PDA

View Full Version : Carb Rebuild

mhobbs01
03-03-2006, 09:25 AM
It's time to rebuild the carb in my '84, I've never done it and I want it to work right when I put it back on. Can I have anyone rebuild it or should I take to the local dealer?

ski_500
03-03-2006, 09:32 AM
I just got mine back from the local shop. I had replaced some gaskets here and there over the years, but I finally decided to get it done by a pro.

east tx skier
03-03-2006, 11:41 AM
I had previous carb done by a local dealer. But my guys charge roughly the same as what my auto mechanic charges.

Hunterb
03-06-2006, 02:47 PM
Is it a Holley 4160? If so then 'rebuild' is a bit of a misnomer. Generally all that's done is a good cleaning and then replacing of the perishable parts like the accelerator pump diaphragm and the vacuum secondary diaphragm. It may mean changing the main jets, but they don't usually wear out. The rest is just gaskets really. If it's leaking from the throttle shafts then I don't believe it's fixable, but it may be.

If you are mechanically inclined it is not difficult to 'renew' a Holley 4160 yourself and spend the money you save on something fun.

Good luck with it whatever you decide.

Bruce

mhobbs01
03-07-2006, 08:28 PM
Thanks for the info, I think they sell the 4160 kit at DIM, maybe I'll give it a shot.

jayderwin1
03-07-2006, 09:03 PM
HunterB is right if it is leaking at the throttle shaft there is no point in rebuilding it. they just get old and worn out from all that movement.

Cloaked
03-07-2006, 10:45 PM
Is it a Holley 4160? If so then 'rebuild' is a bit of a misnomer. Generally all that's done is a good cleaning and then replacing of the perishable parts like the accelerator pump diaphragm and the vacuum secondary diaphragm. It may mean changing the main jets, but they don't usually wear out. The rest is just gaskets really. If it's leaking from the throttle shafts then I don't believe it's fixable, but it may be.

If you are mechanically inclined it is not difficult to 'renew' a Holley 4160 yourself and spend the money you save on something fun.

Good luck with it whatever you decide.

BruceVery true Bruce. A 4160 is very easy to refurbish with the kit from Holley. I eneded up having to call Holley and have them send me a rebuild kit. I got in touch with them in Lebanon, TN.

mhobbs01
03-09-2006, 01:16 PM
Thanks for the help. What/where are the throttle shafts?
The reason that prompted me, other than preventative, to renew the carb is:
at WOT, the engine sputters a little and I only get about 3500 rpm's out of it. This says to me the secondaries aren't working right or something related. I replaced all of the fuel pump, the fuel lines including the hard line and replaced the filter, and the fuel isn't old either. I'm going to renew the carb as a matter of course, but do I have other problems?

Hunterb
03-09-2006, 01:54 PM
You may indeed have other problems. You may want to check your timing and confirm that it is advancing to the correct point at full throttle. I believe that is something like 28 degrees but that may not be correct. Check your distributor to make sure the weights are able to move freely and you don't have a broken spring. Do you have electronic ignition? If you are still fiddling with points etc. then I highly recommend that you take the money you can save on the carb rebuild and spend it on an ignition conversion. They are very easy to do and worth every penny.

I have attached a link that will walk you through the carb refurbish. It's pretty good. You can also purchase a Holley Techbook that is quite helpful when it comes to redoing the carb. The only stumbling block I ran into was a 'helpful hint' in the book that says to open the secondary throttle a bit at idle if you are having trouble with the mixture screw setting, and if that doesn't work, to open it a little further. My experience was that this does not work and will probably add to your frustrations. I got straightened out by a couple of people on this board that know a lot more about carb's than I do.

Check that other stuff and write back. It sounds like you have a relatively simple problem.

Here's the article

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/1999/12/holley/index.php

Good luck

Bruce

mhobbs01
03-10-2006, 08:19 PM
Thanks for all of the help...everybody. I was planning on doing the electronic swap anyway, so I'll start there. I'll post again with the results. I have to hurry, summer is close.

jsonova99
03-20-2006, 09:34 AM
Renewing a 4160 is easy, I did mine last year, only took a few hours. Hardest part was removing the old gaskets.

JimN
03-20-2006, 10:58 AM
mhobbs01- did you change the fuel filter or fuel/water separator? Also, look at the fuel pickup in the tank and the cut-off vlave where the pickup is. There can be garbage in the tank and the pickup can become clogged or the valve can be nudged over time and partially closed.

Cloaked
03-20-2006, 12:39 PM
Renewing a 4160 is easy, I did mine last year, only took a few hours. Hardest part was removing the old gaskets.Word.

Save yourself the dealer cost.

tommcat
03-20-2006, 07:39 PM
the best fix for that holley is to throw it away and put a decent carb on there

mhobbs01
03-30-2006, 08:39 AM
I finished the electronic ignition install, but I haven't tested it on the lake yet. I'm going to "fake" it in the driveway first to make sure everything runs. After reading some of the troubleshooting tips in the PCM manual, I'm still going to rebuild the carb. I just want to eliminate any gremlins before I enjoy the lake. It looks like rain out here in California for a while anyway. Thanks for all the help, I'll post with results soon.

mhobbs01
04-11-2006, 03:51 AM
Well, it started anyway. I found about half of my spark plug wires were busted, so she didn't run super. New ones are on their way, along with plugs. The list of new parts this spring is getting long.
New Parts:
Steering cable
Helm
Impeller
belts (on the way)
fuel filter
Fuel lines (all)
Electronic ignition conversion
Cap and Rotor
Exhaust manifold gaskets (on the way)
Spark plug wires
Spark plugs
and a bottle of 303, priceless.
I'll post with results ver. 2.0

mhobbs01
05-09-2006, 08:51 AM
Sorry for the delay, but I finally tested with perfect results. I had to reset the gap on the new elec. ignition and she ran sweet. Ready for summer just in time...it hit 90 degrees here yesterday.