PDA

View Full Version : Florence Alabama

Leroy
02-25-2006, 10:32 PM
Does anyone ski or live near Florence Alabama?

My best man and friend from college bailed from corp life and living in Alexandria VA to buy a marina in Florence Alabama. He is moving down in March and the rest of the family in June. I'm so envious of him! He is going to live on one of his houseboats until June!

Restaurant, bar (believe we better qualify that place), ~140 slips (full), store, house boat, pontoons and jet skis for rent, and FREE WiFi!

I think the place may be called Misty Harbor now. If you get a chance go see Bruce and Eva, I'm sure they will help you any way possible! I told him he needs to put a salom course in to bring in early morning and evening skiers.

6ballsisall
02-25-2006, 10:37 PM
Sounds like a roadtrip to me!!! :firejump:

bcampbe7
02-25-2006, 10:44 PM
That's only 2 hours 45 minutes from me. :cool:

Leroy
02-25-2006, 10:53 PM
I'm sure we will go there this summer!

I'll check out a little more, could be another Team Talk reunion site!

erkoehler
02-25-2006, 11:54 PM
I'm sure we will go there this summer!

I'll check out a little more, could be another Team Talk reunion site!

Now that is a ROAD TRIP, wish him good luck from us..... :D

Leroy
02-25-2006, 11:55 PM
Thanks Eric, probably 7 hours for me.

Now that is a ROAD TRIP, wish him good luck from us..... :D

shepherd
02-26-2006, 06:09 AM
7 1/2 hours for me. :steering: Man, Alabama is a tall state

Having lived in Alexandria, VA for 12 years, I can say to your friend: GOOD MOVE!

Upper Michigan Prostar190
02-26-2006, 08:32 AM
thats about a 18-20 hr trip for me :(

one thing that sucks about being here, its so far from everywhere. It would be fun to attend these get togethers you guys have. :(

Tom023
02-26-2006, 09:27 AM
Looks like a realy nice marina, especially compared to what mine looks like. Alexandria to Florence, he is definitely in for some culture shock :eek:

6ballsisall
02-26-2006, 09:30 AM
thats about a 18-20 hr trip for me :(

one thing that sucks about being here, its so far from everywhere. It would be fun to attend these get togethers you guys have. :(

De Plane, De Plane! :D

Leroy
02-26-2006, 10:09 AM
I don't think as much for him and his wife as it will be for his 14 and 15 yr old daughters! :rolleyes:

Actually his father in law designed and built it. Same look as the marina in Edgar Evans state park at Center Hill Lake (designed and built that one also) if you have been there.

Looks like a realy nice marina, especially compared to what mine looks like. Alexandria to Florence, he is definitely in for some culture shock :eek:

Tom023
02-26-2006, 10:47 AM
I should get his name and forward it on to the owners of my marina for redesign. The current state of my gas dock, no kidding; and there are no bikini clad gas dock girls either! :mad:

Leroy
02-26-2006, 11:23 AM
I'm sure they would love to. He really does quality work. Here is the father in law who has designed/owned many marinas and lot of other big buildings.

Maffett, inc. (maffett@citlink.net) 6 South Madison Avenue, Arcade Building, Cookeville, TN. 38501 telephone:931-526-7920 fax: 931-528-8430 Maffett, inc. continues a design and construction tradition which spans seven generations of Maffett builder's. Between the present principals William C. Maffett (forty years experience) and Brian D. Maffett (fifteen years) the firm holds licences in engineering, architecture, and general contracting (unlimited). With experience in every field and aspect of design and construction, Maffett, inc. stands capable to serve all clients and varied projects.

Leroy
05-04-2006, 09:04 AM
Well my friend has updated the internet site and had the grand opening for the restaurant this past weekend. Stop in if you are going past Florence Marina. Mention me and you'll probably get charged double!

You can see from the pictures Tom, pretty nice design.

http://www.florenceharbor.com/

TonyB
05-04-2006, 09:57 AM
Florence AL, is my hometown and currently a 1 1/2 hour drive from my current residence near Huntsville.

