PDA

View Full Version : Food Talk with TEX!!!!!!!!

Pages : [1] 2

Hoosier Bob
02-10-2006, 10:55 PM
This is a new thread where Tex will submit good ole TX cookin' for ole Hoosier Bob and others. This is food talk and all concerns and questions regarding food prep, presentation and service should and will be directed here!
Thanks Tex! :D

Hoosier Bob
02-10-2006, 10:57 PM
By the way I will be bumping this thread early and often!!!! :headbang:
PS I hope Tex can help out with the, "Hoosier what you Eatin" thread!

tex
02-10-2006, 11:01 PM
one of my lake favorites!

5 quarts water
1/4 cup Old Bay seasoning
4 pounds small red potatoes
2 pounds kielbasa or hot smoked link sausage, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
6 ears fresh corn, halved
4 pounds unpeeled, large fresh shrimp
Old Bay seasoning
Cocktail sauce

Bring 5 quarts water and 1/4 cup Old Bay seasoning to a rolling boil in a large covered stockpot.
Add potatoes; return to a boil, and cook, uncovered, 10 minutes.

Add sausage and corn, and return to a boil. Cook 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender.

Add shrimp to stockpot; cook 3 to 4 minutes or until shrimp turn pink. Drain. Serve with Old Bay seasoning and cocktail sauce.

Hoosier Bob
02-10-2006, 11:03 PM
Old Bay! You are killing me now! I grew up on old bay! Blue Crab baby and beer! One a night may be all I can handle! Thanks Tex! Look forward to tomorrow! :D

Hoosier Bob
02-10-2006, 11:08 PM
Why do I add the old bay twice? Is it layered like on the crabs or do you just like it as much as I do? You know I am going to try this! You guys may make a man out of me yet! :D one of my lake favorites!

5 quarts water
1/4 cup Old Bay seasoning
4 pounds small red potatoes
2 pounds kielbasa or hot smoked link sausage, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
6 ears fresh corn, halved
4 pounds unpeeled, large fresh shrimp
Old Bay seasoning
Cocktail sauce

Bring 5 quarts water and 1/4 cup Old Bay seasoning to a rolling boil in a large covered stockpot.
Add potatoes; return to a boil, and cook, uncovered, 10 minutes.

Add sausage and corn, and return to a boil. Cook 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender.

Add shrimp to stockpot; cook 3 to 4 minutes or until shrimp turn pink. Drain. Serve with Old Bay seasoning and cocktail sauce.

Leroy
02-10-2006, 11:12 PM
Tex, you need to come to Mag Fest......

Hoosier Bob
02-10-2006, 11:16 PM
That $%#@ makes be so dang hungry I could!!!!!!!!! I am trying that recipe tomorrow. Old Bay is sort of scarce around here though. It is an eastern spice, Chesapeake (spelling?). :D Tex, you need to come to Mag Fest......

Hoosier Bob
02-10-2006, 11:41 PM
And I thought Mag was the only cook on this site! The lovely Lisa says hello Mag! :D

shepherd
02-11-2006, 12:00 AM
That $%#@ makes be so dang hungry I could!!!!!!!!! I am trying that recipe tomorrow. Old Bay is sort of scarce around here though. It is an eastern spice, Chesepeak (spelling?). :D

CHESAPEAKE

Get steamer pot
Put one beer, some water, some cider vinegar in the bottom
Add one layer of live blue crabs
Sprinkle crabs with Old Bay, cayenne pepper, and salt
Add another layer of crabs
Sprinkle again
Repeat until pot is full or you run out of crabs
Put lid on pot
Put pot on stove
Put stove on "high"
Crack open a beer and drink it while the crabs are steaming

Serve with cider vinegar spiked with Old Bay seasoning (do NOT dip the crab meat in butter -- save the butter for the lobsters). Save leftover crabs for crabcakes.

Leroy
02-11-2006, 12:02 AM
Hello to Lovely Lisa!

Workin' 4 Toys
02-11-2006, 12:24 AM
And I thought Mag was the only cook on this site! The lovely Lisa says hello Mag! :D
Let's not forget Jrandol's smokin' pork!!!!

6ballsisall
02-11-2006, 08:20 AM
Let's not forget Jrandol's smokin' pork!!!!

For Pulled Pork. Going to try this recipe for Mag Fest I believe

Slather
1/4 Cup Apple Juice
1/4 Cup Yellow Mustard
2 tbsp Hot Sauce
1 tsp Worse-than-your-sister's-sire sauce

Rub
3/4 Cup Turbinado Sugar
3/4 Cup Kosher Salt
3 tbsp Granulated Garlic
3 tbsp Onion Powder
2 tbsp Black Pepper
1 tbsp Ancho Powder
1/4 tsp Celery Seed
1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper
1/4 tsp Cinnamon
1/4 tsp Marjoram
1/8 tsp Ground Ginger
1/8 tsp Turmeric

Cook to 190-195 degrees. (approx. 1 1/2 -2 hours per lbs of pork)

tex
02-11-2006, 09:44 AM
i like alot of old bay in the recipe...i always put extra in and then you want need some at the end to serve it with. i made it on New Years and we had some people who did not like spicy stuff. i put in what the recipe called for and had to sprinkle more over it at the end. if you can't find old bay...just find another shrimp/crawfish boil spice. that recipe is very easy and i prepare everything and put into bags before we go to the lake house. I bust out the turkey fryer and start throwing it together. it is so f'n easy and fun(standing around watching and drinking beer). you finish and everyone thanks that you are the GREATEST!

Hoosier Bob
02-11-2006, 09:50 AM
Thanks, All I need now are some crabs. I don't think a chicken neck and some string will work in the ponds around here. I lived in Williamsburg, VA and Baltimore, MD. Blue crabs abound! Not as many in Indiana though.

Hoosier Bob
02-11-2006, 09:52 AM
Jeff, now you can make that TMC recipe book to go along with the calendar.

Ric
02-11-2006, 09:57 AM
i like alot of old bay in the recipe...i always put extra in and then you want need some at the end to serve it with. i made it on New Years and we had some people who did not like spicy stuff. i put in what the recipe called for and had to sprinkle more over it at the end. if you can't find old bay...just find another shrimp/crawfish boil spice. that recipe is very easy and i prepare everything and put into bags before we go to the lake house. I bust out the turkey fryer and start throwing it together. it is so f'n easy and fun(standing around watching and drinking beer). you finish and everyone thanks that you are the GREATEST!
that does sound dam good! may have to try it this weekend

Leroy
02-11-2006, 10:31 AM
I'm sure he will be jumping at the bit for another opportunity like that!

stevo137
02-11-2006, 11:18 AM
whoops...............

tex
02-11-2006, 11:24 AM
I love red sauce. I can't wait to try. Have you watched everyday italian on the food channel. yes I would!

stevo137
02-11-2006, 11:27 AM
Is that the one with the cute Italian chick?

