PDA

View Full Version : Sea-Doo, reaches dead girl's settlement

atlfootr
02-24-2006, 07:08 PM
I heard about this today ... has anyone else?
Sea Doo- Settlement (http://www.palmbeachpost.com/pbcwest/content/local_news/epaper/2006/01/27/s2b_seadoo_0127.html)

Here's my :twocents: concerning the issue.
Firstly, it was a tragic lost for both the family and friends of the girl.

Secondly, she was not only under age, but she was also warned NOT TO RIDE this high powered machine
buy it's maker and did so, under her own free will.

Bombardier didn't put a gun to the girl's head and say "get on", I can't believe the Jury would actually give a multi-million dollar settlement award to the girl's family, when the death of the victim was @ fault.

What's happened to our "Judical Court System" :confused:
What are your thoughts ... :popcorn:

jmyers
02-24-2006, 07:17 PM
I know this will take some flack, but it is really like leaving a gun around with no warning sticker! Or a even a car the car dosen't have a warning sticker that say's must be sixteen and if 12 year old got in a hit a tree they don't sue the car company! Kids shouldn't use these things warning sticker or not! And the money won't bring back the loss of a child! :noface:

ilikeitglacy
02-24-2006, 07:17 PM
guns dont kill people... sad

6ballsisall
02-24-2006, 07:35 PM
Amazing........... yet another case in point showing American's lack of ability to take ownership in their fu** ups! :mad: Mom & Dad TAKE OWNERSHIP!!! The sticker isn't going to stop a 12 year old!!!!! :rant:

Danimal
02-24-2006, 07:39 PM
Amazing........... yet another case in point showing American's lack of ability to take ownership in their fu** ups! :mad: Mom & Dad TAKE OWNERSHIP!!! The sticker isn't going to stop a 12 year old!!!!! :rant:

I think we can lock this thread now. jrandol summed it up nicely!

X-45
02-24-2006, 07:49 PM
"After they left, Christina appealed to Joey, then 17, to let her ride his Sea-Doo." :noface:

Sound like she new she wasn't supost ot ride the Sea-Doo :noface:

I'm with jrandol

east tx skier
02-24-2006, 07:52 PM
Jrandol has spoken. And I agree.

LakePirate
02-24-2006, 08:06 PM
I hope that if I die in some horrible accident....probably trying to get the 5 ball.....I am worth 48.5 million Dollars.
The American Lottery :rant:

Jeffy has given us all we need

88 PS190
02-24-2006, 09:32 PM
Its all about taking responsibility for what you do. The sea doo did exactly what it was supposed to, it didn't blow up, or sink randomly due to hull failure, or some flaw in design.

Someone brought up firearms... If a firearm fails due to oh um... say sako's change in lubricants during hammerforging of their barrel leading to stress fractures of the metal, that's a lawsuit. And well deserved. If someone fails to educates or drops their gun from a tree, its personal fault. I'm tired of having rifle triggers that have pull weights in excess of 7 pounds for safety... sorry for the rant.

Brent
02-24-2006, 09:45 PM

6balls
02-24-2006, 10:04 PM
This one is right in line with the "should there be winners and losers" BS!

These type of lawsuits are fed by the entitlement mentality that increasingly transcends all other values in American society. The trial lawyers in this country have masterfully wielded their influence over our legislature at both the state and federal level. The very concept of tort reform is laughable, as the majority of our lawmakers are lawyers by education. Further, the idea of a rational judiciary reigning in this obscene excuse for justice is an even bigger farce as they have risen from the ranks of the very parasites they are sworn to oversee.

This case is matter of tragedy, plain and simple! Were the parents of boy who let her ride the Sea Doo to blame? NO!

Is Bombardier to blame? NO!

SH1T HAPPENS!!!! I did a lot of stuff that the warning labels told me not to do! That is part of growing up. Its called Darwinism it will pervade any warning label, government regulation or lawsuit!

Claiming responsibility by anyone other than the 12 year old is like teaching your SISSY A$$ kids that no one ever wins or loses! :guitar:

jeverett
02-25-2006, 01:11 AM
.....I am worth 48.5 million Dollars.

