PDA

View Full Version : How to run radio w/o running the hour meter?

dwe
09-19-2004, 06:27 PM
I put in my stereo today, and it sounds great. 6x9 mb quart speakers, amp, and head unit. My question though is to if there is a way to run the radio w/o having the key to the on position, in which the hour meter operates. It would be nice to listen to the radio sitting w/o having the clock running. My boat came w/ a radio from the factory, so I just rewired it from original. My '95 ps 190 has the hour meter in the tach.

Thanks!
David

Leroy
09-19-2004, 08:07 PM
DWE; I hope I'm not saying the obvious, but your switch doesn't have an accessories position? You could put in a new key switch with accessories position. Radio on accessories and clock only on run position.

Assuming not then you can wire the radio directly to the battery, downside being if you forget to turn it off, dead battery.

H20skeefreek
09-19-2004, 08:13 PM
I put in my stereo today, and it sounds great. 6x9 mb quart speakers, amp, and head unit. My question though is to if there is a way to run the radio w/o having the key to the on position, in which the hour meter operates. It would be nice to listen to the radio sitting w/o having the clock running. My boat came w/ a radio from the factory, so I just rewired it from original. My '95 ps 190 has the hour meter in the tach.

Thanks!
David

interesting thing i once heard from a MC dealer. "everyone who owns the boats usually unhooks the hour meters at about 300 hours, then hooks it back up when they go to sell it, except for the newer ones, they can catch you on those." Made me really want to buy one from him. So, if you were asking this question to him, he'd say unhook the meter.

JimN
09-19-2004, 09:02 PM
Are you using all of the accessory switches? Use one of those or install an additional one. I would also think about installing a Battery Buddy. It shuts off when the voltage drops low enough. You just reset it and start the motor so you can at least get home.

georgea0731
09-19-2004, 10:22 PM
Don't know if your boat has them or not, but I took mine of the ignition switch and hooked it up to an accessory switch, so I just turn on the switch and the radio works without the key being turned.
Good luck!

dwe
09-19-2004, 10:40 PM
I'm not using either of my accessory switches, so that should work out great. What is the easiest way to wire it into the acc. switch? Do I follow the switchable power wire from the radio and hook it into the acc. switch?

Thanks!
David

JimN
09-19-2004, 10:44 PM
That would be the plan. I would use a test light or meter to check for voltage when the switch is flipped. Then attach the red wire going to the stereo, to the switched terminal. Use the right connector, usually a red female quick disconnect for this kind of application.

Lake_Tippy_Skier
09-20-2004, 09:52 AM
I wired mine directly to the battery terminals, just unscrew the wing nut and put them on or off. Quick and easy. Just make sure that you have inline fuses intalled on the positive lead.

Tom Wortham
09-20-2004, 10:06 AM

Thanks!
David

Maybe it's just on the older boats... But, on my '86 I didn't think the hour meter was runing as long as the engine was not running..... even with the key in the "on" position. :confused: Can anyone confirm?

Thrall
09-20-2004, 10:17 AM
Your ignition switch should have an accessory position, like a car. My radio works in the acc position ( turn key back to the left) and the hr meter only runs w/ the ign in the on position. You may want to trace to where the radio power is wired into. This is on a '96 PS, very similar to your '95.

dwe
09-20-2004, 07:07 PM
As far as I know, the key switch only turns to the right, and has on and start. I'll check to see if there's an accessory position to the left like on a car. Mine should be just like your '96.

jimmer2880
09-22-2004, 05:42 AM
Stock ignition switch on my 95 had an acc position. However - when I had to replace it, skidim only had one without the acc position. I may be changing it back soon to one with the acc for this very reason.

Sounds like your ignition switch may have been replaced at some time.

dwe
09-22-2004, 09:25 AM
I checked for an acc position on the ignition, and there wasn't. It must be an aftermarket. Still undecided as to which way to hook it in (new ignition, or acc switch). Would an ignition w/ acc allow power to stay on when you shut down, or crank up (if you had a cd in, would it turn on, then turn off, then on)?

JimN
09-22-2004, 09:41 AM
Usually, the ignition switch will disconnect the accessory and the ON terminals during crank. Unless the CD player starts at the beginning of the track every time it turns on, this shouldn't be a problem. To eliminate this, you can use an accessory switch, fed by a lead with constant voltage.