PDA

View Full Version : Hey! They took my ski!!

stevo137
09-16-2004, 07:13 PM
Over the weekend on Sunday my wife's nephew and his friend wanted to ski double. Only problem was that he is a good skier with a bad back and needed to kick one. The only one that I had in the boat that he could kick was my 25 year old EP that is in great condition and I have had it since I was about 16. Well some nice friendly fellow boater with a big IO that was throwing monster wakes must have thought that it blew out of someones boat and they didn't notice so he decided that he would grab it. (And it was close to shore) Fortunately a nice young lady that was on the shore saw them and described the boat and told me which they went. As we pulled up to the boat they gave it up with no problem saying that they thought that someone had lost it.
I don't like the idea of kicking a ski but if you must, make sure it is close to shore and not in the middle of the lake because a skier, tuber, or boat could hit it. (or try to steal it!)
IMO, I don't think that you should kick a ski anyway, regardless of conditions. Sometimes it's tough to keep your rules when you want everyone to have a good time.

Jeff N.
09-16-2004, 07:21 PM
We'd always drop ski's way close to shore to keep them out of the boat lanes. We also make sure the drop ski is a bright color so it's easy for both us and other boats to spot.

I would never use a good ski as a drop ski for the very situation that happened to you. Of course, I would still hate to loose my current drop ski - a late 60's vintage white wood ski with a "twin catamaran" hull complete with orginal gold stickers and a vinyl binding. All factory except we've removed the heel plate so it just slips off. Best drop I've ever owned - super light, falls off your foot like a slipper, easy to spot and - best of all - it rides soooo badly the skier wants to get rid of it right away! :D

Now let's talk about the time I left my Kidder Redline Graphite with double Wiley Pro highwraps on the swimstep of the boat and motored off...now that was a good find for someone! DOH!!

Jeff

ski_king
09-16-2004, 07:27 PM
My old drop ski had a sticker that read,

"If you see me floating
Please leave me be,
Barefoot Skier will be back for me"

Bought from an ad in the back of an old WaterSki Magazine.

We tried to drop near shor or near the dock, out of the way.

I also added Day Glow paint to the fin and tip, they can be tough to find sometimes.

tph
09-16-2004, 07:43 PM
Stevo137:

I still have my EP X-2 honeycomb ski too. It's in great shape and still skis well. I thought I was the only one with such a relic. I glad to hear that you got yours back.

stevo137
09-16-2004, 08:11 PM
Terry, mine is a comp 1 honeycomb. My brother in law and wife's nephews still use it. It is good training ski, easy to get up on but still cuts. I took a spin on it last season for old times sake, not bad!
And you footers are exempt. :worthy: You won't be on the lake when the idiots are out there anyway. I remember a guy ( here I go with an old story again) that used foot skis that were semi mounted on an old Cypress Gardens ski. When he was ready, he would start with one foot at a time and and then drop it. They were about 12" long with bindings. I don't think that I have ever seen anything like them again. He could trick on those things!

MasterCrafting
09-16-2004, 08:22 PM
I also have an x-2 as well as the comp 1...i've moved on to bigger and better things but i still like to ride the clasics too!

André
09-16-2004, 08:59 PM
" years ago in the early season,i decided to start sitting from the dock so i didn't had to get into cold water and used a combo ski as a second just to be sure i didn't fall.Right after getting up ,i dropped the ski about 30 feet from the dock.Coming back while swinging me at the dock,my girlfriend forgot about the ski and went ride over it with the prop(115 outboard at the time).About 3 feet of the ski was intact but the rest of it was in crumbs and the prop was gone.
Will never do that again... :eek:

stevo137
09-16-2004, 09:09 PM
Andre, you should try a jumping pier start, you won't need a second ski.
Just get a little slack and say "hit it" and then jump on the water. You still do RTP so no problem. Just make sure she doesn't do what my wife did two seasons ago. FULL THROTTLE! It yanked me over the ski and I pulled my hamstring, badly.
My fault, I didn't tell her half up.
MAKE SURE YOU TELL HER HALF UP!
You are already on the water, you don't need all that juice. :steering:

André
09-16-2004, 10:08 PM
Stevo
...Too late to tell her to ease up on the throttle,we already had a couples of "mistiming" the slack rope ,the holeshot and the jump in the water...Nice faceplants in the cold water in front of the neighbors.It's hard on the pride!LOL

stevo137
09-16-2004, 10:11 PM
:uglyhamme I hear ya, the timing is a little tricky. Damn thing about that cold water is the "shrinkage" :D