PDA

View Full Version : Riding Mower Suggestions

BriEOD
03-02-2006, 08:36 AM
My new place is 1/3+ acres and has a huge backyard. I'm in the market for a mower. I'd like to stay under $2500. Beau tells me I should stay away from Briggs and Stratton engines.

So, any thoughts/suggestions?

mrcrowson
03-02-2006, 08:38 AM
This one would work great!

erkoehler
03-02-2006, 08:39 AM
There is an older thread on here about this also, maybe there will be some more info here:

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=5190&highlight=lawnmower

BriEOD
03-02-2006, 08:40 AM
Is that your's Michael?

mrcrowson
03-02-2006, 08:43 AM
Yea... Wish.. I use a Toro
http://www.toro.com/home/images/wpm_20058_r_210515_md.jpg
My yard is not all that big..

ski_king
03-02-2006, 08:44 AM
You need a rider for a 1/3 acre?

I push a lot more than that in less than an hour.
Landscape all you can to eliminate grass.

It keeps me in shape for skiing.

Leroy
03-02-2006, 08:48 AM
Maybe a small ZTR, cub cadet or Toro. I cut our two hour mow down to about 30 minutes with a ZTR on 0.75 acre.

BriEOD
03-02-2006, 08:53 AM
You need a rider for a 1/3 acre?

I push a lot more than that in less than an hour.
Landscape all you can to eliminate grass.

It keeps me in shape for skiing.
It's closer to 2/3 of an acre that is why I put "1/3+." I guess I could have put 2/3-. It is a huge back yard. I'm going to do a workshop/extra garage at some point. Some other points a) it's Florida and you almost have to mow 2x's a week. b) the off duty commander will probably be doing the lion's share of the mowing this summer (I'll be elsewhere). I like John Deere and it sounds like I need to find a store not HD or sLowes.

erkoehler
03-02-2006, 08:57 AM
It's closer to 2/3 of an acre that is why I put "1/3+." I guess I could have put 2/3-. It is a huge back yard. I'm going to do a workshop/extra garage at some point. Some other points a) it's Florida and you almost have to mow 2x's a week. b) the off duty commander will probably be doing the lion's share of the mowing this summer (I'll be elsewhere). I like John Deere and it sounds like I need to find a store not HD or sLowes.

My neighbor has the JD tractor that HD sells for just over a grand, and it does a nice job. He seems to really like it, and it has held up well. He has had it for 2 seasons, going on 3 and cuts his lawn 2-3 times per week during the majority of the summer.

mrcrowson
03-02-2006, 09:01 AM
HEY BRIAN!!

FOUND ONE NEAR YOU
Southern Equipment & Machinery (http://jddealer.deere.com/sfs/)

BriEOD
03-02-2006, 09:02 AM
Thanks Michael! I know right where that is on 41. You want to go with me next week and help me spend some of my money? :D

mrcrowson
03-02-2006, 09:03 AM
LOVE Doing that

BriEOD
03-02-2006, 09:09 AM
Yeah as long as we don't end up at BAWS! :D

T Scott
03-02-2006, 09:09 AM
I suggest you buy a nice ink pen and write a check for lawn service. To me, it is the best $100 a month I spend. I'd rather be on the lake skiing. Come on guys, Priorities!!!! :D

BriEOD
03-02-2006, 09:10 AM
I suggest you buy a nice ink pen and write a check for lawn service. To me, it is the best $100 a month I spend. I'd rather be on the lake skiing. Come on guys, Priorities!!!! :D
We actually enjoy doing it. As sick as that sounds.

ski_king
03-02-2006, 09:10 AM
Well then go for it, make sure you get hydrostatic.

Is it a level lot?

erkoehler
03-02-2006, 09:11 AM

WOW, that is a great deal. Up here, we got a quote of $55 PER CUT...ouch!

BriEOD
03-02-2006, 09:14 AM

Is it a level lot?
Yeah Denny it is really level. It has a TON of landscaping. Some really beautiful trees: crape myrtles, legustrums, water oak, magnolias. Let me see if I have a photo.

MYMC
03-02-2006, 09:18 AM
I bought a Scag (hydo walk behind) last year and have not used the John Deere since (for lawn work anyway).

Just my :twocents: but the customer service (follow up calls and surveys) is pretty amazing, particularly when you remember it was a lawn mower and not a new car! Free hat when you complete the initial survey and a shirt on its birthday. Take a look at what the commercial guys are using and you'll see a lot of Scag mowers.

BriEOD
03-02-2006, 09:20 AM
Thanks Mike.

bcampbe7
03-02-2006, 09:23 AM
Yes, my advice was to stay away from Briggs & Stratton and make sure the engine has a pressurized oil system.
I took outstanding care of my old rider and the motor blew after only 2 years. After that happening to me I found others that had similar problems with Briggs.

