PDA

View Full Version : Towing Capabilities?

erkoehler
09-17-2004, 04:55 PM
I have access to a 2000 Astro Van that has a V6 engine in it. Would that be enough power to pull a 3500 pound boat and trailer? I tried the manual, but it doesn't specify. The hitch is rated for well over that amount, but I wanted to make sure it would not be to much for the van.

Anyone else tow with a V6?

bcampbe7
09-17-2004, 04:56 PM
I would be worried about the drivetrain more than the engine.

erkoehler
09-17-2004, 04:59 PM
It has the tow/haul feature, and I could start in a low gear.

Basically, I will have to tow it from Northern Texas to Chicago, IL.

After that, it would only be short trips.

Bert
09-17-2004, 05:02 PM
I have access to a 2000 Astro Van that has a V6 engine in it. Would that be enough power to pull a 3500 pound boat and trailer? I tried the manual, but it doesn't specify. The hitch is rated for well over that amount, but I wanted to make sure it would not be to much for the van.

Anyone else tow with a V6? I pulled mine around with one of those for a while when I had the kids at the age you need one of those nerd wagons :eek: Sure wasn't good for it. Don't travel in any hilly country. Now I use a Dodge Cummins and go over the Rocky mountains like they aint there :D

erkoehler
09-17-2004, 05:05 PM
My car is a 2002 Monte Carlo SS, but I don't think that would tow the boat! :steering:

MY MOM has a van, and I could use that to tow the boat if needed.

I really don't want to trade in my nice sports car for a truck right now. :(

bcampbe7
09-17-2004, 05:07 PM
It looks like it will handle it. It's not a diesel, but...
This is from MSN.com

Overview
Introduction

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While most minivans are based on car platforms, the Chevy Astro is very much a truck. The Astro Cargo Van has been very popular with fleet operators since its introduction in 1985. Astro has one of the most powerful engines in its class, and the maximum towing capacity of 6000 lbs. is also highest in its class. Astro is unique among minivans with its optional rear "Dutch Doors," which combine a full liftgate window with split-panel hinged doors below.
New for 2000

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The 2000 Chevrolet Astro features a number of improvements, including a new plastic fuel tank with a capacity of approximately 27 gallons; quieter operation for the Vortec V6; a new standard tow/haul switch for improved transmission operation when towing or hauling; an improved anti-lock brake system (ABS); and an optional remote keyless entry system with panic alarm.

erkoehler
09-17-2004, 05:11 PM
Thats a relief, I bet the gas mileage is going to be horrible.

bcampbe7
09-17-2004, 05:16 PM
I bet the gas mileage is going to be horrible.
I'de say your right...

H20skeefreek
09-17-2004, 06:36 PM

I pull my MC with a s10 with the same v6. my in-laws pulled there 19ft. I/O with an astro. It'll struggle at times, but it'll do fine.

Rockman
09-17-2004, 07:23 PM
H20skeefreek,

I agree with you. Before we bought our 2500HD, we pulled our BF200 (which is definitley lighter) with a 94 blazer (with the Vortec 4300 V6) for a long time and we got 180k out of the truck with no trans problems. Unless you drive the truck/van hard, you can probably get away with making the trip. Just remember it's not a V8 and don't expect it to perform that way.

The drive from Texas will just take a lot of patience and alot of understanding as to what the trans is doing. I would only recommend it if you had to do it.

erkoehler
09-17-2004, 07:32 PM
Basically, if I want the boat, I would have to make the trip down there. I could pay someone to transport it, but I think that is over priced. I can just shoot down there (18 hrs) and bring to buddies along. Probably have it there and back in two days.

Rockman
09-17-2004, 07:35 PM
What are you buying? Are you getting a good deal?

Just take it easy and keep an eye on the temp on the van. Try not to switch gears between the D, 2 and 1 like so many peopl often do. D should work through most conditions.

Good luck!

H20skeefreek
09-17-2004, 07:42 PM
What are you buying? Are you getting a good deal?

Just take it easy and keep an eye on the temp on the van. Try not to switch gears between the D, 2 and 1 like so many peopl often do. D should work through most conditions.

Good luck!

yeah, if the area you are driving is pretty flat, you can put it in overdrive, but in hilly areas put it in D and drive 60-65.

Footin
09-17-2004, 07:58 PM
I use to to my 190 with a Caravan and it did pretty good. I did have the tranmission replaced at 40k under warranty, I don't know if that was from pulling the boat or not. I was also told never to tow in overdrive.

