PDA

View Full Version : Advice on wide skis, shaped skis, sport skis

Upper Michigan Prostar190
02-21-2006, 10:39 AM
OK, obviously winter is too long and I have too much time on my hands. I am currently hunting a good deal on some trick skis. But another idea I had is picking up a good used wide ski for beginners, or for my friends and I just for fun to good around on. I figure winter is a good time to do this when I have time to devote to it.

SOmething like:

Connelly Mid SX, Pilot, Big easy, or Big Daddy
Obrien Virage or Free carve
HO Radius

Just want to know what you people can tell me about them. I know there are a wide range of sizes, and I am only buying ONE ski, so I am curious what size is good for an all around size, that would accomodate smaller skiers as well as larger ones.

What models are better or worse? any pros or cons?
:confused: :confused:
I am open to any and all ideas. Keep in mind, I just wanna an extra option on the water for everyone to have fun with. I am gonna pick one up used on ebay or ski it again or here or somewhere, but I just want a bit of knowledge to get the best choice for my application.

Thanks!!!! :)

UMP

east tx skier
02-21-2006, 10:43 AM
I think the ultra wide skis (the ones that look like small pontoons) are great for getting people up on skis for the first time, but after that, they are pretty worthless to ride. Not familiar with the models you mentioned, so I can't comment.

For getting people up the first time, a good, flat-bottom, wooden ski with a big metal fin and a deep-v handle are my tools of choice.

But I'm big on wooden skis for diversion puposes. If you're looking for a good diversionary ski, I highly recommend a maherajah. Here's my Longboard. My training woodie is behind it.

LakePirate
02-21-2006, 11:15 AM
I agree with Eastie, we have the KD and HO versions of the shaped ski and while one would think it would be fun to go out and jump the wake and play around it is really not that enjoyable of a ride. We bought them for the bigger skiers in the family (I am the runt at 6'2" 210) and they don't really like them either. The wide slalom doesn't fit into the easy-up rope as well as the smaller, thinner skis.

east tx skier
02-21-2006, 11:25 AM
Well, I should clarify that the skis to which I'm referring look as if they have a keel they're so wide. That is to say, there's wide and there's WIDE.

02-21-2006, 11:29 AM
Well then, you see why I sought advice here!!! :toast: YOu boys might just have saved me from a poor purchase decision. :) SO maybe I should just stick to that old 72" Kidder Cruiser I have for starting skiers out slaloming. That seems to work well. I just thought that those wide skis were supposed to be fun for any skier. SO thats just marketing hype then. I can see what you both mean, as when I tried my Kidder Cruiser last year to learn deep water starts on one, I hated it once I got up on it. It was so unresponsive. not fun at all.

Ya know, my buddies wife got him a new HO for christmas, so he gave me his Obrien Targa binding and RTP from his old ski which he is retiring. So I have 2 darn near new obrien bindings to use.....so I was thinking about buying a 69" Synchro blank to use for other skiers that need to drop a ski, or just for us to have for variety. Maybe my money will be better spent on something like that.....hmmmmmm.

ANy other ideas????

UMP

02-21-2006, 11:32 AM
Well, I should clarify that the skis to which I'm referring look as if they have a keel they're so wide. That is to say, there's wide and there's WIDE.

in my opinion, this is WIDE. how bout you? what you think? :confused:

http://www.overtons.com/cgi-bin/overtons/order/large.cgi?18506450CR521

LakePirate
02-21-2006, 11:35 AM
The HO we have does have a keel. It runs about 3/4 of the way down the ski.

The KD is not as wide but it is the only occupant of the ski locker.

kpickett
02-21-2006, 12:41 PM
So I have 2 darn near new obrien bindings to use.....so I was thinking about buying a 69" Synchro blank to use for other skiers that need to drop a ski, or just for us to have for variety. Maybe my money will be better spent on something like that.....hmmmmmm.
UMP

The Synchro is a great ski. My buddy who is quite a bit bigger than I am (6'1 - 200 lbs) bought a 69" a couple years ago. He takes it into the course. The slightly wide forebody makes the starts a lot easier on him, but the ski is very aggressive. I've never seen him ski as well as he does on the Synchro.