Leroy
02-11-2006, 11:28 AM
Stevo137; My Mom has a similar recipe and she simmers for 2-3 days before it is ready. Hard to wait 3 days for a pasta dinner. THis one sounds great.

My red sauce.

1/2-1 whole sweet onion depending on size chopped fine
One portabella mushroom cap chopped
Five cloves garlic, minced (You can use the prepared minced but fresh is better and keep in mind, 1 teaspoon=1 clove).
1-28 oz can of whole peeled plum or roma tomatoes (organic are best).
1-14 oz can of diced tomatoes
1-14 oz can of tomato sauce
1-6 oz can of tomato paste
1/4 cup red wine (good stuff not junk)
1 teaspoon lemon juice
Spices: parsley, oregano, rosemary, basil, (About 1-2 tablespoons)
Salt and pepper.
Crushed red pepper (TINY AMOUNT)!
1 tablespoon sugar (you may want a bit more sugar depending on what you like, it seems like most like a bit more).

Start by cooking the onion in olive oil on low flame and then adding garlic and mushroom. (Don't brown it)! Add a teaspoon of aged balsamic vinegar and cook for about 10-15 minutes.
Now add all of the tomatoes, sauces, paste, and spices and use a potato masher to gently mix everything and cook on low. (I remove the hard ends from the tomatoes).
Once it begins to cook add the red wine and stir occasionally and cover with lid. Cook for about 2-3 hours on a very low flame.

This will feed about 6 people depending on how much pasta they eat!

You won't believe how good the house smells! ;)

Don't forget to drink a glass or two of that wine while cooking! :D

stevo137
02-11-2006, 11:34 AM
Wow! 3 days Leroy, that must be some great sauce!
I forgot to mention that I do like to occasianally taste the sauce on a piece of bread while cooking.
You can tell when it's ready, turns deep red.
If it gets too thick, just add a bit of water.
I use a Magnalite pot with lid and vent, the thicker the pot, the better.

tex
02-11-2006, 11:44 AM
That would be the one! I have visions of red wine, pasta, 9 1/2 weeks.

She's on right now!!!!

1.H.T. is tough!

east tx skier
02-11-2006, 03:13 PM
Okay, I like you guys, so here's the secret recipe. You want steaks that will make people take notice. Marinade them, a la Churascos, in Argentine Chimichuri Sauce for 6 hours and flash grill it.

Argentine Chimichuri Sauce

1/2 Cup of Olive Oil
Juice of 1 lime
1/3 Cup Diced Parsley
2 cloves minced garlic
2 chopped shallots
1 Tbspn Diced Basil, Cilantro, Rosemary, Thyme, and Oregano.
Salt and Ground Pepper to taste

Put it in the blender, then throw it in a ziplock with the steaks.

Cook it over high heat (I'm soaking my mesquite chips right now). It'll probably catch fire. Just let it go, but don't leave it. It's easy to burn this way. In the end, you'll almost be able to cut it with a fork it's so tender. Mine just went into the fridge for the soak.

Hoosier Bob
02-11-2006, 03:19 PM
I knew I was gonna like this thread! Can't decide which but I will be heading to the store soon! :D

east tx skier
02-11-2006, 03:59 PM
Add Juice of 1 lime to that recipe. Slipped my mind.

Also, Make two batches of it. One to marinade, one to run through the blender and dip banana/plantane chips into.

6ballsisall
02-11-2006, 04:32 PM

You really want me to turn into a raving drunk dont you :D

Hoosier Bob
02-11-2006, 04:33 PM
I could use the company! :o You really want me to turn into a raving drunk dont you :D

tex
03-04-2006, 08:19 PM
Pesto

2 cups basil
1/4 cup pine nuts
1/4 cup olive oil
2 teaspoons lemon juice
2 garlic cloves
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup fresh grated parm cheese
2 tablespoons fresh grated romano cheese

Process 1st 6 ing. in food processor until smooth.
Stir in cheeses.

Pour over chicken and pasta and it is great.

We are having it with fresh shrimp tonight!

It rocks!
The lake is coming up!!!!

tex
03-04-2006, 10:30 PM
She loves wine too!

tex
03-05-2006, 04:03 PM
Anybody up for watching the Oscars?

apps-Tomato, Mozzaarella, and Basil Bruschetta

1 (32-ounce) can whole tomatoes, drained
1 cup fresh basil leaves, washed and spun dry
4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
6 cloves garlic, peeled
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 large French baquettes, sliced 1-inch thick (about 36 slices)
1 1/2 pounds fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced 1/4-inch thick

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
In the bowl of a food processor, add drained tomatoes, 1 cup basil leaves, olive oil and 2 cloves garlic. Pulse until smooth, but somewhat chunky. Season with salt and pepper.

On a baking sheet, line up baguette slices. Toast in oven for about 3 minutes or until light golden brown. Working quickly, rub the remaining garlic on the toasted side of each slice and then lay a piece of mozzarella cheese on top. Place bread back in oven and melt cheese slightly, about 45 seconds. Remove from oven and spread one tablespoon of the tomato mixture on each piece.

Place bruschetta on decorative platter and garnish with basil leaves.

Main dish-Bollito Misto

4 pounds beef brisket or top round
Salt and freshly ground pepper
4 cups beef stock or broth
About 4 cups water, enough to cover the beef
2 onions, peeled and quartered
4 celery stalks, cut in 1/2
1 bay leaf
4 carrots, peeled and cut into thirds
1 pound small boiling potatoes
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Gorgonzola Sauce, recipe follows
Salsa Verde, recipe follows

Heat a large braising pot over medium-high heat. Season the beef with salt and pepper. Sear the beef, browning it on both sides, about 5 minutes a side. Carefully add the stock and enough water to just cover the meat. Add the onion, celery, and bay leaf. Bring the liquid to a boil. Lower the heat to a simmer, cover, and cook for 1 hour. Add the carrots and potatoes and cook until the meat is tender, about another hour. Carefully lift out the meat, place on a cutting board, and cover with foil. Strain the vegetables from the stock. Discard the celery, onion, and bay leaf. Arrange the carrots and potatoes on a platter and cover with foil to keep warm. Continue cooking the stock uncovered over medium heat until reduced by half, about 20 minutes. Meanwhile, slice the meat against the grain, on an angle. Arrange the meat alongside the carrots and potatoes on the platter. When the stock has reduced, season with salt and pepper, to taste, and transfer to a gravy dish. Serve the Bollito Misto with the gravy and bowls of the Gorgonzola Sauce and the Salsa Verde.

