PDA

View Full Version : 1988 ProStar - HUH????

Danimal
02-16-2006, 09:22 AM
Sometimes people just don't know what they have....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1988-Mastercraft-prostar-190-GREAT-BOAT_W0QQitemZ4613079880QQcategoryZ63686QQrdZ1QQcm dZViewItem

pilot02
02-16-2006, 09:31 AM
I'm fairly certain I'd seen that boat at the MC dealership when I lived in Montgomery for a while. First closed bow tristar I'd actually seen in person. Doesn't look as good now.....

Upper Michigan Prostar190
02-16-2006, 09:40 AM
those MC logos look funky. Are those right??? they just look strange.....I dont know ....maybe its me....?? :confused:

Danimal
02-16-2006, 09:46 AM
those MC logos look funky. Are those right??? they just look strange.....I dont know ....maybe its me....?? :confused:

No they are not right and it's not even a ProStar... The decals don't look that bad. I like the original style, though.

Kevin 89MC
02-16-2006, 11:25 AM
Yeah, can't imagine MC sold too many TriStar Sport models. Gee, you get the limited seating like a ProStar, but without the ProStar performance, what exactly was the selling point of it anyways? Not a fan of his graphics either. IMHO, either stick to original graphics, or have some fun with custom ones, but stay away from a bad copy of the originals. Eh, what do I know? I've got some mish-mash of goofy graphics on mine! (from the previous owner)

Ryan
02-16-2006, 11:52 AM
what exactly was the selling point of it anyways?

In 88 those were so slick looking! The curved windshield, the cool integrated swim platform and a hull that was to take chop better. Seemed perfect to me....ok, so now all I see is the benefit of a curved slightly more modern windshield - for the model year.

LakePirate
02-16-2006, 11:52 AM
Being the proud owner of a Tristar with the closed bow, the original selling point for us was a used MC in our price range. Now, they are wider than the prostar so there is a little more room in them, but not much. I guess most people bought them for their smooth ride in choppy water.....:rolleyes:

Did he say that he painted the stripe?....wow.

Danimal
02-16-2006, 01:21 PM
I like my TriStar!! I have the only one on my lake and I get a ton of compliments from other inboard boat owners on her stylish looks. :D

Kevin 89MC
02-16-2006, 03:16 PM
Ugh! I can't seem to get my foot out of my mouth, it's in there pretty far! "POP" Ahh, that's better. Sorry if I offended anyone with my earlier post. After I typed that I thought, oops, that might piss off some TriStar Sport folks. I'm continually reminded how poorly humor goes over the internet.
What I really meant to say was, "while I'm sure they are great boats for some, it's probably not the best set up for me." Yeah, that's better. :D
Actually I think all the TriStars are pretty cool looking, someday I hope I see one in person. I'll go sit in the corner for a while . . .

Hoosier Bob
02-16-2006, 03:23 PM
I would guess a little more room and maybe much better in open water. I think the style of the boat is awesome, IMO. Lose the decals and enjoy. :D

Danimal
02-16-2006, 03:28 PM
Ugh! I can't seem to get my foot out of my mouth, it's in there pretty far! "POP" Ahh, that's better. Sorry if I offended anyone with my earlier post. After I typed that I thought, oops, that might piss off some TriStar Sport folks. I'm continually reminded how poorly humor goes over the internet.
What I really meant to say was, "while I'm sure they are great boats for some, it's probably not the best set up for me." Yeah, that's better. :D
Actually I think all the TriStars are pretty cool looking, someday I hope I see one in person. I'll go sit in the corner for a while . . .

HAHA I took no offense at all:D I actually read a touch of humor in your post. Come to wisconsin and I'll give you a pull in a tube behind the Red Headed MasterCraft Stepchild, also known as the TriStar 8p

Ryan
02-16-2006, 04:27 PM
Don't get me wrong, I still think it looks sweet on the water! Enough to where I almost bought an OB TriStar, but got a great price on my PS, and the TS was too long on a non-MC trailer to fit in my garage with the integrated platform.

I should ask before I assume.

The '89 Brochure touts it as roomy with wide 90" beam, great performance, ample storage, and a deeper V for more comfort cruising.
I've never been on one, am I correct in the heresay that it's improvement over a PS in rough water yet less flat in turns than a PS?

pilot02
02-16-2006, 04:48 PM
Ah, the pro's and con's (an opinions) are everywhere.....

A lot of people knock the ride but overall it's a good boat. He!! it's a Mastercraft....
No, it doesn't track as well as a prostar by any means and has a slightly wider but flatter softer wake (in my opinion). It was also known as a good barefoot boat in it's day with the closed bow 454 option.