Bert
09-17-2004, 08:28 PM
[QUOTE=bcampbe7]It looks like it will handle it. It's not a diesel, but...

bcampbe7 is right. I was just kidding. If you must have a van the astro is the best for towing. I chose the astro cause it is built on a truck chassi and towed through the rocky mountains, never had a problem with the drive train and it did OK too, pulled the major mountain passes at 55mph with my prostar on a tandem axle (about 3500lbs when full of gas and gear) The new vans with the tow /haul and more powerful engine should be better.
It was the all wheel drive model, was a gas guzzler and used up tires real fast. You should have no problems in that part of the country.

Wes
09-17-2004, 11:46 PM
I just pulled a 205 with a Windstar from Southern California to British Columbia, not a problem. 1500 miles in total. I was quite impressed with the van, not a problem going over any of the mountain passes. Actually I expected the worse going over the hills. but ended up pleasantly surprised. I did install a transmission cooler, that is a must. Good luck

tph
09-18-2004, 02:20 AM
Braking is another consideration...Does the trailer have brakes?

erkoehler
09-18-2004, 02:29 AM
Yeah, the trailers both have brakes.

I am either looking at a

1. 2000 Mastercraft Prostar 190
2. 2003 Moomba Mobius LSV

I am trying to figure out which boat would best match my demands. I am a beginner at the wakeboard, decent at combo trick skis, beginner at single trick, new to barefooting, and an okay slalom skier. Wouldn't find me in the course though. On the other hand, my brother is good at the slalom and loves the course, and can trick decently.

My parents previous boat was just a runabout, so either boat would be an awesome improvement.

Any advice would be great! My concern is that the LSV is really big, and it may throw off to large of a wake for a decent slalom run and may make it tricky on barefoot runs. On the other hand, the MC is three years older, no warranty, and would limit the number of people that can come with because of the closed bow.

Guess I got my work cut out for me, what a dilema.

H20skeefreek
09-18-2004, 07:43 AM

I am either looking at a

I am trying to figure out which boat would best match my demands. I am a beginner at the wakeboard, decent at combo trick skis, beginner at single trick, new to barefooting, and an okay slalom skier. Wouldn't find me in the course though. On the other hand, my brother is good at the slalom and loves the course, and can trick decently.

My parents previous boat was just a runabout, so either boat would be an awesome improvement.

Any advice would be great! My concern is that the LSV is really big, and it may throw off to large of a wake for a decent slalom run and may make it tricky on barefoot runs. On the other hand, the MC is three years older, no warranty, and would limit the number of people that can come with because of the closed bow.

IMHO.....and you'll get lots of conflicting opinions on this. The Moomba is a decent boat. DECENT you will notice quality issues between it and the MC. The Moomba simply isn't built as well, and as sturdy. If you don't mind us asking, what are the asking prices on both? what is NADA on both? what options do they have? both have towers or just the moomba? give us the rundown on both boats, and you'll get an honest opinion.

Basically what i'm saying is the MC will be nicer. but don't count out the Moomba if the price is right. and how much is price a factor?

as far as the wake goes, since you are coming from an I/O either will be an improvement, but i'd ski behind both. do as much as you can behind both. I'd do at least the 2 events that are the most important to you. and find out if the moomba will do your barefoot speed.

east tx skier
09-21-2004, 03:25 PM
You'll be fine towing. I'd leave the overdrive off the whole time just to be on the safe side. We towed our Prostar several times with my wife's Explorer with a V-6. It now has close to 180K miles with no resulting tranny troubles. It's not the same as towing with an 8, but it'll do the job.

NeilM
09-22-2004, 12:26 AM
I agree with Doug.. you shouldn't have any problems as long as you're not planning to break any land speed records...

All depends on the gearing. If the Astro was factory delivered with the trailer towing package, that V6 will do an amazingly good job. I pull our MariStar - probably over 4000lbs with the trailer once loaded with gas & stuff - with a V6 Blazer through the Rocky Mountains (in some places, the grade is more than 8%) -- no problems at all. BTW, on the newer ones (including my '97) GM says to leave it in 3OD unless you're in a situation where it's continuously 'hunting' back and forth... I've got 216,000kms (133,300 miles) on my Blazer - much of it pulling something -- with no issues (knock on wood).

Bert
09-22-2004, 01:29 AM
still a more relaxing trip over the Rockies with the diesel, going up the hills with that awsome tourqe and coming down with the jake brake holding your speed

jimmer2880
09-22-2004, 07:45 AM
still a more relaxing trip over the Rockies with the diesel, going up the hills with that awsome tourqe and coming down with the jake brake holding your speed
I don't know of a "consumer" grade diesel truck (ford, dodge, chevy) that has a Jake Brake.... Chevy has the Allison tranny, which does downshift, but it still isn't a Jake Brake.

Jake Brakes actually just turn-off the fuel to selected cylinders. There are more things that happen, but that's basically how they work. I have a bud who is an engine engineer at Mack Trucks... I'll have to ask him for more info.