Gorgonzola Sauce:
4 ounces Gorgonzola
2 cups mayonnaise
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Put all the ingredients in a food processor and combine until smooth. Serve in a side dish.

Yield: 1 1/4 cups

Spicy Salsa Verde:
1 cup chopped parsley leaves, about 1 bunch
2 shallots, chopped
2 tablespoons chopped capers
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons hot sauce, or 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
1 1/2 cups extra-virgin olive oil
In a bowl, stir all the ingredients together until combined. Serve in a side dish.

Yield: 1 1/2 cups

Side-Spicy Baked Macaroni

Salt
1 pound elbow macaroni pasta
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 pound assorted mushrooms, quartered
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 (10-ounce) package frozen spinach, thawed and drained of excess liquid
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/2 cups bread crumbs
1/4 cup grated Parmesan, plus 1/3 cup
1/4 cup Romano, plus 1/3 cup
2 tablespoons butter, softened, plus 2 tablespoons
12 ounces mozzarella cubed (about 2 cups)
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, about 8 to 10 minutes. Drain pasta.

In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the mushrooms, onion, and garlic. Cook until the mushrooms are tender and the onion is golden, about 7 minutes. Add the tomatoes, spinach, and red pepper flakes. Stir to combine and cook until heated through, about 5 minutes.

In a small bowl, mix together the bread crumbs, 1/4 cup Parmesan, and 1/4 cup Romano. Spread the softened butter in a 9 by 13-inch glass baking dish and sprinkle half of the bread crumb mixture inside the dish to coat.

In a large bowl combine the vegetable mixture with the cooked macaroni, cubed mozzarella, the remaining Parmesan and Romano cheeses, and the nutmeg. Spoon into the prepared baking dish, top with the remaining bread crumb mixture, and dot the top with the remaining butter. Bake until the top is golden brown, about 30 to 40 minutes.

Oh yeah, a few martinis too!

André
03-05-2006, 05:07 PM
Thanks Martha! ;)

tex
03-05-2006, 05:20 PM
I've never served time.

BriEOD
03-05-2006, 05:46 PM
MarkP needs to put some recipes on here. That man can cook!

MarkP
03-05-2006, 08:39 PM
MarkP needs to put some recipes on here. That man can cook!What do you need my friend?!! Say the word.......

BriEOD
03-05-2006, 09:12 PM
What's the pizze recipe?

east tx skier
03-05-2006, 10:25 PM
She loves wine too!

My favorite on the Food Network. Bar none.

tex
03-05-2006, 10:36 PM
Many people went away from the house tonight with happy tummys and happy livers!

Hoosier Bob
03-06-2006, 10:30 PM
Bump! Sorry Tex but I have not made a darn thing! This weekend all kids are home and I am feeling lucky! I may just give it a shot! Thanks for the recipes! :D

tex
04-21-2006, 09:43 PM
1 18" cedar plank, soaked in water 24 hours
1 - 2 1/2 to 3lb Salmon Fillet, rinsed and patted dry. Place on wet cedar
plank, flesh side up.
6 oz Contadina fresh pesto (in grocer's fresh refrigerated pasta section)
1/2 cp softened butter or margarine
1 t. lemon juice
1 T. Dehydrated onion flakes
Rough ground black pepper to taste

Combine pesto, butter, and lemon juice until well blended. Generously
spread pesto-butter on fillet. Sprinkle generously with rough ground black
pepper and dash of dehydrated onion. Place planked fillet on Weber kettle
grill over very hot charcoal briquettes (450 degrees) and cover. Close
vents 1/2 way and don't open for 15 minutes. Check for doneness in middle
of fillet...pink and flaky. Butter will melt away and leave a beautiful
pesto crust over fish. This also makes a terrific appetizer served chilled on
crackers with "shmear" of cream cheese. Mmmm.

I am trying this tonight. I will let you know in about an hour.

tex
04-21-2006, 10:00 PM
I just went out to check the salmon...it was black and on fire...Wild Salmon at $18.00 a lb. Let's just say I dropped numerous F-bombs and a $20 dollar bill went into the yard by the way of a spatula!
By luck I spent $40 at the market and I can go by one of my safe recipes. The wife has about had it with me! Anybody got a sofa?

Upper Michigan Prostar190
04-21-2006, 10:05 PM
aw man, sorry to hear that Tex. That sucks. well, I have been there dude. Sometimes grilling just goes bad. I am very generous with the F word myself and let it fly way too easily. If you can still drive, you can crash at my sofa. or Hoosier Bobs. His stinky gym socks might be lying around though...... :rolleyes:

BTW, I would have flung it into the yard too, just out of frustration. I am proud of you for that, and I am not joking either. Ya know, one time at work, my boss' brother hit his thumb with a hammer and got SOOOOO pi$$sed off that he busted a door right off the freakin hinges....I was proud of him wishing he was my own son! I know the feeling, and you have to let it out! Dont keep it bottled up.

stevo137
04-21-2006, 10:15 PM
Tex, I'm sorry man, at your expense, I am LMAO! :D

tex
04-21-2006, 10:18 PM
I would hope that everyone is LMFAO at me! By the time I was typing...I was lmfao!

bcampbe7
04-22-2006, 12:17 AM
That sucks Tex! However, picturing you in the yard with a flaming grill in the background flinging a torched salmon gave me a good laugh. :D

I was playing golf with a guy that hit a bad drive and in one motion in his backswing snapped his driver over his knee. He had about a 1/4" by 4" piece of graphite go through his pinky finger. :eek:

Leroy
04-22-2006, 07:07 AM
That's funny Tex.....been there also! LMMFAOB

Great recipes, I must try some! Thanks!

6ballsisall
04-22-2006, 08:50 AM
SOrry to hear it Tex, especially with such an expensive piece of fish! :o

I must say I think it might have been a good laugh to see the whole scenario on video though. Care to re-inact this for us??

tex
04-22-2006, 07:57 PM
It ended up making for good laughs.

betsy&david Harrison
04-22-2006, 08:15 PM
I heard there is cheap gator or python in the Everglades. What's that like BBQ'd?

04-25-2006, 10:40 AM
Tex, is that who I think it is in your avatar???

tex
04-25-2006, 10:54 AM
If you are referring to the Hedgehog...You are right.
Hey, I may be cooking for 12 this weekend...Any suggestions?

04-25-2006, 11:12 AM
Ron rules! :headbang:

bcampbe7
04-25-2006, 11:16 AM
Hey, I may be cooking for 12 this weekend...Any suggestions?

