PDA

View Full Version : Perfect Pass/ cruse

78skier
02-15-2006, 02:11 AM
Hello to all the great ones

I have been thinking about puting a perfect pass system on my boat I have a 78 stars and strips. I know how they work but I don't know the best rute there is a wide varity to chose from $300 to $1400 pluss so what do you guys think. I don't know on this one and will they work without electronc trotal control. Thaks everyone Dave :wavey: :friday:

bigmac
02-15-2006, 10:01 AM
Hello to all the great ones

I have been thinking about puting a perfect pass system on my boat I have a 78 stars and strips. I know how they work but I don't know the best rute there is a wide varity to chose from $300 to $1400 pluss so what do you guys think. I don't know on this one and will they work without electronc trotal control. Thaks everyone Dave :wavey: :friday:

If you ski a course seriously, go all out and get the full Perfect Pass Digital Pro. If you ski a course every so often or are a recreational free-skier, then Perfect Pass Digital Pro is a waste of money IMHO. Likewise, Wakeboard Pro is a waste of money unless you actually (and seriously) wakeboard or some other low-speed water sport. I hydrofoil a lot behind my boat, and I use RPM mode instead of speed mode because he location of the paddlewheel speed sensor on my boat doesn't give as consistent a pull as RPM mode in some circumstances.

There's nothing wrong with PP Cruise if you're on a budget, or if you don't want to cut a 2 inch diameter hole in the hull bottom of your boat. Slalom mode on Perfect Pass (DP or WP) is just an RPM hold - same as Cruise.

east tx skier
02-15-2006, 11:07 AM
What follows is just one guy's opinion

I'd say if you have access to a course, and plan to ski it on ocassion, just go for digital pro. Odds are that you'll discover you really love it and want to do it a lot more.

On the other hand, if money is an object, but course skiing is a possibility go with PP plus, and upgrade with mag sensors if need be.

If you wakeboard, WB pro is the only option with a speed (paddle wheel) based control, which is more suitable for pulls under 24 mph or so (according to PP). I've never really had a lot of luck with speed mode, but I really haven't messed with it enough to be certain. WB Pro is identical to digital pro, but doesn't have the mag sensor. and hand timer.

When I bought my perfect pass two years ago, I went through this same process. I was just starting to mess with the course and the guys I was skiing with were very serious about it all. Without PP in my boat, I couldn't reciprocate pulls because they were training and needed consistency. So I dropped a few hundred extra bucks that I'm not missing two years later. I don't regret my purchase in the least even though I'm not in the course 24/7.

If all you're doing is recreational skiing, PP Cruise will be plenty.

The newest version 6.5 n or ng (new guage) will work with your boat. Just tell them you have a 78 MC with a 351 (presumably). 6.5 ng works great on my carbed 351 HO.

Kevin 89MC
02-15-2006, 12:05 PM
Just another proponent for Perfect Pass here, and agree with Bigmac and Eastie above. I put it in my '89 ProStar last year, and it made a huge difference in the consistency of the pull for me. The newer boats hold speed better than mine, but it's noticeable on those too. I realized that we were slowing my boat down almost 2 mph when cutting across the wake. I'd guess you could slow yours down even more due to the lighter weight.
I've never used cruise, so can't compare the differences. If it works like a car's cruise, and just holds the cable, it might not help much.
The master control module is the same between Digital Pro and Wakeboard Pro, so if you get into course skiing you can add the smart timer to the WP to get DP. I found a WP used and saved some cash - more than enough to get a timer to make mine DP.
Also makes it much easier on the driver - my wile loves it! :steering:
Good luck!

bigmac
02-15-2006, 12:41 PM
I've never used cruise, so can't compare the differences. If it works like a car's cruise, and just holds the cable, it might not help much.

Cruise is an RPM hold/resume. I don't know about the control module differences between Cruise and DP/WP, but slalom and jump mode on those two are just RPM hold too. Paddlewheel information to the module for controlling speed based on speed-through-the-water is only available up to about 24 mph.

AKAIK, the big difference between Cruise and DP/WP (other than actual speed information from the paddlewheel) is the ability to dial in a desired RPM rather than accelerating to that RPM and pushing "hold". IOW, Cruise works like cruise control on an automobile.

It is worth noting that installing WP or DP on an older boat requires cutting a 2" hole in the hull for the paddlewheel. Cruise does not.

