PDA

View Full Version : Is DIM the only store that talks “SKI BOAT”

MarkP
09-17-2004, 04:49 PM
Today I called West Marine for price and availability of the cap and rotor for my MasterCraft. What they told me was,

“Uh, doh hum-er-ahhh” , “Two different deerrr, ahh three um maybe parts ahhhhhhh”. Separate sometimes ahhh, what one do you have drrrr? “Looks like drrrrrr, ah, I Don’t Know“…

Well, thanks for the help W M:uglyhamme !
I guess I will use the ol mail order instead of driving 10 min to West Marine to buy parts

BriEOD
09-17-2004, 04:57 PM
Ok Thomas, what's up with that. Get in their and defend your store.

Thrall
09-17-2004, 05:08 PM
I've found West Marine in Phoenix to be pretty clueless when I looked for ski boat parts. General stuff too, like straps for my cover, and a keel roller for my trailer. I don't shop there anymore.

MarkP
09-17-2004, 05:30 PM
At the end of the conversation I was told I would need to go to Sierramarine.com and try to look it myself and get back with them.:purplaugh

H20skeefreek
09-17-2004, 05:31 PM
Ok Thomas, what's up with that. Get in their and defend your store.

here's the deal....well ummm... you see....actually...........

no for real though. here's the deal: ski boat is a hard language to speak. Most people we deal with do not have 351W motors in thier boats, it's just not as common as we would like to think. Also, customers NEVER have enough information. here is a common situation: And MarkP, i am by no means speaking with knowledge of your situation.

Customer: "I need a distributor cap for my MC."

WM Associate: " do you know which one you need, there are at least 100 possibilties for distributor caps."

Customer: "it's a 1993"

WM: "ok sir, you see, the marine parts business does not work like the auto parts business. There are thousands of different boat manufactureres, so you see, we cannot have a large database of parts like autozone or advance auto."

Customer: "its a 1993 Prostar 190" or a Bayliner Capri or a Sea Ray Sundancer......it goes on and on.....

WM: "ok, sir, you you have the original equipment part number?"

Customer: "It's a Blue boat"

WM: "Can you please bring in the part so we can cross reference it?"

Customer: "IT'S A bleepin MASTERCRAFT COMPETITION SKI BOAT, IT'S A 1993 AND IT'S BLUE!! THE CAP IS BLACK!!! IT HAS PLUG WIRES COMING OFF OF IT!!! DON'T YOU KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT SKI BOATS?, I HAVE THE BEST BOAT IN THE WORLD, AND YOU DON'T HAVE THE PART NUMBER MEMORIZED IN YOUR TINY HEAD??? YOU ARE SOOOO bleepin STUPID" the next thing you'll tell me is that you don't have it in stock YOU STUPID bleeper THIS IS A MASTERCRAFT!!!".

WM: Sorry, i don't know call skidim.

really, when you walk in the door, you need to ask if they have a Sierra parts book handy. if they do not, you aren't going to get anywhere. and if you can, have the part with you. and have any information that might actually be helpful. like maybe the motor manufacturer (PCM, INDMAR, MERCRUISER) and the horsepower, and type of distributor and any thing that actually pertains to your situation. AND realize that most people that work at WM do not own Ski boats.

Thrall, i don't know how you could have problems finding that stuff. Maybe your trailer calls for something uncommon, but most of that stuff is normal stuff that all 365 stores stock.

johnpdodd
09-17-2004, 05:34 PM
I have used SkiDim regularly and they are excellent. Ask for Vince or Richard - both own and restore inboard ski boats. They know their stuff and are very helpful on the advice side. They negative sell if anything telling me I really don't need a new whatever - just do such and such. I have found their parts are excellent and fairly priced.

JimN
09-17-2004, 05:34 PM
Thrall- what's wrong with Manny, Moe and Jack? Otherwise, the Chevy dealer just west of I-10(I think). Not Earnhart, I think the name starts with C.

MarkP
09-17-2004, 05:39 PM
H2O, I knew it,:o I knew it,:o !!

