PDA

View Full Version : Another Highway Patrol Shooting!

jmyers
02-24-2006, 02:51 PM
This time the officer shot a guy in Ohio before he could shoot him! The guy pulled a gun after stuggling with the officer and shot barely missing the officer and then the officer shot him in the head! Now the family is going to sue! That is BS the CHP officer that was shot was right in front of my house about a quarter of a mile! *** people are just F**KN stupid! :mad:
http://us.video.aol.com/video.index.adp?mode=2&pmmsid=1470291

ajgressette
02-24-2006, 04:11 PM
Seems there is an epidemic of clinical ignorance. "Dat make me sic." "Shame how people is did."

quincyfirefighter
02-24-2006, 11:07 PM
This time the officer shot a guy in Ohio before he could shoot him! The guy pulled a gun after stuggling with the officer and shot barely missing the officer and then the officer shot him in the head! Now the family is going to sue! That is BS the CHP officer that was shot was right in front of my house about a quarter of a mile! *** people are just F**KN stupid! :mad:
http://us.video.aol.com/video.index.adp?mode=2&pmmsid=1470291
Jmyers, Man I think it's out of control Too!!!!!. My niece lives in Modesto. She is big into the Explorer program for the police dept. She wants so badly to be a cop. She called me the day after CHP Earl Scott was Shot to tell me that she knew and rode together with him many times :eek: Oh my god what do you tell a seventeen year old. :confused: She cryed

erkoehler
02-24-2006, 11:36 PM
If you pull a gun on a cop, your going to be shot! If you shoot at a cop, your going to die....plain and simple.

6ballsisall
02-24-2006, 11:39 PM
If you pull a gun on a cop, your going to be shot! If you shoot at a cop, your going to die....plain and simple.

Tru dat! :guitar:

quincyfirefighter
02-25-2006, 03:18 AM
A-man brother. My uncle was a motorcycle cop for the CHP ( Calif. Highway Patrol ) in San Francisco. Thank god I still have him :)

erkoehler
02-25-2006, 12:34 PM
Some people are idiots, and after seeing that video clip, there is no doubt in my mind that the shooting was justified.

Also, remember, a cop shoots to kill, not injure......guns were designed to kill people not injure them!

DrNautica
02-27-2006, 12:24 AM
...Also, remember, a cop shoots to kill, not injure......guns were designed to kill people not injure them!

That's a terrifying video. Fortunately, the outcome was the way it was.

As far as a cop "shooting to kill" that just isn't so. Cops are trained to shoot for center mass since it is the largest target and contains the majority of vital organs. Their intent is to stop the person from doing whatever it was that justified the shooting in the first place. In the video, it is fairly clear that due to the proximity of the officer and the suspect, the officer was limited to where he could place his shot.

Again, cops are not trained to shoot to kill. They shoot to stop a suspect. God decides whether they die or not.

I spent 16 years as a Police Officer in a major Ohio city. Our training did include head shots under the most extreme circumstances such as a suspect not stopping after being shot in center mass which could indicate their wearing body armor.

erkoehler
02-27-2006, 12:30 AM
That's a terrifying video. Fortunately, the outcome was the way it was.

As far as a cop "shooting to kill" that just isn't so. Cops are trained to shoot for center mass since it is the largest target and contains the majority of vital organs. Their intent is to stop the person from doing whatever it was that justified the shooting in the first place. In the video, it is fairly clear that due to the proximity of the officer and the suspect, the officer was limited to where he could place his shot.

Again, cops are not trained to shoot to kill. They shoot to stop a suspect. God decides whether they die or not.

I spent 16 years as a Police Officer in a major Ohio city.

Sorry, I should have speciified that a police officer only uses a gun when lethal force is necessary. :D Knowing, that guns were designed to kill not injure.

Also, in some of the classes I am taking now, there are some sargeants that incourage emptying the magazine if your going to shoot. Not sure how I feel on that yet.... :confused:

herringtech
02-27-2006, 10:30 AM
I have a friend who is a cop and shot a guy on his way to his house after killing his wife. He had 10,000 rounds of ammo and high explosives in the house for his "last stand".

Fortunatly he was able to shoot his weapon and disable it. He only had the capability for one more round, and he did the world a favor by putting it in his own skull!

He and other criminals know that they can sue and that cops are afraid of these lawsuits when they brandish their weapons. That gives these criminals a feeling of saftey even though a cop may be yelling at them with a brandished weapon.

I think that cops have an amazing amount of restraint when it comes to using their weapons. I have virtually no patience for someone who runs after being caught. I am so disgusted when I watch the chases on TV and see them almost kill another motorist, then try to escape on foot.

That doesn't excuse the Chino CA cop who shot the US soldier after a high speed chase (he was the passenger) and giving him conflicting commands. The lawsuit there I think is justified, and he should loose his badge. Based on what I saw, you decide. http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8770396702332615729&q=chino

But all in all, I think cops should have some protection from wrongful lawsuits. I think the city or the individual cop if found to be correct in firing should be allowed to counter sue for emotional damages. Cops who have to discharge their weapon take on an enormous emotional burdun, compounded if they actually take the life of the suspect, that burdun is sometimes impossible to recover from. Remember their creed is to "protect and serve". Many cops who have killed in the line of duty are never the same to their wifes, kids, and families.

Where is the justice for them???

Sorry for the mini novel...

twieder
02-27-2006, 11:40 AM
As far as taking a life and not being the same afterwords, I feel that is a choice the person made when he chose to become a law officer. They know full well that some day they may have to take a life to protect their,a fellow officer, or the publics life.

