PDA

View Full Version : black on black boat

john miller
09-17-2004, 09:50 AM
who has the black on black with hood scoop 197? pleas post pics.

Prostar19
09-17-2004, 10:02 AM
John,

I had it but sold it to a guy in Cleveland Ohio. I have a lot of pics. Just shoot me and email if you would like me to email them to you. Too many to post

aprgriggs
09-17-2004, 04:48 PM
who has the black on black with hood scoop 197? pleas post pics.

Do they still make this hood scoop? And will it go on a X9?

Great looking boat to bad you had to sell it.

acurtis_ttu
09-17-2004, 05:18 PM
I have an all black PS 190 w/ grey interior...it looks good but it gets way to hot in the summer. I'll try and post pics up next week

Stritt
09-17-2004, 11:46 PM
aprgriggs, don't feel to bad for prostar19 he has a 35th anniversary 197 now. ;)

H20skeefreek
09-18-2004, 07:00 AM
the hoodscoop looks cool, but does anyone else use the motorbox for a seat?

SD190EVO
09-18-2004, 08:18 AM
That is a beautiful boat. Love the scoop, a-la 70s muscle-car.

One of the Pro-Tour drivers told me that the scoop was made because the 454 was starving for air under the motor box.

H20skeefreek
09-18-2004, 09:03 AM
do the pro-tour boats have 454's, all of them?

aprgriggs
09-18-2004, 10:07 AM
aprgriggs, don't feel to bad for prostar19 he has a 35th anniversary 197 now. ;)

yeah, but his new boat is nice as well.

I just got to get one of those hood scoops. Looks so mean.

bepresto
09-18-2004, 10:26 AM
my 2003 pro tournament 197 has the 6.0 LQ9 cadillac engine, but not all have this motor. I know the gentleman that has the other pro tour boat in the area, identical boats but his has the MCX engine in it.

gene dobies
09-18-2004, 11:07 AM
How do you like your LQ9 engine? I am ordering a 190 with that engine myself. How is the closed cooling system? Did it come with a stainless steel prop, I understand that they do.

aprgriggs
09-18-2004, 11:38 AM
my 2003 pro tournament 197 has the 6.0 LQ9 cadillac engine, but not all have this motor. I know the gentleman that has the other pro tour boat in the area, identical boats but his has the MCX engine in it.

Sorry for the dumb question but I don't know much about the pro tour boats. Do they all have that scoop?...that would explain why I can't find that scoop anywhere. And how do I get one?

bepresto
09-18-2004, 03:48 PM
no not a dumb question, and not to my knowledge that they all come with the scoops on them. I would also like to find out where to get one, because i think that it would help my LQ9 breath a little better. more air means more power.

aprgriggs
09-18-2004, 03:50 PM
no not a dumb question, and not to my knowledge that they all come with the scoops on them. I would also like to find out where to get one, because i think that it would help my LQ9 breath a little better. more air means more power.

I am with you except I need it for the MCX.

bepresto
09-18-2004, 03:56 PM
sorry gene, did not mean to ignore you. I love the LQ9 engine. And mine did come with a stainless rudder and prop. The cooling system on the boat works great. the pull out of the hole is more of a smooth pull and great for footin. I was talking with Dave Williams @ Williams Brothers Ski & sports in Shell Knob, Mo on Table Rock Lake, and he put a different pitch prop on his for more of a hole shot. but he lost about 3-4 mph on the top end. I have footed @ 46 behind my boat and I am not interested in losing any off the top end. most of the time, considering the conditions, the boat tops out at 43-44 mph while barefooting. but as a whole i love the motor, it has a good strong pull and feels like it just keeps pulling.

bepresto
09-18-2004, 03:59 PM
i just think the scoop looks cool, and I remember the Pro tour boat a couple of years ago that had one on it, and seeing it pull all the mc pro tour events with the shark face on the front

Stritt
09-18-2004, 07:04 PM
beprto,

You have a great dealer with Dave and April at Williams Bros. I ordered my 03 209 thorugh them. You are right on the money for the LQ9. Matter of fact I'm at the KC airport know getting ready to fly back to Fl.
Was in Wichita for a convention. Where in KS are you located?

Aprgriggs,

Yes, prostar19 has a Really nice boat now too ;) . His is #10 and mine is #11.

I will be at the factory this Friday, I'll check on the hood thing if you would like. I'll also check on the extra air to see if it will free up some hp. Currenty I max out at about 4950 RPM according to PP.

André
09-19-2004, 12:03 PM
Anybody got some?
Also,reading you guys posts,wouldn't it be a technical design flaw if you would just have to give more air to yours engines to increase HP? :confused:
All good looking boats!

JimN
09-19-2004, 12:27 PM
If the scoop is funtional, the only thing it will do is send more air into the motor box for cooling, since the scoop isn't connected directly to the intake. The scoop and flame arrestor aren't connected, right? Also, the boat isn't going fast enough to make a big difference in the amount of intake air.

H20skeefreek
09-19-2004, 01:41 PM

you could get a hoodscoop from a current Mustang GT. I know they sell them and you could bolt it right on to the motor box. you'd have to remove the front grille to make it functional though. go to www.gefracing.com you can order a scoop there.

