View Full Version : New Mastercraft Boat

flyinryn
02-14-2006, 12:19 AM
Found this link on the wakeworld site.

Any truth to this.

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/284538.html?1139873941

Ryan
02-14-2006, 01:46 AM
Funny, someone on here was in a focus group that involved the concepts for a MC center console boat. So that lends a lot of credibility to this story for me. The initial poster on the other site is vague in a few areas...like where he got his info. I guess we'll know on Thursday huh?

Ryan
02-14-2006, 01:51 AM
The MC X Trek (2002 design) hinted at a center console design.

There was also a serious rumor going around that the 195 was coming back for '06 with a refresh as a mate for the X1 in the bargain area and a replacement for the 19Skier...look where that went.

X-45
02-14-2006, 06:28 AM
I sure hope they don't make my X-45 a fishing boat.

:noface:

kdr
02-14-2006, 08:20 AM
I have seen the center console in person. Looks like any other center console on the market, but that could be just because I couldn't care less about fishing boats.

André
02-14-2006, 08:26 AM
I have seen the center console in person. Looks like any other center console on the market, but that could be just because I couldn't care less about fishing boats.
You mean wich center console boat?The prototype pictured or the new MC fishing boat?
/Having trouble believing in a MC fishing boat... :rolleyes:

erkoehler
02-14-2006, 08:26 AM
Interesting.....never thought I would awake to that news!

bigmac
02-14-2006, 08:29 AM
I laughed pretty hard at one of the posters' proposed name for the new MasterCraft center console fishing boat........."Master Baiter"

skisix@38
02-14-2006, 08:48 AM

There was also a serious rumor going around that the 195 was coming back for '06 with a refresh as a mate for the X1 in the bargain area and a replacement for the 19Skier...look where that went.

That picture was in a popular mechanics article about two years back as a concept. They may have even built one.

kdr
02-14-2006, 09:14 AM
You mean wich center console boat?The prototype pictured or the new MC fishing boat?

The center console fishing boat. I wasn't going to say anything, but since the post on wake world is out there, why not.

ski_king
02-14-2006, 09:15 AM
It will be interesting to see if there is truth to this rumor.

I remember CC had both a inboard fish boat and a outboard bass boat in its history. Both had a short life.

MYMC
02-14-2006, 09:17 AM
Check out the Miami Boat show...the boat will be there in person...it is no rumor.

SteveO
02-14-2006, 09:23 AM
Check out the Miami Boat show...the boat will be there in person...it is no rumor.

Maybe we can get some outriggers and attach them to the end of the wakeboard line. Fishing :eek: Kinda scares me as a direction for the company. I guess it is no different than Porsche entering the SUV market???

skitilldark
02-14-2006, 09:46 AM
You guys seen the PRICES they are getting for saltwater based center console boats? Looks like MC is trying to "fish" where the money is to me.

Andyg
02-14-2006, 09:47 AM
Here is a direct quote from miamiboatshow.com (http://www.miamiboatshow.com/attendees/features/new.asp)

MasterCraft will introduce the Cross Sport Extreme (CSX), a center-console water-sport boat for adventurous and active-minded outdoor enthusiasts. For more information, visit www.mastercraft.com (http://www.mastercraft.com./).

Stritt
02-14-2006, 09:55 AM
My hats off to MasterCraft for this bold move.....I see no problem entering into another segment of the market. Now MasterCraft show me a salt-water worthy boat that can handle the rigors of the ocean, give us the performance and quality of the MasterCraft heritage. I would LOVE to see a REAL deep V hull design with importance placed on Comfort and ride.....do that and the Cobalt will be gone! ;)

MYMC
02-14-2006, 09:59 AM
While the purists among us may bemoan the addition of the Cayenne to Porsche's line up the fact remains that it added to the profitability of the world most profitable car company which has paved the way for cars like the Cayman that would otherwise not be possible. The Cayenne has served as a "test bed" and has absorbed development costs for the upcoming Panamerica as well as the current 997 and Cayman. The economic advantage of placing development cost on "high" production vehicles makes good financial sense even if there is some "watering down" of the pedigree.