Don't cook Salmon on a cedar plank! :uglyhamme

04-25-2006, 11:21 AM
as far as the food. How bout these ideas

Steak sandwiches. Get some "sizzler" steaks which are usually cheaper sirloin used for breakfast steaks or sandwiches. Marinate in Kikkomans soy sauce, Mrs. Dash extra spicey seasoning, season salt, and some of what ever else you like, I use garlic, ground pepper. Marinate overnight if possible, but 5 or 6 hours will do. Grill to taste. Then take a big sweet onion, and mushrooms, dice it up, and saute it in butter, salt and pepper until carmelized.

Get FRESH french bread from a bakery. slice open and butter the inside and also put some zesty italiian salad dressing on the inside of the bread too. then toast that bread on the grille. If you choose to have cheese on them, put that on the steak now so it melts. Then put the steaks and onions/mushrooms on the bread like a sandwich, cut into serving size pieces and serve. Make some veggies: boil some fresh green beans and carrots, then saute that in butter, brown sugar, and parsely. serve as a side dish. corn on the cob also goes well.

These go well with beer.

04-25-2006, 11:53 AM
Don't cook Salmon on a cedar plank! :uglyhamme

YEEEEEE HAAAAAWWWWW!!! just when Tex thought it was safe to light the grill again, the ol' Cedar plank Salmon surfaces for another attack!!!!:uglyhamme:uglyhamme

M-Funf
04-25-2006, 05:53 PM
This is by FAR the best meatloaf recipe I've ever made. It can be toned down a bit, but it is truly awesome! I have made this many times for people who said they don't "do" meatloaf, only to have them convert and ask for the recipe...

Seasoning Mix:

2 medium bay leaves
1 Tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon cayenne
1 teaspoon black pepper
½ teaspoon white pepper
½ teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg

Ingredients:

4 Tablespoons unsalted butter
¾ cup finely chopped onion
½ cup finely chopped celery
½ cup finely chopped bell pepper
¼ cup finely chopped green onions
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
½ cup evaporated milk
½ cup ketchup
1½ pounds. ground beef
½ pound Ground pork
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 cups very fine dry bread crumbs

Preheat the oven to 350º.

Combine the seasoning mix in a bowl and set aside.

Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the celery, onion, bell pepper, green onions, garlic, Worcestershire sauce and seasoning mix. Sauté until mixture starts sticking extensively, about 6 minutes, stirring occasionally and scraping the bottom of the saucepan frequently. Stir in the milk and ketchup. Continue cooking for about 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and allow mixture to return to room temperature.

Place the ground beef and pork in an ungreased 13x9-inch baking pan. Add the eggs, the cooked veggie mixture (removing the bay leaves) and the bread crumbs. Mix by hand until thoroughly combined. In the center of the pan, shape the mixture into a loaf that is about 1½" high, 6" wide and 12" long.

Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 25 minutes, then raise the heat to 400 degrees and continue cooking until done, about 35 minutes longer.

Serve with "Very Hot Cajun Sauce for Beef" from the same book/chef:

Serving Size : 6

3/4 cup Chopped onions
1/2 cup Chopped green peppers
1/4 cup Chopped celery
1/4 cup Vegetable oil
1/4 cup + 1 Tbsp all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon Ground cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon White pepper
1/2 teaspoon Black pepper
2 Bay leaves
1/4 cup Minced jalapeno peppers
1 teaspoon Minced garlic
3 cups Basic beef stock

NOTE: Fresh jalapenos are preferred...

In a heavy 2-quart saucepan heat the oil over medium-low heat to about 250F. With a metal whisk, whisk in the flour a little at a time until smooth. Continue cooking, whisking constantly, until roux is light brown, about 2 to 3 minutes. Be careful not to let the roux scorch or splash on your skin.

Remove from heat and with a spoon immediately stir in the vegetable mixture and the red, white and black peppers; return pan to high heat and cook about 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add the bay leaves, jalapeno peppers and garlic, stirring well. Continue cooking about 2 minutes, stirring constantly. (the mixture should be pasty.)

Remove from heat.

In a separate 2-quart saucepan, bring the stock to a boil. Add the roux mixture by spoonfuls to the boiling stock, stirring until dissolved between each addition.

Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and cook until the sauce reduces to 3-1/2 cups, about 15 minutes.

Skim any oil from the top and serve immediately.

:toast:

M-Funf
04-25-2006, 05:54 PM
If you are referring to the Hedgehog...You are right.

He stopped by the restaurant where my sister works with a couple of his...ahem..."actresses". Evidently they got a little out of hand, some pictures were taken, and yada-yada-yada...there were arrests...

bradamerry
04-25-2006, 05:56 PM
I'll add this, if anybody cares...

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=2753&highlight=bar-b-que+sauce

04-25-2006, 06:47 PM
He stopped by the restaurant where my sister works with a couple of his...ahem..."actresses". Evidently they got a little out of hand, some pictures were taken, and yada-yada-yada...there were arrests...
THats hilarious!

tex
04-30-2006, 10:27 PM
I got this out of Food and Wine. It is easy and your significant other will think that you are a mastercraft cook.

Basil Leaves Stuffed with Chèvre and Pine Nuts
FAST
TOTAL TIME: 25 MIN
MAKES 20 HORS D'OEUVRES
ingredients
1/2 cup pine nuts
4 ounces soft goat cheese, at room temperature
2 tablespoons heavy cream
Salt and freshly ground pepper
20 large unblemished basil leaves, about 3 inches long
1 medium tomato, finely chopped
Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling

directions
In a small, dry skillet, toast the pine nuts over low heat, shaking the pan occasionally, until golden and fragrant, about 3 minutes; let cool.
In a small bowl, mix the goat cheese with the heavy cream and season with salt and pepper.
Spread 1 teaspoon of the cheese on each basil leaf. Sprinkle with the pine nuts, pressing them into the cheese. Scatter the chopped tomato on top. Pinch each leaf together near the center to form slightly rounded bowls. Drizzle lightly with olive oil and serve.

tex
07-26-2006, 11:09 PM
I just went out to check the salmon...it was black and on fire...Wild Salmon at $18.00 a lb. Let's just say I dropped numerous F-bombs and a $20 dollar bill went into the yard by the way of a spatula!
By luck I spent $40 at the market and I can go by one of my safe recipes. The wife has about had it with me! Anybody got a sofa?

The new dog went out in the yard yesterday. He came walking up with the cedar plank from this episode in his mouth. I guess it went into the bushes when I pitched it in the air. I just cracked up!

tex
09-02-2006, 08:22 PM
I just whipped up some tekilla shrimp. I threw some large peeled shrimp in a bag, tossed tekilla and lime juice on top...pitched in some Mrs. Dash, a shake of red pepper flakes and chili powder. a little lemon pepper and they rock. My wife and mother and law could not eat them to the temp. but I love them!

