PDA

View Full Version : Does any body use trick skis anymore?

Upper Michigan Prostar190
02-15-2006, 12:06 PM
Does any body use trick skis anymore? I am thinking about picking a set up used. Just wondering if anyone skis on them for fun anymore? I remember using them when I was young. good times! :)

Kevin 89MC
02-15-2006, 12:18 PM
I might look for a used set myself. New ones are pricey! I ski with a guy who tricks a lot (and slaloms & foots as well). You don't get nearly as tired, and the falls hurt less than any other ski/board/foot falls. They're super easy to get up on, and fun to learn how to control. Surface 360's are easy, but haven't quite landed a 360 off the wake yet! Slalom trick skiing is a different matter. I can get up, and go in a straight line. Can't get the 180 or 360 yet, but it is fun to try. I'd definitely recommend them. It's another fun thing to do behind the boat, and not be winded/sore after 10 minutes.

Footin
02-15-2006, 12:20 PM
I bought a set last summer at a yard sale. Pretty nice O'briens and I got em for 10 bucks. Have yet to use them, I still might put them on ebay.

east tx skier
02-15-2006, 12:25 PM
We grabbed a pair of old Cypress Gardens Wood trickers two years ago on ebay for about $18. As little as we ride them, it was just the thing for us.

bradamerry
02-15-2006, 12:26 PM
Tricks are fun to ride. I rode Farmer's last year. They give your legs a good work out.

Kevin 89MC
02-15-2006, 12:38 PM
I bought a set last summer at a yard sale. Pretty nice O'briens and I got em for 10 bucks. Have yet to use them, I still might put them on ebay.
If you do, let me know. Or if you want to keep it in the MC community, let me & UMP bid for them! Seriously, I might be interested in them if you decide to sell.

BrianM
02-15-2006, 12:41 PM
I ride a slalom trick a bit. Usually just mess around when I have already done my passes through the course but still want to play around on the water. Good times. Lots of falls.

If you have never ridden a single trick give it a try. I usually try and ride around and cross wakes with one foot out. Do some jumps over the wake and practice 360s and 180s. that is about all I can do.

02-15-2006, 12:50 PM
If you do, let me know. Or if you want to keep it in the MC community, let me & UMP bid for them! Seriously, I might be interested in them if you decide to sell.

well, I just PM'd him asking to buy them about 15 minutes ago. :o

I dont want to get into a bidding war for them. I dont need any that bad, but I would like to pick a set up for a reasonable price.

Footin
02-15-2006, 12:55 PM
I just got your PM, I will let you two know if I want to sell them.

Kevin 89MC
02-15-2006, 01:04 PM
well, I just PM'd him asking to buy them about 15 minutes ago. :o

I dont want to get into a bidding war for them. I dont need any that bad, but I would like to pick a set up for a reasonable price.
Sorry about my 2nd post, I coulda said that a bit better!
Footin, if you decide to sell, and sell them here, UMP gets first dibs over me. UMP it was your thread that started this in the first place! If he passes, I'd be interested.

02-15-2006, 01:04 PM
COOL!! :toast:

Workin' 4 Toys
02-15-2006, 01:12 PM
From the first three posts in this thread it was looking like the WTB and WTS were on the same page......;)

88 PS190
02-15-2006, 01:13 PM
"Shortboard" Time to get with the new program eh.

LakePirate
02-15-2006, 01:13 PM
I have wanted to get a pair, but most of the ones I find are 300 bucks.

I need to go to more yard sales.

Cloaked
02-15-2006, 01:16 PM
I use a single trick.

ski_king
02-15-2006, 01:27 PM
I have a pair of Obriens and usually get them out once or twice a year.
Fun to watch the kids try them, then have the old man show them up.

Lots of fun and suprising on how much of a work out they give you.

02-15-2006, 01:31 PM
Sorry about my 2nd post, I coulda said that a bit better!
Footin, if you decide to sell, and sell them here, UMP gets first dibs over me. UMP it was your thread that started this in the first place! If he passes, I'd be interested.

Its all good Kevin!! :) Dont worry man. Its not like I am on a desparate quest for these. I would just like to have a set. If Footin decides to sell, he can let us both know and we will figure it out. You or I may find some other skis in the mean time. Looks like we gotta start combing the yard sales!!! :toast: If he does decide to sell, one of us can make a deal with him. No worries man!!!

