PDA

View Full Version : build your own

richardsoncd
02-20-2006, 11:00 AM
Has anyone ever thought about, or attempted making there own wakeboard / waterski? Or any watersports item?

Ric
02-20-2006, 11:04 AM
made a slalom in hi school wood shop with a full tunnel concave (copied the shape from an early eighties jobe)
never skiid it, I dont think it would have been pretty if I had!!!

richardsoncd
02-20-2006, 11:08 AM
I am thinking of trying to make two things: a surfstyle kneeboard to help teach both young children and disbabled children to get into watersports, but I think it would be really cool to try a slalom as well, but I am not sure if just surfboard foam and fiberglass would be strong enough....man a homemade wooden ski would be sweet.

ski_king
02-20-2006, 11:12 AM
Made a mini disk once out a piece of left over plywood if that counts. Not too hard to cut out a circle. Used it twice and left it outside and it delaminated over winter.....

Have thought about building a ski simular to my Maherajah, but realize it would be lots of work and it would ski like crap.

BeavenX5
02-20-2006, 11:40 AM
Made my own aquaplane a few years ago to get my kids into the sport. They were 2 and 3 years old at the time.
I started a thread on it with plans and pictures Saturday. Here is the link:
www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=7299

Upper Michigan Prostar190
02-20-2006, 01:00 PM
made a slalom in hi school wood shop with a full tunnel concave (copied the shape from an early eighties jobe)
never skiid it, I dont think it would have been pretty if I had!!!

sounds neat. :) I would like to see pics if you have them. that sounds cool. I have my dad old wooden slalom bolted to the wall in his bar in his basement. He retired from skiing years ago, and it looks cool cuz its all laminated with different woods, so it fit the decor of the room.

Post some pics if you have em Ric!!!

88 PS190
02-20-2006, 05:52 PM
What about getting into carbon fiber...

agua4fun
02-20-2006, 06:56 PM
I made a wake surf board last spring. Pink Foam, 6oz glass & West System Epoxy. I based it on a cwb model that a friend had. it weighs almost nothing (about 1/4 of the cwb). i rode it about 6 times, then my buddy snapped it in 2 on his first ride. i guess it needed more glass!

Ric
02-20-2006, 07:47 PM
sounds neat. :) I would like to see pics if you have them. that sounds cool. I have my dad old wooden slalom bolted to the wall in his bar in his basement. He retired from skiing years ago, and it looks cool cuz its all laminated with different woods, so it fit the decor of the room.

Post some pics if you have em Ric!!!
sorry, no pics but it was fun

88 PS190
02-20-2006, 08:15 PM
or you could laminate a piece of wood down the length, for a stringer.

Hoosier Bob
02-20-2006, 08:42 PM
My cousin worked at a boat factory spraying fiberglass (not laying so not MC). Every year he wants us to build a ski or wake board from scratch. I have ebay and do not see any fun in that at all. If you can do it great but you may be able to modify an existing board to suit your needs. Crap all over ebay and elsewhere. I am this year going to re-create the cooler ski. Much different but old coleman cooler with fins mounted on the bottom. Once it is empty the fun begins! :D Not intended for children or the disabled.

88 PS190
02-20-2006, 09:31 PM
If you want to build something, build wake skates. fairly easy project.