Hoosier Bob
09-02-2006, 10:01 PM
How is the knee wildman? Man I wish you were my wife! next time I am in Texas you have some cookin' to do. I will bring Lisa for the other stuff!;) I just whipped up some tekilla shrimp. I threw some large peeled shrimp in a bag, tossed tekilla and lime juice on top...pitched in some Mrs. Dash, a shake of red pepper flakes and chili powder. a little lemon pepper and they rock. My wife and mother and law could not eat them to the temp. but I love them!

tex
09-02-2006, 11:12 PM
The knee is doing better. I am no where near skiing! Baby steps! I just drive for my friends and try and have a good time Come to Texas and make sure you bring Lisa![/U]

shepherd
09-02-2006, 11:18 PM
I just whipped up some tekilla shrimp. I threw some large peeled shrimp in a bag, tossed tekilla and lime juice on top...pitched in some Mrs. Dash, a shake of red pepper flakes and chili powder. a little lemon pepper and they rock. My wife and mother and law could not eat them to the temp. but I love them!

Hmmmmm.... Tex-in a nice way fu! enjoy!

tex
09-16-2006, 08:58 PM
My wife cannot eat garlic so I replaced the garlic with a heap of lemon pepper. It made this thing very spicy. It rocked and is very easy! Red wine helps!

2 teaspoons olive oil
Cooking spray
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
2 cups chopped plum tomato
1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil
1/3 cup chopped pitted kalamata olives
2 tablespoons capers, drained
4 cups hot cooked angel hair pasta (about 8 ounces uncooked pasta)
1/4 cup (2 ounces) crumbled feta cheese

Heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add garlic; sauté 30 seconds. Add shrimp; sauté 1 minute. Add tomato and basil; reduce heat, and simmer 3 minutes or until tomato is tender. Stir in kalamata olives, capers, and black pepper.
Combine shrimp mixture and pasta in a large bowl; toss well. Top with cheese.

tex
09-29-2006, 11:19 PM
2 cups packed fresh basil leaves
2 cloves garlic
1/4 cup pine nuts
2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1/2 cup freshly grated Pecorino cheese (see Cook's Note)

Combine the basil, garlic, and pine nuts in a food processor and pulse until coarsely chopped. Add the 1/2 cup of the oil and process until fully incorporated and smooth. Season with salt and pepper. If freezing, transfer to an air-tight container and drizzle remaining oil over the top. Freeze for up to 3 months.
Thaw and stir in cheese.
COOKS NOTE: If using immediately, add all the oil and pulse until smooth. Transfer the pesto to a large serving bowl and mix in the cheese.

I put this on top of grilled salmon tonight. It rocked. I did squeeze some extra lemon juice into it!

tex
01-20-2007, 10:12 PM
I'm fix'n to eat up on a new salmon recipe. If it's good, I'll post it. I did steaks last night and I WILL post that later.

sanjuan23
01-20-2007, 10:15 PM
Tex your gonna have to give me a decent salmon recipe because I dont know how people eat that fish.... I just cant get past it for some reason.

tex
01-20-2007, 10:19 PM
This rocked.
1 1/2 cups balsamic vinegar
3 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons butter
6 (5 to 6-ounce) filet mignon steaks (each about 1-inch thick)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 ounces soft fresh goat cheese

Boil the balsamic vinegar and sugar in a heavy small saucepan over medium-high heat until reduced to 1/3 cup, stirring occasionally, about 18 minutes.
Meanwhile, preheat the broiler. Melt the butter in a heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle the steaks with salt and pepper. Cook the steaks to desired doneness, about 3 minutes per side for medium-rare. Transfer the steaks to a baking sheet. Crumble the cheese over the steaks and broil just until the cheese melts, about 1 minute. Sprinkle with pepper.

Transfer the steaks to plates. Drizzle the balsamic sauce around the steaks and serve.

I cooked it with this.

1 tablespoon butter
4 pounds russet potatoes, peeled, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 cup whole milk
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
1 1/2 cups grated mozzarella
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan
2 tablespoons plain dry bread crumbs

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Coat a 13 by 9 by 2-inch baking dish with 1 tablespoon of butter and set aside.
Cook the potatoes in a large pot of boiling salted water until they are very tender, about 15 minutes. Drain; return the potatoes to the same pot and mash well. Mix in the milk and melted butter. Mix in the mozzarella and 3/4 cup of the Parmesan. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper. Transfer the potatoes to the prepared baking dish. Stir the bread crumbs and remaining 1/4 cup of Parmesan in a small bowl to blend. Sprinkle the bread crumb mixture over the mashed potatoes. Recipe can be prepared up to this point 6 hours ahead of time; cover and chill.

Bake, uncovered, until the topping is golden brown, about 20 minutes

Panty dropper!

Hoosier Bob
01-20-2007, 10:58 PM
That sounds awesome. Nice job explaining Tex as I think I could do it!

tex
01-20-2007, 11:00 PM
Tex your gonna have to give me a decent salmon recipe because I dont know how people eat that fish.... I just cant get past it for some reason.
1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1 1/2 teaspoons orange juice
6 tablespoons (3/4 sti butter, softened
1 green onion, minced
2 tablespoons minced fresh gingerroot
2 tablespoons minced parsley
3 tablespoons bread crumbs
1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
1 green onion, sliced
olive oil for cooking
4 (8 ounce) skinless salmon fillets

Combine the lemon juice, orange juice, butter, minced green onion and gingerroot in a small bowl and mix well. Chill until ready to use. Combine the parsley, bread crumbs, garlic salt and sliced green onion in a small bowl and mix well.

Heat the oven to 450 degrees. Pour a small amount of oil in a large ovenproof skillet. Heat over medium-high heat until very hot. Add the salmon and cook for 1 minute or until browned on 1 side. Dip the browned side in the parsley mixture. Return to skillet, cooked-side up.

Place the skillet in the oven and roast for 4 to 6 minutes. Check for doneness by flaking the salmon with a knife. Roast for 1 minute longer if needed. Place the salmon on a platter. Top each fillet with a pat of the Citrus-Ginger Butter.

shepherd
01-21-2007, 12:15 AM
OK. Here's a reeeaaallly easy one we made tonight, if you can get your hands on some good fresh shrimp and mango. I don't know what the "turmeric" stuff is, but I found it in the spice drawer and it tasted good!

SHRIMP WITH MANGO AND BASIL

1 # large shrimp peeled and deveined, tails left on
salt
¼ to ½ teasp. Cayenne pepper
¼ tsp. ground turmeric
1 Tablesp. Olive oil
1 large firm mango, diced into ½ inch cubes
1 bunch scallions, tender green parts only, thinly sliced
¼ cup firmly packed basil leaves, finely chopped
Jasmine (Thai) rice
In a medium bowl combine shrimp, salt to taste, cayenne pepper and turmeric, mixing to coat evenly. Cover and refrigerate for about 15 min.
Heat oil in a large, nonstick skillet or work over medium-high heat until it is shimmering. Add shrimp in a single layer (may have to cook it in batches). Cook until undersides turn pink, about 1 min. Turn over and cook for 1 min. Add mango, scallions and basil and cook, stirring until the shrimp is just cooked through and starts to curl, 1 to 2 min. Serve immediately with Jasmine rice.

MarkP
01-21-2007, 09:44 AM
This is a new thread where Tex will submit good ole TX cookin' for ole Hoosier Bob and others. This is food talk and all concerns and questions regarding food prep, presentation and service should and will be directed here!
Thanks Tex! :D
That’s all well and good HB. Just don’t make a focaccia of yourself

BriEOD
01-21-2007, 01:47 PM
That looks good MarkP, however it would be considerablly better on a Big Green Egg. ;)

MarkP
01-21-2007, 02:29 PM
That looks good MarkP, however it would be considerablly better on a Big Green Egg. ;)
Everything is better that way! Well unless your in Texas that is.. In Texas they use that BGE to lay under the wheel of the grill to keep it from rolling down the driveway when its not hooked up to the pickup truck.http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/images/icons/icon14.gif.

André
01-21-2007, 02:32 PM
Hi Mark!
This place miss you...
Still got that best job in the world?

MarkP
01-21-2007, 03:47 PM
Hey André
Sure do!!

We look in on this thread all the time.. Two of them kids just got a year older and we made some shrimp from the tex cook book at the birthday party. Worked out well. Thanks tex!

BriEOD
01-21-2007, 04:45 PM
Everything is better that way! Well unless your in Texas that is.. In Texas they use that BGE to lay under the wheel of the grill to keep it from rolling down the driveway when its not hooked up to the pickup truck.http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/images/icons/icon14.gif.

You're a dork!

Hoosier Bob
01-21-2007, 10:47 PM
I knew you were qu***! You ain't gonna focaccian anybody! You Italian breadstick you!8p

After we Focaccia can I have some of that Pizza?:o
That’s all well and good HB. Just don’t make a focaccia of yourself

Maristar210
01-23-2007, 09:40 AM
1# Chicken Breast
1# Jalepeno Jack Cheese
1 Cup Salsa (Desired Strength)
1/2 Cup Sour Cream
Cut up Jalepeno's to taste

Cook chicken slowly and then shred simmer all ingredients and eat.

Makes 6 cups

Steve

suedv
08-03-2007, 01:42 PM
Tex, it's been a long time since we've seen any new recipes. Is there anything good cooking up?

tex
08-03-2007, 01:53 PM
You know, not much lately. It's hard to cook on crutches! I love to cook and this has been very hard on me. Let me see what I've been able to do lately. I'll be right back!

tex
08-03-2007, 01:59 PM
OK-I did make this the other night. I got the recipe out of Southern Living. It's fast and easy. The wife can't eat garlic so I deleted it. It still tastes great but I bet it would rock even more with the garlic. I put extra lemon juice in it!

Ingredients
1/3 cup butter or margarine
2 green onions, sliced
4 large garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 3/4 pounds large fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
12 ounces angel hair pasta, cooked

Preparation
Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat; add green onions, minced garlic, lemon rind, lemon juice, and salt; cook garlic mixture 2 to 3 minutes or until bubbly.
Reduce heat to medium; add shrimp, and cook, stirring constantly, 5 minutes or just until shrimp turn pink. Stir in parsley and hot sauce. Toss with hot pasta.

Prep: 10 min., Cook: 8 min.
Yield
Makes 4 servings

suedv
08-03-2007, 02:25 PM
That does sound good. You're right. Cooking and crutches aren't a great combination. Frustrating isn't it. Several years ago I was on crutches after foot surgery. I carried everything in a backpack.

Looking at your recipe I don't think a pot of boiling pasta would be so good on the back. Ouch!

fintek9
08-03-2007, 02:34 PM
Interesting this came up. what you got for a good Texas chili recipe?
have a lake chili cook off coming up...and want to do it with venison!
a thick and rich version.

tex
08-03-2007, 02:54 PM
I really don't have much expertise with Chili besides eating it. Sorry.

fintek9
08-03-2007, 03:02 PM
OMG :shocked: Tex + Texas = chili I would think!

tex
08-26-2007, 12:25 PM
Ok guys/gals-Since I'm now walking, I'm back in the kitchen. The sister and brother in law are coming over today and want some type of shrimp. I cook for them all the time so they know all my usual stuff. Somebody send me a good shrimp recipe!

TX.X-30 fan
08-26-2007, 01:32 PM
Ok guys/gals-Since I'm now walking, I'm back in the kitchen. The sister and brother in law are coming over today and want some type of shrimp. I cook for them all the time so they know all my usual stuff. Somebody send me a good shrimp recipe!

SEAFOOD RECIPE: Panko Crusted Shrimp

1/2-cup flour
1/2-tsp salt
1/2-tsp pepper
1/2-tsp garlic powder
3-eggs, beaten
3-tbsp milk
2-tbsp parsley, chopped
1/2-tsp salt
1-cup Panko breadcrumbs
24 jumbo shrimp, shelled, de-veined & tail on
4-cups olive oil for frying

Add flour, 1/2-tsp salt, 1/2-tsp pepper & 1/2-tsp garlic powder to a bowl
Mix
Beat together the eggs, milk, 1/2-tsp salt, & parsley in another bowl
Put Panko breadcrumbs in another bowl
Dredge the shrimp first in the seasoned flour, then the egg mixture, and finally coat with breadcrumbs
Pour oil into a heavy bottomed skillet and heat
Add the shrimp in batches into the hot oil
Fry shrimp until golden, about 1-2 minutes
Transfer to plate lined with paper towels
Serve with seafood sauce

This stuff makes a good dipping sauce with for the shrimp.

tex
08-26-2007, 01:48 PM
Thanks-The wife changed her mind and wants my pesto shrimp!

tex
08-28-2007, 10:11 PM
I'm back in the kitchen.

How about some pork chops?

