PDA

View Full Version : Digital Camera

BrianM
02-21-2006, 10:25 AM
Well my old Sony digital camera is on its last legs. Looking at getting something new and was wondering what everyone is using out there. I am looking for a high quality point and shoot not a SLR. I am leaning toward the Olympus Stylus 800 (http://www.beachcamera.com/shop/product.aspx?ref=dealtime&utm_source=DealTime&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=OMST800&sku=OMST800) anyone have this camera? Gets great reviews. Other suggestions on what to look at? I just want something that will take great pictures and be nice and compact.

mrcrowson
02-21-2006, 10:37 AM
BrianM
I am selling this Nikon 4500 (only one year old)
$250.00 (look at all the extras you will get) SOLD (545)

east tx skier
02-21-2006, 10:39 AM
Brian, I've had great results from my Canon Powershot Digital Elph. Most of the pictures I've uploaded here were taken with it.

LakePirate
02-21-2006, 11:00 AM
I bought the wife a Nikon Coolpix 5900 for her birthday last year. It is in the price range you are looking at. We have been very pleased with it thus far.

mrcrowson
02-21-2006, 11:01 AM
I am now using the Nikon 7900 both are really nice cameras

Leroy
02-21-2006, 11:19 AM
That looks very nice, but I would try to get 10x optical instead of the 3x optical.

LakePirate
02-21-2006, 11:24 AM
That looks very nice, but I would try to get 10x optical instead of the 3x optical.

Optical is the key word here.

skeeler
02-21-2006, 11:28 AM
Well my old Sony digital camera is on its last legs. Looking at getting something new and was wondering what everyone is using out there. I am looking for a high quality point and shoot not a SLR. I am leaning toward the Olympus Stylus 800 (http://www.beachcamera.com/shop/product.aspx?ref=dealtime&utm_source=DealTime&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=OMST800&sku=OMST800) anyone have this camera? Gets great reviews. Other suggestions on what to look at? I just want something that will take great pictures and be nice and compact.
I have had at least 10 cameras in the past 2 years and by far the best compact camera I have owned is my Casio Exilim. The best feature in my opinion, is that the flash in any light is instant. NO DELAYS!! If you have used any other, like Sonys, you know that this feature is key.
http://exilim.casio.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=cameras.features&exp_id=1A5770F3-C9FD-45EC-992C-F6A411DB509A

BrianM
02-21-2006, 11:29 AM
Optical is definately the key. I am good with 3x optical and a digital on top of that. My current camera has 3x optical and I rarely need more than that. One thing that I have found is usually going up to say a 10x optical zoom usually makes the cameras larger. I would much rather have the smaller package with the 3x.

skeeler
02-21-2006, 03:28 PM
Optical is definately the key. I am good with 3x optical and a digital on top of that. My current camera has 3x optical and I rarely need more than that. One thing that I have found is usually going up to say a 10x optical zoom usually makes the cameras larger. I would much rather have the smaller package with the 3x.
Doesn't get any smaller than the Casio. I have this in my pocket at all times. You never know when you are going to need it. :D

mitch
02-21-2006, 04:43 PM
Brian, I've had great results from my Canon Powershot Digital Elph. Most of the pictures I've uploaded here were taken with it.

Brian, I also love the Elph, and if you're looking for small then it's for you.

RedStar
02-21-2006, 04:46 PM

I have a larger package, so I'd need the 10x. :dance:

Workin' 4 Toys
02-21-2006, 09:58 PM
We have had awesome luck with Olympus. We currently use the 595. We don't get any fancy camera because we tend to leave them places accidentally, and I would rather lose a $300 camera than a $1000.00 camera. And the pictures turn out excellent.

BrianM
02-22-2006, 08:07 AM
Well I think I have decided on the Olympus Stylus 720SW (http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/product.asp?product=1225). It is a 7 mega pixel camera that is shock proof from a 5 ft height and waterproof to 10ft. Perfect for a watersports enthusiast like me and only $399. No worries of getting it wet. It has almost all of the features of the Stylus 800 but in a small waterproof package. :headbang: Isn't going to be released until March but I can wait.

jayocheskey
02-22-2006, 10:40 AM
Sony Cybershot DSC V3. Love it!!!

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydscv3/

vegashomeexpert
02-22-2006, 10:55 AM
I have a Canon SD400 digital elph. However, I am going to change to a casio so I can take pictures like Skeeler... It is the camera, isn't it? :)

BriEOD
03-01-2006, 08:09 AM
I have a Canon EOS Digital Rebel SLR and really like it.

TonyB
03-01-2006, 10:16 AM
If you plan on taking wakeboard, water skiing, or any sports/action type photos, you'll want and need a camera that doesn't have the dreaded "shutter lag". There is nothing worse than anticipating and seeing the shot of a lifetime, only to press the shutter button, wait, see the opportunity pass by in the viewfinder, and then have shutter engage after the event has moved into recent history.

Most digital cameras are fine for snapshots where subjects wait and hold for the camera to click. Only a few affordable digital cameras approach the quality of a professional slr film camera.

jayocheskey nails it in post #15.

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V3 Pro (http://outside.away.com/outside/gear/gear.tcl?gear=Sony-Cyber-shot-DSC-V3-Pro&gear_id=325&action=showgear)

stevo137
03-01-2006, 10:17 AM
I have the Canon A85 and one thing that impressed me was it was dropped from about 3-4 feet in the foyer on tile and it didn't phase it. It does a nice job and is very durable. Takes a beating in the boat too.

I hear ya' regarding the lag and that Sony looks great.

bcampbe7
03-01-2006, 10:21 AM
I have a Canon EOS Digital Rebel SLR and really like it.

Yeah but your rich!

BrianM
03-01-2006, 11:57 AM
Just placed my order for the Olympus 720SW. Should have it at the end of next week or begining of the following. Was $350 shipped to my door. Looks like it will fit my needs perfect.

Workin' 4 Toys
03-01-2006, 12:46 PM
Just placed my order for the Olympus 720SW. Should have it at the end of next week or begining of the following. Was $350 shipped to my door. Looks like it will fit my needs perfect.
Let me know how you like it. I am an Olympus fan and that may be my next one too.

erkoehler
03-01-2006, 08:57 PM
Doesn't get any smaller than the Casio. I have this in my pocket at all times. You never know when you are going to need it. :D

Guess he hasn't needed it lately! :(