PDA

View Full Version : Portable Slalom Course

LakePirate
02-17-2006, 12:05 AM
I am looking at portable slalom courses online and see there are 2 models one with polypropylene rope and one with stainless steel cable.
Granted the stainless steel will last longer but are there any other downsides to using the poly?

ilikeitglacy
02-17-2006, 12:28 AM
i would say stretch..

east tx skier
02-17-2006, 12:40 AM
The rope, even if low stretch and pre stretched is going to stretch a little, but I think they account for that pretty well. We used 950' of poly to line up our course and afterwards the measurements were surprisingly accurate (and I thought that stuff was way to stretchy) within tolerance. I think longevity is the biggest concern if your plan is to leave it in the water.

If you're planning to take it out, the rope ought to be fine.

88 PS190
02-17-2006, 01:50 AM
The Mainlines are warranteed by ezslalom. even the poly line.

If you are in brackish water i believe the poly has longevity concerns, in freshwater not so much.

I feel the poly leads to a more accurate course, the fact that poly line floats instead of sinking eliminates any sag between the boom arms. And in my opinion i'd rather cut a line, than wrap a prop in cable.

Also because poly is hollow braid, if it seems to have gotten too long you can use a fid and insert line into the interior until you regain tolerence. you'd have to be mighty picky to notice w/ a portable course.

BeavenX5
02-17-2006, 04:39 PM
Go with stainless if you plan on leaving it submerge one day.
If you go with the stainless steel cable, make sure all the accessories (clamps, bolts, etc...)are also stainless.
I think it is useless to invest in a SS cable only for the stetch.
JC

Holtrodj
02-17-2006, 08:43 PM
Any one know where I could find one of these used? I'd like to pick one up for less than the $700 it costs for new.

east tx skier
02-17-2006, 11:49 PM
www.ski-it-again.com. Try to get them to ship it Greyhound. Because of the telescoping arms, shipping can be rough.

Accufloat or EZ Slalom has a deal where they sell you the mainline and tell you how to make your own telescoping arms. Much cheaper way to go if you have a good plumbing supply outlet and don't mind doing a little extra work. They might be able to get you the balls used, too. If not, a set will cost you approx $120.

If you go with surgical latex 3/8" to secure the balls, get it on ebay. I got 100' for $10. Much better than the price at Lowe's or anywhere else.

Since we have pretty shallow water, we just individually anchored ours. We used 950 feet or so of rope to line it up and did the rest with shorter lengths and a guy in a boat to sight it. I've measured it several times and it seems to be accurate to about an inch.

88 PS190
02-17-2006, 11:59 PM
man you have quite a bit of foliage in your water...

Hoosier Bob
02-18-2006, 12:03 AM
www.ski-it-again.com had a ss setup but no poles or accessories for $240. There were a couple of nylon deals as well.
Sorry easty, always a day late and a dollar short! :D

Farmer Ted
02-18-2006, 12:12 AM
www.ski-it-again.com. Try to get them to ship it Greyhound. Because of the telescoping arms, shipping can be rough.

Accufloat or EZ Slalom has a deal where they sell you the mainline and tell you how to make your own telescoping arms. Much cheaper way to go if you have a good plumbing supply outlet and don't mind doing a little extra work. They might be able to get you the balls used, too. If not, a set will cost you approx $120.

If you go with surgical latex 3/8" to secure the balls, get it on ebay. I got 100' for $10. Much better than the price at Lowe's or anywhere else.

Since we have pretty shallow water, we just individually anchored ours. We used 950 feet or so of rope to line it up and did the rest with shorter lengths and a guy in a boat to sight it. I've measured it several times and it seems to be accurate to about an inch.

Hey Doug,

How far from Bo'Port is your course? Is it "public"? Looks good!

Looks real good seeing as it's 0 degrees outside and -20 windchill here in Iowa...

88 PS190
02-18-2006, 01:26 AM
your profile said louisiana.. funny cause i'm about to wander through the cold to downtown iowa city for the ex's birthday party... this is going to be a resounding failure. Wish me luck.

Farmer Ted
02-18-2006, 10:36 PM
your profile said louisiana.. funny cause i'm about to wander through the cold to downtown iowa city for the ex's birthday party... this is going to be a resounding failure. Wish me luck.

Yeah I live in LA but vacation in the feakin great white north!

Just up here visiting family.....

the temps were no where near zero when I booked the trip....