PDA

View Full Version : want a new board, need help

pq2
02-21-2006, 02:42 PM
I want to buy a new wakeboard for my brother and I, he is 190 pounds and im 140. Wich one could work for both, or wich sizes, models will be the best.

thanks

Mag_Red
02-21-2006, 02:57 PM
I'm no expert by, but I would say a 135 for you and a 141 for your brother. :popcorn:

rodltg2
02-21-2006, 03:18 PM
get the cwb tatoo...

Workin' 4 Toys
02-21-2006, 04:10 PM
I want to buy a new wakeboard for my brother and I, he is 190 pounds and im 140. Wich one could work for both, or wich sizes, models will be the best.

thanks
http://www.ridewatersports.com/20oed138wawi.html

Look at the specs....

pq2
02-21-2006, 04:39 PM
thanks guys

baedriver
02-21-2006, 08:46 PM
I am on a 139 omega and love it I am 5'9 160 lbs

Workin' 4 Toys
02-21-2006, 10:13 PM
I am going to suggest an O'Brien 138 for the two users described. Let us know what you end up with would you.

pq2
02-22-2006, 02:07 PM
I am going to suggest an O'Brien 138 for the two users described. Let us know what you end up with would you.

yes, im flying to miami this weekend, so hope i can find one, i will look for the obrien.

do you know a good ski shop in miami????

thanks again

Workin' 4 Toys
02-22-2006, 03:45 PM
yes, im flying to miami this weekend, so hope i can find one, i will look for the obrien.

do you know a good ski shop in miami????

thanks again

That I can not say, I could point out where the nude beaches are though...:cool:

Head to South Beach for some great nightlife if you get a chance. Or daytime too.....

Footin
02-22-2006, 05:23 PM
I second the Obrien choice, they seem to be a little less expensive but still a very nice board.

I bought and Obrien Science last year and have been very happy with it.

pq2
02-23-2006, 10:45 AM
That I can not say, I could point out where the nude beaches are though...:cool:

Head to South Beach for some great nightlife if you get a chance. Or daytime too.....

im gonna stay in south beach, i know very well the party stuff of miami and south beach but not the ski shops.

i will look for the obrien board

kalanic
02-23-2006, 11:43 AM
I ride a Hyperlyte 142.5 Murray DNA Board. It Rocks! Im 5'-11" 180lbs.

pq2
02-23-2006, 03:57 PM
thats one of the choises i had in mind, looks like a "bestbuy" board. Im tired of sking with my kite board

kalanic
02-23-2006, 04:03 PM
thats one of the choises i had in mind, looks like a "bestbuy" board. Im tired of sking with my kite board
DUde, The Murray Kicks %&$! It has 4 aluminum fins & a phat rockers. Murray 2005 Bindings are awsome too with rachet straps!

jayocheskey
02-23-2006, 04:09 PM
You didn't buy a first-rate boat to ride on a second-rate board. I say Hyperlite is the only way to go; they make the best boards. Parks, Murray or Byerly just to name a few.

kalanic
02-23-2006, 04:14 PM
You didn't buy a first-rate boat to ride on a second-rate board. I say Hyperlite is the only way to go; they make the best boards. Parks, Murray or Byerly just to name a few.
100% Agree! It Makes A differance!

ant996
03-01-2006, 02:26 AM
check out http://www.wakeworld.com
they have a board wizard on there so you can get the right board for you weight and ability.

LakePirate
04-11-2006, 10:55 PM
I am looking at getting a wakeboard and went over and used the board wizard and there was a 12cm difference from the smallest to the largest board listed.

Now here is my question

From what I can tell the weight ranges suggested for board usage are too crazy. I mean if you look at CWB boards they have 2 sizes, one for riders up to 170 and another for riders 150 and up. Others have different ranges but still encompass as much as 100 lbs. I have a board, have no idea what size it is or the make and model, all I know is that one of the boots is too small and cuts off the circulation to my foot.

So for a 6'2" guy who weighs 210 and wears a size 13 shoe, what do you guys suggest?

Workin' 4 Toys
04-11-2006, 11:32 PM
If you want good feedback on what size board to get, contact Dustin, Member name: Waterski-Marcoisland (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/member.php?u=1122)
Send him a PM.

bkhallpass
04-12-2006, 12:05 AM
So for a 6'2" guy who weighs 210 and wears a size 13 shoe, what do you guys suggest?

