PDA

View Full Version : Good businesses to get into

6ballsisall
02-19-2006, 10:58 AM
Getting burned out of the "corporate world" and planning my "exit strategy" I figure I'll do the corporate world a few more years for the experience (and steady pay) but want to start planning my way out. Looking for ideas of good solid businesses, maybe franchises that you have seen be quite succesful in your area. If they have a site please post it as well. Looking for something that doesn't have million dollar startup fees or requires stocking millions in parts/equipment

Thanks!

RackAtak
02-19-2006, 11:29 AM
I know a couple of guys that did very, very well in the mobile windshield chip repair business. How about mobile dent removal?

east tx skier
02-19-2006, 12:12 PM
They got Smoothie King in Indiana? If not (or not many), I recall the franchise costs being low. I was hooked on those things for a long time. Or try Thundercloud Subs (franchise out of Austin).

Face it. In America, we eat. Captialize on it!

stevo137
02-19-2006, 12:50 PM
They got Smoothie King in Indiana? If not (or not many), I recall the franchise costs being low. I was hooked on those things for a long time. Or try Thundercloud Subs (franchise out of Austin).

Yes, if we could just find a delicious food that tastes great, is great for you, stimulates weight loss, builds muscle, lowers cholesterol, makes you feel great and not hungry, you never get tired of it and you can get it in a drive through we would have a winner.
And I'm not talking about Subway thats for sure. I personally think that Subway is a big marketing scam. Cheap, nasty nitrite impregnated ingredients piled on a bunch of bread with mostly iceburg lettuce that has virtually no nutritional value anyway. Not to mention the joke of a geek that pushes the crap.

twieder
02-19-2006, 12:53 PM
How about a locksmith? I'm thinkin about it myself.I needed one two weeks ago and the closest was 45 mi away! Gets a $65 service call and $30 an hour to pic a lock one hour minimum.Yup, thats $95 just to show up and 10 minutes later he's gone!He told me he has about 5k in tools,pics and keys and about 2500 in schooling and licenses.

east tx skier
02-19-2006, 12:58 PM
Yes, if we could just find a delicious food that tastes great, is great for you, stimulates weight loss, builds muscle, lowers cholesterol, makes you feel great and not hungry, you never get tired of it and you can get it in a drive through we would have a winner.

Hey, both the options I mentioned weren't too altogether bad for you. ;)

What does it cost to franchise a McDonalds these days anyway. My wife's got a friend whose parents own about four along I45 in Texas. They are not, how do you say, hurtin'.

stevo137
02-19-2006, 01:00 PM
I believe that it's in the $300,000 or higher range for a Mac's franchise and the business owns you.
Chipotle grill could be a good option and they are owned by Mac's

RedStar
02-19-2006, 01:02 PM
Check out Dixie Chopper lawn mowers, fastest in the world. Zero turn radius. Get one of them and a weedeater and blower and you're in the landscape bidness. Big pimpin'.

east tx skier
02-19-2006, 01:02 PM
Yeah, that has kept me from eating at Chipotle.

/wishes he had a Taco Cabana in his home town.

stevo137
02-19-2006, 01:08 PM
My son has a few good ideas for internet websites and has already started one for musicians. He insists that one day one of them will be "huge" and says he wants to be an eccentric CEO someday. What a dreamer, hey I'm not stealing his dream. More power to him, maybe he can retire the old man early some day...

BrianM
02-19-2006, 01:16 PM
Hey, both the options I mentioned weren't too altogether bad for you. ;)

What does it cost to franchise a McDonalds these days anyway. My wife's got a friend whose parents own about four along I45 in Texas. They are not, how do you say, hurtin'.