He leaves the ski at my place, and I use it to get people up on a slalom for the first time - like you want to do. It works very well. It would be a good choice.

east tx skier
02-21-2006, 12:47 PM
in my opinion, this is WIDE. how bout you? what you think? :confused:

http://www.overtons.com/cgi-bin/overtons/order/large.cgi?18506450CR521

That's what I'm talking about. We had a skier in the family who spent literally years trying to get up on slalom. While a ski like that (by O'Brien) was ultimately the answer, once up, she decided that it was no fun to ride. Another family member who is a more accomplished skier tried to ride it and quickly agreed.

For just getting someone up on slalom though, they're good.

88 PS190
02-21-2006, 01:02 PM
Ultimately that will sit in a crawl space next to our amigo.

I learned on a obrien world team. Its similar to a syncro i'd think. Another ski I found easy to ride was the connelly F3 (concept). Not quite as easy to get up on as some of the wider ones though.

BeavenX5
02-21-2006, 01:06 PM
My wife had an Obrien Free Carve (very wide at the tip and highly profiled) when she started slalom 10 years ago. She enjoyed it for a few year and was realy past due to update last year. It is a great ski to learn deap water start on one ski: my kids learned slalom starts on it at 7-8 years old because it was so easy.
Unfortunately I never tried it myself because of the XS bindings but everyone who learned slalom on it loved it. As soon as you start to really pull across the wake, it becomes obsolete.
Great ski for friends starting on a slalom. Probably not that fun for you although it will allow you one last pull when you are dead tired at the end of the day. Remember that you pull your skier at 23-26 MPH with a widebody like this.
Personnally, I think it is a great ski to own for the friends and family as long as it does not cost you too much $ to buy.
:twocents:
We are keeping ours....
JC

ski_king
02-21-2006, 01:27 PM
I bought a Syncro and a Mapple last year.
I love that Syncro and it skies almost as well as the Mapple without the need for the fine tuning.

Go with the Syncro.

Leroy
02-21-2006, 01:50 PM
I have an EP wide track, that Lee (if you remember him) recommended to me. Bought it for $35 on Ebay and have skied on it for two years. Very forgiving, allows you to work on technique much more, first time in the course at age 45 I did get 1 ball and almost a second one at 15 off. I'm looking for better ski this spring, but you can go a long ways with a wide ski and have a lot of fun as it is less tiring!

02-22-2006, 03:36 PM
alright, I think I am shifting gears here. Doesnt sound like the WIDE skis are what I am looking for. I still have my old Kidder Cruiser 72" for a trainer ski for slalom learners, and for larger skiers. It still works for its intended use. I Just was under the belief that those WIDE skis were fun to ride. so that being the case, I will focus efforts in another direction......

Ryan
02-22-2006, 04:21 PM
Wide skis are great for low powered boats and the uninitiated/timid/frustrated skier. I think the Connelly SX is on Overtons as a dent and ding for $109. I just bought a used SX for my sister (who has tried to slalom for years unsuccessfully). I cast a vote for them being fun, but have to suspect an FX or Synchro would be more fun.

lakes Rick
02-22-2006, 04:26 PM
I have a big easy that I purchased years ago.. Its more like a surfboard with bindings.. Great fun when the water is rough, but it will NOT cut at all..
Patty had a "shaped" ski.. It was harder to get up on than a regular slalom....

Dan K
02-22-2006, 04:43 PM
I have a Syncro and do not believe it cuts as well as it should. The ski is pretty massive and requires a degree of control or your OTF.

3event
02-22-2006, 04:59 PM
I have a friend who bought a shaped HO Burner (Comp-Freeride series) a couple of years ago. He was just learning, but wasn't happy with it for long. Needs to upgrade now.