At that height/weight, a 141 to 143. You could get away with a 138
but would probably have to ride at faster speeds to avoid bogging down. Further, at 6'2" the the longer board can provide you a wider stance. As to what particular board, that will depend on ability. The Murray boards from Hyperlite are usually a good choice because they are pretty easy to ride, have continuous rocker, and can handle very advanced tricks as well. BKH

sizzler
04-12-2006, 03:51 AM
I am looking at getting a wakeboard and went over and used the board wizard and there was a 12cm difference from the smallest to the largest board listed.

Now here is my question

From what I can tell the weight ranges suggested for board usage are too crazy. I mean if you look at CWB boards they have 2 sizes, one for riders up to 170 and another for riders 150 and up. Others have different ranges but still encompass as much as 100 lbs. I have a board, have no idea what size it is or the make and model, all I know is that one of the boots is too small and cuts off the circulation to my foot.

what about a barn door :D

kalanic
04-12-2006, 09:27 AM
At that height/weight, a 141 to 143. You could get away with a 138
but would probably have to ride at faster speeds to avoid bogging down. Further, at 6'2" the the longer board can provide you a wider stance. As to what particular board, that will depend on ability. The Murray boards from Hyperlite are usually a good choice because they are pretty easy to ride, have continuous rocker, and can handle very advanced tricks as well. BKH
I agree! You need at least a 142 or 143. Hyperlite Murray Boards & Boots are an awesome choice.

LakePirate
04-12-2006, 12:21 PM
what about a barn door :D

Funny Guy.

I had figured that the 142/143 would be the way to go, it just seems odd to me that I would ride the same board as someone who weighs 70 lbs less than me.

bkhallpass
04-12-2006, 03:26 PM
Funny Guy.
it just seems odd to me that I would ride the same board as someone who weighs 70 lbs less than me.

Probably multiple reasons for the ranges

- It's very easy for a beginner to get up and start riding on a "big board." Once the rider starts to jump, spin, etc. a small rider will have trouble handling the big board. However, it is great for a beginner to get up right away and start enjoying the sport. With a big board, the lighter rider can also go at very slow speeds. This is no different than putting a beginner on a big fat ski.

- The pros are typically short, and light. They often ride bigger boards. Depends upon what they are trying to do. With a big board, they have less drag and can generate tremendous speed and pop. They also have the skills, strength, and particularly torso strength to handle it.

- From a marketing perspective, newbies to the sport are usually looking for something they can share. Parents often look for a board that their kids can grow into. Once they get into the sport, of course, they realize that they'll be better off with their own board, and one that fits. So the board companies win twice - once by removing objections/impediments to entry, and once when the individual buys the right board.

In general, it is easier to ride a board that is a bit big for you than it is to ride a board that is too small. BKH

kalanic
04-12-2006, 03:42 PM
I agree..I learned on a old Hyperlite 137. Im 185lbs at 6'. That board was squirly! Big differance on a 142.

Waterski-Marcoisland
04-13-2006, 10:17 PM
I would tell you to go with a 135 Gator Board Caddy. I use that same board with most of my students at my waterski and wakeboard school. It is a very forgiving board, holds well in rough water and when you progress with your riding you can still take this board into your more advanced riding levels doing inverts, raleys or which ever. This board is the way to go.. www.gatorboards.com Dustin

Workin' 4 Toys
04-14-2006, 12:33 AM
I would tell you to go with a 135 Gator Board Caddy. I use that same board with most of my students at my waterski and wakeboard school. It is a very forgiving board, holds well in rough water and when you progress with your riding you can still take this board into your more advanced riding levels doing inverts, raleys or which ever. This board is the way to go.. www.gatorboards.com (http://www.gatorboards.com/) Dustin
We used this exact board recently with Dustin, and we were impressed.

Davo
04-14-2006, 10:15 AM
I would tell you to go with a 135 Gator Board Caddy. I use that same board with most of my students at my waterski and wakeboard school. It is a very forgiving board, holds well in rough water and when you progress with your riding you can still take this board into your more advanced riding levels doing inverts, raleys or which ever. This board is the way to go.. www.gatorboards.com Dustin

Nice plug.....I would tell you you took a few too many faceplants if you told a 6'2" guy that weighs 210 lbs that a 135cm board is the way to go. :confused:

I ride boards between 134 and 136 cm and I'm 5'7" and 145 lbs. Consider this - Dallas Friday rides a 137 and she's maybe 110 lbs dripping wet....dripping wet. :D

I'm not dissing Gator Boards or the Caddy and I'm not trying to be an a$$, but I dont' see any advantage to a guy his size riding a 135 cm board.

BK pretty much said it the way I see it...:twocents:

NORTHERN LIGHTS
04-17-2006, 04:14 PM
I'm 6'5" 260. I have a hyperlite 147
over 6' you better get a pretty big board just for the stance