PDA

View Full Version : Build a Funnel ...

atlfootr
02-14-2006, 12:45 PM
I found this article re: Build a Funnel, written by Todd Ristorcelli.
It was in the Online section of WSM 05 / 20 / 2005.
Sounds like a great idea, think I'll give it a try!

Thanks, Todd.

Build a Funnel ...

With the rising cost of gasoline and to be environmentally friendly, make sure you get every ounce of petro in your boat and not in the lake. We made this homemade funnel for 23 bones after a visit to Home Depot.

The Ultimate Funnel
Materials Needed: one 4" schedule 40 PVC cap; one 2-foot piece of 4" schedule 40 PVC pipe; one 4" to 2" schedule 40 PVC reducer; one 2" to " pipe-thread bushing; one " pipe thread to " hose barb coupling; one 3' or longer piece of " hose; one " stainless-steel clamp; one " by 2" lag bolt; one 1" by 5" eye bolt; seven washers and one can of PVC glue.

The Do-It-Yourself Instructions
1. Cut slot in PVC cap to slide over lag bolt once mounted on dock. The cap will keep bugs and water out of your funnel.
2. Cut a 1 1/2"-by-1 1/2" square hole into the outer side of the 2-foot piece of PVC pipe. This will allow the top of the funnel to hold your hose and give you a place to rest the lip of your can while pouring.
3. Using PVC glue, attach the 4" to 2" PVC reducer to the 4" pipe.
4. Next, glue the 2" to " pipe thread bushing to the reducer.
5. Screw in the pipe thread to hose barb coupling.
6. Attach hose to hose barb. The hose must be long enough to reach the boat. In some cases, you might need 3 feet of hose and in other cases you could need 10 feet of hose. Be sure you can put the hose through the eye bolt that is going to hold the bottom of the funnel to the dock.
7. Secure hose to hose barb using stainless-steel clamp.
8. Attach the top of the PVC pipe to the wood post using the lag bolt. Remember that the top of the funnel should be at waist level for easy pouring and the bottom of the funnel should be slightly higher than the boat.
9. Use the 1"-by-5" eye bolt at the bottom of the PVC pipe to hold the hose and the bottom of the funnel in place.

jayocheskey
02-14-2006, 02:25 PM
.....or you could just not spill gas in the lake by not overfilling.

east tx skier
02-14-2006, 02:51 PM
I went and bought all the materials to do this (about $35). I then went to Walley World to pick up some beer and saw something similar to this (http://www2.northerntool.com/product-1/36990.htm) for $19. I bought one and returned all the stuff to Lowes. Works like a charm although it does leave a little on the bottom, which is not a big deal to pour in. But it's no mess for sure.

The lesson is that you'll save some time in the long run if you go to pick up beer first.

Rockman
02-14-2006, 02:54 PM
I built one last spring and it attaches to our lift.

It works ok but better and faster to use 5 gallon containers and a super syphon.

east tx skier
02-14-2006, 03:01 PM
Happy B-day, Rockman!

Ric
02-14-2006, 03:05 PM
I built one last spring and it attaches to our lift.

It works ok but better and faster to use 5 gallon containers and a super syphon.
Cool, are there no issues with PVC pipe and gasoline cans (static)? :shocked:

oh and happy bday rockman

bucky
02-14-2006, 03:08 PM
I use one of these with my tractor. Pumping 6 gallons takes about 4 or 5 minutes and gives quite a workout. But it doesn't spill a drop, and compared to the new ventless fuel containers, it's not that slow.
I went and bought all the materials to do this (about $35). I then went to Walley World to pick up some beer and saw something similar to this (http://www2.northerntool.com/product-1/36990.htm) for $19. I bought one and returned all the stuff to Lowes. Works like a charm although it does leave a little on the bottom, which is not a big deal to pour in. But it's no mess for sure.

The lesson is that you'll save some time in the long run if you go to pick up beer first.

east tx skier
02-14-2006, 03:20 PM
The one I have is no workout. We use it when the boat is on the lift. Put the gas can on a chair and drop the boat down a foot or so below the bottom of the can. Hook up the pump and squeeze the handle about 5 times to get the flow started. After that, gravity takes care of everything else.

Mag_Red
02-14-2006, 04:19 PM
Here's what I do.....................pull up to this thing called the "fuel dock" and this nice young girl puts gas in the boat and hardly spills a drop! :D

pq2
02-14-2006, 04:46 PM
pics or it never happend!!!

east tx skier
02-14-2006, 04:48 PM
Here's what I do.....................pull up to this thing called the "fuel dock" and this nice young girl puts gas in the boat and hardly spills a drop! :D

And if she did, that marina gas is mostly water anyway. :eek: So no harm, no foul.