Another Reason why things cost so dang much! Product liability aka. "stupid insurance"

stumbledog
02-25-2006, 07:26 AM
I am sure the actual settlement is no where near the 45 mil the suit was for. Two dead-locked juries and Attorney Fees mounting.................sounds like both sides just wanted to stop the bleeding.

The owners of the watercraft/ and the childs family are the only ones really liable in this case. Who in there right mind would leave a 12 yr old girl with a 17 yr old boy and a Sea Doo without instructions to stay off. Sounds like lousy parenting strikes again.

Mag_Red
02-25-2006, 07:40 AM
Agree with Jeff on this too. It the parents fualt! I don't know why the State, Federal Government, or even the manufacturer counter sue the parents for allowing the kid to ride such a machine. Damned liberal court system and people's greed feed the system. :mad:

Labatt911
02-25-2006, 08:00 AM
This might be a little off the subject but another example of how people need to be held accountable for their actions and that money will not bring back their son. Long story short this guy was stopped by the Ohio State Highway Patrol, asked out of the car to perform some field sobriety tests, a struggle ensued, the guy pulled a gun and fired a round off at the trooper. The trooper drew his weapon, fired it and the guy suffered a fatal wound. The father of the guy is now suing the Ohio State Highway Patrol stating that his son did not need to die. I hope this link works because it is the footage of almost the entire incident filmed by the trooper's in car video system. http://us.video.aol.com/video.index.adp?mode=2&pmmsid=1470291
This happens way too much in our society today. Not only will the trooper's actions be found justified (hopefully), but the state will have to pay thounsands or dollars to defend this BS lawsuit. The government needs to put a lid on and an end to civil lawsuits like these.

6ballsisall
02-25-2006, 08:02 AM
Frickin Liability insurance is getting so ridiculous these days. No wonder our products and services are costing so much more these days. I was on a flight the other day with an attorney that prosecuted Doctors for Malpractice type of stuff. She had some interesting stories. Even while she sued the Doc's she felt very sorry for them because the insurance companies were brutal to them when it came to Malpractice insurance. I just listened, figured it would be best not to speak my mind at that point :rolleyes:

Labatt911
02-25-2006, 08:07 AM
I tried the link it works, but it's on the AOL media player, it will buffer, play a quick commercial, buffer again then the video clip will play.

atlfootr
02-25-2006, 11:29 AM
Won't work here, not running XP or 2000. :noface:
I stay far away from anything that has AOL connected to it,
Always Off Line! :rant:

shepherd
02-26-2006, 07:00 AM
Another Reason why things cost so dang much! Product liability aka. "stupid insurance"

Yeah, that's why a new Cessna airplane, which is little more than a few pounds of aluminum wrapped around a simple engine and a few electronics, costs over $100,000 these days.

And how much of that $50,000+ you pay for a new Mastercraft is for product liability insurance?

shepherd
02-26-2006, 07:04 AM
Amazing........... yet another case in point showing American's lack of ability to take ownership in their fu** ups! Mom & Dad TAKE OWNERSHIP!!! The sticker isn't going to stop a 12 year old!!!!!

Mom & Dad: "Hmmm, take ownership or sue for $50 million? :rolleyes: "

I'll say it again -- blame the jury. Idiots :cool:
Too bad Clint Eastwood wasn't in the courtroom when they read the verdict. This is how he'd look before he shoots their sentimental little asses.

6ballsisall
02-26-2006, 09:11 AM
Yeah, that's why a new Cessna airplane, which is little more than a few pounds of aluminum wrapped around a simple engine and a few electronics, costs over $100,000 these days.

And how much of that $50,000+ you pay for a new Mastercraft is for product liability insurance?

Dude find me a brand new Cessna for 100k and slap a sold sticker on it for me! 8p Trust me, I priced one 2 years ago, more like 155k for a half way decent equipped 172. Your right, flippin product liability insurance.

jeverett
02-26-2006, 03:02 PM
The Smartest Lawyer I ever met said that I could sue because I have a darn good case of realestate misrepresentation, followed up by saying the only true winners are the lawyers after it is all said and done!

lakes Rick
02-26-2006, 04:26 PM
"Does anybody really think world is gonna get better?"......