Florence is a great little town. It is the birthplace of W.C. Handy (father of the blues) and they have a weeklong Jazz and Blues Festival every summer. It is home to the University of North Alabama (Div II Powerhouse).

The marina is situated at MacFarland Park where there is a beautiful golf course and camp ground. There is a "barge canal" that runs parallel to the main river course of the Tennessee River that provides entry to the locks through Wilson Dam. This barge canal was a favorite hangout for our ski club on many a weekend. There are no slalom courses available there but the water is dead calm (except for when the barges are coming through).

Our ski club used to maintain a slalom course on Shoals Creek (between Florence and Killen). I don't think there is an active ski club there now but I'm sure there are many active skiers. I know Danny Bevis is still skiing because his name usually shows up in the "Southern Region" results.

I never understood why the restaurant wasn't more successful under the previous management. I ate there several times and always enjoyed the atmosphere.

If your friend ever gets tired of eating in, tell him to go across the highway to Dale's Restaurant (home of the world famous Dale's Steak sauce) for the best steaks in the world.

Leroy
05-04-2006, 10:36 AM
Thanks for the info Tony. Bruce mentioned the barge canal as the place to go and said there are ski boats going out every morning. I think he is will to put in a course and help keep it up if there is enough interest there locally.

Poor management has been the past problem, that will not be a problem with my friend.

Leroy
07-23-2006, 09:16 PM
Tony and anyone else around the area;

If you are around the marina Monday - Thursday of this week stop in! I'll be there visiting.

TonyB
07-24-2006, 06:24 PM
Tony and anyone else around the area;

If you are around the marina Monday - Thursday of this week stop in! I'll be there visiting.

I will likely be over at least on night during the W.C. Handy Jazz Festival.

Wednesday night at the harbor with Kent DuChaine sounds like a good time. I've seen Kent before and he is great.

Tuesday night at North Court Street has always been a good time for me to meet some of my old buds.

Also, my mom is in the hospital in Florence so I will definitely be coming to visit her. I will make it a point to look you up.

playtherapy
07-25-2006, 11:55 AM
There should also be a lot of activity in Florence at McFarland Park for the Trail of Tears Bike Ride, Saturday, September 16th. In the past there are over 30,000 bikes that make the stop. There are the "bike" people and then there are the "boat" people. It's always lots of fun. After they leave Florence they go to Waterloo, AL for the overnight stay. We usually take our boat to Waterloo, were the boat poeple are making a substancial standing! Lots of vendors, music, carnival food and traditional Native American dancing.

Leroy
07-26-2006, 12:12 PM
Do stop in Tony, I am here at this moment! Really nice marina, restraurant, tiki bar and the live music is great so I hear!

Everyone is looking forward to Kent.

Leroy
07-26-2006, 12:13 PM
Stop in and look up my friend Bruce! The new owner of the FLorence Marina.

There should also be a lot of activity in Florence at McFarland Park for the Trail of Tears Bike Ride, Saturday, September 16th. In the past there are over 30,000 bikes that make the stop. There are the "bike" people and then there are the "boat" people. It's always lots of fun. After they leave Florence they go to Waterloo, AL for the overnight stay. We usually take our boat to Waterloo, were the boat poeple are making a substancial standing! Lots of vendors, music, carnival food and traditional Native American dancing.

Leroy
07-27-2006, 12:33 PM
Was great to meet you last night Tony! I'm sure I'll be back down here again and hope we can get out for a ski run.

That was really great live music!

TonyB
07-28-2006, 11:31 PM
Was great to meet you last night Tony! I'm sure I'll be back down here again and hope we can get out for a ski run.

That was really great live music!
Hey Leroy,

Thanks for the beer. It was great to meet you too! I hung out till Kent DuChaine was finishing up his final set and then I hit the road for the 2 hour drive home.

Sorry I didn't get to say goodbye and thanks for the beer.

Let me know when you get back down this way.

Tony