PDA

View Full Version : Now I've Done it

flipper
02-16-2006, 10:43 PM
Just bought my first house. Now I have to make the payments. Had to go through 5 loan brokers (one herd what I really thought), but got it done. :banana: Move in March 10, and may the work begin. The house is pretty new, but the back yard needs trees pulled. Wife and I can't wait to move in. Any advice?

LakePirate
02-16-2006, 10:46 PM
Hire a moving company....it is the best money you will ever spend

Edit* Congrats on the new crib.

André
02-16-2006, 10:47 PM
Home Depot is your new friend!
Congrats on the house!
Start one project at the time and finish it...completely!

Leroy
02-16-2006, 10:47 PM
Congrats and enjoy it and post some pix as soon as you can.

Can you store you boat at your house now? In the garage?

flipper
02-16-2006, 10:49 PM
I like your way of thinking! Sad thing is can't afford it now. :purplaugh

flipper
02-16-2006, 10:52 PM
http://www.interorealestate.com/Search/PropDetail.aspx?listingID=11-1-603877

Here they are, if it works.

LakePirate
02-16-2006, 10:53 PM
Seriously compare it to renting a truck, it is really not that much more

Get several bids, you can find someone who will do it pretty cheap.
Just make sure they have insurance.

They guys who moved me smoked dope the whole time but hey they got it done with no damage.

André
02-16-2006, 10:56 PM
Wow! 579 000 asking price? :eek: :eek:
Very expensive neiborhood... :cry:

flipper
02-16-2006, 10:57 PM
Seriously compare it to renting a truck, it is really not that much more

Get several bids, you can find someone who will do it pretty cheap.
Just make sure they have insurance.

They guys who moved me smoked dope the whole time but hey they got it done with no damage.
It's only about 5 min away from where we are renting and have a whol crew of people offering to help. BBQ time! :toast:

Leroy
02-16-2006, 10:58 PM
Nice kitchen and great location. I like that area of CA.

LakePirate
02-16-2006, 11:02 PM
It's only about 5 min away from where we are renting and have a whol crew of people offering to help. BBQ time! :toast:

Best of luck brother...buy beer...lots and lots of beer.

Mag_Red
02-16-2006, 11:06 PM

Here they are, if it works. :eek: I just don't get the home prices in California. Congrats on the new house though! :headbang:

flipper
02-16-2006, 11:10 PM
Wow! 579 000 asking price? :eek: :eek:
Very expensive neiborhood... :cry:
That's cheap! Sad to say, I was looking for a fixer upper in a nice neighborhood, but they were the same price or more. Hollister is the cheap part about 1 hour away from where I work. CA sucks sometimes.

jeverett
02-16-2006, 11:35 PM
:eek: I just don't get the home prices in California. Congrats on the new house though! :headbang:

The Definition of insanity: West Coast Realestate Prices!

I am visiting my family here in Irvine, CA this week, and I saw a dump for $1,000,000.00. Go figure.

Leroy
02-16-2006, 11:46 PM
I've almost moved there couple of times. I would say the housing prices are worth it. Obviously the market says so!

I hope I can live there sometime after the kids are gone and I'm still able to move.

1markman
02-16-2006, 11:49 PM
Flipper,

Are you living in Hollister right now? We have lived here for 8 years now. Welcome to the neighborhood. Also, if you have kids, we own the kids gymnastics and sports gym in town. Let me know and I can hook you up. Cool place for kids.

For all you that complain about the housing prices in Cali. I agree it is crazy, but that said, how else do you make 500k (granted it is only paper $ in equity) in 8 years doing nothing.....

Maristar210
02-16-2006, 11:56 PM
Just bought my first house. Now I have to make the payments. Had to go through 5 loan brokers (one herd what I really thought), but got it done. :banana: Move in March 10, and may the work begin. The house is pretty new, but the back yard needs trees pulled. Wife and I can't wait to move in. Any advice?

Ouch. For 550k around here you could get a waterfront place on the ski course. I understand though. My place with access was less than 3. I am not sure how you Cali guys do it? Props!!!!

Steve

Mag_Red
02-17-2006, 12:00 AM
Based on those crazy home prices let me ask a question..........does a guy at Home Depot make $100,000 a year in Ca??? I mean are the wages comparable to the home prices????

SteveO
02-17-2006, 12:05 AM
Based on those crazy home prices let me ask a question..........does a guy at Home Depot make $100,000 a year in Ca??? I mean are the wages comparable to the home prices????

I remind my wife of how cheap we have it in TX everytime we vist friends in SD and she tells me I should look for a job out their. I give you guys credit out west. That is a huge chunk of change.

LakePirate
02-17-2006, 12:10 AM
You can pick this up in one of the best neighborhoods in atlanta for what you paid. But, it is not in Cali. The infamous 2 "L"s of real estate.

east tx skier
02-17-2006, 12:43 AM
Congrats. Get the home warranty and never let it go.