Anyway - my ex-brother-in-law pulled his flightcraft for many years across Maryland's mountains with his Chevy Astro (I think it was an '86). It handled rather well. You shouldn't have any problems. Just remember to watch your engine temps & be nice to your tranny.

Bert
09-22-2004, 10:07 AM
I don't know of a "consumer" grade diesel truck (ford, dodge, chevy) that has a Jake Brake.... Chevy has the Allison tranny, which does downshift, but it still isn't a Jake Brake.
I have a Jacobs jake brake installed on my Cummins engine in a Dodge truck. It is basically a valve in the exhaust that restricts exhaust flow and uses the engine as abrake. I had it installed by Cummins and the engine valve springs were also replaced with stronger ones to handle the pressure. It is interlocked with the throttle as well. Mine has a label on it that say's "Jake Brake" so I call it a Jake brake ;) .

http://www.jakebrake.com/content.php4?doc_uid=71

east tx skier
09-22-2004, 11:50 AM
BTW, on the newer ones (including my '97) GM says to leave it in 3OD unless you're in a situation where it's continuously 'hunting' back and forth... .

They told me that when I bought my Expedition, too. I just don't think I trust them though. Still rolling about the fact that that Exped has a 3.31 rear on it and a 6,700 towing capacity. Glad I spent a few bucks on a tranny cooler. Of course, Ford is finally putting 3.73 standard on its trucks. Wecome to the party.

captkidd
09-22-2004, 12:21 PM
Harold Page, Team MC member #1, has towed with a Chevy Astro van for years and years. It's painted to match his '89 PS190, and it may be an '89 also. He routinely towed to Florida for Owner Reunions and stuff. I don't know if he's had any problems with it, but the last time I saw him (2-3 years ago), he was still using it.

Bert, what model Dodge do you have? I have a '98 with the Cummins engine. You must do a lot of towing to justify the jake brake?

NeilM
09-22-2004, 01:40 PM
I have a Jacobs jake brake installed on my Cummins engine in a Dodge truck. It is basically a valve in the exhaust that restricts exhaust flow and uses the engine as abrake. I had it installed by Cummins and the engine valve springs were also replaced with stronger ones to handle the pressure. It is interlocked with the throttle as well. Mine has a label on it that say's "Jake Brake" so I call it a Jake brake ;) .

http://www.jakebrake.com/content.php4?doc_uid=71
You're both right. Jacobs makes the "engine brake" and the "exhaust brake", so they're both 'jake brakes', I suppose. What Jimmer was referring to is the "engine brake" which both shuts off the fuel supply and, more importantly, restricts the travel of the valves, creating substantial resistance and the legendary loud "rrrappp" noise out the exhaust of commercial rigs.

east tx skier
09-22-2004, 01:48 PM
A bit random, I realize, but I've got an old March 1995 Water Ski Mag here that gives the Chevy Astro Van a good review as a tow vehicle.

Bert
09-22-2004, 03:17 PM
Harold Page, Team MC member #1, has towed with a Chevy Astro van for years and years. It's painted to match his '89 PS190, and it may be an '89 also. He routinely towed to Florida for Owner Reunions and stuff. I don't know if he's had any problems with it, but the last time I saw him (2-3 years ago), he was still using it.

Bert, what model Dodge do you have? I have a '98 with the Cummins engine. You must do a lot of towing to justify the jake brake?

It's a 96 12 valve 2500 4x4. I got the truck from my father in law. He did a lot of towing and put the brake on. I think it was 1800 bucks back in 96 :eek: . I don't need it and could never justify the cost. I don't need a diesel to tow my prostar but hey, the price was right :D and it does a great job. I used a safari all wheel drive van to tow the prostar for six years and never had a problem.
Is your cummins the 12 valve or 24 valve?

Bert
09-22-2004, 03:18 PM
You're both right. Jacobs makes the "engine brake" and the "exhaust brake", so they're both 'jake brakes', I suppose. What Jimmer was referring to is the "engine brake" which both shuts off the fuel supply and, more importantly, restricts the travel of the valves, creating substantial resistance and the legendary loud "rrrappp" noise out the exhaust of commercial rigs.

That's cool. Ididn't know the fuel was shut off on the large engines. allways learning some thing on here.

Ric
09-22-2004, 04:08 PM

I am either looking at a

You want a good deal on a very very nice y2k prostar, you need to call me before you go buy a moomba :)

jimmer2880
09-22-2004, 04:43 PM
Yea - I didn't know about the exhaust blockage gate.... interesting....

captkidd
09-22-2004, 04:49 PM
It's a 96 12 valve 2500 4x4. I got the truck from my father in law. He did a lot of towing and put the brake on. I think it was 1800 bucks back in 96 :eek: . I don't need it and could never justify the cost. I don't need a diesel to tow my prostar but hey, the price was right :D and it does a great job. I used a safari all wheel drive van to tow the prostar for six years and never had a problem.
Is your cummins the 12 valve or 24 valve?