You should be able to get a great riding mower for $2500.
JD and Cub Cadet make great riding mowers but those that HD, Lowes and Tractor Supply sell will probably have Briggs engines.

MYMC
03-02-2006, 10:15 AM
Thanks Mike
Anytime...good luck to you and the family in your new home.

BTW...if you get one of these once you learn how to handle and run it get the little trailer (dolly) and have fun...good grief this thing is fast!

Workin' 4 Toys
03-02-2006, 10:22 AM
On my list.
That is the number 1 must have in Rider mowers, without a doubt.
Number 2, must be a John Deere, if you shop for a Deere, look at the ones with the GREEN frames first. And no they don't all have green frames.

east tx skier
03-02-2006, 10:27 AM
Brian, first thing. Do you have a gate to your back yard? How wide is it? Unless you want to yank it out and put in a big one, that will dictate deck size.

Once we'd answered that question, we were limited to a 30" deck. Went with the base model at Home Depot and got the bagging attachment. It has a B&S engine and runs just fine. I'll be hitting the two year mark with it this September, so hopefully I'll have better luck with mine than Beau did with his. It was under $1,000 with the bagger.

Datdude
03-02-2006, 10:28 AM
Yea... Wish.. I use a Toro
http://www.toro.com/home/images/wpm_20058_r_210515_md.jpg
My yard is not all that big..

The Toro Personal Pace system is AWESOME-best $500 I have spent. We have 5 acres of land with about 1 acre or so of grass and I can mow it all in just over an hour. I actually like walk mowing my yard. It gives me a chance to zone out.

Leroy
03-02-2006, 10:29 AM
If anyone has a service checklist would be interested in sharing. Never took much care of my push mowers, but with the $$ the ZTR cost it has my attention. THis info actually came from my dealer.

Agree with the hydrostatic comment, very nice.

east tx skier
03-02-2006, 10:30 AM

During the summer, with the riding mower, I can get the front and back yard done in less than 30 minutes. I used to be a big supporter of our local lawn boy, but they'd always leave us hanging when the leaves started to fall. In two weeks, we can accumulate 40 bags of unmulched leaves. Mulched, it's about 15 bags or so. That's just the back yard. Add about 6 bags of pine needles for the front yard. The mower ran us $50 per month for a year (no interest). It's been a great investment.

... and it has a beer holder. :friday:

mbeach
03-02-2006, 10:34 AM
purchased a sx73 jd in 88 and is still running like a deer. with bagger, ran about $1300. even thouogh i live in iowa, we now have a lake place near you between starke and waldo west of us301 that came with a jd sx75 (my mower except has an electric start). i get down there probably every 6 wks or so. bottom line is that jd's will last a lifetime if they are taken care of -- kinda like a mastercraft.

BriEOD
03-02-2006, 10:59 AM
Doug, I have a 100" double gate. The boat and truck will fit through it. In time I'm going to build a workshop/garage in the back yard.

In looking at the JD website all the 100 series mowers have Briggs and Stratton engines. Once you get to the 300 series they have JD engines.

BriEOD
03-02-2006, 11:00 AM
purchased a sx73 jd in 88 and is still running like a deer. with bagger, ran about $1300. even thouogh i live in iowa, we now have a lake place near you between starke and waldo west of us301 that came with a jd sx75 (my mower except has an electric start). i get down there probably every 6 wks or so. bottom line is that jd's will last a lifetime if they are taken care of -- kinda like a mastercraft.
I ride on 301 all the time cutting from 75 to 95. How big is the lake?

bcampbe7
03-02-2006, 11:03 AM
Doug, I have a 100" double gate. The boat and truck will fit through it. In time I'm going to build a workshop/garage in the back yard.

In looking at the JD website all the 100 series mowers have Briggs and Stratton engines. Once you get to the 300 series they have JD engines.

Brian,
Come on up here and I'll let you test drive my JD for about 30 minutes around the yard with the mower on. :D

Maristar210
03-02-2006, 11:06 AM
I suggest lawn service. The last thing I want to have to do after work is cut the grass. I want to be on the boat after work. Coming up with the $575 per year is the hard part though.

Steve

BriEOD
03-02-2006, 11:07 AM
Beau,

That is WAY to much mower for me. Although very cool, Carla would KILL me! A very close friend of mine has a Ford Tractor on his property down in Tampa (Lutz). Cody LOVES to ride on the tractor. He turns the steering wheel and thinks he is driving. We chase the chickens. He just LOVES it.

bcampbe7
03-02-2006, 11:11 AM
Beau,

That is WAY to much mower for me. Although very cool, Carla would KILL me! A very close friend of mine has a Ford Tractor on his property down in Tampa (Lutz). Cody LOVES to ride on the tractor. He turns the steering wheel and thinks he is driving. We chase the chickens. He just LOVES it.

It is for me too. I was just trying to get you to mow my lawn.

For anyone else that wants to test drive a JD this Summer on my lawn, let me know. :D

east tx skier
03-02-2006, 11:18 AM
Brian, sounds like you've got room to spend a whole lot of lawn mower money! :) My father in law has two John Deere mowers. One for the house. One for the lake. Never heard of him having trouble with either of them.

Get the bagger.

BriEOD
03-02-2006, 11:49 AM
It appears that the 100 series are the Home Depot specials. Anyone know?

Leroy
03-02-2006, 11:50 AM
To clarify Doug; Unless you want the grass clippings, I would not get the bagger. Most of the high end mowers chop grass to where it just disappears. I'm very happy with our mower without a bag.

bcampbe7
03-02-2006, 11:53 AM
It appears that the 100 series are the Home Depot specials. Anyone know?

I believe your right.

I should have clarified my Briggs Statement earlier. I would 100% stay away from the Briggs engines that use the "flipper" oil delivery system. If you can find a Briggs with a pressurized oil system, ie. uses an oil filter, you may be OK.
I see that all of the JD mowers at Lowes here use Briggs engines. I do not know if they have the pressurized system or not though.

My Crapsman had a 21HP V-Twin Briggs engine with the "flipper" oil delivery system. I could have bought a new Crapsman with the money it was going to cost me to replace the engine.
I chose to upgrade. :D

east tx skier
03-02-2006, 12:07 PM
To clarify Doug; Unless you want the grass clippings, I would not get the bagger. Most of the high end mowers chop grass to where it just disappears. I'm very happy with our mower without a bag.

As does mine. To clarify my bagger recommendation, I can pull 40 bags of leaves out of my back yard alone unmulched (that's 2 weeks accumulation). And that's just the back yard. The bagger is pretty much a must for me. It cuts an all day job down to a 2 hour one. I'd be sunk without it.

bcampbe7
03-02-2006, 12:18 PM
As does mine. To clarify my bagger recommendation, I can pull 40 bags of leaves out of my back yard alone unmulched (that's 2 weeks accumulation). And that's just the back yard. The bagger is pretty much a must for me. It cuts an all day job down to a 2 hour one. I'd be sunk without it.

A bagger is a God send for picking up leaves.
I don't have to pick-up leaves now but have in the past. Having a bagger was the easiest thing to use. Definitely easier than a lawn sweeper.

Leroy
03-02-2006, 12:25 PM
Leaves....our first house had that same problem. The next 4 have not!

east tx skier
03-02-2006, 12:32 PM
A bagger is a God send for picking up leaves.
I don't have to pick-up leaves now but have in the past. Having a bagger was the easiest thing to use. Definitely easier than a lawn sweeper.

I'm about to throw our leaf sucker in the garbage. What junk. The bagger doesn't actually put them into bags, but it does mulch them up and put them in nice neat little pile. I just reach back and pull the handle to dump. I've seen the kind that have bags on the back. My neighbor has one. He is getting off his mower every five minutes to change them out. Seems possible to me that it could be six of one, half a dozen of the other when all is said and done. ICBW.

Next house will have fewer trees.

BriEOD
03-02-2006, 01:01 PM
I've been fortunate and not had to deal with the leaf issue. Nor will I have to in the new place.

mbeach
03-02-2006, 03:57 PM
I ride on 301 all the time cutting from 75 to 95. How big is the lake?
800+ acres with one public access. is immediately west of cr18 and us301. looked at sante fe and someone bought the lot the day i looked. really like this smaller quiet lake and it is in bradford county rather than alachua.

BriEOD
03-02-2006, 07:27 PM
Sounds pretty sweet. How often do you make it down?

TMCNo1
03-02-2006, 07:43 PM
Got a 1998 JD LT155, 15hp Koehler engine, Freedom 42" mulching deck, that cost $2850 new, I bought it in 1999 for $1600, been mowed with 3 times. I had it 4 weeks and push rod stuck and blew up, JD dealer replaced engine under original owner warranty and has been going ever since. Mow 1 1/4 acres. Hood is pinstriped in flames and top of hood says, "NOTHING RUNS LIKE A DEERE IN HEAT". Been thinking of painting the boat and trailer to match mower and I'll have a neat TOW RIG! If I ever find time to learn to scan and post pics I'll do it! It's probably cleaner than the boat and thought about putting a mini teak platform on the rear but don't know what to use to keep the teak like new!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mbeach
03-02-2006, 10:07 PM
Sounds pretty sweet. How often do you make it down?
as often as family lets me have a get out of jail free pass, usually every 6 weeks or so.

bobk
03-02-2006, 10:12 PM
IMO the best lawn tracter, is the one the guy you pay to do the lawn is on while your out on your MC. :steering:

For my early B-day gift my wife pays for the lawn care. Best money spent. That's atleast 2 hours more every week on the MC.