PDA

View Full Version : Expensive ski course!

bcampbe7
02-13-2006, 01:16 PM
Our club received a letter from TVA stating that in order yo have our course this year we were going to have to jump through a few hoops and pay them some money. :eek:
Getting a hold of the guy in charge of marine activities at TWRA is like trying to get in touch with President Bush! I have left 2 voicemails with him and 1 with his secretarty as well as sent an email to him and have yet to get a response.

This sucks!

Part of the letter:

east tx skier
02-13-2006, 01:25 PM
Yikes! Hope Texas doesn't know about ours. General consensus with building anything on our lake (including docks) is if you ask, they're going to have to find the paperwork. They don't like having to do this, so they feel like they should charge you for it.

Our course comes up when not in use, so we don't tend to worry about these things.

X-45
02-13-2006, 01:30 PM
I don't know how TVA will police a course. Plus I bet TWRA doesn't care. TVA will give them $0 out of the money you pay. Kind of like the coast guard sticker they enacted a while back. Coast Guard wanted money but would not pay anybody to enforce it. Lasted about two or three years.

:noface: :steering:

TonyB
02-13-2006, 01:52 PM
The way I see it, is that I have just as much right to put out a few bouys as the fisherman on the other bank who operates a "trotline".

milkmania
02-13-2006, 01:58 PM
The way I see it, is that I have just as much right to put out a few bouys as the fisherman on the other bank who operates a "trotline".

just put a couple trotline hooks on the ropes, and your identification on the buoys... we could get away with it in Oklahoma:purplaugh

Leroy
02-13-2006, 02:01 PM
They must have had some complaints or issues with a ski course. I think you are doing the right thing trying to talk with them to understand the reason for this change. Maybe you can get in via grandfather clause or that you operate a proper ski course.

For TVA $1300 per course is nothing, for most ski clubs, that is some money.

bcampbe7
02-13-2006, 03:22 PM
I don't know how TVA will police a course. Plus I bet TWRA doesn't care. TVA will give them $0 out of the money you pay. Kind of like the coast guard sticker they enacted a while back. Coast Guard wanted money but would not pay anybody to enforce it. Lasted about two or three years.

:noface: :steering:

I believe you are right...

I just got an email from the guy at TWRA. He feels that if TVA is going to charge us to have a course, they do not need a letter from TWRA. He also felt that if TWRA was the authority figure in this, TVA should not charge a fee.
He went on to say that he will be in meetings later this week and will bring this up to the Chief of Boating for advisement. :cool:

shepherd
02-13-2006, 03:59 PM
Geez, if we have to pay the govt every time we want them to do something for us (like do a little paperwork), what the he!! do we pay taxes for?

Are TVA and TWRA federal agencies? If so, have everyone in your club (and anyone else you can talk into it) write a letter to your local congressman. Working for a federal agency myself, I know that Congressional inquiries get taken very seriously... You might not get the action you want, but you might and you'll definitely get their attention!

shepherd
02-13-2006, 04:05 PM

Be careful there. Don't know about your state, but in Florida it is illegal to interfere with a fisherman's "right" to catch fish. So if you see a guy bass fishing in your lake and your state has such a law, don't go skiing around him and scaring away the fish or you might get busted :cool:

We should have a law like that for waterskiiers, making it illegal to interfere with a skiier's right to have glassy water -- you must slow down to no-wake speed when passing a ski course that is being used... :steering:

End threadjack...

bcampbe7
02-13-2006, 04:38 PM
Geez, if we have to pay the govt every time we want them to do something for us (like do a little paperwork), what the he!! do we pay taxes for?

Are TVA and TWRA federal agencies? If so, have everyone in your club (and anyone else you can talk into it) write a letter to your local congressman. Working for a federal agency myself, I know that Congressional inquiries get taken very seriously... You might not get the action you want, but you might and you'll definitely get their attention!

I believe they are both State agencies, although TVA does spread throughout a few Southeastern States.

TonyB
02-13-2006, 07:08 PM
I believe they are both State agencies, although TVA does spread throughout a few Southeastern States.

TVA (Tennessee Valley Authority) is a Federal Agency.

I was employed by TVA 1980-1986.

bcampbe7
02-13-2006, 07:58 PM
TVA (Tennessee Valley Authority) is a Federal Agency.

I was employed by TVA 1980-1986.

Thanks Tony, I wasn't 100% sure.

BriEOD
02-13-2006, 08:06 PM
No one ever said skiing was cheap.

I hear they have public basketball courts up there. ;)

shepherd
02-13-2006, 08:07 PM
It was just a thought (writing to Congressman). I remember a few times when a "controlled panic" would go around the office when our boss got a call from some admiral who got a call or letter from some Congressman who got a call or letter from a pissed off constituent...

bcampbe7
02-13-2006, 09:59 PM

Hey, who asked you?!? :D

I don't play basketball.

André
02-13-2006, 10:04 PM
That's a ridiculous fee for a slalom course permit!
Bunch of thieves i say!

erkoehler
02-13-2006, 10:19 PM
Tell them you'll give him a pull behind your boat through the slalom course, and you can call it even.

X-45
02-14-2006, 07:34 AM

Basketball is no longer just a girls sport in Tennessee

:woohoo: :headbang: :woohoo:

BriEOD
02-14-2006, 06:39 PM
Hey, who asked you?!? :D

I don't play basketball.Better be nice or I'll have Hillary come interrogate your arse! ;)

bcampbe7
02-14-2006, 08:59 PM
Better be nice or I'll have Hillary come interrogate your arse! ;)

Anything I say or type will be held against me... :eek:

roddydog
02-14-2006, 09:22 PM
Get a portable course.............sets up in about 1/2HR and you are good for the whole day!!!
F...k the feds and the state (up here Fk the feds and the province).

Put it in when you want and take it out when you don't (no response from you guys in the gutter).

Save all the $$$ and the headaches!

Larryp
02-15-2006, 12:26 AM
Yikes! Hope Texas doesn't know about ours. General consensus with building anything on our lake (including docks) is if you ask, they're going to have to find the paperwork. They don't like having to do this, so they feel like they should charge you for it.

Our course comes up when not in use, so we don't tend to worry about these things.
Can I put up a portable at any lake in Texas and then take down.

jimmer2880
02-15-2006, 07:11 AM
Can I put up a portable at any lake in Texas and then take down.

When I asked my local DNR Police on the matter - they said: "As long as it's a temporary course, no permit is required". So - over hear, only permenant structures, or structures which are teathered to the bank (Docks) require permits.