BriEOD
02-14-2006, 05:47 PM
Dude, I thought this was going to be a beer bong thread! :mad:

Ric
02-14-2006, 05:48 PM
Dude, I thought this was going to be a beer bong thread! :mad:
could be a dock mounted beer bong :cool:

JohnnyB
02-14-2006, 07:28 PM
Beer bong is the first thing that came to my mind...... :friday:

Mag_Red
02-14-2006, 07:44 PM
And if she did, that marina gas is mostly water anyway. :eek: So no harm, no foul.Well, beings I :rant: didn't get the MCX I ordered, it really doesn't matter. :D Seriously though, if I did keep my boat on a lift, I would probably resort to 5 g cans.

88 PS190
02-14-2006, 07:46 PM
How much you pay for that dock gas, and after tipping the nice young lass?

Oh and... worst beer bong i have ever taken.. don't recommend it.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c138/pb_hawkeye/collegehumor.jpg

Workin' 4 Toys
02-14-2006, 09:24 PM
Here's what I do.....................pull up to this thing called the "fuel dock" and this nice young girl puts gas in the boat and hardly spills a drop! :DWe take this approach when possible.....

Leroy
02-14-2006, 10:26 PM
This must be at the engineering fraternity :)

How much you pay for that dock gas, and after tipping the nice young lass?

Oh and... worst beer bong i have ever taken.. don't recommend it.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c138/pb_hawkeye/collegehumor.jpg

88 PS190
02-14-2006, 11:29 PM
lol, just an engineer's house. i don't think i'd want him designing anything though.

he needs to design a baffel to lower the fluid pressure at the valves, also he wanted to build it so he could take it apart and move it, but instead of designing segments w/ threaded pieces he just left parts unglued, so sometimes a drunk person will give it a tug, and a few gallons of beer launch out.

it'll make your eyes water. Note, Iowa girls will get on beer bong, but also shut it off right away. translation instead of going to 8 seperate people nearly equally 3 or 4 finish it off. Much like chugging a gallon of milk, just its probably going to be PBR or Keystone.. be prepared.

erkoehler
02-15-2006, 12:36 AM

Isn't marina gas EXTREMEMLY more expensive down there as well?????

Mag_Red
02-15-2006, 12:41 AM
Isn't marina gas EXTREMEMLY more expensive down there as well?????yeah, but I hardly go through a tank in a week-end. The boat gets pulled and put in a near by storage facility when I go home.

Workin' 4 Toys
02-15-2006, 10:17 AM
Isn't marina gas EXTREMEMLY more expensive down there as well?????
Define extreme.....

88 PS190
02-15-2006, 10:35 AM
this summer i was getting premium at a boat dock for 4$/gallon, plus tipping the full service girl on top.

is that extreme? (note gas at the pump was 2.44)

Mag_Red
02-15-2006, 10:38 AM
this summer i was getting premium at a boat dock for 4$/gallon, plus tipping the full service girl on top.

is that extreme? (note gas at the pump was 2.44) but on the other hand would it be worth it to you to have to pull the boat on a trailer, drive down the road, gas it up, re launch the boat, etc, etc, yada, yada, yada????? It wouldn't to me :twocents:

Workin' 4 Toys
02-15-2006, 10:44 AM
I think the marina was about $0.30 a gallon higher. I don't really want to "gas can" 30 gallons of fuel around.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
02-15-2006, 11:05 AM
here is what I do, go to the gas station before I put the boat in the water, fill it with gas, done. dont spill a drop. :dance:

Workin' 4 Toys
02-15-2006, 12:08 PM
here is what I do, go to the gas station before I put the boat in the water, fill it with gas, done. dont spill a drop. :dance:

Heck of an idea, I used to do the same thing. This year I am hoping mine is only on the trailer twice. once in spring for the initial dunk, and once in fall for winterization/storage. So I am looking at these contraptions as options as well. I hate when any fuel goes in the water. Although, it doesn't seem to bother the marinas much..:(

88 PS190
02-15-2006, 12:17 PM
15 min. boat ride to the marina for gas. 2 boats, on lifts. extra cash for gas times probably 30 gal a weekend.

Or throw the cans in the back of the truck, go to the bp, drag them home etc.

If we were trailering all the time I would worry, but as is, our boats get pulled in the fall, launched in the spring, and the trailers sit for the rest of the year. They get maybe 10 miles a year each.