PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Filter on a ZF Hurth Trannie

Sodar
02-23-2006, 11:25 PM
Has anyone replaced the filter on their tranny? Mine has a metal element, so I have just been cleaning the filter out with brake-kleen, soaking it in transmission fluid and re-installing it. Should I be replacing the tranny filter everytime the fluid is changed (Every 50 Hours)??

Tom023
03-02-2006, 07:46 PM
Not at $60 a pop! I clean mine with compressed air and put it back in. I still have the original one in and have not heard of anyone replacing. Even my dealer says they rarely put in a new one.

bigmac
03-02-2006, 07:48 PM
Not at $60 a pop! I clean mine with compressed air and put it back in. I still have the original one in and have not heard of anyone replacing. Even my dealer says they rarely put in a new one.

My dealer's not even a huge fan of messing around with them at all--certainly not to the extent recommended by Hurth via MasterCraft.

Farmer Ted
03-02-2006, 08:06 PM
Has anyone replaced the filter on their tranny? Mine has a metal element, so I have just been cleaning the filter out with brake-kleen, soaking it in transmission fluid and re-installing it. Should I be replacing the tranny filter everytime the fluid is changed (Every 50 Hours)??

dumb question but how are you getting to it?

I am under the impression that the filter is located on the bottom of the tranny? Doesn't this require the AFT part of the engine to be lifted up?

pflcjl
03-02-2006, 08:12 PM
I also would like to know how to change the filter on the transmission. I didn't even know it had one? I have a 2000 pro star power slot. I also noticed you change the fluid every 40 hours? That seems too frequent? I changed my once in 300 hours?

bigmac
03-02-2006, 09:23 PM
dumb question but how are you getting to it?

I am under the impression that the filter is located on the bottom of the tranny? Doesn't this require the AFT part of the engine to be lifted up?

The tranny filter in the picture at the top of the thread looks like the filter that is supposed to go in the ZF Hurth V-drive transmissions, which is accessible at the top of the transmission housing on the opposite side of the dipstick. Even so, I wouldn't exactly call it 'readily accessible'.

Farmer Ted
03-02-2006, 09:47 PM
The tranny filter in the picture at the top of the thread looks like the filter that is supposed to go in the ZF Hurth V-drive transmissions, which is accessible at the top of the transmission housing on the opposite side of the dipstick. Even so, I wouldn't exactly call it 'readily accessible'.

Thanks for the info Bigmac, but he has a PS 190 direct drive. I've looked all over mine and cannot locate anything that resembles a filter on the top or either side.

Ric
03-02-2006, 10:27 PM
I also would like to know how to change the filter on the transmission. I didn't even know it had one? I have a 2000 pro star power slot. I also noticed you change the fluid every 40 hours? That seems too frequent? I changed my once in 300 hours?
I never messed with the transmission filter in the ZF in my 190 as you would have to raise the back of the transmission & motor from what I read in the manual that came with the boat.

lakes Rick
03-02-2006, 11:58 PM

2-3 Qts. of Transmission fluid and some time once a year?? Pretty cheap insurance if you ask me...

Remember the TV ad, " Pay me now or pay me later"?????

bigmac
03-03-2006, 12:14 PM
Thanks for the info Bigmac, but he has a PS 190 direct drive. I've looked all over mine and cannot locate anything that resembles a filter on the top or either side.

Sorry. I knew it was a DD, but the filter looks like the one that goes in the V-drive, and I noted that Tom023 has an X-30.

This is the location on the ZF-Hurth V-drive, but I have no idea if it's analogous to the 190's transmission.

http://mccollister.info/tranny.jpg

Tom023
03-03-2006, 04:45 PM
I'm with you bigmac. His original post indicates he's been cleaning it with brake clean so I assumed his ZF transmission was like ours.

Sodar
03-04-2006, 12:29 AM
Sorry. I knew it was a DD, but the filter looks like the one that goes in the V-drive, and I noted that Tom023 has an X-30.

This is the location on the ZF-Hurth V-drive, but I have no idea if it's analogous to the 190's transmission.

http://mccollister.info/tranny.jpg

Mine tranny looks exactly the same as the diagram. It is easily accesible in my Direct Drive, it is just a matter if unscrewing an allen screw and popping it out!

bigmac
03-04-2006, 02:01 AM
Mine tranny looks exactly the same as the diagram. It is easily accesible in my Direct Drive, it is just a matter if unscrewing an allen screw and popping it out!

Cool - that's better than lifting up the engine and transmission :) . On the V-drive boats, the filter is accessible, but like a lot of boat mechanical issues - some contortions are required.

jaspav
12-29-2006, 04:19 PM
Bigmac & Sodar, thanks for these diagrams they have helped me alot today even thought this post is old. I have two questions.

1. How are you removing the transmission fluid & where?

2. Is this different than changing the v-drive fluid. I have read to change v-drive fluid and the transmission fluid. I did not know there were 2 other fluids to change on top of changing engine oil. If so, can you explain where and how.

Thank you

Sodar
12-29-2006, 04:24 PM
I use one of these "Oil Boys" and I just stick it down the dipstick hole on the tranny
http://www.tempoproducts.com/2004/page5.gif

bigmac
12-29-2006, 05:08 PM
Bigmac & Sodar, thanks for these diagrams they have helped me alot today even thought this post is old. I have two questions.

1. How are you removing the transmission fluid & where?

2. Is this different than changing the v-drive fluid. I have read to change v-drive fluid and the transmission fluid. I did not know there were 2 other fluids to change on top of changing engine oil. If so, can you explain where and how.