The question is where does this leave MasterCraft? Is there some tech advantage to the salt water market or are they spreading development costs? Perhaps, but unfortunately I do not possess the intellectual foresight to see it. To me this is simple economics...MasterCraft BOAT Company sees a chance to grow...and if you are not growing you are dying. As with Porsche as long as the core product remains at the top of its class then these economic exercises do nothing other than to broaden an economic base that in all honesty is very narrow.

It may not be the direction that you (or I) agree with but you have to applaud those in charge for not sitting on their proverbial hands and doing nothing.

Lastly (and maybe most importantly), it would seem by most forums and chat boards that this topic will provide some much needed relief for the Vice President and his hunting skills… :rolleyes:

bigmac
02-14-2006, 10:05 AM
My hats off to MasterCraft for this bold move.....I see no problem entering into another segment of the market. Now MasterCraft show me a salt-water worthy boat that can handle the rigors of the ocean, give us the performance and quality of the MasterCraft heritage. I would LOVE to see a REAL deep V hull design with importance placed on Comfort and ride.....do that and the Cobalt will be gone! ;)

I agree...very cool. Smart move by MasterCraft to broaden their market.

twieder
02-14-2006, 10:06 AM
I would tend to believe this move is strictly a profit move.The ski boat industry has quite a few players as does sport fishing. Like MYMC said, Mastercraft is a boat company and if there's money to be made, why not?What better way to get your name spread around then by entering another market! jmo.

ilikeitglacy
02-14-2006, 10:17 AM
I laughed pretty hard at one of the posters' proposed name for the new MasterCraft center console fishing boat........."Master Baiter"
tought it was hilarious too!! :purplaugh

east tx skier
02-14-2006, 10:49 AM

That was the best one!

I look at it two ways. MC makes more money by broadening their market and can still rationalize producing their ski boat line. That's good. Or, MC broadens their market and spends less time on their ski boat line. That's not good. Only time will tell.

Charlie don't surf. I don't fish.

MSOUCY-TT
02-14-2006, 10:52 AM
Mastercraft decided to go in the SALT WATER SERIES since there is more then 80 % of the population of the USA living within a hour drive from the sea... I am looking forward to see the number relating with that crossover market. Something like: what is the percentage of families having a boat and using it within an hour drive of a lake or the sea and are dreaming of a boat that can handle the father's fishing habits and the kids wakebaording needs ?
I still believe that a company needs to expend is production if you want to grow and get stronger. Working on your "market share" is good, but extend the possibilities in the same segment work also really good for others before.
P.s. By the way, the answer is also over 80%...!!!

Ryan
02-14-2006, 10:53 AM

I didn't suspect that pic was going to be the boat. Just that they've done stretch-designs...if they'd sport their name on that concept boat, why not go fishing. If it makes purists feel any better Rob Shirley was designing fishing boats for a while after he left MC.

At the Newport Beach boat show last year I looked at salt water fishing boats. They make an X Star look like a steel of a deal. A 24' Whaler center console can run you near $100k.

SteveO
02-14-2006, 10:57 AM
While the purists among us may bemoan the addition of the Cayenne to Porsche's line up the fact remains that it added to the profitability of the world most profitable car company which has paved the way for cars like the Cayman that would otherwise not be possible. The Cayenne has served as a "test bed" and has absorbed development costs for the upcoming Panamerica as well as the current 997 and Cayman. The economic advantage of placing development cost on "high" production vehicles makes good financial sense even if there is some "watering down" of the pedigree..:

An English Major MYMC? Agree that increased profitability will overall strenghten the brand....and give the board something new to potificate about. :D

Ryan
02-14-2006, 11:02 AM
I think we skiers and wakeboarders on the board get along well enough...I guess now we'll be chattin' with fisherman too. Anyone know when Donzi got into center consoles?

They sure did a good job of keeping this under wraps! I'm dying to see those pics. Who lives in Miami?

