PDA

View Full Version : Daytona

tex
02-11-2006, 12:22 PM
Anybody going to the Daytona? My wife is going and wants to check out the ski tournament? Any ideas on watching it for her?

ski_king
02-11-2006, 12:34 PM
From skifly.com

* * * Athletes Performing at Daytona * * *
from Janifer Ellis for SkiFly.com

The following athletes will be performing at Daytona on the following days:

Sat Feb 11 (2 PM until dark) BUDWEISER SHOOTOUT
CHRIS PARRISH
SCOT ELLIS
JOY TODD
ARRON GUESS
DEREK KOCH
TARA BENZEL

Sun Feb 12 (12:00PM to 5:00 PM ) BUDWEISER POLE QUALIFYING
CHRIS PARRISH
SCOT ELLIS
JOY TODD
ARRON GUESS
DEREK KOCH
TARA BENZEL

Thurs. Feb 16 (12:00 PM to 2:00 PM & 3:00 to 5:00 PM) GATORADE DUEL
FREDDY KRUEGER
KAREN TRUELOVE
CHRIS PARRISH
AURELIEN SERRAULT
GENO YAUCHLER
ANGELA YAUCHLER

Fri. Feb 17 (2:00 PM to 6:00 PM) GM FLEX FUEL 250
FREDDY KRUEGER
KAREN TRUELOVE
AURELIEN SERRAULT
GENO YAUCHLER
ANGELA YAUCHLER
RHONI BARTON BISCHOFF

Sat Feb 18 (10:00 AM to 1:00 PM) HERSHEY'S KISSABLES 300
FREDDY KRUEGER
KAREN TRUELOVE
CHRIS PARRISH
SCOT ELLIS
RHONI BARTON BISCHOFF
JUNE FLADBORG
GENO YAUCHLER
KEITH ST.ONLE

Sun Feb 19 (10:00 AM to 2:00 PM) DAYTONA 500
FREDDY KRUEGER
KAREN TRUELOVE
CHRIS PARRISH
SCOT ELLIS
RHONI BARTON BISCHOFF
JUNE FLADBORG
GENO YAUCHLER
KEITH ST.ONLE

shepherd
02-11-2006, 01:15 PM
Me and the wife thought about going to the Shootout this weekend, but glad we didn't. According to the Weather Channel website, looks like it's going to be a cold, windy, wet night. Might be rain delayed... :

Probably not the best ski conditions either (windy this afternoon)!

tex
02-11-2006, 01:35 PM
i saw that. i just wanted to know how she could get down there to watch!

shepherd
02-11-2006, 11:55 PM
They got that new fanzone down there in the infield now, just started doing it last year I think. When I renewed my Pepsi 400 tickets, I was given the option to buy some pre-race fan zone tickets for like an extra $75 bucks each. So, your wife would probably need one of those "extra" tickets to get down close to the lake to watch the skiing.

Actually, when I was looking into buying Bud Shootout tickets, they had a ticket package so you could go see a concert (Staind) in the fanzone, so maybe your wife already has that...

How come you're not with her? Bummer about the rain, though...

jkski
02-12-2006, 10:05 AM
I caught a quick clip yesterday on SPEED, where they were showing the lake and they had a guy doing a flying front dock start behind what appeared to be an X2. The sad part about it: the camera angle and banner placement gave BU a ton of national exposure and made it look like they were the only boat there. In actuality, all 3 of the majors were represented.

tex
02-12-2006, 10:55 AM
I saw that too. It was Keith St. Oinge(spell)doing the flyer off the dock. I could not make the trip due to her company putting the nix on spouses in the suite. It is their first real cup race and they want to hit a home run on business. They don't need a knuckle head like me hanging around in the suite with all my MC gear on drinking all their booze! She has access to about anyplace in Daytona. We went to the race in Texas last year which was their run through. We got taken way back into the garages with a tour by a driver off the Busch series. We also got to go into the studios and listen to the radio guys do their play by play. It rocked! The wife is living large!

shepherd
02-12-2006, 03:23 PM
Lucky girl! :toast: I guess she didn't have to worry too much about the rain and cold sitting in that luxury suite!

Who/what do they sponsor?

