PDA

View Full Version : Anyone read their kids blog's?

Maristar210
03-02-2006, 08:48 AM
My 20 year old daughter has her own weblog and posts rather openly in there from time to time. I have not told her I read them and look at it occassionaly to see what she has to say.

The question is.....

Is this wrong?

H20skeefreek
03-02-2006, 08:53 AM
post the link, we'll see if it's over the line...we can only hope. Oh you are asking if you are over the line in looking at it? yes and no. She is an adult, but on the other hand, it's a public website.

bigmac
03-02-2006, 08:59 AM
My 20 year old daughter has her own weblog and posts rather openly in there from time to time. I have not told her I read them and look at it occassionaly to see what she has to say.

The question is.....

Is this wrong?

I suspect she knows that you have a computer and knowledge of the internet. Surely she wouldn't post anything there she didn't want you to see. It's not even inconceivable that you are one of the main people she's posting the blog for.

BriEOD
03-02-2006, 09:02 AM
Hey if it is on the internet for the entire world to see I say it is free game.

Personally, I think that the MySpace and Blogs are getting a lot of people in trouble when they go for employment. Companies higher people to go read all this stuff and then provide a report.

Maristar210
03-02-2006, 09:03 AM
post the link, we'll see if it's over the line...we can only hope. Oh you are asking if you are over the line in looking at it? yes and no. She is an adult, but on the other hand, it's a public website.

H2O

I'd rather not introduce all the "dudes" on here to my daughter. You understand. The content is not bad at all..

Steve

Leroy
03-02-2006, 09:42 AM
I don't see any problem with it Steve, maybe she can share your late night posts also?:uglyhamme

While mine are younger I on rare occasion read my kids emails and chat threads. Sometimes they get told they are over the line. Seems to be the way kids talk now around other kids.

twieder
03-02-2006, 11:15 AM
I definately think parents should moniter their kids computer habbits.
At 20, i'm not so sure she needs looked after so much, but I agree with the idea that a blog is putting your laundry out for all to see.

Most times a simple Google search will find most blogs too!

Workin' 4 Toys
03-02-2006, 11:16 AM
I have some much younger relatives into it. And I must say, from what I have seen, some people cross the line, it may not be her, but others do. And you can bet your bottom dollar I will be watching when it comes time for that in my house.

bcampbe7
03-02-2006, 12:13 PM
I would do it in a heartbeat. It's not about snooping, it's about making sure your kids are safe.

east tx skier
03-02-2006, 12:17 PM
Slightly off the subject, but I've got a friend with younger daughters. He keeps the computer in the kitchen. If it's right in the middle of everything, he thinks, they're less likely to get into something they shouldn't.

Sounds reasonable.

bcampbe7
03-02-2006, 12:23 PM
Slightly off the subject, but I've got a friend with younger daughters. He keeps the computer in the kitchen. If it's right in the middle of everything, he thinks, they're less likely to get into something they shouldn't.

Sounds reasonable.

Reasonable, yes...
But unless he is right over their shoulder he probably isn't seeing everything.
Kids today are much more technologically advanced than most adults will ever be.

east tx skier
03-02-2006, 12:32 PM
Well, knowing this guy. He is. Plus, his wife worked for Compaq for years. They's gots the computer smarts.

quincyfirefighter
03-02-2006, 11:14 PM
I would do it in a heartbeat. It's not about snooping, it's about making sure your kids are safe.
I feel the same way. Now days you have to do what you can to keep your kids save

6ballsisall
03-02-2006, 11:19 PM
Hey if it is on the internet for the entire world to see I say it is free game.

Personally, I think that the MySpace and Blogs are getting a lot of people in trouble when they go for employment. Companies higher people to go read all this stuff and then provide a report.

Yep! I interviewed someone today whom apparently had their own site (noticed by their email address, the url was their name) let's just say when I decided to check it out after the interview it took this person out of the running. :rolleyes:

SKI*MC
03-02-2006, 11:30 PM
i have some blogs, none of them are bad... infact on is asking for Prayers for Spencer Griffin, and the other one... i forgot, probably having to do with my boat or something...

EDIT:

My wakeboard forsale, and my wakeskate. (still for sale) :banana:

Ric
03-02-2006, 11:47 PM
steve, I voted prior to reading your post. Not that it would have changed my vote, but I guess at 20, she's pretty much ready to do as she pleases.
I'd only do it in the chance that I might keep our girls from getting mixed up in one of these schemes we read about weirdos from chatrooms and such. 20.... I am guessin, she already knows.

SKI*MC
03-02-2006, 11:49 PM
:D ;) my mom always asks me if they guys are talking to on here are perverts. i lie.... haha

88 PS190
03-02-2006, 11:52 PM
I must admit, i said too far. I'm 20 myself, and while 20 year olds can get in trouble, i think that at this point as long as she's been advised of the dangers that can occur online that it could be time to pull the training wheels.

She is still your little girl but she isn't 13 or 14. If she knows you read it, and its just a public place that she doesn't mind you accessing then its one thing. I have friends that post webspaces to keep their family in touch.

But if this is her social page and you are "keeping tabs" in secret that is another.

One thing is for sure, if you moniter your childs stuff tell them that you are doing so. It will prevent issues between you. NO one should lurk and then bust them.

Ric
03-02-2006, 11:52 PM
:D ;) my mom always asks me if they guys are talking to on here are perverts. i lie.... haha
well duhhhhh, we have the best swimsuit thread of all that is waterskiing!

erkoehler
03-03-2006, 12:20 AM
Yep! I interviewed someone today whom apparently had their own site (noticed by their email address, the url was their name) let's just say when I decided to check it out after the interview it took this person out of the running. :rolleyes:

Whatever happened with the Target one?