X-45
02-14-2006, 11:03 AM
Who is going to start the first "Where's the best place to fish thread"

:toast:

east tx skier
02-14-2006, 11:04 AM
While the purists among us may bemoan the addition of the Cayenne to Porsche's line up the fact remains that it added to the profitability of the world most profitable car company which has paved the way for cars like the Cayman that would otherwise not be possible. The Cayenne has served as a "test bed" and has absorbed development costs for the upcoming Panamerica as well as the current 997 and Cayman. The economic advantage of placing development cost on "high" production vehicles makes good financial sense even if there is some "watering down" of the pedigree.

The question is where does this leave MasterCraft? Is there some tech advantage to the salt water market or are they spreading development costs? Perhaps, but unfortunately I do not possess the intellectual foresight to see it. To me this is simple economics...MasterCraft BOAT Company sees a chance to grow...and if you are not growing you are dying. As with Porsche as long as the core product remains at the top of its class then these economic exercises do nothing other than to broaden an economic base that in all honesty is very narrow.

It may not be the direction that you (or I) agree with but you have to applaud those in charge for not sitting on their proverbial hands and doing nothing.

Lastly (and maybe most importantly), it would seem by most forums and chat boards that this topic will provide some much needed relief for the Vice President and his hunting skills… :rolleyes:

I just realized that my last post is a watered down, poorly worded version of your post. I guess my fear is that at the next local boat show, there'll be the "Master Baiter" and there still won't be a 197. So that's all well and good for MC, but as a skier, not a stockholder, I've got to go where the action is.

As for the VP, I've got to imagine that had I been on the receiving end of that shot, I'd be plenty ticked off. I won't be defending him today or hunting with him tomorrow.

MYMC
02-14-2006, 11:27 AM
An English Major MYMC? Agree that increased profitability will overall strenghten the brand....and give the board something new to potificate about
Grandma was an English teacher; however, it was Sister Hermanguild (you can’t make up a name like that) and her ruler across my knuckles that really drove the point home!

BTW…it’s strengthen and pontificate…sorry but I had to. :D

Ric
02-14-2006, 11:38 AM
ahhh "World Record Fishing Boats"

I want the HPDI mercury on mine ;)

reminiscent of the FishNautique

Ric
02-14-2006, 11:42 AM
This 35" Trout was caught in a 94 Prostar 190, EFI, Powerslot, Perfect Pass 6.4, Slalom Switch.

Ryan
02-14-2006, 12:01 PM
This 35" Trout was caught in a 94 Prostar 190, EFI, Powerslot, Perfect Pass 6.4, Slalom Switch.

So, they're making a Wake/Salt Fishing cross-over boat. Now all they need is an attachment to put a casting seat on your pylon, add a trolling motor to the bow, and they'll have the 197 Fish 'n Ski.

I mock it, but the Salt Fish boat makes a lot of sense. I'm sure a ton of those fisherman have kids begging to wakeboard. I see people wakeboarding behind center consoles quite often, so the market's totally there.

ski36short
02-14-2006, 12:08 PM
Great, now we can go out for sets in our MC ski/wakeboard boats and possibly have the water torn up by MC jet skis AND fishing boats!

Ryan, didn't Donzi get into center consoles around 1990? I remember thinking that the F18s and F23s were pretty sweet. Still not as nice as the Fountains though...

Maristar210
02-14-2006, 12:26 PM

Nice Post MYMC.
What you say is true about the Cayenne. It is a reach for Porsche purists but a profiable segement, as I understand it, for Porsche.

FWIW: There are those around that alter their opinion of you if you do not own a ski boat. I own a Maristar and would love to go fishing on an MC fishing boat until dawn then offer WB pulls on mine 'til dark. I have skiers tell me aw that's a v-drive like they can't believe I bought it, so there are circles that already exist even inside MC currently. This will just add another ring to the tree trunk and I'm cool with that.

Steve

TMCNo1
02-14-2006, 12:27 PM
Rob Shirley went to the Cayman Islands and designed and built DIVE boats after his departure from MC.