For a really forgiving ski that still generates some fun, I always liked my old Connelly Concept. Not lightning fast across the wakes, but everybody who used it enjoyed it. Only problem was difficulty of launch, but that could be partially due to double boot setup.

I would like also have a "guest ski" but I can probably buy a clearance ski complete for less money than putting new bindings on my Concept, so it sits with front binding coming apart...

02-22-2006, 05:09 PM
I would like also have a "guest ski" but I can probably buy a clearance ski complete for less money than putting new bindings on my Concept, so it sits with front binding coming apart...

Watch ebay for a binding, you may luck out. :)

jimmer2880
02-23-2006, 06:23 AM
Well... let me be the first to disagree with just about everyone on here. I bought my wife a Mid-SX years ago. Went ahead & put a double-boot & a spoiler on it.

I usually ski a Goode 9200 and consistantly (but - not always :( ) ski 22off @ 34 mph in the course. But - a hand-ful of times, I do take out my wife's Connelly Mid-Sx. That ski is simply a blast go to out & "just mess around" on. While it's not a "hard core slalom" ski, in the setup she has, it will take you into the course easily. It effortlessly cuts & holds, while somehow it's not one of those skiis that's always looking for an edge. You can actually relax & take in the scenery.

In my opinion - it is the ultimate non-competition level ski. I have never skied on any other shaped skiis though, so cannot speak of what others have to offer. But - the Connelly Mid-SX is a blast.

02-23-2006, 09:51 AM
Interesting Jimmer!! Sounds like you both enjoy that ski. Thanks for the post!! :)

agua4fun
02-23-2006, 05:57 PM
I have taught MANY (100?) people to ski, and i must say that the wide connelly skis are amazing for getting them up. especially the little wide skis for kids.
If you have lots of beginners, id say get a set. granted they will move out of them quickly, but if it gets another kid to ski then :)
I agree they are good for cruising, I went 28 miles (around the lake) on one.

02-23-2006, 08:24 PM
I have taught MANY (100?) people to ski, and i must say that the wide connelly skis are amazing for getting them up. especially the little wide skis for kids.
If you have lots of beginners, id say get a set. granted they will move out of them quickly, but if it gets another kid to ski then :)

Man that must have been an hour trip...... :eek:

agua4fun
02-24-2006, 08:13 AM
Yeah, 28 miles, PP@28mph, exactly one hour. there were two of us at the same time for company. we ate some pizza while going (we had another boat bring it up to us). there is another lake that is 60+ miles that id like to do this year. id choose the wide ski again.

02-24-2006, 12:21 PM
Thats pretty impressive!!! I have to say though, you need to find a pizza place that delivers fresh pizza all the way out to you on the lake. :D

jimmer2880
02-24-2006, 07:07 PM

That's just it.... Unless you are "hard core" slalom (like, a course skier), I feel that the Mid-SX is an awesome all around ski. If I can ski 15off @ 32 mph in the course, it's not just a "beginner" ski, rather a true beginner to intermediate.

Now - if the person wants to ski the course, then, of course, get them into a more high-end ski.

quincyfirefighter
02-24-2006, 09:35 PM
I got to say that I have been watching this post because I myself am looking for a ski that I can keep up with and like always I get the best answers from all of you. :D I"m a 6'1", 235 pound boy that can muscle getting up on a 69" Wood Maherajah that my dad skied on but would like a better ride. Ryan turned me on to the Connelly FX :cool: but been also looking at the Synchro. Jimmer your right about picking the right ski. You have to be honest about what you what out of a ski. Guess I'm just looking for the best ride I can get :twocents:

jimmer2880
02-27-2006, 06:37 AM
What ever you decide - be sure you get it setup right for you. I imagine that my wife's ski would be a dog with an adjustible front foot & rear toe plate. I ordered the ski with double high-wraps, which (from this thread) sounds like the key.

Good luck with your search. If you ever make it over to MD (and you have feet no bigger than size 10 - 11 if they're skinny), you're more than welcome to take it for a ride.

