PDA

View Full Version : Laminate Flooring

Andyg
02-12-2006, 01:09 PM
Has anyone installed a laminate wood floor? Any recommendations on brands that hold up the best. My main concern is damage from my dogs nails. Any installation recommendations? This is going to be installed in our cabin in the living room, dining room and kitchen over a wood subfloor so there should be no moisture concerns. Since it is a cabin I also don't want to break the bank. Any advice would help.

Thanks

Andyg

erkoehler
02-12-2006, 01:11 PM
Has anyone installed a laminate wood floor? Any recommendations on brands that hold up the best. My main concern is damage from my dogs nails. Any installation recommendations? This is going to be installed in our cabin in the living room, dining room and kitchen over a wood subfloor so there should be no moisture concerns. Since it is a cabin I also don't want to break the bank. Any advice would help.

Thanks

Andyg

If you have pets, make sure that you are looking at the HARDER types of wood, and when you choose a company to buy from let them know you want durability to alot of traffics both people and pets.

redmike
02-12-2006, 02:08 PM
andy, installed laminate 2 years ago, dog has yet to hurt it, am impressed with the way it wears. Only problem I have had is some of the edges curled after a water leak...oh yeah, can't remember the name of it; think it was the cheap stuff at HD....

Maristar210
02-12-2006, 02:19 PM
I can speak to this.

My buddy has two dogs, a cheap (don't tell on me) builder and dark cherry hardwood floors. His dogs have destroyed this floor. It looks horrible. I do not know the brand but it IS soft. You can dent it with your nail. I would make sure what you buy is quality stuff and you'll be all set.

Good Luck...Steve

erkoehler
02-12-2006, 02:54 PM
I can speak to this.

My buddy has two dogs, a cheap (don't tell on me) builder and dark cherry hardwood floors. His dogs have destroyed this floor. It looks horrible. I do not know the brand but it IS soft. You can dent it with your nail. I would make sure what you buy is quality stuff and you'll be all set.

Good Luck...Steve

I have seen a similar issue in my buddies houses around here!

beef
02-12-2006, 02:56 PM
I installed the stuff from Costco a year ago & it still looks like new. I have a medium sized dog (45 lbs) and often have dog-friends over, no problems at all. I know that laminate is prone to moisture probs, but if you don't soak it, it seems to be fine. I took a scrap piece and tried to scratch it with a key & had to really work it to make a mark. The Costco brand is made by one of the major mfgrs, but I can't remember which one. Can't beat their price.

Boogieman
02-12-2006, 02:58 PM
the harder the better . . . .

X2M
02-12-2006, 03:35 PM
We installed wood laminate in our kitchen/dining area 4 years ago. Bought it on clearance before "House to Home" went out of business. Brand is Stoneridge.
I have 2 dogs. One 100lbs and the other still a puppy...no problems at all with nails or dings from shoes or chairs so far. Looks just like it did when we installed it. Heavy traffic area too.
Did have a water leak about 1 month after we installed it...ice maker hose. I freaked. Have had no curling or or rippling.
If you can find that brand...I would recomend it.
Just my 2 cents. :) :)

88 PS190
02-12-2006, 04:14 PM
what about that bamboo laminate. that stuff looks pretty good to me. alot like some of my rifles.

redmike
02-12-2006, 04:37 PM
looked into the bamboo, but was told it was too soft for dogs to run around on...

'02xrider
02-12-2006, 09:48 PM
I installed pergo laminate in my house 3 years ago. With 2 dogs, 1 a lab, no problems or scratches. Easy to install and easy to clean. If you have dogs, stay away from the real wood and especially the bamboo.

Larryp
02-12-2006, 10:06 PM
I have put in both laminate and real wood. Stick with real wood, it last forever.

erkoehler
02-13-2006, 12:12 AM
I installed pergo laminate in my house 3 years ago. With 2 dogs, 1 a lab, no problems or scratches. Easy to install and easy to clean. If you have dogs, stay away from the real wood and especially the bamboo.

I'll 2nd that advice!!!

firstmc
02-13-2006, 08:45 AM
I have a Kempas hardwood floor.. (1.5 times harder that Oak) It is jacked up from my dog. If you have a dog, go with laminate. It is the only thing that will hold up with dogs.... engineered hardwood and hardwood will NOT!!!
Plus my good bud installs hardwood here in Balt... he agrees

Ben
02-13-2006, 10:30 AM
I put in the Bruce prefinished stuff about 2 yrs ago, with the dog in mind. 45 lbs, pretty mild mannered (the dog at least). We do have some small scratches you can see if you look carefully on a sunny day, but most of those are from when the neighbor Brittney spaniel (hyper) was over to play with our guy... We haven't had any problems w/table or chairs. The only thing we did wrong was roll the frigde out on it. Ours is on narrow rollers I guess, it left 2 very slight grooves in the floor. Again, noticeable only from the right angle with the right light.

Anyway, my thought was the wood will look better, no delamination concerns, and if worst comes to worst, it can be refinished or touched up as needed. A friend bought the matching stain from a local store, they apparently are familiar w/the color codes.

Either way, I'd do the same again. Wife & I did the install in a weekend, I think it was about 400 sq ft (entry, kitchen & 1/2 bath). This didn't count removing and reinstalling the baseboard though.

jrcarte78
02-13-2006, 01:26 PM
I'm in the process of installing laminate in my house right now. I'm pleased with it so far. It was very easy to install and seems to be easy to keep clean. My dog is about 75 lbs and I haven't seen any issues with scratches, etc. I got mine at lumber liquidators for about $.80/sq ft. VERY CHEAP! But, it does look like the same as the higher quality, more expensive stuff. Overall, I'm pleased with it.

:D

BrianM
02-13-2006, 01:48 PM
I have installed lamininate in two houses now. One for a friend and one was a renovation that I did. Seems to hold up well.

Installation is really simple with just very basic carpentry skills. The last installation I did was about 950 sq ft. I did it completely by myself in two days.

maristarman
02-13-2006, 01:51 PM
I have a Kempas hardwood floor.. (1.5 times harder that Oak) It is jacked up from my dog. If you have a dog, go with laminate. It is the only thing that will hold up with dogs.... engineered hardwood and hardwood will NOT!!!
Plus my good bud installs hardwood here in Balt... he agrees

AGREED!!

"Hardwood" is a misnomer. If you have dogs they will scratch it up in no time. We installed wilsonart (http://www.wilsonart.com/) 6 years ago and it still looks as good as the day it was installed.

Its got a solid fiber core, so its more dent resistant than pergo (or it was when we were shopping. I don't know how pergo manufactures their products now.).

Easy to clean to. Ammonia and water, thats it.

Thats with 2 dogs and 3 kids, high traffic areas.

CoFooter
02-13-2006, 02:14 PM
Put the Costco stuff in my basement yesterday. I think I paid about a buck and a half a sq foot. I'm happy with the installation, though like everything it takes a few rows to get used to. It says if the floor will be exposed to water, you should use glue on the tongue and groove, so I did. Looks great, we'll see in a few years.