PDA

View Full Version : Steering wheel removal

DLewis
02-24-2006, 11:37 AM
I have a 95' Maristar that I need to remove the steering wheel from. I removed the nut and washer from the hub, but the wheel only slides about 1/2" before it stops. Do I need to use a wheel puller or should it come straght off?

east tx skier
02-24-2006, 11:44 AM
I've done it once ona prostar and after taking the nut and washer off the hub, I recall the wheel coming off pretty easily. But my memory could be failing me.

DLewis
02-24-2006, 06:26 PM
It has a tilt wheel and I hate to reef on it and damage the helm or the tilt mechanism.

Thanks for your response...maybe I will 'encourage' it with a little more force.

M-Funf
02-24-2006, 06:41 PM
It should come off pretty easy...

Just remember to disconnect the airbag before you monkey with it :rolleyes:

tph
02-24-2006, 10:49 PM
I have a 95' Maristar that I need to remove the steering wheel from. I removed the nut and washer from the hub, but the wheel only slides about 1/2" before it stops. Do I need to use a wheel puller or should it come straght off?

I had a similar experience recently and finally ended up using a puller.

Workin' 4 Toys
02-25-2006, 01:06 AM
It has a tilt wheel and I hate to reef on it and damage the helm or the tilt mechanism.

Thanks for your response...maybe I will 'encourage' it with a little more force.YES, ONLY DO IT WITH A PULLER....!!!!

DLewis
02-26-2006, 11:47 AM
Thanks for replys. (After disconnecting the air bag - thanks M-Funf!) I worked it back and forth and it came off. I didn't realize all the pieces that need to come off to get the wheel/steering gear off. However, I found out that the tilt mounting screws had come loose. Once I reinstall it, the tilt will have a much more positive feel.

Thanks.