McDonalds Franchise Info

Costs & Fees Total investment: $506K-1.6M Franchise fee: $45K

Ongoing royalty fee: 12.5%+

Term of agreement: 20 years, renewable
Renewal fee: $45K

Qualifications Cash liquidity requirement: $100K

BrianM
02-19-2006, 01:19 PM

Smoothie King

Costs & Fees Total investment: $91K-239K Express/kiosk option available

Franchise fee: $25K

Ongoing royalty fee: 6%

Term of agreement: 10 years, renewable
Qualifications Net worth requirement: $100K+
Cash liquidity requirement: $50K

BrianM
02-19-2006, 01:21 PM
Top 10 Low-Cost Franchises for 2006

Curves (http://www.entrepreneur.com/franzone/details/1,5885,12-12---282265-,00.html)
Jackson Hewitt Tax Service (http://www.entrepreneur.com/franzone/details/1,5885,12-12---282470-,00.html)
Jani-King (http://www.entrepreneur.com/franzone/details/1,5885,12-12---282472-,00.html)
RE/MAX Int'l. Inc. (http://www.entrepreneur.com/franzone/details/1,5885,12-12---282746-,00.html)
Liberty Tax Service (http://www.entrepreneur.com/franzone/details/1,5885,12-12---282901-,00.html)
Jan-Pro Franchising Int'l. Inc. (http://www.entrepreneur.com/franzone/details/1,5885,12-12---282471-,00.html)
ServiceMaster Clean (http://www.entrepreneur.com/franzone/details/1,5885,12-12---282789-,00.html)
Kumon Math & Reading Centers (http://www.entrepreneur.com/franzone/details/1,5885,12-12---282507-,00.html)
Jazzercise Inc. (http://www.entrepreneur.com/franzone/details/1,5885,12-12---282474-,00.html)
Chem-Dry Carpet Drapery & Upholstery Cleaning (http://www.entrepreneur.com/franzone/details/1,5885,12-12---282193-,00.html)

BrianM
02-19-2006, 01:47 PM
SuperGlass Windshield Repair

Costs & Fees Total investment: $9.9K-31K Franchise fee: $9.5K+

Ongoing royalty fee: 4%

Term of agreement: 10 years, renewable
Renewal fee: $1K

Qualifications

Net worth requirement: $15K
Cash liquidity requirement: $15K

RedStar
02-19-2006, 02:10 PM
Another suggestion would be to head to a warmer climate and go into the parasail ride business at a beautiful, warm beach. You could do a lot worse than that. :cool:

betsy&david Harrison
02-19-2006, 02:14 PM
A rumor...or in the works... In-N-Out Burger is headed East...get in on this one if you can, it is huge. B

stevo137
02-19-2006, 02:18 PM
Another suggestion would be to head to a warmer climate and go into the parasail ride business at a beautiful, warm beach. You could do a lot worse than that. :cool:
RedStar, it's funny that you mention that, I was thinking the same thing. I would do it but it and set up some other type of vending besides but wouldn't be good for my family at this time.

T Scott
02-19-2006, 02:51 PM
I have an offer in to buy a Waverunner, PADDLE BOAT, rental business. It is located in a 5 star timeshare resort in Central Florida. Weekly turnover of people on vacation, relatively low overhead, and a fun atmosphere. I don't think it will produce enough revenue for me to quit my full time job, but I will likely hire an employee to run things for me and just skim some off the top. I'll let you know if it goes through......free waverunner rentals for any Team talk member!!!

AirJunky
02-19-2006, 03:15 PM
My wife has the same dream, to cut her ties with corporate America & be her own boss. A few years ago she bought a franchise for Business Cards Experts http://www.businesscardexperts.com/
and started her own site, http://www.businesscardsandbeyond.com. Excellent quality cards, sells itself pretty easily with just phone book & newspaper ads. The design work is done in Photoshop. When I was out of work 3 or 4 yrs ago I pounded the street & landed a few accounts that we still have now. But it's typical sales, 10% or 20% success & 80% failure. Plus you get to deal with people who have no idea what they want, then if you tell them there is an $80 design fee with 3 changes allowed, they get all pissed off.

The equivelant to Curves for women is Cuts for men. Same concept, male market, and no where near as many franchises.
http://www.entrepreneur.com/franzone/details/1,5885,12-12---312068-,00.html

A good friend of mine in Seattle did a variety of websites over the last few years. The one that has really paid off is: http://www.proposalkit.com/
He hires professionals to write generic contracts & forms geared towards small businesses. Saves them in Word template format & sells them for $50 - $150 per package. He's been making 5 figures per month the last 3 or 4 yrs & bought himself a BMW Z3 a while back.

