PDA

View Full Version : Prepping for hurricane season...

BriEOD
02-13-2006, 08:44 PM
Well, another hurricane season is soon to be on us. Since I have relocated to Tampa I want to get some equipment to make my wife's life a little easier (I'll be gone for most of the season). After speaking with some close friends I want to purchase a 6500-10 Kw portable generator that I can feed my home's panel with in case of a power outage. It will not run the air handler but, by cycling other things I can basically use everything to include the hot water heater. I'm going to install an external 220 plug to feed the breaker. Second, I would like to get a window unit A/C system to put in the room we/they will all be sleeping in to make life a little more bearable.

I figure NOW is the time to get ready. Not the week before it hits. Does anyone have any good feedback? BrianM I KNOW you have to have some feedback.

Cloaked
02-13-2006, 08:50 PM
Well, another hurricane season is soon to be on us. Since I have relocated to Tampa I want to get some equipment to make my wife's life a little easier (I'll be gone for most of the season). After speaking with some close friends I want to purchase a 6500-10 Kw portable generator that I can feed my home's panel with in case of a power outage. It will not run the air handler but, by cycling other things I can basically use everything to include the hot water heater. I'm going to install an external 220 plug to feed the breaker. Second, I would like to get a window unit A/C system to put in the room we/they will all be sleeping in to make life a little more bearable.

I figure NOW is the time to get ready. Not the week before it hits. Does anyone have any good feedback? BrianM I KNOW you have to have some feedback.Which catagory of storm and what extent of destruction do you refer for these preparation suggestions?

BriEOD
02-13-2006, 08:57 PM
Basically a low grade storm (tropical storm, cat 1, maybe a 2) or when we have to return home after a bigger storm.

Workin' 4 Toys
02-13-2006, 09:11 PM
Wouldn't you prefer to have it transfer power automatically with a transfer switch?

BrianM
02-13-2006, 09:12 PM
If you are going to spend the money for a 6500 - 10kw portable generator I would seriously consider having a backup power system installed that runs off of natural gas instead. Probably cost you about $5k but will run everything in the house until the end of time. After this last storm I bought a very nice heavy duty 5000w generator and a small window AC unit and have a plug to be able to feed the panel. The generator is nice but after I spent a little over $2k on it and the other misc things I really wish I would have ponied up for the backup power. Around here we lose power with mild tropical storms sometimes for a day or two and it would be nice to be able to run the whole house.

Just make sure you know where all of your important stuff is and have a plan. If it is forecast to be anything more than a Category 1 and headed in your direction leave and do it early so you beat the traffic. Have the generator or backup power ready for when you come back to no power.

I am a hurricane zone transplant and have only been doing this for going on 6 seasons now. I used to think I would stay but after this one (we left early) and seeing the destruction first hand I plan on leaving early and hopefully just enjoying a little mini vacation.

mrcrowson
02-13-2006, 09:42 PM
How about them Shutters? I FREAKED out one storm season and bought enough 3/4" plywood to cover all of my windows. I looked into getting the Alum shutters, but it would have been close to the end of the season before they would have been installed; I chose not to go with them at that time. I feel what I have now will do fine, if not just as well as Alum shutters. If you need any help with cutting or installing shutters give me a call. I think looking into getting a window unit is a good idea, is your new place in a Deed Restricted neighborhood? If so I would look into the Regs and see if it says anything about window units, I Live in a community that will not allow them so people choose to go with the mobile ac units. so it can be moved from room to room, they run around the same in cost, and much easer to hook up.

I am a Florida Native and have been through many seasons. I wish more people would plan for the season as you are. There would be less panic.

Stay safe.

AC Unit (Example) (http://www.brandsonsale.com/sup-wa1010h.html)

GENERATOR (http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=6970&productId=200036724&R=200036724)

BriEOD
02-13-2006, 09:45 PM
Thanks Michael. We're still playing the real estate game I told you about. I'm just trying to get my ducks in a row before we get moved in. I'll check the covenance when we finally do get in somewhere. This transition stuff is killing me!

erkoehler
02-13-2006, 09:47 PM
Lake house in GA to flee to!

mrcrowson
02-13-2006, 09:50 PM
Hey Thats not a bad Idea..

Just offering up my help if you need anything. :D

MC

BriEOD
02-13-2006, 09:52 PM
Hey Thats not a bad Idea..

Just offering up my help if you need anything. :D

MC
You going skiing tomorrow morning? :purplaugh

mrcrowson
02-13-2006, 09:56 PM
Man I wish,,, :uglyhamme

So far my plans are still looking good for Saturday morning. Let me know if you would like to go. :steering:

Workin' 4 Toys
02-14-2006, 12:30 AM
You could get yourself a nice little 300KW Caterpillar Genset and you could even sell juice back to a few neighbors in an outage.....;) be the "coolest" one around... and still use the indoor pool....:D

Leroy
02-14-2006, 12:37 AM
My cousin near VA beach has automatic generator back-up and has used it several times. Not sure of any details, but she likes it.

AirJunky
02-14-2006, 02:30 AM
If you are going to spend the money for a 6500 - 10kw portable generator I would seriously consider having a backup power system installed that runs off of natural gas instead.
Do you always have natural gas after these big storms? I guess since the problem is above ground, chances are pretty good you will.

BrianM
02-14-2006, 09:20 AM
Gas service is generally not affected since all lines are underground. The electrical grid has lots of above ground transmission lines even if they are underground in your particular neighborhood. Now if you have catastrofic flooding like in New Orleans all bets are off since lines can fill with water.

bigmac
02-14-2006, 09:47 AM
Gas service is generally not affected since all lines are underground. The electrical grid has lots of above ground transmission lines even if they are underground in your particular neighborhood. Now if you have catastrofic flooding like in New Orleans all bets are off since lines can fill with water.

Many of the generators such as this one (http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay2?storeId=6970&productId=419355&R=419355) are tri-fuel, and will run on gasoline, natural gas or LP. In a widespread power outage, gasoline may not be available, and I suppose natural gas might be affected too. At least with LP, you could pretty safely store a cylinder for backup if neither of the other two fuel sources were available.

Leroy
02-14-2006, 11:08 AM
BriEOD; Talk to the neighbors and people at your local home depot!

BriEOD
02-14-2006, 06:42 PM
BriEOD; Talk to the neighbors and people at your local home depot!
Yeah, I have. Whatever generator I buy will have to be delivered. As fast as Home Depot/Lowes/Sears gets them they are gone.

mrcrowson
02-14-2006, 06:56 PM
Brian
Incase you didn't know. Check with our local Northern Tool store on Hillsborough Rd. near Dale Marby.

Yeah, I have. Whatever generator I buy will have to be delivered. As fast as Home Depot/Lowes/Sears gets them they are gone.

BriEOD
02-14-2006, 07:03 PM
Thanks MC I'll check them out.