Diesel
09-20-2004, 11:14 PM
If the scoop is funtional, the only thing it will do is send more air into the motor box for cooling, since the scoop isn't connected directly to the intake. The scoop and flame arrestor aren't connected, right? Also, the boat isn't going fast enough to make a big difference in the amount of intake air.

This is my understanding:

The hood scoop is only avalible on the 496 motor box and is now required on L-18 equipped DD boats. It was introduced to solve a design flaw............the motor was starving for air. As Jim notes it is not a "ram" air scoop but does provide additional air needed for the big block. There simply was not enough volume of air under the cramped motor box to feed the motor, thus the scoop was created.

I have driven an X9 with a L-18 and the scoop does make the motor very loud and almost uncomfortable in the drivers seat. There is only a small screen and no sound insulation in the scoop so everything under the motor box is amplified. Hearing the transmission and the throttle body sucking air the entire time drove me crazy.

H20skeefreek
09-21-2004, 06:43 AM
I have driven an X9 with a L-18 and the scoop does make the motor very loud and almost uncomfortable in the drivers seat. There is only a small screen and no sound insulation in the scoop so everything under the motor box is amplified. Hearing the transmission and the throttle body sucking air the entire time drove me crazy.

lol, try driving an 80's model. I can't wait to get my motor box insulated this winter.

aprgriggs
09-21-2004, 10:08 AM
How about colors? Can you get them in different colors? I am thinking about an orange & black boat.

Ric
09-21-2004, 10:49 AM
Sounds like maybe it's an attempt to get cooler air inside the box due to the closed cooling system creating a higher ambient temp?

east tx skier
09-21-2004, 11:18 AM
I was thinking that it didn't look like a desireable place for ram air. With the jump seat in and the windshield closed, I wouldn't think there'd be much breeze there. Makes the engine box hard to sit on, too. ;)

ski_king
09-21-2004, 11:58 AM
I was thinking that it didn't look like a desireable place for ram air. With the jump seat in and the windshield closed, I wouldn't think there'd be much breeze there. Makes the engine box hard to sit on, too. ;)

I agree, while it looks "cool", I believe it would only be of benefit with the windshield open. The intake noise would be annoying also.

Now on a closed bow boat, I think it would be a good idea. The early/mid 80’s have something like this.

lakes Rick
09-21-2004, 06:02 PM
How about colors? Can you get them in different colors? I am thinking about an orange & black boat.

A beaver fan.....

captkidd
09-22-2004, 09:43 AM
April, I think you might want to test drive a boat with a scoop (if you can find one) before ordering one and then not being happy with it. A lot of extra noise doesn't seem like a good thing IMHO, especially with a little one sleeping in the observer seat.

Seems like MC could open up the vents on the front and channel the air back to the motor box to help with this situation.

Prostar19
09-22-2004, 10:01 PM
Just to clarify. MasterCraft made the hood scoop for the Beast. Their Ski Fly Boat. It had the 8 liter engine and the air intake on the motor is curled upward and would not fit in a standard motor box. They did not do it to add air flow or HP just clearance. Add it looks cool too!!

Farmer Ted
09-22-2004, 10:23 PM
Is this the Beast?

captkidd
09-23-2004, 01:51 PM
I just got a new Summit Racing catalog last night, and they had a fairly large selection of hood scoops for <$100 each. www.summitracing.com

G-man
09-23-2004, 02:29 PM
Thats the beast!!! It also has a right hand prop not a left hand.

Diesel
09-24-2004, 10:57 PM
Just to clarify. MasterCraft made the hood scoop for the Beast. Their Ski Fly Boat. It had the 8 liter engine and the air intake on the motor is curled upward and would not fit in a standard motor box. They did not do it to add air flow or HP just clearance. Add it looks cool too!!

If what you say is true then why did they open up the scoop?? If it is just for clearance then why not leave the scoop closed off with glass to keep the noise level down??

Also the first couple of DD boats I saw with the L-18 had closed motor covers with no scoop that were later upgraded to the scoop because the engines were starving..................................Just to clarify :D

H20skeefreek
09-25-2004, 08:07 AM
Thats the beast!!! It also has a right hand prop not a left hand.

is there a website that goes into detail about this boat?

Prostar19
09-30-2004, 08:53 PM
It was a ski fly boat they did not care about noise. All they care about is image

aprgriggs
10-01-2004, 10:00 AM
It was a ski fly boat they did not care about noise. All they care about is image

The way it looks...that is what I think but my husband says it would be to loud for the baby. Those of you that have heard it what do you think?

Diesel
10-01-2004, 10:39 AM
The way it looks...that is what I think but my husband says it would be to loud for the baby. Those of you that have heard it what do you think?

If you want to hear what it is like take any DD boat out and lift the motor cover up about 10 inches and drive around. This will give you a good idea of what it will sound like. ;)

captkidd
10-01-2004, 04:22 PM
I think you should listen to your husband.

- Rick ;)

prostar 8.1
10-16-2004, 07:13 AM
If you want to hear what it is like take any DD boat out and lift the motor cover up about 10 inches and drive around. This will give you a good idea of what it will sound like. ;)
ive heard it and its awsome,a true "beast".

lakes Rick
10-16-2004, 03:37 PM
I think you should listen to your husband.

- Rick ;)

You use those two things on the side of your head for this.

acurtis_ttu
10-18-2004, 02:42 PM
Here's my 96 PS 190 All black, w/ X-2 graphics