SteveO
02-13-2006, 09:17 AM
I saw that too. It was Keith St. Oinge(spell)doing the flyer off the dock. I could not make the trip due to her company putting the nix on spouses in the suite. It is their first real cup race and they want to hit a home run on business. They don't need a knuckle head like me hanging around in the suite with all my MC gear on drinking all their booze! She has access to about anyplace in Daytona. We went to the race in Texas last year which was their run through. We got taken way back into the garages with a tour by a driver off the Busch series. We also got to go into the studios and listen to the radio guys do their play by play. It rocked! The wife is living large!

Remember your friend (yes the ones that give you directions to TMC) when NASCAR is at TMC this spring.

Stritt
02-13-2006, 10:02 AM
We were at Daytona over the weekend.....Very COLD!! Very Windy!!
This was our first experience with Nascar first hand. Our 5 yr old LOVED the cars, we parked infield along turn 4 against the fence line and had a great view of turns 3 & 4 along with the short shoot to the front straightway. Ok....enough with the racing part....Lets talk about the "ski show"......I was VERY disappointed in the representation.....Not from the group from SKIFLY.com who looked as if they would not be there, no representation from the industry would have cared. We walked down to the deck, looked around and then waited to watch some skiing. There were maybe 20 people standing around the deck, 1/2 of which I would guess were in association with SKIFLY....They kept to themelves, never spoke with us to try and "PROMOTE" the sport, my wife made a comment that they seemed very snooty....Not good at all. Grant it was cold and windy......but we are talking about EXPOSURE to the sport.....Again, I personally fault the industry in whole for not supporting this event. So many "marketing" ideas were flying into my head on ways to help engage the attendees to the lake area.....Didn't I read Kasey Kahne had an association with Supra? Let the imagination wonder and see how many "tie-ins" run in your mind. I know other Nascar drivers have ski boats, I know MasterCraft has some involvement with an Indy Driver.....Alll tie in's....This industry needs to learn how to market the sport.....

Ok, now for the really sad part. As we were standing there, Chris Parrish was all suited up for a slalom run, Scot Ellis was preparing to jump. When all of a sudden, here comes the NBC camera with some guy I have seen before during the races.....They load up in the Malibu and as they are in the boat, no enthusiasm could be noticed, the poor guy was sitting there and not even being engaged by our sports representatives.....They motor down to the end of Lake Loyd, and we wait....and wait....and wait....had to be like 10 minutes....Next thing we see is some go-fast boat start zooming up and down the lake, the NBC crew left the Malibu, and was now filming the go fast boating experience....Once the 5 minute joy ride was over, did they return to the Malibu? Nope, they left......never filming the skiing.....SAD moment for the sport. I cannot give a reason why they left the skiing to goto the go fast, but standing there and observing it looked like more fun to me than to watch Scott Ellis get suited up to jump off a ramp. Come'on...Which has a better tie in? Slalom...Jump...Barefooting or Wakeboarding? All were represented.....Wakeboarding at least was exciting....Slalom, yeah like you can see another 1.5 ft coming off the rope and see the skier look the same as they did on the last past....Jumping? Yep, like you can tell from the shore the difference between a 150' jump and a 250' jump.....Barefooting? More exciting because its not so repetivive.....Omg...I forgot trick skiing was there too....yeah, that was really exciting...So, this was our experience from a ski boat owner and skier for many many years....The sport has ALOT of room for growth, however until some real Marketing is infused at US Waterski or from the Manufacturer level.....its going to have a Hard TIME!

MasterCraft and other manufactures.....here is a question for you....With the inboard industry building close to 10,000 boats annually, why not include a single membership into USA WaterSki for every boat purchased? Who is going to complain about another $60.00 on a $40-70k boat? That helps grow the sport though USA Waterski, gets them into a magazine (poor at best) that does support the sport and also directs them to your advertising......MasterCraft whats it going to cost you if you absorb the cost of the membership.....$204,000..assuming you don't pass the cost on....Didn't I read you made a $100k donation to USAWater ski in the past year or 2? USA WaterSki....how would you like to have a potential budget increase 600k annually? That would help with the sports exposure....

Enough..... ;)

shepherd
02-13-2006, 12:50 PM
Wow :(
Well, it at least looked like a good race.

I've never watched from the infield before. How do you get in there? Is it first come, first served or can you buy reserved spots in advance?

