PDA

View Full Version : Motor Box Gas Springs on 91 ProStar?

TonyB
02-17-2006, 11:28 AM
I am the second owner of a 1991 Prostar 190. It has never had gas springs attached to the motor box/engine cover as long as I've owned it (4 years).

When I open the engine cover, I just flop it back on the back seat cushion (when it's in - which is almost never), or I have to find something to put between the box and the floorboard, otherwise there is lots of tension placed on the hinges, screws, and floorboard at the attachment point.

Did the 91 Prostar come with gas springs originally? If so, where were they attached (pictures?) and how many were there (1 side or both).

Thanks again

Kevin 89MC
02-20-2006, 03:41 PM
Surprised that no one responded. I think there is an old thread about this somewhere. I know my '89 didn't come with them. I've thought of adding them also, butit's a ways down on my list of projects. I share your concern, when mine is open, it squishes my back seat, or rubs on the rear edge of the boat if the seat is out, and it already had a small tear from this when I got the boat.

I would think it could be done relatively easy, but placement and proper sizing would be important. For sure you'd want two. I'd think you would want to match how they did it whenever they started coming with them from MC. I would guess by 92 or 93?
Good luck

AirJunky
02-20-2006, 03:49 PM
My brother added them to an 88.

I'd have to look at the gas springs on the boat to tell you exactly what ones to use. But their on both sides & use these pieces on my 94.

On the Engine cover (http://overtons.com/modperl/overtons/detail/pdetail2.cgi?r=detail_view&item_num=74273&fcat=)
http://overtons.com/graphics/products/medium/74273M.jpg

On the floor (http://overtons.com/modperl/overtons/detail/pdetail2.cgi?r=detail_view&item_num=74274&fcat=)
http://overtons.com/graphics/products/medium/74274M.jpg

Also, more info here. (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=1021&highlight=gas+shocks)

JohnnyB
02-27-2006, 10:35 PM
Air Junky, can you get the info on the gas springs (mfg, model, etc) your brother used on his 88 and the placement of both the mounting brackets measured from some point of reference? How bout some pics? I think there are several of us that would love to make this upgrade!

Also, my 92PS190 comes with a metal "kick stand" that is hinged at the front of the motor cover and is held inplace by a clip when the motor cover is down....damn thing falls out all of the time

erkoehler
02-27-2006, 10:37 PM
Overton's sells the shocks as well.....

88 PS190
02-27-2006, 10:52 PM
Shocks prevent it from opening as far, and get in the way for service. That's why alot of people who have them remove them anyway.

TonyB
02-28-2006, 11:04 AM
Shocks prevent it from opening as far, and get in the way for service. That's why alot of people who have them remove them anyway.

After more research and talking to some 91 Model owners on this site (Bert), I found out that instead of gas shocks there was a prop rod on the 91, much like you would find on most japanese automobile hoods. It would drop down and fit in a hole in the engine cover "stop block". On mine, I can see where the original hinge was (marks and holes on the carpet) and I still have the little angle piece that held it place when it wasn't in use.

The rod, instead of shocks, actually seems like a more reasonable solution (tho' less high tech - ergo, poorer marketing value) in that it doesn't limit how much you can open the engine cover and you can put out of the way when necessary.

Now if I could just get the dimensions or find a replacement.

Here (http://www.tmcowners.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=1190&size=big&ppuser=2114&sl=u) is a limited view of the rod on Upper Michigan Prostar190's ride.

east tx skier
02-28-2006, 11:31 AM
The gas springs on the motorbox were first standard equipment in 1993.

As far as dimensions go, if I'm not mistaken, you can still order replacements from a MC dealer with the proper brackets and all. If you like, I can measure mine to give you the proper locations on the floor and motorbox for the attachment points.

TonyB
02-28-2006, 11:46 AM
The gas springs on the motorbox were first standard equipment in 1993.

As far as dimensions go, if I'm not mistaken, you can still order replacements from a MC dealer with the proper brackets and all. If you like, I can measure mine to give you the proper locations on the floor and motorbox for the attachment points.
I appreciate that east tex, but I'm going to see if can find the original stock prop rod first. Failing that, I will need measurements and locations for installing gas shocks.

Air Junkey directed me to a link (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=1021&highlight=gas+shocks) that identified the engine cover gas shocks part number as SPD-5150-30A. The NAPA equivalent part # is 819-5563.

You sir, are a scholar and a gentleman.

Thanks.

causewayskiier
02-28-2006, 12:17 PM
The gas shocks are difficult to get just right. I installed a couple on my 92 Prosport 205. When the motor cover is closed there is pressure on the hinges and will cause the screws on the hinges to pull out of the engine box or floor boards. I guess if you get the placement just right you may be able to fix this. The engine prop rod isn't a perfect solution either, my hinging piece corroded and wouldn't hold the rod in place. Good luck.

TonyB
02-28-2006, 12:24 PM
The engine prop rod isn't a perfect solution either, my hinging piece corroded and wouldn't hold the rod in place. Good luck.
That might explain it's absence on mine.

DanC
02-28-2006, 01:56 PM
I removed the air shocks from my 2003 because of what 88 ps190 said, they make checking the transmission oil or looking at the stuffing box near impossible. I prefer the prop rod.

east tx skier
02-28-2006, 03:13 PM
When I grease the steering and check the stuffing box, I disconnect the shocks at the point of contact on the engine box. Very easy to disconnect and reconnect IMO. I've never seen a prop rod on one of these.

DanC
02-28-2006, 03:31 PM
The gas shocks on the 2003 are a PITA to disconnect. They disconnect easily but they regularly break. I have bought a handlefull of replacements to have around (same endcaps used on all the gas shocks). MC probably was of the same opinion because they are now using a different endcap (ball/socket joint or whatever you call it)

The prop rod I am refering to was from a non-MC boat.

jbfootin
02-28-2006, 04:03 PM
I dont mean to thread jack, but does anyone else have problems with the gas springs under the front seat on PS190 or 19Skiers? Mine are there but not strong enough to hold the seat up. Just wondering if anyone has put higher strength springs in or are mine just wimpy

jbfootin
02-28-2006, 04:09 PM
You can buy gas springs form McMaster Carr or Reid tool supply. You just have to know the compressed size, extended size, and force. I guess and hope that MC uses a standard size on all of those stats.

east tx skier
02-28-2006, 04:11 PM
jb, you just need to get a new one. About $11 from your dealer. They just wear out over time. I replaced mine two years ago and it works great.

Dan, I have three screws that detach the plate from the motorbox on mine. I don't have to pop the plate loose from the shock. Wasn't sure if I was clear about that or not.

1984StarsandStripes
03-01-2006, 12:07 AM
I love my '84 it has the two piece hinges and I just lift the cover right off and it is clear or what I need to do!!