Kevin 89MC
02-15-2006, 01:10 PM
Cruise is an RPM hold/resume. I don't know about the control module differences between Cruise and DP/WP, but slalom and jump mode on those two are just RPM hold too. Paddlewheel information to the module for controlling speed based on speed-through-the-water is only available up to about 24 mph.

AKAIK, the big difference between Cruise and DP/WP (other than actual speed information from the paddlewheel) is the ability to dial in a desired RPM rather than accelerating to that RPM and pushing "hold". IOW, Cruise works like cruise control on an automobile.

It is worth noting that installing WP or DP on an older boat requires cutting a 2" hole in the hull for the paddlewheel. Cruise does not.
Cool . . . then I could see cruise being perfect for the rec. skier. I think I'll start another post rather than TJ here . . .

east tx skier
02-15-2006, 01:20 PM

PP Plus does not require a paddle wheel. Add a timing sensor and you've got DP without the speedo.

I think the Basic Cruise still allows you, once you have set the desired rpm value by pushing the button at speed, to stop/idle, then go back up on the throttle until it reengages on its own. ICBW though.

bigmac
02-15-2006, 01:25 PM
PP Plus does not require a paddle wheel. Add a timing sensor and you've got DP without the speedo.

That makes sense, since all the ski modes are RPM-based.

bigmac
02-15-2006, 01:28 PM
Cool . . . then I could see cruise being perfect for the rec. skier. I think I'll start another post rather than TJ here . . .

Perhaps I should clarify...Cruise is the hold/resume component, whereas Digital Pro/Wakeboard Pro allow you to pre-set a speed. It does require that you calibrate the boat's speedometer to a given RPM.

east tx skier
02-15-2006, 01:38 PM
That makes sense, since all the ski modes are RPM-based.

But it retails for $950. So at that point, if you're going to buy the timing sensor, why not just look for a deal on DP.

It's all so expensive. I ebayed a bunch of stuff to pay for mine.

Kevin 89MC
02-15-2006, 01:52 PM
I just noticed that PP does not offer "Plus" anymore. I thought about getting that, but found the WP used for cheaper. Glad I got the Pro, but Plus may not have the minor issue in my other thread!

BrianM
02-15-2006, 02:15 PM
I just noticed that PP does not offer "Plus" anymore. I thought about getting that, but found the WP used for cheaper. Glad I got the Pro, but Plus may not have the minor issue in my other thread!

They still offer a plus system they are just calling it "Custom Digital" without the paddlewheel. www.skiertoskier.com (http://www.skiertoskier.com) has them for $950 Digital Pro which has the magnetic sensor and paddlewheel is $1200 Wakeboard Pro (no magnetic sensor) is $1020. Cruise is $639.

I would at least buy the Custom Digital so you can upgrade later if you want the paddle wheel or the magnetic sensor.

east tx skier
02-15-2006, 03:57 PM
I think that was the deal with the old "plus" systems. You couldn't upgrade the software on them anymore. Plus, the guage was different wasn't it?

Brian, does the new guage for the custom digital look the same as the dp guage, but just not have a paddle wheel connected to it? Is the software the same, but you just can't use WB pro and the timing features of DP?

If that's the case, I'd suggest going with the new "plus" system and upgrading later when you've saved up another $250.

78skier
02-16-2006, 12:33 AM
Thank you everyone I am most greatfull for your help. So because I wakeboard as will as ski should I go with the wakeboard pro. would that do both? I would love to kill two birds with one stone. and could someone tell me more about this hole I would need to but in the hull of my boat that part dose not exsite me. I'm shure I can do it. but would rather not if I don't need to.
Thanks again everyone.
Dave

bigmac
02-16-2006, 08:48 AM
Thank you everyone I am most greatfull for your help. So because I wakeboard as will as ski should I go with the wakeboard pro. would that do both? I would love to kill two birds with one stone. and could someone tell me more about this hole I would need to but in the hull of my boat that part dose not exsite me. I'm shure I can do it. but would rather not if I don't need to.
Thanks again everyone.
Dave

Yeh, if you wakeboard or other low-speed watersports, I'd get Wakeboard Pro. Assuming a proper location for the paddlewheel, it will hold your speed VERY constant in Wakeboard mode and will provide you with a very accurate digital speedometer.