Ryan
02-14-2006, 12:38 PM
Rob Shirley went to the Cayman Islands and designed and built DIVE boats after is departure from MC.

My mistake. I just saw pics of them and thought they were for fishing.

TMCNo1
02-14-2006, 12:59 PM

A partial picture of the actual concept MC X TREK that was built is in the Fall 2002 issue of the TMC Star Mag and there was also a full picture of the same concept boat in a 2002 issue of Waterski mag.

Ric
02-14-2006, 01:02 PM
somebody can search it but there is an inboard bayfishing boat that looks damn nice... Shamrock is the brand
Hmm, Digital pro AND a trolling motor?..... hmmmmmmmmm

André
02-14-2006, 01:10 PM
LOL!
What was your KX setting?

X-45
02-15-2006, 07:11 AM
When do you think the web site will show pictures of this new boat with options.

bradamerry
02-15-2006, 09:35 AM
I think we skiers and wakeboarders on the board get along well enough...I guess now we'll be chattin' with fisherman too. Anyone know when Donzi got into center consoles?

They sure did a good job of keeping this under wraps! I'm dying to see those pics. Who lives in Miami?
This could be my dream boat. Mastercraft fishing boat. :banana:

Ryan
02-15-2006, 10:43 AM
This could be my dream boat. Mastercraft fishing boat. :banana:
If they follow CC's color options this year of Camouflage...then it would be perfect for ya.

Next year I hear it comes with the option to convert the center console to a Duck Blind.

ski_king
02-15-2006, 11:04 AM
Hopefully TMC will post a news release on here tomorrow with pictures.

Please?

bradamerry
02-15-2006, 11:10 AM
If they follow CC's color options this year of Camouflage...then it would be perfect for ya.

Next year I hear it comes with the option to convert the center console to a Duck Blind.
Will a dog ladder be an option??? :rolleyes:

P-hat_in_Cincy
02-15-2006, 02:28 PM
Look at bottom of page for pictures.

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/284538.html?1140031085

Mag_Red
02-15-2006, 02:31 PM
Look at bottom of page for pictures!

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/284538.html?1140031085Interesting

SteveO
02-15-2006, 02:32 PM
Looks like a direct drive X2?

SteveO
02-15-2006, 02:32 PM
And another

twieder
02-15-2006, 02:33 PM
This will save time :rolleyes:

twieder
02-15-2006, 02:33 PM
and den.....

SteveO
02-15-2006, 02:34 PM
Will a dog ladder be an option??? :rolleyes:

Brad you were the first guy I thought of when I saw you valentines pics

twieder
02-15-2006, 02:34 PM
ok I guess steveo is quicker than me! :mad:

BrianM
02-15-2006, 02:35 PM
Does that hardtop double as the tower? Looks like there is a swivel attachment on the back of it for a rope. Also looks like a direct drive to me. A Pickel Fork DD. Interesting.

Don't know how I feel about the whole thing. Maybe if the company was still owned by Coleman, but...

Ryan
02-15-2006, 02:47 PM
I am way more impressed than my expectations were set for.

Nice, new color, mellow graphics...Maybe they'll call that mellow yellow in "Design -A-Boat". Glad to see they kept the 'look' and didn't go for the narrow beam, deep-V design.

It's a perfect step up for those folks in Florida with Tri-Star 190/220's with the half windshield...It too had the lower step-through transom.

P-hat_in_Cincy
02-15-2006, 02:56 PM
I think this is a MasterCraft "work around" for some of these private lakes that are putting "wake enhancement bans" on boats. "But officer, it's a livewell! LOOK!" :D

Stritt
02-15-2006, 03:08 PM
I am really curious to hear how this boat will handle off-shore. I have never driven a pickle fork MasterCraft, I remember seeing X-Stars take on water from their own wake. I am un-sure about the x2 design and the x-80 is just alot bigger so I would doubt nose diving issues would be a concern due to length and therefore a higher nose angle. I am guessing this is 22' due to a name mentioned of CSX 220. It just seems to me that a 22' boat with a directdrive configuration would push the nose down......I know with our 23' boat there are times running out the inlet I need to trim the boat up to lift the nose due to the wave length (distance between waves). I like the look...Love the snap out carpet, like the seating arrangement. All in all, I like it. Just would have to test drive one in the real environment first.

bradamerry
02-15-2006, 03:18 PM
Brad you were the first guy I thought of when I saw you valentines pics
Where does the trolling motor mount???

