PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice on System for the 1984 SS

oldschool84
02-27-2006, 11:46 AM
Looking to hook the old girl up this spring with a wicked sound system need some advice on what others have done???? ANY PICS WOULD BE GREAT. Looking to add SAT. Radio, cd changer???, speakers, amp, subs, New Head unit. Some folks say use only marine equipment, others have said use a good auto system????? :confused:

I'm looking for your .02

Bobby
02-27-2006, 01:07 PM
I think it depends on where you store your boat. If you store it inside then a car setup would work just fine. I have an 84 S&S with a stereo setup, but no pics of it. I dont plan on having any because I took my stereo out and am planning on selling the boat for a newer one. Anyway - what I did was run a dual battery setup with an isolator switch. I mounted the amp underneath the passenger seat with the CD deck tucked away behind the air inlet hoses (it was a stereo with a wire remote). The speakers I had were 2 6'', 2 6''x9'', and a 12'' sub. Needless to say it was more than enough to rock out. All my stuff is marine grade minus the subwoofer and it works just fine, but if you store your boat indoors then go for a car system.

oldschool84
02-27-2006, 09:29 PM
thanks for the tips man

sberry3827
03-01-2006, 07:23 PM
check your pm

kalanic
03-01-2006, 07:29 PM
Looking to hook the old girl up this spring with a wicked sound system need some advice on what others have done???? ANY PICS WOULD BE GREAT. Looking to add SAT. Radio, cd changer???, speakers, amp, subs, New Head unit. Some folks say use only marine equipment, others have said use a good auto system????? :confused:

I'm looking for your .02
Check the Stereo Systems Thread I posted today. There are some ideas what people are running. It really depends on how much money you wanna spend & how loud you wanna be. I personally go with Car Audio subs & amps. I use Marine head units & component speakers because these are the most likely for me to see getting wet & exposed to the elements.

erkoehler
03-01-2006, 08:42 PM
I am running Sony Xplode speakers, amps, and head unit made for autos, and haven't had any problems as of yet.

RackAtak
03-01-2006, 09:28 PM
Slight Jack...
Erk-
how many amps (and which model? I have the 4060GTX) and how many speakers? And how are they wired?
BTW...my amp is on 1/2" spacers under the observers seat to keep it somewhat dry.

erkoehler
03-01-2006, 09:38 PM
Slight Jack...
Erk-
how many amps (and which model? I have the 4060GTX) and how many speakers? And how are they wired?
BTW...my amp is on 1/2" spacers under the observers seat to keep it somewhat dry.

I mounted the amp to the side wall between the bow storage and drivers legs.

I just have the one amp right now, but would like to add one more if it is needed. I haven't fully completed the install yet as the speakers go, but it is going to be either 7 or 8 speakers.

Rockman is going to help me sort out the wiring in the spring/next month, so I am not sure on that part.

erkoehler
03-01-2006, 09:38 PM
I think it is 1000W????? Not really sure, the boat has been in storage too long:(

OSUspenc99
03-02-2006, 12:25 PM
I am looking to do the same thing in my 84 S&S. The only thing that i am trying to figure out now is where do i mount the speakers. Any ideas on this? I know that some of you have helped me out but wanted to see what others might suggest. As far as mounting the head unit i am going to mount it somewhere under the bow then run a wired remote and mount that to the dash. I am going to make sure that you can get to the unit easy so connect iPod or change CDs.

Thanks

Bobby
03-02-2006, 02:27 PM
I am looking to do the same thing in my 84 S&S. The only thing that i am trying to figure out now is where do i mount the speakers. Any ideas on this? I know that some of you have helped me out but wanted to see what others might suggest. As far as mounting the head unit i am going to mount it somewhere under the bow then run a wired remote and mount that to the dash. I am going to make sure that you can get to the unit easy so connect iPod or change CDs.

Thanks

Where I mounted mine behind/beside the air inlet hoses with a wire remote to the dash worked perfect. It was close enough to change cd's yet protected from water. As for the speakers I just made my own boxes to the dimensions I wanted and covered them in the same carpet as the interior then mounted them to the sides. It was a little bit of work but it worked beautifully. :guitar:

oldschool84
03-04-2006, 09:47 PM
Where I mounted mine behind/beside the air inlet hoses with a wire remote to the dash worked perfect. It was close enough to change cd's yet protected from water. As for the speakers I just made my own boxes to the dimensions I wanted and covered them in the same carpet as the interior then mounted them to the sides. It was a little bit of work but it worked beautifully. :guitar:
If you had some pics that i could see that would be great. sounds like what i am trying to do :headbang:

OSUspenc99
03-12-2006, 10:45 PM
i am trying to do the same. How did you go about mounting them to the side of the boat is what i dont know. Thanks for all the help.