02-28-2006, 09:17 AM
Here's part of the solution. I got a SUPER SWEET deal on this 69" HO Triumph blank, its a 2005 left over. I didnt realize that Obrien Bindings will bolt right up on HO skis. :eek: Wiley told me my Obrien Contact bindings that I had would bolt right on this, and he was right!!! Wileys RULES!! I was gonna buy a Synchro blank for my bindings. I had a buddy give me his Targa, and RTP so I put it on my Siege. Here's some pics of the new addition to the fleet. So I got my 67" Vengeance, the 69" Triumph, and the 68" Seige. I also just bought an older used Obrien Freecarve on ebay for the wide ski idea. I will post pics when I get it. I'M GETTIN ALL READY FOR SUMMER!!!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v457/guitarzan1972/Triumph1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v457/guitarzan1972/Triumph4.jpg

02-28-2006, 09:19 AM
a few more......

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v457/guitarzan1972/Triumph2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v457/guitarzan1972/Triumph3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v457/guitarzan1972/daHOs1.jpg

02-28-2006, 09:21 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v457/guitarzan1972/daHOs3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v457/guitarzan1972/datrio2.jpg

DooSPX
03-13-2006, 06:26 PM
I know the thread is old, but just now saw it... nice fleet UMP...

congrads !!

03-13-2006, 07:30 PM
thanks Doo :wavey: :D

erkoehler
03-13-2006, 07:32 PM

Are you keeping all three?

03-13-2006, 07:36 PM
Yep. The 67" Vengeance is my main ride. I got the obrien targa from my buddy and put it on the Siege. I just got the Triumph blank and put my contact bindings on it(from the siege). I plan on using the 69" Triumph just for variety,but I thought it might be nicer in for the dry suit frigid water skiing as its a bit easier for take offs, and its a bit more stable and forgiveing than the Vengeance. (dont wanna fall in that cold water) ;) Just my plan.... The seige will become the "boat ski" that anyone can ski on cuz its got a RTP. :smile:

erkoehler
03-13-2006, 07:40 PM
UMP, have you ever thought of adding a RTP for while your in the dry suit? Then, you could wear a dry sock on that foot????

Might be worth it if your going to start your season that early.

03-13-2006, 07:40 PM
Hey, BTW can anyone tell me anything about the Triumphs?? I am curious to what your opinions are. I was just looking for an extra ski to put my contact bindings on, and I was really lookin for a Synchro, but I stumbled across a super sweet deal on this 05 Triumph, so I had to snag it once I found out my Obrien bindings bolted right on it with no mods. I am just curious if anyone here skis the Triumph???? :confused:

03-13-2006, 07:42 PM
UMP, have you ever thought of adding a RTP for while your in the dry suit? Then, you could wear a dry sock on that foot????

Might be worth it if your going to start your season that early.

Hmmm....never thougth of that Erk.....I will consider it.....

Thanks!!! :)

erkoehler
03-13-2006, 07:48 PM
Hmmm....never thougth of that Erk.....I will consider it.....

Thanks!!! :)

My brother is adding a RTP to his Vengeance this summer so that he can use it in the ski show. They are around $50.

DooSPX
03-13-2006, 08:12 PM

no problem bud!!

03-15-2006, 10:26 AM
SO anyone got any ideas on those HO Triumphs?? :confused:

Leroy
03-15-2006, 10:56 AM
I would like to demo what you have this spring, along with Synchro. Still searching ebay looking for bargain! HB has send me many opportunities, but I haven't been successful yet.

What is that saying a man with one watch knows what time it is if you have more than one you don't know! Hope you can get in the grove with each of those skis!

03-15-2006, 11:58 AM
I would like to demo what you have this spring, along with Synchro. Still searching ebay looking for bargain! HB has send me many opportunities, but I haven't been successful yet.

What is that saying a man with one watch knows what time it is if you have more than one you don't know! Hope you can get in the grove with each of those skis!

Yes, me too. THe Vengeance is my fav compared to the Seige, but the siege aint a bad ski at all, just not as good as the HO....

Curious to ride that Triumph..... :)