PDA

View Full Version : Is this the correct filter?

richardsoncd
03-02-2006, 10:42 AM
Is this the correct filter to use on my 79 S&S. My concern mounts from the product discription that says:

OIL FILTER 302/351 FORD *Some PCM GM*
*Also Used On PCM GM Engines With Remote Oil Filters (Located Near The Top Of The Engine). Excalibur, Pro Sport, SeaMaxx.

BrianM
03-02-2006, 12:18 PM
That is the one. Just go to NAPA and get a Napa Gold filter that is a match for the FL1A filter. If I remember correctly it is a 1515. Great filters and readily available.

TonyB
03-02-2006, 06:08 PM
This is the one I get (available at all autoparts stores).

Fram PH8A
http://www.fram.com/enlarged/images/framOil1.jpg

east tx skier
03-02-2006, 06:10 PM
That is the one. Just go to NAPA and get a Napa Gold filter that is a match for the FL1A filter. If I remember correctly it is a 1515. Great filters and readily available.

And the Motorcraft FL1A isn't a bad choice either (said the non-mechanical English major).

TMCNo1
03-02-2006, 07:16 PM
This is the one I get (available at all autoparts stores).

Fram PH8A
http://www.fram.com/enlarged/images/framOil1.jpg

Used this one [PH-8A] too since day ONE!, and it also fits my wife's FORD EXPLODER.:smile: :smile: But mine have never had the hole in the side like the one pictured! Probably because i use the Filtre Official that the hespanic guy sells at AUTOZONE and I have a chrome cover over it. :dance:

lakes Rick
03-03-2006, 01:03 AM
Just a comment here.

EVERY auto website I go on condemns Fram filters.. Pictures of them taken apart show how POOR of a filter they have become.. Use anything but a Fram.. Wix, K&N, Napa GOLD, are all good ones..

My boat is a V-drive so the filter is kinda pain to get at.. I use the Camaro filter instead of a truck size. Much easier to get on and off due to it being a little shorter in size.. I change it every year so no need for a larger one that barely fits.. Cant remember if the direct drives are easier to do... Just my 2 cents.....

BrianM
03-03-2006, 09:46 AM
Cant remember if the direct drives are easier to do... Just my 2 cents.....
The direct drives are really easy to do. Right in front and easily accessable.

JohnnyB
03-04-2006, 12:57 AM
Heard the same thing about Fram....

I buy mine at Carquest...it's actually a WIX filter.....crosses with a PH8A....Carquest 85515 (get the premium one).

BriEOD
03-04-2006, 08:36 AM
Get a Ford MotorCraft.

east tx skier
03-04-2006, 10:03 AM
I'll third that. FL1A.

ski_king
03-04-2006, 10:08 AM
I will 4th it.

FL1A is all I have ever used. Well, not exactly true, when I first got my boat it was called the FL1.

I found a stash of 10 of them iin my dads garage and there was a reciept in the bag showing he paid 99 cents each for them on sale a few years ago.

TonyB
03-04-2006, 10:35 AM
Just a comment here.

EVERY auto website I go on condemns Fram filters.. Pictures of them taken apart show how POOR of a filter they have become.. Use anything but a Fram.. Wix, K&N, Napa GOLD, are all good ones..

Hmmmmmm. Alrighty then.

But since I changed my oil and filter yesterday, I will wait another 50-100 hours to switch oil filter brands.

I never knew FRAM was so roundly condemned. But then I don't nuttin' that you guys don't tell me. :D