PDA

View Full Version : another impeller thread

richardsoncd
02-23-2006, 02:37 PM
I just got my new impeller in from ski dim, I have searched a lot of threads for the step by step proper way to remove the old impeller and replace it, but haven't had luck...does anyone have some instructions or the link to an old thread.

Thanks

-bet you guys can't wait till next year when I know how to service the boat without asking every detail.

AirJunky
02-23-2006, 02:46 PM
Unscrew the cover, pull the old one out & put the new one in. Pretty easy. Worst case is the new one is a little tight. There will be a dozen different people saying to put this or that all over the new impeller to make it go in. All I do is get it wet & spin it as your pushing it in. It'll go.

east tx skier
02-23-2006, 02:56 PM
You can use a pair of flat head screw drivers to get it out. If it's stubborn, I get some glycerin or wire pulling lube and get it nice an lubed. Pull the "dead man" switch and spin the motor. If it doesn't come out, it shouldn't be much of a chore at that point.

Before you pull it, find out where the notch is on the old impeller so you can know how to orient your new one. You shouldn't have to lube it up if you already squirted some lube in there. Whatever you do, don't use vaseline as it will eat up the rubber (or so I recall). Getting the new on in will require a good push and some manipulating of the veins/blades of the old one. Once in, take some of the lube and put it on the gasket so it'll stick easily. Replace the old gasket and put the cover back on the pump housing.

Part is Johnson 812. The kit from overtons includes a little tube of glycerin.

richardsoncd
02-23-2006, 03:12 PM
Do I need to loosen the belts, it looks like the wheel is in the way of the bolts to get the housing off.

east tx skier
02-23-2006, 03:21 PM
Ah, wait a minute. Didn't some of the older boats have a different setup?

Does your setup look like this one?

http://aquaskier.com/articles/impeller_replacement.htm

AirJunky
02-23-2006, 03:22 PM
Hmmmm, must be different than mine. The impeller housing is in front of the belts on mine so their not in the way at all.

Workin' 4 Toys
02-23-2006, 03:29 PM
Do I need to loosen the belts, it looks like the wheel is in the way of the bolts to get the housing off.
Post a picture, its worth a thousand words (questions).:)

richardsoncd
02-23-2006, 03:29 PM
I am not near the boat, but I will try to get a pic of it...I think it is a diffrent setup....anyone out there with a relic like mine have any advice?

NSXBill
02-23-2006, 04:42 PM
You should have a PCM (silver colored engine?) with a belt-driven Sherwood Pump on the driver's side...but I could be wrong. You must loosen the pump belt first.

ski_king
02-23-2006, 04:49 PM
Agreed, your should be PCM and look like this.
http://aquaskier.com/articles/pump_disassembly.gif

richardsoncd
02-23-2006, 04:51 PM
You should have a PCM (silver colored engine?) with a belt-driven Sherwood Pump on the driver's side...but I could be wrong.

It is a PCM (blue), it is a belt driven pump on the drivers side, the question is how to get the housing off because it looks like I need to remove the belt to get to the housing screws, I was hoping to get some advice before this evening if not, I am just going to buy some beer and dive in head first. Just wondering if anyone had an old S&S that had any tips.

east tx skier
02-23-2006, 04:51 PM
Then disregard my Johnson 812 part reference above.

richardsoncd
02-23-2006, 04:53 PM
Ski King: That is the one, any tips, or just take that belt off.

NSXBill
02-23-2006, 04:53 PM
Yes, you must remove the belt

NSXBill
02-23-2006, 04:55 PM
Carefull when you screw the pump back together, both housing and screws are soft brass. Just note how the old impeller is biased before you remove and you should have no problems replacing.

ski_king
02-23-2006, 04:56 PM
Scroll down on the link that east_tx_skier gave you.
http://aquaskier.com/articles/impeller_replacement.htm
It details the procedure.

Be careful putting it back together. It is possible to do it backwards and pump the water in reverse!

Sodar
02-23-2006, 04:58 PM
This is the same setup as out Hydrodyne. Remove the belt by the tensioner on the water pump. There a three bolts on the waterpump housing to crack the case, housing pops open, impeller falls out, replace and you are good to go. If the old impeller is in shreds you might need to backflush the cooling system to get the chunks out, but if it is still whole you are good to go!!

richardsoncd
02-23-2006, 05:01 PM
That looks like all the info I need, appreciate it....if I ever meet you the first round is on me. :toast:

Workin' 4 Toys
02-23-2006, 11:11 PM
Remember, pictures almost always help.