PDA

View Full Version : Installing New Skins

rmbrinner
02-18-2006, 06:41 PM
I just recently received new skins from Mastercraft due to pinking problems on the original skins of my 02 X-Star. I was quoted a price of $1500 to install them.

Has anyone attempted this task before? If so, any instructions and tips would be greatly appreciated, as I would really like to save the money and do it myself if possible.

rmbrinner
02-19-2006, 12:01 PM
I already have a thread going on the same subject under upholstery, so if you have anything to add, please add it there. Thanks!

Laurel_Lake_Skier
02-19-2006, 12:10 PM
If you already have the skins, $1500 sounds like a lot for just putting them on. I had the seat bottoms done on mine last year and the bill was under $150 and included the new vinyl.

Not having re-done any seats myself, I'd be checking out some other upholstery shops for better prices on the installation.

herringtech
02-28-2006, 09:11 AM
When I bought my 98 X-star the observer seat was torn. I got the skin from MC (Rambo Marine) and installed it myself.

It was fairly easy to do with some assistance stretching it in place.

A few important things to do:

Remove all the original staples from the seat.

Replace the moisture barrier between the skin and the pads.

Get an electric staple gun (some will even say for upholstery)

Get long Stainless Steel staples, because sometimes you going through several layers of fabric.

The observer seat took me 1 hour to totally remove the original skin and staples and another hour to install the new one. Probably 1 hour of getting necessary supplies too.

JohnnyB
02-28-2006, 08:47 PM
I agree with Laurel Lake....talk to a local upholstry shop. I had my seat bottoms done for the back bench ($100), observers seat bottom ($70), and entire drivers seat redone ($120)...this include materials....

Herringtec...moisture barrier???? :confused:

erkoehler
02-28-2006, 09:05 PM
I just recently received new skins from Mastercraft due to pinking problems on the original skins of my 02 X-Star. I was quoted a price of $1500 to install them.

Has anyone attempted this task before? If so, any instructions and tips would be greatly appreciated, as I would really like to save the money and do it myself if possible.

If they warrantied the skins, why didn't they warranty the labor for the skins?

herringtech
02-28-2006, 09:06 PM
When I pulled the skin off, there was a thin layer of plastic that separated the pads from the skin. When I called Rambo Marine, he told me to replace it, and it was important. That is why I mentioned it.