PDA

View Full Version : Sold something on eBay

bcampbe7
02-15-2006, 10:34 AM
I sold something on eBay and the buyer is sending a MO (doesn't use PayPal). I have heard of people receiving fake CC, but what about MO's? I stated in the eBay listing that if the buyer were to send a MO or CC, I would send the item after the payment cleared my bank. Do I need to worry about this with a MO? It is my understanding that if someone in the US were to pay with a MO and it turned out that the MO was false, they would be charged with mail fraud.
Am I overreacting?

Workin' 4 Toys
02-15-2006, 10:41 AM
Call the place it was issued from. And make sure it is legit before you ship anything.

east tx skier
02-15-2006, 10:42 AM
I don't know the logistics of fraudulent payment systems in this instance, but I've done some ebay transactions as a seller with Postal M.O.s without trouble. I did, however, wait for the payment to clear the bank.

I may have just gotten lucky, but since I didn't know I was getting lucky, it was a stress free experience.

/prefers paypal and requires it for ebay auctions now.

lakes Rick
02-15-2006, 10:52 AM
I have bought ALOT of stuff off of Ebay( old car parts) and had very good success. One item was not as advertised, sent it back, and was refunded in full plus freight BOTH ways.. I only send personal checks, no problem waiting till it clears, and have had great luck on Ebay so far..

Workin' 4 Toys
02-15-2006, 11:00 AM
Don't forget, if you have issues, there is always the feedback score. Some take that very serious if you threaten negative scoring.
Take a look at the buyer history, that could tell you ALOT. If it is zero, you better wait until it clears. AND DON'T EMAIL.... Always contact through ebay.

Ryan
02-15-2006, 11:06 AM
If it's not USPS, hopefully you have a branch of the issuing bank close by. I'd go there with enough ID and get it cashed on the spot. If it's fraudulant, you're bank may charge you for running it - My bank DOES :mad: My bank also charges like $5.00 just to write me a MO.

AirJunky
02-15-2006, 11:18 AM
IF your going to insist on a MO, then insist on one issued by the USPS. I think thats what Ryan was saying too, and it will allow you to cash the MO at any post office. Allowing a MO from any old bank opens the door for fraud.

Coming from someone who has used Ebay a lot, I prefer Paypal. It's easy to tranfer the money to my US Bank acct., or you can get a debit card for the Paypal acct. & get the money from any cash machine. They assume all the liability for this kind of fraud. Plus it's easier to make payments electronically when you win an auction.

bcampbe7
02-15-2006, 11:35 AM
I do prefer PayPal, but the buyer does not use it.
The guy has 100% positive feedback on eBay. I feel pretty certain he is not out to scam me. I tend to overreact/over analyze in situations such as this.
If he does, I have his address, phone number and have Google Earthed his house. I will get the money out of him. :)

Maristar210
02-15-2006, 11:41 AM
I do prefer PayPal, but the buyer does not use it.
The guy has 100% positive feedback on eBay. I feel pretty certain he is not out to scam me. I tend to overreact/over analyze in situations such as this.
If he does, I have his address, phone number and have Google Earthed his house. I will get the money out of him. :)

I agree. I use e-bay a lot for selling and buying. If he has a number of positives I would think it was okay or if it is a USPS MO then it is okay. Usually the scammers do not create fake money orders for small items so I guess it depends on what you sold and how much it was worth? If you sold a high ticket item I would be very skeptical especially since most MO's are only valid for up to $500.

So tell us more and we'll tell you if it sounds okay or not.

Steve

bcampbe7
02-15-2006, 11:55 AM
I agree. I use e-bay a lot for selling and buying. If he has a number of positives I would think it was okay or if it is a USPS MO then it is okay. Usually the scammers do not create fake money orders for small items so I guess it depends on what you sold and how much it was worth? If you sold a high ticket item I would be very skeptical especially since most MO's are only valid for up to $500.

So tell us more and we'll tell you if it sounds okay or not.

Steve

Not a high priced item at all... $150
I would probably act the same whether it was $20 or $2000. :)

Maristar210
02-15-2006, 12:21 PM
I see. If his feedback is good I would not sweat it. I thought I was the only paranoid e-bayer. I have anxiety until the transaction is complete :D .

BTW I love your dog.

Steve

bcampbe7
02-15-2006, 01:05 PM
I see. If his feedback is good I would not sweat it. I thought I was the only paranoid e-bayer. I have anxiety until the transaction is complete :D .

BTW I love your dog.

Steve

No, your not the only one... :wavey:

Thanks, she's a great dog!