I haven't done it, but apparently putting in the paddlewheel is not that big a deal. Find a good location close to centerline, far enough back to not get turbulence, and readily accessible from the engine compartment, get a a 2-inch hole saw and some silicone, and do it. Perfect Pass's instructions for installing the paddlewheel located here. (http://www.perfectpass.com/download/usersmanuals/InstallationInstructions.2006.pdf)

BrianM
02-16-2006, 09:12 AM
Brian, does the new guage for the custom digital look the same as the dp guage, but just not have a paddle wheel connected to it? Is the software the same, but you just can't use WB pro and the timing features of DP?

If that's the case, I'd suggest going with the new "plus" system and upgrading later when you've saved up another $250.

The guage looks the same and I believe the software is the same. Just doesn't have the paddle wheel or smart timer. The only difference between WB Pro and Digital Pro is the smart timer. If you are not skiing a course with magnets you don't need the smart timer and they will perform the same.

Thanks again everyone.
Dave

Definately go with the Wakeboard Pro if you wakeboard much. You will want the paddlewheel. Also if you start running bouys and want the smart timer it is easily added and then you have a Digital Pro.

Drilling the hole in the boat is easy. I have done two of them. Measure three times cut once. On the direct drives the paddlewheel usually goes about 6 inches right or left of the drain plug.

ilikeitglacy
02-16-2006, 09:34 AM
Drilling the hole in the boat is easy. I have done two of them. Measure three times cut once. On the direct drives the paddlewheel usually goes about 6 inches right or left of the drain plug.[/QUOTE]

ya man you go drill that boat!!!!!!!!!! :eek3:

east tx skier
02-16-2006, 11:14 AM
I haven't done it, but I paid someone to do it. :)

From all I've read here, run the hole saw backwards.

Kevin 89MC
02-16-2006, 11:37 AM
I agree, get Wakeboard Pro. I did, and later upgraded to Digital Pro by just buying the "smart timer" and doing a master reset.

Cutting the hole was no big deal. I found a special hole saw for cutting ceramic, fiberglass, plastic, etc. at Home Depot that worked great. Instead of teeth it has some abrasive adhered to the rim. I was surprised how thick the hull was - almost an inch IIRC. I mounted mine port side about 8-12" from center, pretty much across from the drain plug. I drilled a small pilot hole from inside, then drilled from underneath with the hole saw, mainly to eliminate the dust in the bilge. If you do this, make sure to not get too close to a trailer support with the pilot hole - I came pretty close! Good luck, you'll love the pull. Best thing I've done to my boat.

east tx skier
02-16-2006, 11:47 AM
I don't know if it makes huge difference, but FWIW, my MC dealer installed paddle wheel is to the starboard and just a bit aft of the drainplug by approx 6". Your goals are (1) always in the water and (2) least turbulent flow of water. So starboard and a little further back makes sense to me because you'll always have a driver weighting that side down and a little further back could be more likely to always have contact with the water, but I think it's safe to say that even with the drain plug is plenty far back.

Just another guy's thoughts on the subject.

78skier
02-18-2006, 04:11 AM
I agree, get Wakeboard Pro. I did, and later upgraded to Digital Pro by just buying the "smart timer" and doing a master reset.

Cutting the hole was no big deal. I found a special hole saw for cutting ceramic, fiberglass, plastic, etc. at Home Depot that worked great. Instead of teeth it has some abrasive adhered to the rim. I was surprised how thick the hull was - almost an inch IIRC. I mounted mine port side about 8-12" from center, pretty much across from the drain plug. I drilled a small pilot hole from inside, then drilled from underneath with the hole saw, mainly to eliminate the dust in the bilge. If you do this, make sure to not get too close to a trailer support with the pilot hole - I came pretty close! Good luck, you'll love the pull. Best thing I've done to my boat.
hey thanks guys great help. I am the owner of a flooring company so I have some diamend bit whole saw that I can use. These whole saws start a $100 so should I buy some cheeper ones these might gum up what do all you smart ones think. However it will put a hole where I need it. I will get the wakeboard pro and add to it because I like to wakeboard with my friends but skiing is my love.

Kevin 89MC
02-20-2006, 03:34 PM
The one I got at Home Depot was like $5 I think. It didn't look like it got worn down or gummed up at all. Not sure how a diamond bit would cut through fiberglass - it may mess it up.
Good luck.