Ingredients

3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
6 (3/4-inch-thick) boneless pork chops
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 garlic cloves, pressed
1 (14 1/2-ounce) can chicken broth
1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
Garnish: fresh rosemary sprigs

Preparation

Combine flour, 1 teaspoon rosemary, salt, and pepper. Dredge pork chops in flour mixture.

Melt butter with oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat; add garlic, and sauté 1 minute. Add pork chops, and cook 4 minutes on each side or until golden. Remove pork chops.

Add broth and vinegar, stirring to loosen particles from bottom of skillet. Cook 6 minutes or until liquid is reduced by half. Add pork chops, and cook 5 minutes or until done. Serve over rice. Garnish, if desired.

I did this with some mashed taters. I dumped some green tabasco sauce into the taters without telling Ms. Tex. She loved it!

RK@UST
08-29-2007, 08:07 AM
1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1 1/2 teaspoons orange juice
6 tablespoons (3/4 sti butter, softened
1 green onion, minced
2 tablespoons minced fresh gingerroot
2 tablespoons minced parsley
3 tablespoons bread crumbs
1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
1 green onion, sliced
olive oil for cooking
4 (8 ounce) skinless salmon fillets

Combine the lemon juice, orange juice, butter, minced green onion and gingerroot in a small bowl and mix well. Chill until ready to use. Combine the parsley, bread crumbs, garlic salt and sliced green onion in a small bowl and mix well.

Heat the oven to 450 degrees. Pour a small amount of oil in a large ovenproof skillet. Heat over medium-high heat until very hot. Add the salmon and cook for 1 minute or until browned on 1 side. Dip the browned side in the parsley mixture. Return to skillet, cooked-side up.

Place the skillet in the oven and roast for 4 to 6 minutes. Check for doneness by flaking the salmon with a knife. Roast for 1 minute longer if needed. Place the salmon on a platter. Top each fillet with a pat of the Citrus-Ginger Butter.
To me, overcooking salmon is the most common mistake and any fish for that matter.
But salmon for sure is better rare. Of course if the right grade, I like it raw too.

RK@UST
08-29-2007, 08:13 AM
Tex, sorry this was supposed to be directed to sanjaun23 in a previous post about not being a big fan of salmon. I accidently replied to your reply. :confused:

08-29-2007, 08:22 AM
I'm back in the kitchen.

How about some pork chops?

I thought Steveo said we werent supposed to eat pork! :eek3:

8p

TX.X-30 fan
08-29-2007, 09:33 AM
I thought Steveo said we werent supposed to eat pork! :eek3:

8p

Pork is a major food group..... yooper! :mad:

tex
09-06-2007, 09:31 PM
A little steak talk. I've gotten into rubs. Here is something simple that I love. I use the Whiskey Steak rub that you buy at Cabalos. I dump some of that into a gallon freezer bag with lemon pepper. I also throw in freshly cut rosemary. I shake it up and grill it. It sounds simple but everybody here loves it. The fresh rosemary is the key! Shake and bake baby! Red wine in your hand helps too!

tex
10-31-2007, 11:09 PM
Ohh yes!

Flat Iron Steak Marinade

3 tablespoons honey
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
3 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon tarragon
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
1 dash salt

Pound out steak and it will rock!
Whisk all ingredients together, pour over 1 pound of steak and marinade for at least 3 hours, turning each hour.
Grill over med-high about 6 minutes per side.

tex
11-24-2007, 09:58 PM
If you have shashimi grade tuna, try this.

Pan-Seared Tuna with Lime Pepper Crust

4 tuna steaks (3/4 to 1-inch thick, about 6 ounces each)
Zest and juice of one (1) lime
2 teaspoons dried thyme leaves
1/2 to 1 teaspoons coarsely ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 to 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
Extra-virgin olive oil

NOTE: You can substitute 1 1/2 teaspoons grated lemon zest and 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice in place of the lime.

Rinse the tuna steaks and pat dry with paper towels. Grate the zest from the lime (you should have about 1 1/2 teaspoons), then squeeze the juice and set aside.

In a small bowl, combine lime zest, thyme, pepper and salt; stir to mix. Lightly rub both sides of the tuna steaks with olive oil. Rub the seasoning mix on the tuna steaks; coating them well.

Using a heavy bottomed sauté pan or a cast-iron pan, warm the olive oil. Increase the heat to high and place the tuna in the pan. Sear for 1 minute, then turn over carefully, reducing the heat to medium. Sear the other side for 1 more minute until medium rare. (Do not overcook the tuna or the meat will become dry and lose its flavor.) Pour the lime juice over the tuna steaks right after you take them from the stove, then serve.

Makes 4 servings.

Poor a great martini on top of it!

Leroy
11-24-2007, 10:12 PM
That sounds great Tex, I love tuna cooked rare!

tex
11-24-2007, 10:27 PM
That sounds great Tex, I love tuna cooked rare!
The wife was not to keen on the idea but loved it!

Leroy
11-24-2007, 10:31 PM
I think she is playing with you.

The wife was not to keen on the idea but loved it!

suedv
11-24-2007, 10:48 PM
This thread makes me hungry.

tex
11-24-2007, 11:19 PM
I think she is playing with you.
No, she doesn't like rare food. I tried to explain to her but she ended up loving it! It's so nice to be off crutches and be able to mix a good cocktail and cook!

TX.X-30 fan
11-25-2007, 12:11 PM
No, she doesn't like rare food. I tried to explain to her but she ended up loving it! It's so nice to be off crutches and be able to mix a good cocktail and cook!

Does she make you burn her steaks. :mad: Wife used to do that but now gets pissed if I drunk grill it past medium-rare. :D

Last night was 2 veal chops, 3 small lamb chops, Salt and course cracked pepper rubbed in and let it sit on the counter for an hour. Broiled at 1500 couple minutes on each side, let the cast iron pan preheat for 15 min. Remove rub with butter and let them rest 5-10min.
Served with steamed asparagus (crisp) loaded baked potato.

Not gourmet, but was a carnivores wet dream. :D

Forgot the wife did make a red wine and mushroom reduction (kept it on the side though).

Lunch was margaritas and cabrito al pastor at Cadillac Bar. Leftovers will not suck today. ;)

tex
11-25-2007, 12:16 PM
She hates them burned but likes them medium. I like my steaks rare. I always laugh about a time we had a big party at a high end Dallas steakhouse. People at our table freaked when I ordered my steak rare. As the evening wore on we were passing around pieces of our steaks. They didn't know which one was mine. They all ate the rare steak and kept raving how tender and flavorful it was. I waited til after dinner drinks to tell them!

tex
12-09-2007, 05:36 PM
The new smoker is hard at work!