I know the parasail guy on the Parker Strip. Super guy to hang around with but he's not getting rich anytime soon. Too seasonal & exceptionally high insurance costs. Plus he has a tough time getting people who can run things while he takes off.

Sodar
02-19-2006, 03:30 PM
A rumor...or in the works... In-N-Out Burger is headed East...get in on this one if you can, it is huge. B

This would be a great investment... they go crazy here in California. Unfortunately, In-n-Out does not franchise, maybe they will if they head east, but as far as I know they are all corporate owned. Anyone have any idea what a manager at In-n-out makes?!?!

Answer: $110,000 with 1 week paid vacation for you and your family to a destination of your choice! Pretty good for a High-School Grad job!

jpattigr
02-19-2006, 03:30 PM
Vietnamense Noodle houses are the next fast food wave!!

Farmer Ted
02-19-2006, 03:38 PM
Panera Bread, but I think it takes a million or so of cash

damn I wish they had one in Bossier

how about getting a digital camera and getting good with the city youth sports director and taking the team pictures for little league baseball, soccer, and basketball

we get folded over the barrel everytime that guy shows up....

RedStar
02-19-2006, 04:25 PM
Vietnamense Noodle houses are the next fast food wave!!

also known as POODLE ON A NOODLE. ;)

sberry3827
02-19-2006, 04:29 PM
Not sure if Indiana has these or not, but Jimmy Johns Gourmet Sandwiches is a great franchise opportunity. Look them up on the web. Pretty cheap to franchise and for people to eat at. They seem to locate in college towns mostly but I have seen them do well eslewhere also.

Farmer Ted
02-19-2006, 04:35 PM
what about a carwash?

André
02-19-2006, 04:43 PM
Have a friend who started a pressure wash business for car dealers.
Have a van with a water tank and a gas powered pressure whasher.He goes from one car dealer to another,(often next to one and other) and wash every car on the lot for about 3 $ a car.Hired a couples of high school drop out to dry them off by hands.
We all laughed at him when he told us about his idea.
10 years later,look who's laughing all the way to the bank now!
He also got a contract to wash glass bus stops!

AirJunky
02-19-2006, 05:32 PM
Yea, I have a friend washes all the UPS & Fedex trucks in town. UPS on Tuesday night, Fedex on Thursday night. Like 100 or more trucks each. And other than keep his gear in shape or doing billing & such, he doesn't work any more. Nice in the summer, he's the guy out on the boat all damn day long.

6ballsisall
02-19-2006, 06:31 PM
Man if In n' Out came to the East i'd be all over that! Those are by far the best burgers I've have EVER had!

jrcarte78
02-19-2006, 09:12 PM
Don't know a whole lot about it, but have talked to a guy here in NW AR that is going to start one of these up. He said when he was looking at franchises he found it to be one of the lowest initial investments...

1800 got junk (http://1800gotjunk.com/)

Leroy
02-19-2006, 09:57 PM
That would be great! Always one of my first stops in CA!

betsy&david Harrison
02-19-2006, 09:58 PM
My 9 year old devours a double-double faster than I can eat a single. Goin' tomorrow mmmmmm

Leroy
02-19-2006, 10:00 PM
Quick lube place. Friend in CA was starting up 3 with 2 other partners. Seems like fees ~100k each plus buying the place. Another friend in Indy that owns several here seems to have it pretty easy. But in the beginning much work.

On the Smoothie king we have one in Carmel, but my son says only the girls like them. He gets the 44oz mountain dew freezie at the gas station! :D

Leroy
02-19-2006, 10:02 PM
Hmmmm, the fresh home made style fries! Probably a lot cheaper stamping fries from fresh potatoes also.

DO you order off the menu? They have many things you can order no on the menu since the menu is just like hamburger, fries and drink.

My 9 year old devours a double-double faster than I can eat a single. Goin' tomorrow mmmmmm

betsy&david Harrison
02-19-2006, 10:09 PM
Hmmmm, the fresh home made style fries! Probably a lot cheaper stamping fries from fresh potatoes also.