Ric
02-13-2006, 12:56 PM
what a shame, maybe they will get organized this week though!!

as far as the go fast boat, if you were the producer of a neckcar production and a shiny loud gofastboat entered the pic, you wouldn't have to know anything about skiing or boats to say. "camera 2, get me shots of that loud purple boat now!!!!" remember their audience.

your idea about membership is a good one!

Have you ordered your new 197?

We were at Daytona over the weekend.....Very COLD!! Very Windy!!
This was our first experience with Nascar first hand. Our 5 yr old LOVED the cars, we parked infield along turn 4 against the fence line and had a great view of turns 3 & 4 along with the short shoot to the front straightway. Ok....enough with the racing part....Lets talk about the "ski show"......I was VERY disappointed in the representation.....Not from the group from SKIFLY.com who looked as if they would not be there, no representation from the industry would have cared. We walked down to the deck, looked around and then waited to watch some skiing. There were maybe 20 people standing around the deck, 1/2 of which I would guess were in association with SKIFLY....They kept to themelves, never spoke with us to try and "PROMOTE" the sport, my wife made a comment that they seemed very snooty....Not good at all. Grant it was cold and windy......but we are talking about EXPOSURE to the sport.....Again, I personally fault the industry in whole for not supporting this event. So many "marketing" ideas were flying into my head on ways to help engage the attendees to the lake area.....Didn't I read Kasey Kahne had an association with Supra? Let the imagination wonder and see how many "tie-ins" run in your mind. I know other Nascar drivers have ski boats, I know MasterCraft has some involvement with an Indy Driver.....Alll tie in's....This industry needs to learn how to market the sport.....

Ok, now for the really sad part. As we were standing there, Chris Parrish was all suited up for a slalom run, Scot Ellis was preparing to jump. When all of a sudden, here comes the NBC camera with some guy I have seen before during the races.....They load up in the Malibu and as they are in the boat, no enthusiasm could be noticed, the poor guy was sitting there and not even being engaged by our sports representatives.....They motor down to the end of Lake Loyd, and we wait....and wait....and wait....had to be like 10 minutes....Next thing we see is some go-fast boat start zooming up and down the lake, the NBC crew left the Malibu, and was now filming the go fast boating experience....Once the 5 minute joy ride was over, did they return to the Malibu? Nope, they left......never filming the skiing.....SAD moment for the sport. I cannot give a reason why they left the skiing to goto the go fast, but standing there and observing it looked like more fun to me than to watch Scott Ellis get suited up to jump off a ramp. Come'on...Which has a better tie in? Slalom...Jump...Barefooting or Wakeboarding? All were represented.....Wakeboarding at least was exciting....Slalom, yeah like you can see another 1.5 ft coming off the rope and see the skier look the same as they did on the last past....Jumping? Yep, like you can tell from the shore the difference between a 150' jump and a 250' jump.....Barefooting? More exciting because its not so repetivive.....Omg...I forgot trick skiing was there too....yeah, that was really exciting...So, this was our experience from a ski boat owner and skier for many many years....The sport has ALOT of room for growth, however until some real Marketing is infused at US Waterski or from the Manufacturer level.....its going to have a Hard TIME!

MasterCraft and other manufactures.....here is a question for you....With the inboard industry building close to 10,000 boats annually, why not include a single membership into USA WaterSki for every boat purchased? Who is going to complain about another $60.00 on a $40-70k boat? That helps grow the sport though USA Waterski, gets them into a magazine (poor at best) that does support the sport and also directs them to your advertising......MasterCraft whats it going to cost you if you absorb the cost of the membership.....$204,000..assuming you don't pass the cost on....Didn't I read you made a $100k donation to USAWater ski in the past year or 2? USA WaterSki....how would you like to have a potential budget increase 600k annually? That would help with the sports exposure....

Enough..... ;)

Stritt
02-13-2006, 02:31 PM
The infield, i know you can reserve spaces but you also can just drive in. With our 5 yr old the infield was great, we werent charged for him for us it was $30.00 per person plus $5.00 to park....Pretty cheap for a days entertainement, in our case 2 days, due to the rainout.