I forgot to tell them it was blue. :o Dam me, dam me to hell:uglyhamme

JimN
09-17-2004, 05:40 PM
Thomas- you forgot to mention motor, outdrive and transmission serial number, since Mercury, Mercruiser, OMC, PCM, Force, Evinrude and Volvo-Penta (among others) all refer to this when a part number has superceded to a new one. By any chance, do you have microfiche or go online, like Merc's Midas system with part numbers and exploded views? Sierra does have most things covered, though.

MarkP
09-17-2004, 05:45 PM
John DIM rocks:headbang:

I called them the other day for an impeller. Gave him my name, he asked “ on your 93 and if that was all”. Same addy he asked and would you like to pay with the same card? Ok its on the way see ya:wavey:

H20skeefreek
09-17-2004, 05:50 PM
Thomas- you forgot to mention motor, outdrive and transmission serial number, since Mercury, Mercruiser, OMC, PCM, Force, Evinrude and Volvo-Penta (among others) all refer to this when a part number has superceded to a new one. By any chance, do you have microfiche or go online, like Merc's Midas system with part numbers and exploded views? Sierra does have most things covered, though.

No Jim unfortunatly we do not have acces to MercNet or Midas. It's been talked about before, but it's not a project that has been undertaken yet. some of the Boat US stores though, i believe, do have access.

YES all of that other information "mention motor, outdrive and transmission serial number," is necessary, I just didn't mention it b/c we are mostly talking about PCM and Indmar motors. I WISH PCM and Indmar refered to that, but w/o it's kind of a gamble.

H20skeefreek
09-17-2004, 05:53 PM
John DIM rocks:headbang:

I called them the other day for an impeller. Gave him my name, he asked “ on your 93 and if that was all”. Same addy he asked and would you like to pay with the same card? Ok its on the way see ya:wavey:

I can't deny it, skidim def. rocks :headbang: I'm in the same town as skidim, and even though my prices are better (for me at least) if i'm in a hurry, i'll call vince. And he's invited me to ski a bunch of times (don't want to ski behind a nauti though) I'll probably hit his spot this weekend.

H20skeefreek
09-17-2004, 05:55 PM
H2O, I knew it,:o I knew it,:o !!

I forgot to tell them it was blue. :o Dam me, dam me to hell:uglyhamme

don't forget to say blue and PINK. that's critical.

NOTE: I attempted to include a smile, but evidently there are too many images in my signature to allow it.

MarkP
09-17-2004, 06:01 PM
Hey that’s a bad photo!!:mad: That’s Red, um sort of..:o ..

NOTE: I attempted to include a DB, but evidently there are too many images in my signature to allow it.

Oopt, got it,:banana: ..

Rockman
09-17-2004, 06:16 PM
West Marine is pretty much useless. Only time we stop in there is to use the washroom on our way out of town.

Associates can usually tell customers where that is at least. Unless it relates to a sailing boat, the selection is limited and the prices are nothing to write home about.

No offense to anyone who works at WM and frequents this site.

H20skeefreek
09-17-2004, 06:22 PM
West Marine is pretty much useless. Only time we stop in there is to use the washroom on our way out of town.

Associates can usually tell customers where that is at least. Unless it relates to a sailing boat, the selection is limited and the prices are nothing to write home about.

No offense to anyone who works at WM and frequents this site.

none taken. opinions.....you know what they say. :D

on a side note, out of 1100 pages in our catalog 100 is taken up by sailboat products, so your analysis is off.

I'll be sure to tell you illinois stores to change thier 65,000 piece inventory to adjust it to suit your needs for your 19ft skiboat. :steering:

Rockman
09-17-2004, 06:25 PM
H20skeefreek,

Sorry, I agreed with your comments in the other thread! :D

Just stereotyping the WM personnel in the IL area. The stores themselves are more geared toward sail boats and non-skiing boats.

BTW, ours is actually 21ft.

H20skeefreek
09-17-2004, 06:39 PM
H20skeefreek,

Sorry, I agreed with your comments in the other thread! :D

Just stereotyping the WM personnel in the IL area. The stores themselves are more geared toward sail boats and non-skiing boats.

BTW, ours is actually 21ft.