I've honestly considered upgrading for some time to a either a prostar 205 or maybe even going closed bow but haven't and pretty much decided that unless some unbelievable deal comes along I won't. Once I added Accuski a few years ago the boat became a much better course boat and mine is used regularly for that purpose as well as to carry "boatloads" of my son's friends out wakeboarding.

Ryan
02-16-2006, 08:06 PM
Sometimes people just don't know what they have....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1988-Mastercraft-prostar-190-GREAT-BOAT_W0QQitemZ4613079880QQcategoryZ63686QQrdZ1QQcm dZViewItem

So, I sent this seller a message. "You mean TriStar, right?"
He says, "why do you think this is a tristar "
Felt like I was talking to Tptool again. I had a long answer but finally sent just this, "Well, it is...a TriStar 190" and pasted the link to the 88 brochure.

Hard to know if it's ignorance or what. I mean, he knows he has a Fly High brand extended pylon.

Danimal
02-16-2006, 11:46 PM
hehe I emailed him also and told him his description was wrong and never received a reply... I'm sure you and I were not the only ones. Your email must have been the one that broke the camels back and garnered a reply 8p

88 PS190
02-17-2006, 12:52 AM
you'd think if you had the boat you'd have its title... on which, ideally its listed as a 190 Tristar Sport...

I think its probably more that the tristar name didn't really stick around, and most people thinking about mastercrafts, or reading about them come out with the name prostar.

AirJunky
02-17-2006, 12:53 AM
I emailed him too & got this response, "i thought it was a prostar and copared to prostars it looks like it to me. it had prostar on the side of it before paint."

Then I sent him links to pics of both the Prostar & Tristar. Think he gets the picture yet? ;)

I looked at Tristars too. I don't recall the 19' version handling a lot different or handling chop any better. The only reason I ruled it out was the small area between the engine cover & rear seat. Because the swimstep is actually part of the hull, the rear of the interior is tiny.

Danimal
02-17-2006, 01:22 AM
I looked at Tristars too. I don't recall the 19' version handling a lot different or handling chop any better. The only reason I ruled it out was the small area between the engine cover & rear seat. Because the swimstep is actually part of the hull, the rear of the interior is tiny.

Personally... my TriStar beats the living hell out your kidneys in chop. But.. I do like how wide the beam is. You are correct about how close the rear seat is to the motor box but I can't really say that the late 80's ProStar is any better in that space. Am I wrong? I actually thought they were about the same.

88 PS190
02-17-2006, 01:33 AM
Personally our 88 Prostar does the same but probably worse, I try to avoid going out in big chop, but on our lake, there can be some serious swell, and sometimes you have to get across to have some fun.

AirJunky
02-17-2006, 01:57 AM
............. but I can't really say that the late 80's ProStar is any better in that space. Am I wrong? I actually thought they were about the same.
I ended up bumping up to the early 90s 205s because they have a bigger interior & handled the chop better than anything in the 80s. Put me in the $14k - $18k price range instead of the $10k - $13k.

87 TriStar 190
02-23-2006, 11:23 PM
This is a photo of the front of my single console TriStar 190. I bought it new and it's been a great boat. I get the new boat itch every year about this time, but this one does everything I need and we can take two families. Oh, and it's paid for. Has been for years. It's OK in medium water if there are not too many in the front. Put a few big people in the front and the bow gets pretty low. Waves will come over the front. I have no problems with tracking for slolom skiers. It does not handle quite like a ProStar. Pretty flat turning to the left, but will lean to the right. A four blade helps that. Put several people in the front and everyone is going to get wet if there's much of a breeze. The room between the motor box and rear seat is a little more in the 87 than 88. If there’s only three or four of us, we take the back seat out and there’s lots of room for “stuff”. It does run like a MasterCraft.

erkoehler
02-24-2006, 01:28 AM
This is a photo of the front of my single console TriStar 190. I bought it new and it's been a great boat. I get the new boat itch every year about this time, but this one does everything I need and we can take two families. Oh, and it's paid for. Has been for years. It's OK in medium water if there are not too many in the front. Put a few big people in the front and the bow gets pretty low. Waves will come over the front. I have no problems with tracking for slolom skiers. It does not handle quite like a ProStar. Pretty flat turning to the left, but will lean to the right. A four blade helps that. Put several people in the front and everyone is going to get wet if there's much of a breeze. The room between the motor box and rear seat is a little more in the 87 than 88. If there’s only three or four of us, we take the back seat out and there’s lots of room for “stuff”. It does run like a MasterCraft.

Interesting/rare setup you have there ;)