Go Fast boats, very easy tie in..... from land to water its all about speed this week here at Daytona. I guess my point was, if NBC is looking at you wanting information, involve them right away keep the focus on the sport...having them wait in a boat for 10 minutes.....I bet that go fast looked GREAT....plus it was a way back to the dock ;)

Hmmm, ordering a new 197?..at this point will look at 08 anniversary, but quite honestly....doubtful....I love the boats, but i think if we buy another MC its going to be a used one and more than likely a v-drive...

tex
02-16-2006, 10:46 PM
The wife leaves tomorow...anybody up to watch the race on Sunday...I have a DLP!

LakePirate
02-16-2006, 10:53 PM
It's a little far to Ft. Worth
But I will be watching, beer in hand from my recliner

How 'bout that 8 car.

Note: The wife is already calculating a nap.

SteveO
02-16-2006, 10:55 PM
The wife leaves tomorow...anybody up to watch the race on Sunday...I have a DLP!
You throwing a kegger???? Strippers and beer????

tex
02-16-2006, 11:09 PM
I told the wife that i need a stripper. pull for the 96 car to have a top 20! It will be a long season!

LakePirate
02-16-2006, 11:11 PM
The Iceman.

How did you like those Petty cars running up front?

Ric
02-17-2006, 07:49 AM
the key to watching a race at home is to have the ice chest in the living room, stand on the couch and remove your shirt...... One more thing. you must scream boogie boo booogie boo when the flag drops :steering:

tex
02-17-2006, 12:52 PM
How else would you watch it?

Is it bad of me to laugh when my wife phones and tells me that she missed her flight?

Ric
02-17-2006, 12:54 PM
How else would you watch it?

Is it bad of me to laugh when my wife phones and tells me that she missed her flight?
only if she hears you 8p

André
02-19-2006, 03:45 PM
Looks like they're racing in the fog...

RedStar
02-19-2006, 03:49 PM
Looks like they're racing in the fog...

Looks like an infomercial. I've never seen so many commercials!

tex
02-19-2006, 06:40 PM
Redog,

What did you think of the DLP commercial?

betsy&david Harrison
02-19-2006, 08:24 PM
Yeah, great race! I'm an official 20 HATER though...big baby...if you bump me I'm gonna get you and finish the job... just my :twocents: after a few beers and guacamole. B

Cloaked
02-19-2006, 10:02 PM
Yeah, great race! I'm an official 20 HATER though...big baby...if you bump me I'm gonna get you and finish the job... just my :twocents: after a few beers and guacamole. BHe owns NASCAR.

After 39 years of watching racing and today's slot car event, I declare that NASCAR Cup series sucks for me.

twieder
02-19-2006, 10:56 PM
After watching all the races from Daytona this year, I've come to one decision........If Mark Martin wasn't runnin cup, I'd have no use for it! The only decent race was the trucks and not just because he won. At least the trucks race, not some bs slot car race where the "stars" get to do what they want. :rant: Today I watched gordon and jr. make passes below the yellow line.... no penalty. I watched stewart drive like a moron and not get parked and then saw NASCAR hand the race to homohendrick team. Glad...Thats who should sponser ALL hendrick cars! :twocents:
:uglyhamme

shepherd
02-20-2006, 10:02 AM
The race wasn't that impressive. I agree twieder, the truck races are much better and they are only about 2 mph slower. And if you go in person, the traffic and crowds are a lot less and the tickets are a lot cheaper and you get much better seats.

How about Bon Jovi vs. Rolling Stones shows? I'm not a Bon Jovi fan, but the Bon Jovi pre-race show was much better, more polished and better sounding than the Stones' Super Bowl disaster.

And how about those Bud Light commercials? Funny stuff... Better than the ones they had on the Super Bowl.

MYMC
02-20-2006, 10:06 AM
What do you want? The best cheater won...it's the NASCAR way!

shepherd
02-20-2006, 10:07 AM
What do you want? The best cheater won...it's the NASCAR way!

How do you think Richard Petty won all those races???

MYMC
02-20-2006, 10:50 AM
How do you think Richard Petty won all those races???
Trust me I know how...you probably would not believe the things we went through.

shepherd
02-20-2006, 11:08 AM
Trust me I know how...you probably would not believe the things we went through.

Gotcha ;)

tex
11-14-2007, 11:07 PM
Take me please!!!!!!!!!!!