:toast: no big deal. so you must be in the chicago area? unfortunatly most boats are non-skiing boats.

Thrall
09-18-2004, 12:10 PM
Thomas, I probably shouldn't have thrown my $.02 in, but I called WM for something a few months ago, a general part, not MC or Indmar specific, as I wouldn't expect them to stock repair parts for every boat made.
That's what Autozone, Chevy dealer, and MC dealer are for.
Anyhow, the response I got from the employee was "We're WM, we are the biggest marine store in town, I'm sure we have that, were open til 5 oclock. When I went to the store, they didn't have what I had asked about (wasted trip). He then handed me a catalog and said, " I'm sure it's in here, would you like to place an order?"
I could have done that from my own house, the point was to get those items today, not in the mail a week later.
Another time, I went in to get a couple things I was prety sure they had. They didn't have a standard 10" wide keel roller (out of stock) and when I asked about straps for my cover, the guy showed me a single cover strap for like $10. The cover takes 12 straps, and I got a pack of them from Overton's for $25. From WM, it would have cost me $120 for tiedowns.
They may be a good outfit to deal with, I've just not had a favorable experience w/ them.

H20skeefreek
09-18-2004, 09:00 PM
Thomas, I probably shouldn't have thrown my $.02 in, but I called WM for something a few months ago, a general part, not MC or Indmar specific, as I wouldn't expect them to stock repair parts for every boat made.
That's what Autozone, Chevy dealer, and MC dealer are for.
Anyhow, the response I got from the employee was "We're WM, we are the biggest marine store in town, I'm sure we have that, were open til 5 oclock. When I went to the store, they didn't have what I had asked about (wasted trip). He then handed me a catalog and said, " I'm sure it's in here, would you like to place an order?"
I could have done that from my own house, the point was to get those items today, not in the mail a week later.
Another time, I went in to get a couple things I was prety sure they had. They didn't have a standard 10" wide keel roller (out of stock) and when I asked about straps for my cover, the guy showed me a single cover strap for like $10. The cover takes 12 straps, and I got a pack of them from Overton's for $25. From WM, it would have cost me $120 for tiedowns.
They may be a good outfit to deal with, I've just not had a favorable experience w/ them.

"We're WM, we are the biggest marine store in town, I'm sure we have that, were open til 5 oclock."---unfortunatly being the biggest sometimes bites us in the ***. Some of our associates can get a "yeah we have it, no doubt attitude". It's something that we have had to deal with it. you do NOT get that at my store. What the guy should have said is "we MAY have it in stock, let me check for you. If we don't have it in stock I will order it for you." Granted, you wanted it right then, and we didn't have it, that upset you. BUT worst case scenario we could have gotten it within a week (as long as we had them in the warehouse, which sometimes we cannot help b/c of supplier issues). AND if you order it from the store, you pay no shipping if we have it come to the store. AND if it's under 5 lbs we can ship it STRAIGHT to you at no additional charge (barring hazmat or some other shipping restriction) At my store, we would have called around for you first to see if you could get it in town.

NOW, as far as those danged straps go (it's always an issue). it is a 2 pack and it is roughly 10bucks. It's a rip-off. That is how Taylor Made Products packages them. They should have showed you a multi-pack of poly cords (which work better, it's what i have) or showed you to the department to supply you with the parts to make your own straps (yes, a pain, i Know) I send my apologies from WM.

Sorry i got so upset earlier, it's just that sometimes customers get irrate with us, when it's them that don't have the right info.

NOW, it's the weekend, i'm done talking about WM. I don't work until Monday, and I would like to keep it that way.

GOOD NEWS: I completed 2 whole sets today at 28mph 15off with the gates. It was just the mini course, but i have to start somewhere.

MORE GOOD NEWS: My wife, who said she had no desire to run the course, ran it today. She's got the bug. she ran the course twice and to all 6 at 15off and 25mph.

Thrall
09-21-2004, 03:08 PM
Didn't mean to be baggin' on you Thomas. I'm pretty sure it's just the particular help in that store that has made my experience less than enjoyable.
Either that, or you know: "Another a$$hole with a Mastercraft!" :steering: