PDA

View Full Version : MasterCraft to target the saltwater market

NeilM
09-17-2004, 04:12 PM
Do you use your boat in salt water?

VONORE, Tenn. – MasterCraft will introduce a new Saltwater Series line designed to promote the use of its products in bay area and intercoastal saltwater markets, the company said in a release yesterday.

The line includes MariStar 245 VRS, MariStar 280 VLD and MariStar 280 STS models with stainless components, sacrificial anodes, fully sealed wiring connectors, and Crusader “Captain’s Choice” engines, the company said.

“MariStars are seeing more action in saltwater, as inland skiers, wakeboarders and water sports enthusiasts relocate closer to coastal markets,” said Parker Stair, national sales manager. “Traditional saltwater boats just don’t have the same towing characteristics as we do, so it’s only natural that MasterCraft would equip these boats with the most saltwater-friendly components available.”

The MariStar 245 SS and MariStar 280 SS offer a choice of Crusader 330 hp, 375 hp or 425 hp GM Vortec engines. The MariStar 280 SST offers a choice of twin Crusader 5.7 liter, 330 hp engines, or 6.0 liter, 375 hp engines.

“About 15 percent of our customers take their MasterCrafts on saltwater,” said Ken Bernard, Cope McPhetres Marine in Seattle. “We’re excited about offering the new line to our customers.”

aprgriggs
09-17-2004, 05:43 PM
Do you use your boat in salt water?

“About 15 percent of our customers take their MasterCrafts on saltwater,” said Ken Bernard, Cope McPhetres Marine in Seattle. “We’re excited about offering the new line to our customers.”

so far they are off. :o

BriEOD
09-17-2004, 05:55 PM
NaCL H20=Bad, Bad, Bad

AirJunky
09-17-2004, 08:09 PM
so far they are off. :o

This coming from a guy in Dallas who probably hasn't seen the Gulf in how long? ;)

Ken is right. If you live on the coast, there are a lot of people who take their boats in the salt. Seattle had plenty when I lived there. The Sacrmento Delta area has tons of MC owners & tons of brackish water. Long Beach has quite a few MC owners.

A couple of mid 90s Maristar owners I know in Seattle have closed cooling systems & gone thru all the hardware & electrical to salt proof it & the boats still look & ski great..... almost 10 years later!

I'd guess there are as many or more on the right coast too.

MarkP
09-17-2004, 09:07 PM
I think if I lived near the coast I could not resist..:wavey:

Mattercraft
09-18-2004, 12:37 PM
I live in Orange county, Ca. There are a couple of places I can take the boat to within a half hour drive, but they are saltwater. The fresh water lakes are farther to get to. I have always been afraid of the cleanup needed to get all the salt out of the boat. It would be nice if MC build saltwater boats for people like me.

MasterCrafting
09-18-2004, 03:02 PM
That would be a good idea but i dont think that many people would buy them becuase the ocean is almost never skiable but in a harbor or cove i guess it would be nice.

aprgriggs
09-18-2004, 04:44 PM
This coming from a guy in Dallas who probably hasn't seen the Gulf in how long? ;)

Ken is right. If you live on the coast, there are a lot of people who take their boats in the salt. Seattle had plenty when I lived there. The Sacrmento Delta area has tons of MC owners & tons of brackish water. Long Beach has quite a few MC owners.

A couple of mid 90s Maristar owners I know in Seattle have closed cooling systems & gone thru all the hardware & electrical to salt proof it & the boats still look & ski great..... almost 10 years later!

I'd guess there are as many or more on the right coast too.

girl and I am just looking at the poll here online and comparing it to the stats that were given. I wouldn't take a ski boat on the gulf to much clean up.

NeilM
09-19-2004, 02:54 PM
[QUOTE=NeilM]

The MariStar 245 SS and MariStar 280 SS offer a choice of Crusader 330 hp, 375 hp or 425 hp GM Vortec engines. The MariStar 280 SST offers a choice of twin Crusader 5.7 liter, 330 hp engines, or 6.0 liter, 375 hp engines.
QUOTE]

Is this is the first time in a long time that MasterCrafts won't be powered by Indmar?

AirJunky
09-20-2004, 01:13 AM
girl and I am just looking at the poll here online and comparing it to the stats that were given. I wouldn't take a ski boat on the gulf to much clean up.

Oooops, sorry Aprgriggs. No offense.

Never have put my 205 in the salt & don't intend to as it's not prepped for it. But I've skied in Quartermaster cover off Vashon Island.... in Puget Sound, Long Beach in SoCal where there is a ski club that meets weekly, and Wilochet Bay near Gig Harbor, WA. Everyone of them had super flat conditions, no wind at all & we were behind a Mastercraft.

Had a buddy who taught ski lessons at Club Med down in the Carribean too. He said the conditions were usually great. As I recall they used a boat by the other guys though.

H20skeefreek
09-20-2004, 07:58 AM
[QUOTE=NeilM]

QUOTE]

Is this is the first time in a long time that MasterCrafts won't be powered by Indmar?

yep, first time since the 80's that a MC will be powered by a PCM.