Mine is the 24 valve, 4x4 quad cab. It's a great truck and engine. I'd really like to drive one of the new Dodges with the upgraded Cummins; the only bad thing is that they are quieter now. Love that noise.

Bert
09-22-2004, 09:29 PM
Yea - I didn't know about the exhaust blockage gate.... interesting....
It works quite well when you have a load. With an empty pickup it doesn't make much difference unless you down shift

Bert
09-22-2004, 09:36 PM
Mine is the 24 valve, 4x4 quad cab. It's a great truck and engine. I'd really like to drive one of the new Dodges with the upgraded Cummins; the only bad thing is that they are quieter now. Love that noise.

I drove the new one. Wow, it's got lots of power. I want one but can't justify the cost when the 96 works so good and drives like new. Got caught in a southern alberta windstorm (130mph gusts) and the paint was sand blasted off so it looks like new as well, after the insurance company paid 8000 bucks to repaint it and put new glass in it. :)

captkidd
09-23-2004, 03:45 PM
$8000! Who repainted it, Picasso?

BriEOD
09-23-2004, 05:30 PM
I'm a little late chiming in (been a very busy week) but better late then never. I tow my 190 (no trailer brakes) with a Toyota 4Runner with a V6. I've been using it for 3 years now and haven't had a lick of trouble. I have a 5K lb hitch and I put on a transmission cooler. I wouldn't recommend driving it around in overdrive while towing. If the 4-Runner gets tierd (Toyota's never die) I guess I can tow behind the gas hog, 04 Expedition.

Bert
09-23-2004, 08:10 PM
$8000! Who repainted it, Picasso?
just a painter in a body shop. That included stripping all molding. door handles , mirrors, running boards replacing all glass in cab and topper and painting truck, topper, replacing stainless lower rocker panels and striping. Yaa, I was shocked with the cost but all I paid was the 500 deductible. He did a good job. I might even let him paint my road runner.

captkidd
09-27-2004, 12:21 PM
Is that "Road Runner" as in "Beep! Beep!"? If so, what model and let's see some pics.

east tx skier
09-27-2004, 06:23 PM
If the 4-Runner gets tierd (Toyota's never die) I guess I can tow behind the gas hog, 04 Expedition.

Brian, at least with an '04, you got a 3.73 rear end.

André
09-27-2004, 08:53 PM
Brieod
I taught that Carla said no way you were going to hook up that boat behind HER truck?

Bert
09-29-2004, 01:18 AM
Is that "Road Runner" as in "Beep! Beep!"? If so, what model and let's see some pics.
Yes its a 74 Roadrunner GTX with the 440. I have owned it for 22 years and it is original paint and interior. The engine has been modified :D and it is very fun to play with. I will see if I can dig up some pics. The car is three hours away in storage at the farm

pbgbottle
07-21-2012, 01:40 AM
bump .will my astro van make it up the Coquihalla Hwy to salmon arm pulling a 1988 tristar 190 on a tandem . my rig is loaded . what kind of tongue weight are these trailers putting on the hitch ? are they setup correct from the dealer .?? shuswap here i come .its gonna be a slow go ..

sp00ky
07-21-2012, 04:44 PM

We have been using our nissan Quest for towing our 94 205. It's ok and I added a tranny cooler and have been ultra paranoid about smelling the fluid to see if it's burnt. It's not fun on hills but it gets the job done and has no issues at the ramp. I expect I'm shortening the life span of transmission and suspension.

loeweb
07-21-2012, 06:09 PM
Didn't tmcno1 tow with an astro van? Not sure if it was a v8 or not but I know I've seen pics.

madcityskier
07-21-2012, 08:48 PM
Towed a 4,000 supra to hell and back with no problems. Actually from Madison WI, to Spirit Lake IA. No problem. I have pulled my Stars and Stripes to Tennessee and back with a 4cyl Isuzu Amigo at 75 repeatedly with no issues, not that it's relevant to this question.

Covi
07-21-2012, 08:57 PM
I use to pull our 89 with a chevy astro. Do not hesitate for one second. The rig will pull it. I sold my Astro finally for 350.00 with 315,000 miles no joke. Boy do I miss the old Stabbin Cabbin. USe to take middle row and last row seats out.

Thrall
07-23-2012, 02:29 AM
Uhhhhh, you guys are answering an 8 yr old question!

To the guy pulling the CohquhillA pass sp?, i'd say you will struggle alot. That's a 8% grade for a while I think. Keep her wound in 2nd and hope you don't have to hit 1st befoer the top.

erkoehler
07-23-2012, 12:35 PM
This thread was quite the flashback!