Thank youYeh, I use a vacuum extractor similar to what Sodar posted - just put it in through the dipstick hole.

I don't know about your 2001, but my boat uses a Hurth ZF 63 IV V-drive tranny. I've seen posts that imply a differentiation of the V-drive from the tranny, but as far as I can tell on my transmission, it's all the same unit. Maybe earlier trannies were different, but mine is a regular transmission that happens to have the output shaft going back through the transmission and tilted 12 degrees in the opposite direction. For me, fluid change is just warm it up, suck out 4+ quarts of oil and replace with the same stuff (15W40).

JohnnyB
12-29-2006, 05:18 PM
The transmission filter on a direct drive is a screen. It is on the bottom of the transmission and can be accessed relatively easily. There are two bolts (1/2 or 9/16 X 1) and a cover plate that hold it in place. Undo the two bolts and lower it down....getting it back in is a little tricky as its easier to reach it all with one-hand, laying on your back. It was only about a 10min job (Max) the last time i cleaned mine (the first time).

jaspav
12-29-2006, 06:25 PM
Thanks Sodar & Bigmac. My tranny looks just like the one you posted with the filter diagram. So you guys warm the boat up before sucking it out? I guess I will wait until spring to change the fluid after I de-winterize, but atleast I know what to do and where now because of you two.

Johnny, mine is the v-drive mentioned above.

If anyone knows of changing v-drive oil-fluid, please chime in if it exist.

Thanks everyone

bigmac
12-29-2006, 09:27 PM
Well, I found that just warming up the engine in the driveway doesn't really get the transmission oil that warm, but I'm using 15w40 and you're probably using Dexron (about SAE 20). I decided to skip the transmission oil change this year at winterization and instead will do it in the spring once I get the boat back in the water.

Jesus_Freak
12-29-2006, 09:38 PM
I use one of these "Oil Boys" and I just stick it down the dipstick hole on the tranny

Thanks for the pics. In the past, I had used one of those drill-driven pumps, but it bit the dust this fall. Looks like I will be buying one of these.

The Right Kind
12-31-2006, 12:14 PM
This is a timely post for me as I just change the oil in the trani for the first time of the boats life. I called the local ZF office and was quoted $54 plus shipping for a filter. I just cleaned the existing one and re-installed it. I'm glad to see that's what others have done.
When I cleaned it there was some debris in it so I kept rinsing it untill no debris came out. I still might get a new one for the next change. The ZF manual says change the oil every 300 hrs or once a year.

JohnnyB
12-31-2006, 05:08 PM
Here's the pic from the manual of the direct drive filter location, bolts, etc.

MMCCAR12
01-02-2007, 09:30 AM
How about the Powerslot tranny?

Does anyone have a pic or diagram of that?

JohnnyB
01-02-2007, 07:51 PM
I'll consult the ZF Hurth manual, but I believe it is the same....I think my manual covers both

bigmac
01-02-2007, 08:40 PM
How about the Powerslot tranny?

Does anyone have a pic or diagram of that?
Is the Power Slot made by ZF Hurth?

If so, if you know the model number of your transmission, you can look at this page (http://zf-marine.com/ZFR/Support/index.cfm?PID=3&TZ=-6&SC=1152:864:32) on Hurth's web site and they have the diagrams.

JohnnyB
01-02-2007, 08:54 PM
According to my '04 MC manual, powerslots are model 450A and 630A by ZF Hurth. My ZF Hurth manual is only for the 1:1 transmissions, not the 1.5?:1 so I don't have info on the filter location or type.....bigmac's link will probably help.

bigmac
01-02-2007, 10:32 PM
According to my '04 MC manual, powerslots are model 450A and 630A by ZF Hurth. My ZF Hurth manual is only for the 1:1 transmissions, not the 1.5?:1 so I don't have info on the filter location or type.....bigmac's link will probably help.

Those numbers in the manual are the Simplicity (http://www.simplicity-marine.com/Hurth-ZF.htm) numbers - HSW 450A2 (http://www.simplicity-marine.com/ZF/ZF45A/Description.htm) and the HSW 630A1. Drawings and technical info can be found on that Hurth website via the ZF Hurth numbers ZF45A and ZF63A. I don't know which Power Slot is which - MMCCAR12 may need to actually go out and look at the placard on his tranny to see which he has.

MMCCAR12
01-03-2007, 09:40 AM
It is a 71 Series 1.52:1. Found the view on the web site.
Thanks, I want to Board!

dog paw
01-03-2007, 09:47 AM
Huumm I dont recall mine looking like that. ZF and velvet drive two different animals?

bigmac
01-03-2007, 11:55 AM
Huumm I dont recall mine looking like that. ZF and velvet drive two different animals?

I believe Velvet Drive is Borg-Warner, ZF is Hurth.

MikeR
06-28-2011, 01:21 AM
Sorry to reply to an old thread-- but I just discovered that it is much easier to suck the V-drive oil out of the filter hole (filter removed) rather than the dip-stick hole. Through the dip stick hole there are some internal parts or something that kept me from getting the hose all the way down into the bottom of the V-drive, so I never got a complete emptying of the fluids. I was changing the filter last weekend and thought I'd try putting the suction hose down the hole at the bottom of the filter cavity (with the filter removed), and the hose when straight down all the way to the bottom of the drive casing-- a couple of minutes of suction and the drive was completely emptied, ready for refill of fresh, clean fluid. Much better than last year when I used the dip stick hole to flush water laden oil out due to a leaky trans oil cooler, and it took me 3 or 4 fills and empties to get the fluid to stop looking milky-- I just could never get all the oil out through the dipstick hole.