The problem IMO is the slap on the wrist that most criminals get. Why is it when a preson kills another with a gun,knife, ballbat...the penalty is so much more then when a criminal flees from the cops and kills someone in a car wreck? Vehicular hommicide mite get 5 years, while homicide by knife will get them 15 to25.

The laws need stiffer penalties and the courts need to get the ba()s to tell the criminals and their families that sue to pi?? off. :twocents:

X2M
02-27-2006, 11:57 AM
Another CHP officer was killed over the weekend. This time by a drunk driver down in SoCal.

My thoughts and prayers are with his family, friends and coworkers.

This has got to stop.

lakes Rick
02-27-2006, 12:06 PM
All I can say is we have like 30,000 laws on the book, against killing people, cops or just us regular people out here..

WHEN will the system start enforcing them.....

lakes Rick
02-27-2006, 12:08 PM
Had a shooting here in Oregon ( again) this weekend...

I was just waiting to see if they would announce the names.. YEP

Pedro garcia beanero shot Ricardo jose taquito......

My spelling might be off some...

oldschool84
02-27-2006, 12:14 PM
Shootings are so bad in an area of Saginaw MI that the cops have quit following up on these murders because no one is talking :rolleyes:

M-Funf
02-27-2006, 12:34 PM
Another CHP officer was killed over the weekend. This time by a drunk driver down in SoCal.

This has got to stop.

Isn't that like 6 CHP officers shot in 5 months???

X2M
02-27-2006, 12:37 PM
Isn't that like 6 CHP officers shot in 5 months???
Not all of them were shot.

But yes, that is 6 dead CHP officers in 5 months.

:( :( :(

jmyers
02-27-2006, 01:52 PM
Well I am going to test on March 25 for CHP! I passed the test when I was 20 all the way to the oral's but missed by 2% for the next level! We will see this to time, The recent tradgedies have me really thinking we need more officers and I am going to give it another try!

ajgressette
02-28-2006, 07:53 AM
John Wayne once said in a movie "Killem' all, let God sort them out." :woohoo:

tommcat
02-28-2006, 10:25 AM
i fully agree with cops shooting and killing anyone that pulls a gun on them. one thing that does bother me though is that everyone is in full support of the police but if someone pulls a gun on me as a civilian i am not supposed to return fire. somehow a cops life is worth more than mine for some reason?

milkmania
02-28-2006, 11:13 AM

This has got to stop.

seems like they're going to try:(

Calif. Hwy. Patrol Calls for Safety Review

By TOM VERDIN
Associated Press Writer

February 28, 2006, 9:13 AM EST

SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- Shaken by the deaths of six patrolmen since last fall, the California Highway Patrol has called for a two-day safety review with officers.

The "stand-down" for the highway patrol's 108 field offices won't affect deployments or service, CHP Commissioner Mike Brown said Monday.

Brown said there was "a lot of anger" within the department over the rash of deaths, the latest of which came over the weekend when a Southern California motorcycle officer was struck by a suspected drunken driver during a traffic stop.

The stand-down applies to the department's 7,287 uniformed officers and its 3,112 non-uniformed personnel. Field commanders will set aside several hours to discuss the events with their officers, reviewing the department's safety procedures and identifying any potential problems in policies or training.

Brown said internal reviews of the earlier deaths did not indicate the officers did anything wrong or that their deaths revealed gaps in department procedures.

Two of the officers were shot to death, two were struck during traffic stops, another died when his patrol car overturned during a chase and another was thrown from his motorcycle when it was struck from behind at a red light.

Brown called the high number of deaths in such a short time a coincidence.

"The facts and the causes are unique, and they're frankly not related," he said. "The reality is that these officers did everything we train them to do."

milkmania
03-08-2006, 09:26 PM
That doesn't excuse the Chino CA cop who shot the US soldier after a high speed chase (he was the passenger) and giving him conflicting commands. The lawsuit there I think is justified, and he should loose his badge. Based on what I saw, you decide. http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8770396702332615729&q=chino

Calif. Cop Pleads Not Guilty in Shooting

By Associated Press

March 8, 2006, 3:31 PM EST

SAN BERNARDINO, Calif. -- A sheriff's deputy pleaded not guilty Wednesday to attempted voluntary manslaughter in the videotaped shooting of an unarmed airman who had just returned from duty in Iraq.

Deputy Ivory J. Webb, 45, shot Senior Airman Elio Carrion three times after a car chase Jan. 29. He could get up to 18 1/2 years in prison.

A videotape shot by a bystander shows Carrion, 21, lying on the ground beside the car as the deputy points a gun at him. After what sounds like an order to "Get up," Carrion begins to rise and is shot in the chest, shoulder and thigh.

Carrion was hospitalized for several days.

Webb left the court without comment. He has until Friday to post $100,000 bail.

jimmer2880
03-09-2006, 06:46 AM
Calif. Cop Pleads Not Guilty in Shooting

By Associated Press

March 8, 2006, 3:31 PM EST

SAN BERNARDINO, Calif. -- A sheriff's deputy pleaded not guilty Wednesday to attempted voluntary manslaughter in the videotaped shooting of an unarmed airman who had just returned from duty in Iraq.

Deputy Ivory J. Webb, 45, shot Senior Airman Elio Carrion three times after a car chase Jan. 29. He could get up to 18 1/2 years in prison.

A videotape shot by a bystander shows Carrion, 21, lying on the ground beside the car as the deputy points a gun at him. After what sounds like an order to "Get up," Carrion begins to rise and is shot in the chest, shoulder and thigh.

Carrion was hospitalized for several days.

Webb left the court without comment. He has until Friday to post $100,000 bail.

After watching that video, I have to say I thought the cop said "get up" also.