PDA

View Full Version : Living in the following cities

6ballsisall
02-24-2006, 07:30 PM
Can you buy a decent home in this areas for 450k or less in this area?

- Los Angeles (all suburbs that you'd feel comfortable raising a family in that are within an hour of the downtown area)
- Washington, DC (same scenario)
-Boston, MA (same scenario)

LakePirate
02-24-2006, 08:10 PM
From looking at housing due to the possibility of relocation I'd say no.

I interviewed for a job in DC and was looking at a hour and 1/2 commute to get into an affordable house. Of course I wasn't looking at 450K houses, I am not one to be house payment poor, been there, done that.

rodltg2
02-24-2006, 08:10 PM
Doubt in la

6ballsisall
02-24-2006, 09:04 PM
From looking at housing due to the possibility of relocation I'd say no.

I interviewed for a job in DC and was looking at a hour and 1/2 commute to get into an affordable house. Of course I wasn't looking at 450K houses, I am not one to be house payment poor, been there, done that.

I hear you there! Thats why I ask. What area did you look at that got you into affordable housing? hour and 1/2 seems like to much of a stretch for me but worth investigating.

LakePirate
02-24-2006, 09:07 PM
I don't remember exactly where it was but it was well outside the beltway. I will look around and see if I can remember. Just for grins look in Arlington.

LakePirate
02-24-2006, 09:09 PM
Now you have to remember that traffic around DC is horrible. When I worked at suntrust we argued back and forth with the DC guys as to who had the worst traffic.

I think we were looking at Manassas and Yorkshire but I am not positive.

6ballsisall
02-24-2006, 09:34 PM
Next question, what lake options are there for the cities mentioned above. How busy do these lakes get?

6ballsisall
02-24-2006, 09:35 PM
Now you have to remember that traffic around DC is horrible. When I worked at suntrust we argued back and forth with the DC guys as to who had the worst traffic.

I think we were looking at Manassas and Yorkshire but I am not positive.

Atlanta traffic sucks too! Do you think DC is worse?

LakePirate
02-24-2006, 09:35 PM
I will be over at Bob's place....

SteveO
02-24-2006, 09:46 PM
JR, IMO, Don't let the "promise" of the future lock you into a city or job that takes you away from what keeps you balanced. Any chance of the Dallas area in a relocation? GREAT cost of living, tons of lakes and good weather. $450k will buy you a phat pad in the metroplex.

6ballsisall
02-24-2006, 09:48 PM
JR, IMO, Don't let the "promise" of the future lock you into a city or job that takes you away from what keeps you balanced. Any chance of the Dallas area in a relocation? GREAT cost of living, tons of lakes and good weather. $450k will buy you a phat pad in the metroplex.

I hear you loud and clear on that. Nothing locked in stone or near completion, just have an opportunity, need to look into all aspects. Man if Dallas was an ioda of an option I'd be jumping up and down. I see some great prices on waterski lakes down there!! :banana:

LakePirate
02-24-2006, 09:53 PM
I had a sit down interview to sell drugs today in Albany, GA....any of you FL guys got one of those gator proof wetsuits you want to sell?

Leroy
02-24-2006, 10:16 PM
A college friend has his 4 BDRM nice home for sale for $879k in Alexandria. He bought a marina in FLorence ALabama. He says he can get the same house for $160k there.......

Funny how the better pay, better jobs tend to be where expensive housing is. I think you know the answer before you asked this one Jeff!

6ballsisall
02-24-2006, 10:19 PM
A college friend has his 4 BDRM nice home for sale for $879k in Alexandria. He bought a marina in FLorence ALabama. He says he can get the same house for $160k there.......

Funny how the better pay, better jobs tend to be where expensive housing is. I think you know the answer before you asked this one Jeff!

Yeah it sucks.... I just want to have my cake and eat it too :(

Farmer Ted
02-24-2006, 10:22 PM

- Los Angeles (all suburbs that you'd feel comfortable raising a family in that are within an hour of the downtown area)

Jeff,

Why don't you check out www.realestatebook.com and see if you can order a book for the areas you're interested in?

Farmer Ted
02-24-2006, 10:23 PM
I had a sit down interview to sell drugs today in Albany, GA....any of you FL guys got one of those gator proof wetsuits you want to sell?

Lake Pirate where do you boat? I was just at Robins AFB last week, nice area but looked kind of dry to me...

6ballsisall
02-24-2006, 10:24 PM
Jeff,

Why don't you check out www.realestatebook.com and see if you can order a book for the areas you're interested in?

Don't know if you were joking or not. If not, I work there :D Thanks for the plug for my biz ;)

erkoehler
02-24-2006, 10:25 PM

I don't know if I could handle having to worry about the gators all the time down there.

LakePirate
02-24-2006, 10:25 PM
Lake Pirate where do you boat? I was just at Robins AFB last week, nice area but looked kind of dry to me...

You were at Robins and didn't call me to grab a beer....not cool man, not cool at all.

There is a small lake in Macon that I hit during the week, but most of my weekends are spent in Alabama on a secret over there. :D

Farmer Ted
02-24-2006, 10:31 PM
You were at Robins and didn't call me to grab a beer....not cool man, not cool at all.

There is a small lake in Macon that I hit during the week, but most of my weekends are spent in Alabama on a secret over there. :D

Sorry Bro,

until last week I had no idea where Robins or Macon was and I just noticed you had Macon as your Location.

I was in an Internet black hole last week. OFUO Official Use Only

I deal alot with those guys so I'm sure I'll have plenty of chances to visit Robins and collect that beer!

LakePirate
02-24-2006, 10:34 PM
Let me know when you come back, we will grab a set and a beer. The lake in Macon is only about 20 minutes from WR.

Leroy
02-24-2006, 10:59 PM
Let me know when you find it, I'll join ya!

Yeah it sucks.... I just want to have my cake and eat it too :(

Farmer Ted
02-25-2006, 09:37 PM
Don't know if you were joking or not. If not, I work there :D Thanks for the plug for my biz ;)

Did not know that!

So it should be easy for you to see the book for the area you're interested in!

T Scott
02-25-2006, 10:21 PM
I don't know if I could handle having to worry about the gators all the time down there.

More people are killed in Florida by Lightning than gator attacks. From what I remember, since 1936, there have been only 11 fatal attacks. Much better chance of winning the lottery, getting killed in a car accident on the way to the boat ramp, etc. I have been skiing on Florida lakes since the early 80's and have never had a close encounter with a gator. They truly are more scared of you than you are of them.

Sorry for the thread jack....

Dan K
02-25-2006, 10:30 PM
to check out Home values in certain areas try this we site it is pretty cool.

ZILLOW.com (http://www.zillow.com)

shepherd
02-26-2006, 06:25 AM

For DC: If you'll be working on the MD side of the Potomac or downtown DC, you should look at MD real estate. Check out Upper Marlboro, Crofton, maybe out towards Annapolis. About 1 hour or less commute to downtown. You should be able to get a fairly decent home in those areas for under 450k. You'll also be a lot closer to the boating opportunities of the Bay and the Shore.

If you want to live in VA or will be working there, you may find a townhouse or condo for that price. Also, traffic is worse, and there really is no decent place to ski or go boating (except the Potomac).

BEST OPTION: Move to Alabama and buy a marina! ;)