NeilM
09-21-2004, 10:44 AM
Interesting... are Crusaders that much better in salt than a closed cooled Indmar?

sizzler
09-22-2004, 04:58 AM
only ever skied on salt-water with my barefoot 200 o/b....not a prob. so long as everything was washed thoroughly....10 years of happy footin'.....salt gets everywhere!!!!!! when i traded it in for my X9 this year the dealer could not believe it had been in salt all the time.....

with the new one ,this is a dif.kettle of fish altogether......IT WILL NEVER SEE SALT.
The lake is grade 2 drinking water...they sell the stuff to the local water board

H20skeefreek
09-22-2004, 08:44 AM
The lake is grade 2 drinking water...they sell the stuff to the local water board

until you pollute it with your gasoline engine :D :D

sizzler
09-22-2004, 09:33 AM
ithink they filter it first........DOH!!!

Ski-A-Rees
01-04-2005, 12:01 PM
My show ski team is the only ski team to ski in salt water all the time so there for my mastercraft is almost always in salt water. The only thing I have trouble with is rust. More so on the trailer. Other than that if you don't leave your boat in the water and keep some wax on it you should be ok. And just remember when you take the boat out not to be afriad to wash the entire boat and flush for atleast 15 minutes. We have several hoses at our club and flush it the entire time we wash our boats.

sten76
05-01-2005, 03:23 PM
Never Salt, only fresh water. Salt Water=Bad...

MC_TT_Doug
05-02-2005, 12:34 PM
Interesting... are Crusaders that much better in salt than a closed cooled Indmar?

Yes - the Crusaders are better in the salt water than a closed cooled Indmar primarily because even the exhaust manifold is freshwater cooled. The exhaust manifold on a closed cooled Indmar is raw-water cooled. One less engine component that gets exposed to the harsh salt-water is a good thing!

MarkP
05-02-2005, 12:51 PM
Only fresh for me.. Uh, for my boat I mean..

Ryan
05-02-2005, 02:47 PM
Hey AirJunky, are you talking about the CSULB club?

I flush with Salt-Away for 15 minutes, wash down the boat and trailer every time. We video ourselves with my pylon camera attachment, go inside and watch the highlights while to engine runs. I also put the boat in, ski, and get out. I don't ancor and hang out at the beach. Stagnant salt water is the real killer, if you let it sit your problems will be big and come in a nice shade of oxidized iron.

I have talked to a lot of people about the salt issue, dealers, Chemists, Salt-Away reps... I have come to believe that my use habits in salt will leave my engine better than many mineral saturated lake users who never flush their engines (ie Mead and Powell's dropping levels) are seeing near salt-levels of corrosion. But that's the engine, my trailer seems to be getting more vulnerable as gravel induced paint pits are sucking salt right into the steel. So, it will cost me. But, I figure a new (or used-new-to-me) trailer is cost justified compared to the gas I'd be buying to get to a lake. Plus, I get more frequent ski sessions. Keep in mind my boat was used in salt before I got it which played a big factor in my willingness to use it there. Let's just hope my axle doesn't snap on me while I tow it to Montana next month.

Ryan
05-02-2005, 02:49 PM
Hey Mattercraft,

My driver is moving to Boston. Have you ever driven in Marine Stadium? How do you feel about driving in freeway-like conditions?

River Rat
05-02-2005, 03:19 PM
My boat runs in brackish water 2-3 times a week. Flush and wash it good and you will be ok. Took it out to the Gulf one time and oh my, the clean up was horrendous!!! :eek: And I never leave my boat alone while flushing it. I would have nightmares about the water hose getting pinched, shut off, well pump burning up, or a meteor hitting it when I wasn't looking :eek3:

jsonova99
05-02-2005, 04:40 PM
I grew up on Salt water boating, if you are meticuos about cleaning, the salt will have minimal effect. I'm surprised that it took MC this long to come up with this idea.

mbeach
05-09-2005, 09:20 PM
aprgriggs
NaCL H20=Bad, Bad, Bad

amen bro, just look at beach houses and the constant maintenance.

wakescene
05-17-2005, 01:51 AM
I am totally late on replying to this..., I would love to get on the phone with the MC engineers...I gotta a few words for them about saltwater boating!

I having been boating in salt for 15+ years, 4 years with my MC. At the end of last season I realized that even though I am anal about the cleaning and maintenance of the boat, I was faced with EXTENSIVE saltwater problems. I am now proclaiming myself as the perfect saltware specimen for MC.

So far here is a list of parts that NEED replacing due to saltwater damage:
Shaft / Strut / Propeller (salt pitting)
Rudder (salt pitting, even with zinc's)
Motor Mounts (anodized brackets will not protect against salt air)
Shaft Packing Gland and housing (yes the housing that mounts to the boat, completely corroded to nearly 1/8" thickness)
swim platform brackets (3rd time for these, probably the shottiest part on the boat)
Exhaust Manifolds
Exhaust Risers (better seals needed to reduce water leakage)
50amp Breaker (salt air corrosion on the connections)
Steering cable bracket (internal, aluminum to SS contact at the bolts is a chemical reaction in saltwater fella's, no rocket scientist here but I have known this since I was 14!!!)

IMO only Stainless Steel parts should be used in boats that are going in Salt, composites will work too, but SS is better. I am particularly peeved about the crappy extruded aluminum that is used thoughout my MC, maybe this is something that has been changed...I can only hope. And Yes I do use Zinc's plus a sacroficial zinc off the stern.

Would I buy another MC, ABSOLUTELY, best boat out there, but I would still have some suggestions!

I could also be biased opinion, so please take what I say with a grain of salt(no pun intended), I just think that no manufacturer should leave out the saltwater environment EVER in the development of their boats.

KG