UMP

ski_king
02-15-2006, 01:43 PM
There are a few pair on ebay now.
http://cgi.ebay.com/42-OBRIEN-GRAPHITE-TRICK-WATER-SKIS-SKI-NR_W0QQitemZ7218652870QQcategoryZ71175QQssPageName ZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?cgiurl=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.com%2Fws%2 F&fkr=1&from=R8&satitle=trick+ski&category0=

wakesport
02-15-2006, 05:34 PM
I have been looking for a pair for about a year. I did pick up a slalom trick ski for about $50. It is very fun to ski on. But for a pair that are in good shape the cheapest I have seen them go for is around $100. Some times people go crazy on ebay and they go for over $200. I sure would like to find a pair for $10.

wakesport
02-15-2006, 05:37 PM
Footin, are you going up to Crystal lake this year? I should be there for the 4th of July.

TonyB
02-15-2006, 07:01 PM
I have a Mastercraft™ single shortboard (trick ski) that get out several times a year. It's fun to take out on the big river when I know the water is going to be too rough free ski on slalom.

Watch for them on ebay.

TonyB
02-15-2006, 07:07 PM
I have been looking for a pair for about a year. I did pick up a slalom trick ski for about $50. It is very fun to ski on. But for a pair that are in good shape the cheapest I have seen them go for is around $100. Some times people go crazy on ebay and they go for over $200. I sure would like to find a pair for $10.

I'm looking for that elusive set of $200 jumpers. I know they exist because I once sold my pair 72" EPs for $200.

Just waiting on someone stoopider than me.

M-Funf
02-15-2006, 08:19 PM
I used to pull out the trick skis once the water got rough. I've done double trick and single trick, although I'm not very good at single trick. On doubles, I can do 180's and 360's, but not really smoothly.

I also used the trick skis to teach people how to get up on skis. It's harder to keep the tips up, but if the tip is above the water, the skier just pops up on top with little throttle.

Unfortunately, I left my tricks in the boat when I sold it...forgot they were there. Since it was just my cousin who bought it, I asked for them back, but he said his kids have been using them, so I let him keep 'em...

Footin
02-15-2006, 09:03 PM
Footin, are you going up to Crystal lake this year? I should be there for the 4th of July.

I don't think we will make it up this year...we'll see.

I actually got the trick skis at the trash and treasure sale at the assembly last year, along with some junior combo's for 5 bucks.

Not bad, two pairs of skis for 15 dollars..

02-15-2006, 09:26 PM
I don't think we will make it up this year...we'll see.

I actually got the trick skis at the trash and treasure sale at the assembly last year, along with some junior combo's for 5 bucks.

Not bad, two pairs of skis for 15 dollars..

Not bad....?? I would say EXCELLENT!!!!

What bums me out is my parents had a set of tricks(wooden) and the bindings finally rotted out. I dont know what ever became of the skis..... Havent seen them in 15 years and my parents cant remember what happend to them......... :(

I will just keep my eyes open for a set..... :)

ski_500
02-15-2006, 11:16 PM
I actually have three pair of tricks:
1 pair of Obrien's that are set up for left or right foot forward slalom.
Half of that pair went to Florida with my daughter after she was visiting for the Holidays.
1 pair of Jobes that I use the most as a pair. They are totally slick on the bottom. No grooves like the Obriens.
Then last summer I picked up a old pair of wood tricks. They are actually tapered on the ends and a bit more narrow than the others.
I rode them a couple of times then mounted them on the wall of the family room. :D

River Rat
02-15-2006, 11:23 PM
I have a pair that came with my brendella but i have never rode them i want to but i never done it before so i gues iv'e been to lazy to get em out and try......maybe this summer
:cool:

Leroy
02-15-2006, 11:26 PM
I just never see anyone on them?

ski_king
02-15-2006, 11:33 PM
Nice thing about trick sking is you can moon your observer while sking.

02-16-2006, 10:35 AM
Nice thing about trick sking is you can moon your observer while sking.

I make it my policy to NOT p*** off my boat driver.....because they always win. always. :)

LakePirate
02-16-2006, 03:30 PM
If you have a play it again sports in your area check there.

I went by the one in town today, no luck but they did have an Obrien LaPoint and an EP someting or other.

quincyfirefighter
02-16-2006, 09:15 PM
If you have a play it again sports in your area check there.

I went by the one in town today, no luck but they did have an Obrien LaPoint and an EP someting or other.
Good Call ;) I'm on my way!!

atlfootr
02-16-2006, 10:33 PM
Does any body use trick skis anymore? :)NOT IN THIS LIFETIME :firejump:

atlfootr - middleman

02-17-2006, 09:24 AM
Awesome pic!!! :toast: