PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Have This Problem?

mrcrowson
02-16-2006, 11:46 AM
I am wondering what is causing this to happen to my steering wheel? Anyone else out there that is having this happen and if so what do you think is causing it to happen and how can ya make it black again.
:huh:

east tx skier
02-16-2006, 11:51 AM
Probably sweat, water, sun, sunblock, friction, and all the other things on your hands (or that act on the wheel) while you're driving. I've seen this happen in cars plenty of times. They make what are essentially paints to use on leather, and I had a friend use it on his truck's steering wheel. Results were so-so at best though.

You could also get a steering wheel cover, but it may not look too good either (although I've seen some leather covers that you sew on yourself look pretty good.

You could take it to an upholstery shop to have it recovered. Or just buy a new steering wheel. I'll bet that's not what you wanted to hear.

I may sound like a broken record, but hitting the wheel with 303 regularly might slow this down.

Question, you ever put armour all on it? That stuff can dry things out in a hurry.

vogelm1
02-16-2006, 11:57 AM
Yep...have an '05 197 and steering wheel looks just like yours. I haven't applied a thing to it. Figured it was just the sun fading out the leather. One trick I was going to try on it for the coming season was like East said - give it a shot of 303 protectant and see what happens. Hasn't gotten so bad that it really bugs me, otherwise I probably would have inquired at my local dealer. However, I've only put 60 hours on the boat, so one wouldn't expect the leather? to age so quickly.

LakePirate
02-16-2006, 12:05 PM
Did you hang a life vest on it at any time or maybe a towel?

I would imagine that a neoprene vest will transfer color to leather when wet and that might be it. I know that neoprene sure did turn my leg blue when I used to wear a knee brace while playing football.

mrcrowson
02-16-2006, 12:14 PM
I have tried 303, and the photo shows what it does for it. I do know we use waterproof sunscreen and thats about it. I also do not hang anything over the wheel YO Jim@BAWS what do you think?

It only has around 60 hours. Maybe it will go away after I hit 100 hours?

east tx skier
02-16-2006, 01:47 PM
I think it's a little soon for the color to get rubbed off the wheel if you want my personal opinion. That said, I was suggesting the 303 as a preventative thing for next time around as opposed to something that would make it look new again.

Not to say that it doesn't have that effect in some instances, i.e., tires, but I wasn't anticipating that being the case with a steering wheel.

Good luck.

east tx skier
02-16-2006, 01:50 PM
Here's my wheel. 13+ years old with no regular maintenance other than what's left on the rag after I wipe everything else down with 303 every so often.

Like I said before, I'd be bummed, too if it happened at 60 hours.

Leroy
02-16-2006, 01:53 PM
I've never seen it, have you tried any of the leather treatments, Lexol, and others? Assuming it is leather they restore my leather pretty well.

Looks like a pattern burned in also, any explanation from your side how that happens?

Ric
02-16-2006, 02:19 PM
Running home to look at my steering wheel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jkski
02-16-2006, 02:22 PM
I've got the same problem on my 05 PS197 and I am always putting 303 on my wheel. In addition, and YES I AM ANAL RETENTIVE... I always wipe my hands prior to touching the wheel (granted I am not the only one to drive the boat). Also, the wheel is always covered whenever we are just lounging around on the lake, I take a towel and drape it overthe windshield and onto the back of the drivers seat.
So... to make a long story short, a friend had the same issue on his X10 and the dealer is going to replace the wheel under warranty from what he said.

mrcrowson
02-16-2006, 02:26 PM
Wondering how long it will take my DEALER (Jim@BAWS) to see this?
JIM WHAT DO YOU THINK?

AirJunky
02-16-2006, 02:49 PM
I have a 98 Dodge Neon R/T that has the same problem. It's definitely a wearing off of the leather finish so it's not going to just clean off.
I ended up putting a cover on it. It looks pretty good but it may or may not be what your looking for on a new boat.
http://airjunky.com/neonrt/gauges1.jpg

But my 94 MC has a steering wheel with some sort of rubber on it. 600 & something hours & it still looks good.

mrcrowson
02-16-2006, 02:49 PM
Sorry Leroy I have no clue.. I am suprised that I am not able to clean it off.

I've never seen it, have you tried any of the leather treatments, Lexol, and others? Assuming it is leather they restore my leather pretty well.

Looks like a pattern burned in also, any explanation from your side how that happens?

88 PS190
02-16-2006, 03:45 PM
Time for a wooden steering wheel, something classy and stained, w/ stainless spokes.

mrcrowson
02-16-2006, 03:48 PM
Yea and I could use my wood burning kit to burn in some stars and stripes :uglyhamme

G-man
02-16-2006, 04:09 PM
Since sunscreen was mentioned I would like to point out sunscreen stains marine vinal and is not covered by the vinal manufacture as a warranty item in most cases. Use your 303 on a regular basis to help keep it looking good. You know 303 has a sunscreen in it maybe we should use it as sunscreen.

Ric
02-16-2006, 04:45 PM
Since sunscreen was mentioned I would like to point out sunscreen stains marine vinal and is not covered by the vinal manufacture as a warranty item in most cases. Use your 303 on a regular basis to help keep it looking good. You know 303 has a sunscreen in it maybe we should use it as sunscreen.
I will be applying 303 to my dome

east tx skier
02-16-2006, 04:49 PM
But my 94 MC has a steering wheel with some sort of rubber on it. 600 & something hours & it still looks good.

Bill, I thought they were leather? You sure it's rubber? I assume we have the same wheels.

mrcrowson
02-17-2006, 08:36 AM
I went home yesterday and wiped it down with some 303. What ever it is it will not clean off. I did hear from Jim and they are sending some pictures to MC to see if there is a bad batch. I am glad that I am not the only one here that has this problem with a brand new 197 or X7 and around 60 hours.
I will keep you posted and let you know what happens.

Thanks for the info.
Michael

((vogelm1 I would ask your dealer what he thinks))

mrcrowson
02-17-2006, 11:21 AM
I just got another email back saying a new steeing wheel is on it's way :dance: :steering: :worthy:

Thanks guys for all your help.

east tx skier
02-17-2006, 11:25 AM
How 'bout that service!

mrcrowson
02-17-2006, 11:32 AM
I'm Telling you.. He says it will be in next week.. BAM!!

vogelm1
02-17-2006, 01:13 PM
That's great! I may just have to do the same thing and see where it gets me. If MRCROWSON wouldn't have brought it up, I probably wouldn't have thought about it too much. One of those things....yeah, mine is like that too, (and it shouldn't be after only 4 months off the dealer showroom).

Todd Brosius
02-17-2006, 05:50 PM
So is the steering wheel leather or vinyl? That would be good to know so we put the proper cleaner/conditioners on the steering wheel. My dealer replaced my steering wheel on my '04 Prostar and so far have not noticed the new steering wheel fading. Knowing the correct material of the steering wheel is essential. Who knows for SURE!

mrcrowson
02-18-2006, 05:15 PM
Todd,
I got to really looking at my wheel and to me it looks to be a rubber material. I looked real close at mine and it looks like it has been molded on there. I could be wrong but that is the way it looks to me.

So is the steering wheel leather or vinyl? That would be good to know so we put the proper cleaner/conditioners on the steering wheel. My dealer replaced my steering wheel on my '04 Prostar and so far have not noticed the new steering wheel fading. Knowing the correct material of the steering wheel is essential. Who knows for SURE!

Todd Brosius
02-27-2006, 05:17 PM
Just wanted to bring this thread back to life. Any clue FOR SURE on what type of material the Mastercraft steering wheel is make of - rubber or leather? Would like to treat mine with the proper protection but I'm not sure what to use. Thanks for the help.

bucky
03-02-2006, 03:18 AM
Mine has the exact same thing on the wheel (which doesn't feel like any leather I've ever seen before). It's hardly noticible from the end of a towrope, though.:D