MYMC
02-15-2006, 03:34 PM
Boy if I was a MasterCraft dealer and the first pictures I had ever seen of this new model I'm supposed to sell in the 2007 model year were from some web site and not from the manufacture I'd be pi$$ed!

Wait a minute... :eek:

east tx skier
02-15-2006, 03:40 PM
Will they be carrying over the "live well" from the ski locker design of the 92--95 ProStar 205?

/couldn't resist.

Ric
02-15-2006, 03:41 PM
Boy if I was a MasterCraft dealer and the first pictures I had ever seen of this new model I'm supposed to sell in the 2007 model year were from some web site and not from the manufacture I'd be pi$$ed!

Now THAT is funny! :mad:

djhuff
02-15-2006, 03:51 PM
Yep, that's the boat I saw on the tour last month. Wouldn't let me take any pictures though.

I asked my dealer about it and the answers I got led me to believe they had little to no knowledge of this boat.

SteveO
02-15-2006, 04:02 PM

Gotta love the internet... Probably a photo from someones camera phone on the floor of the show during exhibitor install times

kdr
02-15-2006, 04:14 PM
edit******

MYMC
02-15-2006, 05:27 PM
Gotta love the internet
I don't have to this isn't Russia (Ty Webb)

Ric
02-15-2006, 05:37 PM
I don't have to this isn't Russia (Ty Webb)
could it be that current MC dealers wont be carrying this boat? Maybe all these will be thru some huge distributorship type of company like marinemax or something?

Maristar210
02-15-2006, 07:21 PM
I hope it is real. I love a Boston Whaler since I owned one but it was limited. If this is a true MC I would think it might be the pefect boat. Especially if they got rid of those damn fully carpeted floors abd replaced them with a self draining cockpit. OOOOOhhh I can't wait...

:banana:

Steve

Ski 6 @ 33 off while trolling a big pike bait??????????????

Footin
02-15-2006, 08:09 PM
Hey Mike, when these come out will Mastercraft of Charlotte sell rods and reels too?

ski36short
02-15-2006, 08:18 PM
OK so it looks better than I anticipated too. There's probably a market for this kind of thing where I grew up on the shores of the Detroit River/Lake Erie or other large bodies of water.

bradamerry
02-15-2006, 09:13 PM
trolling motor and rod holders, please......

3event
02-15-2006, 09:24 PM
As SteveO noted, the biggest news to me looks like direct drive on the new hull design ! Doesnt that have lots of crossover possibilities ?? Why in the world wouldnt MC consider a ski boat variant? Depending on how it shakes out performance wise that could be a big move.

At any rate, it is a VERY nice looking rig for catchin' some fish. Tastefully done.

Leroy
02-15-2006, 09:34 PM
Duck camo, gun rack, doggie ladder, rod holders, live wells, fish cleaning sink.........

Seriously any work MC does to make a boat and trailer that can survive in salt water will help all of the other boats and trailers.

The marketing strategy seems odd. Maybe it just hasn't happened, but it's being shown?

Leroy
02-15-2006, 09:35 PM
GUess it has a heated seat...looks like the seat is built into the engine cover!

Ric
02-15-2006, 11:35 PM
a gratuitous booty shot, I know, but here is the shamrock 220 (http://www.shamrockboats.com/content.php?section=products&model=220R) (it's a direct drive)

quincyfirefighter
02-15-2006, 11:56 PM
I have to say that I'm surprise how good that boat looks. :cool: My good buddy is in to tournament fishing and I know that he would be interested in a MasterCraft boat if they all look and perform like a MC

MYMC
02-16-2006, 09:15 AM
Hey Mike, when these come out will Mastercraft of Charlotte sell rods and reels too?
Be sure to check out www.mymastercraft.com over the next few months leading up to the release (or should I say tag and release) of this new model. Keeping with our mission statement we will only carry the tops brands and with Penn Salt water reels starting around $480 you can only guess what a fully equipped boat will run.