Ryan
02-17-2006, 02:14 AM

Here they are, if it works.

Congrats!!! I've got to get out of Orange County. It's such a love hate thing for me here. I get to ski all year, run by all the palm trees... yet I want to puke when I see 2 bdr condos in Santa Ana going for $540k.

Advise: Unpack everything, fast. And, don't let the boxes of stuff take your boat's spot in the garage.

milkmania
02-17-2006, 09:25 AM

flipper, I've very happy for you, but I just don't understand those prices out there:(

here's a place local to me..... $450,000

this place is majestic...... it was built by a local doctor, and sits on the side of a hill overlooking the whole town!

Beautiful Historic Home listed on the National Register of Historical Homes, built in 1913. Located on hilltop above Poteau , on 5.5 acres. Restored 6 yrs. ago.

http://www.conniewiserealestate.com/listing001.htm

granted it's old, but it's very large;)

checkout listing #2 $400,000.00
Executive Home located on 13.16Tree dotted Beautiful Acres, Convenient location, Poteau School District. 4300 Sq. Ft. Living Space, 4 bedrooms and 4 1/2 baths Large Family Room, Formal Living Room and Dinning Room.

http://www.conniewiserealestate.com/listing002.htm

maristarman
02-17-2006, 10:02 AM
Congrats Flipper,

Buying your first home in the bay area is a huge event.

I've got family that lives a couple of miles from you.

They moved down there about 8 years ago and love it.

On to the important stuff....

Where do you normally ski?

RexDog1
02-17-2006, 11:03 AM
:headbang: Flipper Congrats

The housing market in California is out of control
I got lucky and bought a house 15 years ago

I am thinking about selling my company and moving to North Carolina
The Politics in California, And the Traffic, is just getting out of hand
Most people are very nice here, but is this the right place to raise two young kids?

:woohoo: Flipper dose the basketball hoop comes with the house? :woohoo:

Congrats :toast:

twieder
02-17-2006, 11:44 AM
Congrats on the new digs! I about fell outa my chair when i saw the price, but then I remembered what my cousin was payin 6 years ago at Berkley! $1800/ month for a 2 br one bath!Crazy?

M-Funf
02-17-2006, 12:03 PM
Congrats on the new digs! I about fell outa my chair when i saw the price, but then I remembered what my cousin was payin 6 years ago at Berkley! $1800/ month for a 2 br one bath!Crazy?

That's not too bad...I lived in Los Altos for about a year in a 400 sq.ft. granny unit (like a studio apt.). It was $1,400/month...but hey, the utilities were included :o

flipper, congrats on the home purchase! Best money ever invested!

Hemey5
02-17-2006, 12:22 PM
Make sure you break-in every square inch of the house as a celebration.

Ric
02-17-2006, 12:31 PM
what was the problem with the mortgagers that you went thru 4 of them??

Were you trying those internet types or a broker?

vegashomeexpert
02-17-2006, 12:55 PM
what was the problem with the mortgagers that you went thru 4 of them??

Were you trying those internet types or a broker?
Did you tell them you are a TMC member? That should have solved the problem right out of the box. Congrats on the house! Nothing better than home ownership. You are probably wondering now how you are going to make that payment. Don't forget all the tax advantages you now get. Enjoy!

bcampbe7
02-17-2006, 01:13 PM
You are probably wondering now how you are going to make that payment. Don't forget all the tax advantages you now get. Enjoy!

I know I would be... :eek:

I would imagine that you property taxes and insurance are much higher also.

Nonetheless, Congrats! :toast:

east tx skier
02-17-2006, 01:28 PM
I remind my wife of how cheap we have it in TX everytime we vist friends in SD and she tells me I should look for a job out their. I give you guys credit out west. That is a huge chunk of change.

Yeah, those prices in CA would make me cry. :cry:

My pile of bricks didn't cost anywhere close to that asking price.

jeverett
02-17-2006, 02:30 PM
Congrats!!! I've got to get out of Orange County. It's such a love hate thing for me here. I get to ski all year, run by all the palm trees... yet I want to puke when I see 2 bdr condos in Santa Ana going for $540k.

Advise: Unpack everything, fast. And, don't let the boxes of stuff take your boat's spot in the garage.

That's why the wife and I are up in Bend, OR we left the O.C. 5 years ago and haven't really looked back. Come and visit and I'll take you to some sweet ski lakes.

Ryan
02-17-2006, 02:41 PM
That's why the wife and I are up in Bend, OR we left the O.C. 5 years ago and haven't really looked back. Come and visit and I'll take you to some sweet ski lakes.

If you owned here, can you imagine if you had rented and now sold a place here?

Ron Grover
02-17-2006, 05:05 PM
Congrats on the house but boy oh boy I HAVE to stay in KS.

