PDA

View Full Version : Getting the Spin-on Fuel Filter Off!

east tx skier
02-18-2006, 09:43 PM
I'm about to start kicking this stupid thing. I've asked this question before as to the how? And short of disassembling it and putting it in a vice, I'm working on it with a filter wrench. I've gotten it to turn a bit, but it's slow going. After I got it going, I expected it to move a little better.

So I'm at the front of the engine. I figured righty-tighty/lefty-loosey. So that means, I'm pulling with the filter wrench toward me to get the filter to turn counter clockwise. But then I start thinking that it's upside-down. So am I doing it right, or did I just make it hella-tight? :o

Once I get it off, how do I make sure it's never this bad next time. Local mechanic muscled it off last time. Was hoping he would not put me back where I started.

88 PS190
02-18-2006, 09:48 PM
Ok, my typical method. Wear sticky fingered gloves, such as one w/ silicon dots on it. You want grip. Grab the sucker, and apply steady constant pressure. These things are on there w/ a rubber seal, that seal gets sticky and foms up and stuck there. That's a pain, but if you are jerky at all, it will rebound on you (just like an oil filter) So you have to be smooth and steady on the pressure till the seal lets go. Otherwise, buy the new filter, take it to an auto parts store, and find a slip on oil filter wrench that will fit the old one, take it, put it on a breaker bar, and get that off of there.

TMCNo1
02-18-2006, 09:56 PM
Eastie, If The Filters Hanging Down And You Are Above It As If You Are Looking Down At It Into The Open End, It Should Turn Clockwise To Remove. If You Would Be Below It Looking Up At The Closed End, It Should Turn Counterclockwise To Remove It.

If Filter Has A Rubber Gasket Like A Oil Filter Apply A Light Film Of Motor Oil To The Gasket And Tighten A Slight Amount Past Hand Tight, Be Sure To Check First Time You Crank It And Check For Leaks And Tighten A Tad More If Necessary.

ONE THING YOU MAY ALSO TRY ON YOUR OIL AND FUEL FILTERS WHEN REMOVING, JUST BEFORE THEY BREAK CONTACT AND START LEAKING THEIR FLUID, PLACE A RAG AROUND IT AND PULL A SMALL GARBAGE BAG OR 1 GAL ZIPLOC OVER IT, SPIN IT OFF AND LET IT FALL INTO THE BAG TO KEEP FLUIDS FROM DROPPING INTO THE BILGE.

AirJunky
02-18-2006, 09:57 PM
I've used large channel locks to get them off. It works, but the cannister gets trashed doing it.

east tx skier
02-18-2006, 10:08 PM
Okay, thanks everyone. It's off and I was right, I was giving it my all to make it tighter. I laid down on the floor and imagined I was looking up at the filter. Yup, if it's upside-down, you don't want to pull that filter wrench toward you. I reversed the wrench, got over behind the driver's seat, and pulled like a sonuvagun. It's loose. And I'm in for some paper towels and a Walmart sack.

So motor oil on the seal is okay?

André
02-18-2006, 10:12 PM
Sure,just dip your finger in some oil and put some on the rubber gasket...but hand tight should do the job for on and off,no need for a filter wrench...

east tx skier
02-18-2006, 10:30 PM
Well, it's on. I dabbed a little oil and put it on. I went a little past hand tight with the filter wrench (since it's fuel). Now that I know which way to pull to get it off, shouldn't be a problem. Now I just need to swap the plugs, wires, pcv, distrib. cap, and rotor and I'm ready for the season. Cap should be in on Monday.

Jim@BAWS
02-18-2006, 11:16 PM
Cap and Rotor $32.95 Plugs 285 HP Motor Autolite 144's ? $2 ea
Oil 20w 50....why are you changing plug wires?

Jim@BAWS

Well, it's on. I dabbed a little oil and put it on. I went a little past hand tight with the filter wrench (since it's fuel). Now that I know which way to pull to get it off, shouldn't be a problem. Now I just need to swap the plugs, wires, pcv, distrib. cap, and rotor and I'm ready for the season. Cap should be in on Monday.

east tx skier
02-19-2006, 01:53 AM
No 20W50 for me. Pennzoil 15W40 at the end of every season.

As for the wires, just as a matter of overdue maintenance. What I've got appear to be the original Taylor wires. If that's the case, I'm betting same cap and rotor as on the showroom, too. $24 for the cap and less than $5 for the rotor. 13 years is a pretty good run for what I've got on there. I'd always heard change the plug wires about every 3 years or 300 hours or so. This will be 3 years that the boat has been under my watch, so the plug wires are getting swapped. Picked up a set for $36 locally.

As for the plugs, I throw new ones in every spring. I've been running Autolite 764s, which ran me $10.32 for 8 today at NAPA. Probably could've saved a little more, but WalMart's been a bit funny about stocking them as have two other autoparts stores I checked in the fall. NAPA didn't have any in stock mid week and had ordered them by the time I came back today.

G-man
02-19-2006, 11:17 AM
There is a strap filter wrench sold at auto zone in the oil filter section that is great. It is made from seat belt straping, no wimpie rubber strap. The "arm" of it plugs into a 1/2" socket wrench. You can really get some torque getting a filter off with this as long as you turn in the correct direction. You had a senior moment prematurly eastie. If you haven't found your plugs yet the AC 42 LTS was recommended to me before they figured what a dog the fishbowl carb was and I ran them the rest of the time I owned the boat.

east tx skier
02-19-2006, 12:17 PM
Thanks, George. The $2 Wally World filter wrench ended up working like a charm when I figured out the most important detail I was overlooking. As for plugs, I got 'em yesterday. When I got my MC manual from MC, there was a handwritten notation by my engine for Autolite 764. When I installed them the first time, turns out that was what the PO was using, too. They've done well for me, so I'll probably stick with them. But thanks for the rec on the AC plugs. I'll put them on my list as an alternate.

Yes, I've been writing down the part numbers.

Apart from the impeller, I'm starting to discover that buying locally is saving me a few bones. The $3 rope packing I could've bought online only cost me $.44 at my local inboard dealer.