PDA

View Full Version : Belize

BrianM
02-13-2006, 05:38 PM
Just booked a trip to Belize in April. Ambergris Caye. Wife and I plan on doing lots of diving. Anyone been? Any tips?

M-Funf
02-13-2006, 06:16 PM
I was there in '98, the week prior to "Mitch" passing through.

We stayed in Belize City for one night at a B&B, then drove out to Chaa Creek lodge near Belmopan. From there, we took day trips to Tikal and Xunantunich.

We then went out to Ambergris, but were only there for a couple of days. My ex didn't dive, so she got pretty bored. The only tip I can give you is have fun! The food we had was awesome!, and the people were really nice. It's a bit "touristy" in Ambergris, but I'm sure you'll love it...

After a few days there, we drove down the Hummingbird Highway to Dangriga (yuck!) and eventually Placencia, where we spent about 5 more days. We also spent two days out at Laughing Bird Caye, which is about an hour by boat from Kitty's Place in Placencia. They had a small house out there complete with a cook and maid. A guide took us out there for snorkeling, fishing, and not much else.

When we drove back up to Belize City, we stayed at the same B&B for our last night, but they were busy boarding up the windows waiting for Mitch :eek:

We also visited the Zoo in Belize City on our last day there. It was pretty nice.

We arrived at the airport the next morning. There were tons of people sitting around who had just flown in waiting for the next flight back out...

Have fun!!!

BrianM
02-13-2006, 06:24 PM
I know all about hurricanes. Booked it purposely a good month before the start of hurricane season June 1.

We both dive so we wil spend most of our waking hours on the boat or underwater. Did the same thing 5 years ago in Cozumel and had a great time.

BriEOD
02-13-2006, 07:12 PM
Heard it was awesome.

vegashomeexpert
02-13-2006, 09:47 PM
Dropped in for the day on a cruise last summer. Took a cave tubing/zip line tour. It was fun. Got some good hot sauce called "Beware!" Drank lots of "Belikan" beer, the official beer of Belize.

erkoehler
02-13-2006, 09:50 PM
Have fun, and take alot of pictures.....enjoy the diving I hear it is amazing.

mitch
02-14-2006, 07:56 AM
We also stopped there on a cruise, and off a small island about 1/2 cruise off the coast. Pretty nice!