For that kind of dough I'd have a 4500 sq ft house on a private lake in KC.

Another idea is move to KC pay 100K for a nice house and take winter vacations to CA or FL to ski. We ski here from April to Oct, with suits on of course.

shepherd
02-17-2006, 06:57 PM
Congrats on the house. It may be expensive it should prove a great investment. Equity baby! Another thing - if you got a fixed rate mortgage, your "rent" really won't go up while (hopefully) your salary will, so it should get more affordable as the years go by. :)

flipper
02-17-2006, 08:49 PM
Yep, got the three year home warranty. I thought the same thing all of you guys did when I started realizing what you got for the money when you look in other states and see what you could get for the same price. At the same time I would make a lot less money, so the ratio would be about the same as far as dept to income.

One of them saw my MC hat, and said "Do you have a MC?" Of coarse the next question was can I come.

The taxes are 1.25% of the price per year, and insurance will be about $700. The payments do look scary, but the longer I wait the worse they get.

The brokers kept saying one thing and trying to do another. So once they figured out that I wasn't some dumb kid and had done my homework and was looking at many brokers, they all jumped and started doing what ever I wanted. I just took the best deal with a fixed rate.

Ryan
02-17-2006, 09:29 PM
... the longer I wait the worse they get.

Tell that to someone that's still waiting. :eek3: I wish I would have bought the day after I got married 5 1/2 years ago. Who knew this would happen?

RedStar
02-17-2006, 09:48 PM
$579k would have scored you a swanky double-wide and a decent yacht.

Larryp
02-17-2006, 09:55 PM

Edit* Congrats on the new crib.
Do you own a moving co. Last one I used took 68 of my 123 boxes, and several pieces of furniture. Go with pods or something like that. I found that my estimate was $2800 off too.

Larryp
02-17-2006, 09:58 PM
[QUOTE=milkmania]flipper, I've very happy for you, but I just don't understand those prices out there:(

here's a place local to me..... $450,000

this place is majestic...... it was built by a local doctor, and sits on the side of a hill overlooking the whole town!

http://www.conniewiserealestate.com/listing001.htm

granted it's old, but it's very large;)

checkout listing #2 $400,000.00

http://www.conniewiserealestate.com/listing002.htm[/QUOTE
Man I thought you could buy the governors mansion for that price in OK.

PendO
02-17-2006, 11:33 PM
Congrats on the house, home depot and lowes are now your friends ... and all the great junk mail ...

jeverett
02-19-2006, 11:34 AM
If you owned here, can you imagine if you had rented and now sold a place here?

We did own there and I thaught I was doing well when I made an incredible amount on the place. It did make me sick to my stomach when we came to visit a cuple of years later to find that we could have made even more. That being said I haven't done so bad on the realestate here in Bend.

6ballsisall
02-19-2006, 12:10 PM
Congrats Flipper! My FIL has a biz in Hollister, nice area! Those home prices out there sure are steep but if you can bite it off and hold onto it for a few years you should be able to make a good buck!

You're going to have Lowes and Home Depot on cruise control before you know it :D

LakePirate
02-21-2006, 11:28 AM
Do you own a moving co. Last one I used took 68 of my 123 boxes, and several pieces of furniture. Go with pods or something like that. I found that my estimate was $2800 off too.

I do not own a moving company, just move alot.

DO NOT GO WITH PODS!

I made that mistake as I was closing on my house and didn't have anywhere to move of yet. I packed them and felt pretty confident that they were well packed. One example was the bedding pod, there was not enough room in that thing to place a newspaper in when I was through packing. But, what you don't account for is that the pod itself moves when it is placed on a flatbed truck and rocked for over 100 miles. Also, they tilt them when picking them up with the fork lift. Your furniture will not survive there are deep scratches in my bed and I lost several knobs on the chest of drawers and armoire.

RedStar
02-21-2006, 01:04 PM
I do not own a moving company, just move alot.

DO NOT GO WITH PODS!

I made that mistake as I was closing on my house and didn't have anywhere to move of yet. I packed them and felt pretty confident that they were well packed. One example was the bedding pod, there was not enough room in that thing to place a newspaper in when I was through packing. But, what you don't account for is that the pod itself moves when it is placed on a flatbed truck and rocked for over 100 miles. Also, they tilt them when picking them up with the fork lift. Your furniture will not survive there are deep scratches in my bed and I lost several knobs on the chest of drawers and armoire.

You lost your knobs in a pod? That sounds like a line from a David Allen Coe song. :headbang:

LakePirate
02-21-2006, 01:07 PM
You lost your knobs in a pod? That sounds like a line from a David Allen Coe song. :headbang:

It would have had to have been her knobs that were lost in a pod for it to be a DAC song.

RedStar
02-21-2006, 01:15 PM
Rock on. I have seen some who must have had a similar moving mishap. :D