Hey...this could be good. Saltwater boats and fishing are so expensive that overnight wakeboarding, skiing and footing are going to look like a bargain! I knew there was a marketing strategy in there somewhere. :dance:

MYMC
02-16-2006, 12:52 PM
Official photos from the press release:

More info at www.mastercraft.com/csx or more images at the main site (www.mastercraft.com).

X-45
02-16-2006, 12:59 PM

I like it but I got some questions. Is that a bike on the tower rack and is that a light or a place to put the ski rope on top. also What's it going to cost?

:banana:

X-45
02-16-2006, 01:05 PM

More info at www.mastercraft.com/csx or more images at the main site (www.mastercraft.com).

Your link doesn't work to http://mymastercraft.com/

or http://mastercraft.com/

MYMC
02-16-2006, 01:31 PM
The racks are made by Yakima for MasterCraft and will hold "bikes, wakeboards, skis, fishing gear and even a kayak".

Your link doesn't work to http://mymastercraft.com/
works for me...

Ric
02-16-2006, 02:43 PM
The racks are made by Yakima for MasterCraft and will hold "bikes, wakeboards, skis, fishing gear and even a kayak".

works for me...
I too, cannot access that pdf attachment from your post Mike

MYMC
02-16-2006, 02:53 PM
Sorry, not sure what the problem is...it is working for me and others.

Ric
02-16-2006, 02:54 PM
Sorry, not sure what the problem is...it is working for me and others.
oh well, so when will the first masterfish be on the floor in charlotte?

MYMC
02-16-2006, 03:06 PM
As soon as I can get my hands on one...I think I can make the "canyon run" for tuna out of NJ in this thing...anyone want to go with me?

Try this (hope it works):

Datdude
02-16-2006, 03:10 PM
As soon as I can get my hands on one...I think I can make the "canyon run" for tuna out of NJ in this thing...anyone want to go with me?

Try this (hope it works):

I'll go with you! That looks like an interesting boat!!!

P-hat_in_Cincy
02-16-2006, 06:29 PM
I'm curious about the "low profile inboard drivetrain..."

I have to admit... I was not comfortable with the thought of this addition, but I admire the willingness to push the envelope and be innovative.

I'm sure this boat is just what some MC owners have been waiting for.

Since I don't have Fuel TV, I guess I'll get to see a MasterCraft on Saturday morning ESPN fishing shows now! Who will be the first sponsored by MC?!?

André
02-16-2006, 06:42 PM
...and 2 days ago i was sure that this was a joke. :(

Ryan
02-16-2006, 07:22 PM

That's it! I thought the engine was a little far forward to use the standard MC DD set up. It's probably like the pocket drives on a lot of day cruisers (Cruisers Yachts - one example). With cut-outs in the rear running surface and bottom of the transom the angle of the drive shaft decreases giving a shallower draft.

Ric
02-16-2006, 07:24 PM

I have to admit... I was not comfortable with the thought of this addition, but I admire the willingness to push the envelope and be innovative.

I'm sure this boat is just what some MC owners have been waiting for.

Since I don't have Fuel TV, I guess I'll get to see a MasterCraft on Saturday morning ESPN fishing shows now! Who will be the first sponsored by MC?!?

my brother took a look and said MC can send him one to use for the redfish cup :steering:

P-hat_in_Cincy
02-16-2006, 09:06 PM
Hey all,

I found this link on WakeWorld. It's got a write up with some pictures.
It says the boat is a concept at this point (hull not finalized). Anyway, if you want to read/see more check it out.

There is also some info on the rumor of "is this the last year of the X1/205V hull?"

http://www.wakeboardreport.com/

ski_king
02-16-2006, 09:42 PM
I am not sure on the concept of this boat and will reserve comment on it for now.

But I do have to say that the graphics and color scheme look great!