. :headbang:

I'll never ski the bunny hill at Alpine Valley- that's where SRV's chopper went down. I think there may be a small memorial there.

jb- Kid Rock came out during Tim McGraw's set on the last day of Harley Fest and was definitely the high point of the show.

east tx skier
03-07-2006, 11:23 AM
Doug- it's a Valley, not a mountain. :headbang:

I'll never ski the bunny hill at Alpine Valley- that's where SRV's chopper went down. I think there may be a small memorial there.

jb- Kid Rock came out during Tim McGraw's set on the last day of Harley Fest and was definitely the high point of the show.

Jim, Tim said "mountain." Great venue!

JimN
03-07-2006, 11:27 AM
You're right, I'm sorry.

Timmy!!!

east tx skier
03-07-2006, 11:37 AM
Timmy......

tex
03-10-2006, 10:33 PM
Any Dropkick Murphey fans? I am going to see them tomorow night!

vegashomeexpert
03-11-2006, 01:12 PM
Earth Wind and Fire in 1978 (may all time best), Commodores in 1979. Sammy Hagar opening for Boston in '79. VH 1984 tour, RUSH '83, ZZ Top early 80's, Alice Couper 1979 (amazing), Tom Petty, Men @ Work, NightRanger, etc (mountain air at Angel's Camp), Eric Clapton (Concord Amp. Carlos Santana joined him on stage) 1988, The Who (for $10!) in 2000. Short term memory is shot so I can't remember many in the '90's (or maybe I didn't see many?). Saw Hootie & The Blowfish 2 nights ago at our convention. Their album "Cracked Rearview" is a staple in the boat. Very disappointed. They messed up their hits quite a bit. However, Darias Ruckers voice was awesome for the entire show, and they did a cover of "Boys are back in town" that was phenominal! Thanks for the trip down memory lane! :friday:

shepherd
05-14-2006, 01:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shepherd

Cool, hope you enjoy the show! Give us a review..

Well, saw Styx last weekend. Better than expected. Those guys rocked :guitar: . They played all the standard Styx stuff. Their drummer, who is not an original band member, blew me away. Of the four band members, two were from the original 70's lineup - James Young and Tommy Shaw (though he's not an original original member). They jammed and looked like they were having a blast. The keyboard player I think substituted for Dennis DeYoung admirably, singing and keyboarding many of their old standards. He apparently had a successful solo career in Europe or someplace back in the 70's or 80's.

All in all, a good show and worth the $35 ticket price for 10th row seats.

I hear REO Speedwagon may be the next "big" act coming to town. Life in a small town... :rolleyes: we'll take what we can get. Anybody seen REO recently?

JimN
05-14-2006, 02:11 AM
Was the drummer Todd Sucherman? I've seen him play here in Milwaukee with a band that did old Genesis (pre- Collins as frontman), Yes, King Crimson and some other prog rock. Great drummer. For the Genesis songs, they used two drummers (the other is John Calarco) and John sounds so much like Peter Gabriel it's scary.

shepherd
05-14-2006, 02:19 AM
Was the drummer Todd Sucherman? I've seen him play here in Milwaukee with a band that did old Genesis (pre- Collins as frontman), Yes, King Crimson and some other prog rock. Great drummer. For the Genesis songs, they used two drummers (the other is John Calarco) and John sounds so much like Peter Gabriel it's scary.

Yeah, that's who it was (I had to check the official Styx web site to refresh my memory). The man had skills - fast and powerful.

JimN
05-14-2006, 02:34 AM
Check out the John Calarco website, look at the people he has played with, listen to some of the clips (if there aren't any there, go to www.gregkoch.com and listen), then imagine both playing at the same time. They both have some serious chops and they listen really well to what everyone is playing. It doesn't sound like the Spanish Armada unless they want it to.

tex
05-14-2006, 02:21 PM
U2 in Germany
Van Halen in San Diego
The Judy's in Dallas
The Cult and Lenny in San Diego
B-52's and Ziggy in Dallas

1st concert was when my older brother got stood up and he had to take his middle school brother to see Jimmy Buffett open up for the Eagles on the original Hotel California tour! I wish I still had the concert shirt!

shepherd
06-05-2006, 12:11 AM
Saw the Temptations tonight. Only one original member, but still a good show. The vocals and stage dancing were great, as would be expected. The wife loved it. Well worth the $35 ticket.