PDA

View Full Version : Tire Ware

starman205
09-16-2004, 05:00 PM
Just noticed that the inside half of one of my trailer tires is worn bald. the outside half is fine. Does any one knoew what might have caused this and what the fix is. I have owned my prostar205 for 4 years and this is the first time I have noticed uneven tread wear.

John B
09-16-2004, 05:08 PM
Tandem trailer?
The tires on the front axel on mine do that.
I just make sure to keep them rotated.

east tx skier
09-16-2004, 05:14 PM
Alignment could be off.

G-man
09-16-2004, 05:43 PM
Is it a tandem axle that does a lot of tight turns to get into a storage space?

John B
09-16-2004, 05:49 PM
Yes ,I do one tight turn twice a day, day in and day out :D

Bert
09-16-2004, 06:37 PM
Your trailer needs a wheel alignment. They do this by bending the axle. The boat needs to be on the trailer when this is done to get the camber correct for the weight.

tph
09-16-2004, 07:57 PM
Before you get an alignment...I found the same problem on my right tire (single axle) at the beginning of this season. I talked to a tire guy and he said you need to replace most trailer tires every so often (3-5 years) even if they still have tread. They break down just sitting around. I replaced both tires and everything seems to be fine.

timandjesi
09-16-2004, 10:49 PM
Where would you go to get a trailer alignment? I think I would look really silly pulling into the local Sears Auto service center asking for a "4 wheel alignment" :smile:

Bert
09-16-2004, 11:24 PM
Where would you go to get a trailer alignment? I think I would look really silly pulling into the local Sears Auto service center asking for a "4 wheel alignment" :smile:

Any shop that does alignments on large trucks such as tractor trailer units usually does alignments on trailers as well. Sears wouldn't be of any help. The trailer manufacturer does it when they assemble the trailer. I had about 50 thousand miles on my last set on my tandem axle and all four wore evenly. That was over a thirteen year period. If one tire is worn excessively compared to the rest there is a problem.