DO you order off the menu? They have many things you can order no on the menu since the menu is just like hamburger, fries and drink.
We usually order off the menu. I have had the lettuce wraped burger once..pretty good but not the same. What else is there to know about...I'm waiting....

Leroy
02-19-2006, 10:19 PM
I think there are many more choices, in the end they will do anything you ask, but the menu is very simple!

Soft Drinks in any mix
Animal Style: Mustard is spread on the bun before it's grilled. Pickles, extra spread and grilled onions are added.
Protein Style: You get the sandwich wrapped in lettuce instead of a bun.
Old Fashioned Style: Ketchup and mustard instead of the sauce.
Flying Dutchman: Two beef patties and two slices of cheese. That's it. No bun, no veggies.
Double Meat: Double-Double without the cheese
2 by 4: Two beef patties and four slices of cheese.
4 by 4: Four beef patties and four slices of cheese.
X by Y: X beef patties and Y slices of cheese.
Grilled Cheese Sandwich: Hamburger without the beef patty. This, however, costs just as much as a cheeseburger. Go figure.
Veggie Burger or Wishburger: Hamburger without the beef patty or cheese. Somehow, this costs just as much as a hamburger.
On the Sal: This is just lettuce and dressing. Nothing else.
Fries Well-Done: Extra crispy fries. Some places will fry your fries twice to make them extra crispy. Yum.
Animal Style Fries: Pony up a few more quarters for these DELUXE fries, which come topped with grilled onions, sauce and cheese for your eating pleasure.
Choco-Vanilla Swirl Shake: Chocolate and vanilla shake.
Neopolitan Shake: A custom mixture of chocolate, vanilla and strawberry shake flavors.

milkmania
02-19-2006, 10:28 PM
Asset Documentation Service

For a fee, I will come to your house OR business and document all your assets with photographs and serial numbers where applicable.

Cows
Horses
Chickens
Dogs
Buildings
Garages
Shop tools
Woodworking tools
Documents
Boats
Cars
Trucks
Electronics, stereo, big screen TV, computers... etc...
Jewelry
Guns
Property
Collectables
Appliances
Knick Knacks
Video Collection
Guitar Collection
Audio Collection
Endless possibilities!
I will create a DVD and a database file for you on my departure. A DVD would be easily read down at the Police Department, or in your own home.

* to get started all I would need would be a laptop, a digital camera, and bonding....
* could do everything out of personal vehicle
* just think of all the people out there that still don't have a computer or a digital camera....
* Insurance companies would love a service like this!
* Would make theft recovery for law enforcement much easier

bucky
02-19-2006, 11:05 PM
Something a relative got into, was called "Increte". You do textured and stained concrete for homes and pools/patios. Looks just like brick or tile or a dozen other materials.
Then there's always tool sales.

JEREMY79
02-19-2006, 11:16 PM
Open your own MC dealership.

twieder
02-20-2006, 12:30 AM
Milk, I'm thinkin you might be on to something there. I'd say 300 to 500 bucks to video a homes contents, copy serials on electronics and burn to disk. :worthy: hummm now ya got me thinkin.....

bradamerry
02-20-2006, 09:12 AM
I going to be a pimp..... ;)

richardsoncd
02-20-2006, 09:34 AM
There are two big franchise companies here in Athens that are doing very well in the south and branching out all over....they are both based out of Athens and I know the owners, they are Barberito's (like a Chipotle but better) and Zaxby's. You can check out there websites, some companies are franchising both establishments and doing very well. Check out there websites:

www.barberitos.com

www.zaxbys.com

ski_king
02-20-2006, 10:06 AM
I know someone who has a number of laundramats. He located them in small college towns and seems to do quite well. No franchises to answer to or pay a percent to.

I also know someone who has a driveway sealer business and is doung well. Problem is driveway sealing season is also ski season.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
02-20-2006, 11:47 AM
I going to be a pimp..... ;)

Me too Brad. Its the perfect biz. You sell it, then you have it, you sell it, then you have it.......

actually scratch that, I am going to be a male prostitute. Like "Fred Garvin" on the OLD saturday NIght live. (Dan Akroyd's geeky gigilo character :D ) Yea, I will become a gigalo.......I will probably starve to death....... :( :uglyhamme