Ingredients

1 3 1/2 Pound whole chicken
2 Ounces fresh mild goat
-cheese; (2 to 3)
1 Tablespoon prepared pesto
8 basil leaves (8-10)
*FANCY MOP (OPTIONAL)
1 Cup chicken stock
1/2 Cup white wine
1/2 Cup water
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 Tablespoon prepared pesto

Instructions

Serves 3

the night before you plan to barbecue, remove the
organs from the cavity of the chicken. Massage the chicken thoroughly with
the cheese and pestO, inside and out, working them as far as possible under
the skin without tearing it. Insert the basil leaves under the skin,
placing
them as evenly as possible over the chick-en. If you wish, truss the
chicken. Place the chicken in a plastic bag and refrigerate it overnight.

Prepare the smoker for barbecuing, bringing the temperature to 200 F to 220
F.

Remove the chicken from the refrigerator aNd let it sit at room temperature
for about 30 minutes. If you plan to baste the chicken, mix together the
mop
ingredients in a saucepan. Keep the mop warm over low heat.

Transfer the chicken to the smoker, breast down. Cook for 3 1/4 to 4 hours,
basting the chicken with the mop, 30 minutes in a wood-burning pit, or as
appropriate for your style of smacker. Turn the bird breast side up about,
halfway through the cooking time. When the chicken is done, its legs will
move freely and the internal temperature should be 180 F to 185 F.

Let the chicken sit for 5 to 10 minutes. Remove the skin, carve the
chicken,
and serve it.

sand2snow22
12-09-2007, 11:39 PM
Great stuff, Tex...

Easy salmon:

Find your favorite pesto out of a jar, apply to top of salmon fillet, bake for 20-25 minutes.

cbryan70
12-10-2007, 12:35 AM
alright im cooking dinner for the gf's parents and mine.....any ideas? somthing good but simple. itialian? we were thinking mancotti, dont have a smoker, no fish

tex
12-10-2007, 10:28 AM
Great stuff, Tex...

Easy salmon:

Find your favorite pesto out of a jar, apply to top of salmon fillet, bake for 20-25 minutes.
I have an easy pesto receipe that we do that with. One of my favorites!

tex
12-10-2007, 10:36 AM
alright im cooking dinner for the gf's parents and mine.....any ideas? somthing good but simple. itialian? we were thinking mancotti, dont have a smoker, no fish
Here's something easy but will look fancy!

Chicken Piccata Pasta Toss Recipe

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 1/3 pounds chicken breast tenders, cut into 1-inch pieces
Salt and pepper
1 1/2 tablespoons butter
4 cloves garlic, chopped
2 shallots, chopped
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 cup white wine
1 lemon, juiced
1 cup chicken broth or stock
3 tablespoons capers, drained
1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley, chopped
1 pound penne rigate pasta, cooked to al dente
Chopped or snipped chives, for garnish

Heat a deep nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add a tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil and the chicken to the pan. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Brown chicken until lightly golden all over, about 5 to 6 minutes. Remove chicken from pan and return the skillet to the heat. Reduce heat to medium. Add another tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil and 1 tablespoon butter, the garlic and shallots to the skillet. Saute garlic and shallots 3 minutes. Add flour and cook 2 minutes. Whisk in wine and reduce liquid 1 minute. Whisk lemon juice and broth into sauce. Stir in capers and parsley. When the liquid comes to a bubble, add remaining 1/2 tablespoon butter to the sauce to give it a little shine. Add chicken back to the pan and heat through, 1 to 2 minutes. Toss hot pasta with chicken and sauce and serve. Adjust salt and pepper, to your taste. Top with fresh snipped chives.

tex
12-10-2007, 10:40 AM
Flat Iron Steak with Red Wine Sauce

2 (1-pound) flat iron steaks or tri-tip steaks
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for garnish
6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
1 onion, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 cup tomato paste
2 1/2 cups dry red wine

Prepare the grill or barbecue (medium-high heat). Sprinkle the steaks with salt and pepper and drizzle with the 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Grill to desired doneness, about 5 minutes per side for medium-rare. Transfer the steaks to a cutting board. Tent with foil and let stand 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a heavy large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onions and saute until tender, about 5 minutes. Season with salt. Add the garlic and oregano and saute until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in the tomato paste and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Whisk in the wine. Simmer until the sauce reduces by half, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes. Remove the skillet from the heat. Strain the sauce into a small bowl, pressing on the solids to extract as much liquid as possible. Discard the solids in the strainer and return the sauce to the saucepan and bring back to a slow simmer. Cut the remaining 4 tablespoons of butter into small 1/2-inch chunks and whisk in the sauce a little at a time. Season the sauce, to taste, with salt and pepper.

Thinly slice the steaks across the grain. Divide the steak slices among 6 plates. Drizzle the sauce over the steak, drizzle a little more extra-virgin olive oil and serve.

Flat iron steak is cheap and is the new trendy meat to serve. Dad's will love it and mom's will freak at how tender it is. I pound it out before cooking!

tex
12-22-2007, 03:35 PM
OK, short story before this recipe. My grandmother passed away just before Christmas last year. She was famous for bringing horrible deviled eggs to the family Christmas every year. Somebody would have to eat them and it always was a joke because we would make a big deal out of them and she thought they rocked. Well when we gathered for Christmas after her death...I was the smart ars who showed up and brought a big dish of deviled eggs. We have a very twisted sense of humor in our family so it pissed a couple of people off but the rest understood the humor and tribute. Well this year we got our invitation to the family Christmas and I have been assigned Deviled Eggs to bring! Here's to you Nanny! Merry Christmas and I hope you are enjoying a Pearl Light with Pa! These Deviled Eggs rock!!!!

Chicken Salad Deviled Eggs

Paprika Paprika
Ground black pepper Ground black pepper
2 T freh parsley leaves, minced 2 T freh parsley leaves, minced
2 T fresh-squeezed lemon juice 2 T fresh-squeezed lemon juice
3/4 c mayonnaise 3/4 c mayonnaise
2 scallions, white and green parts, minced 2 scallions, white and green parts, minced
2 medium celery ribs, cut into small dice 2 medium celery ribs, cut into small dice
6 eggs 6 eggs
Salt, divided Salt, divided
1 T vegetable oil 1 T vegetable oil
2 large whole, skin-on, bone-in, chicken breasts (at least 1-1/2 lb ea) 2 large whole, skin-on, bone-in, chicken breasts (at least 1-1/2 lb ea)

Added To Shopping List!Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

2. Set the breasts on a small foil-lined, rimmed baking sheet. Brush each breast with the oil and sprinkle generously with salt to taste. Roast in the oven for 35 to 40 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and place the chicken breasts on a wire rack to cool.

3. Meanwhile, place the eggs in a medium saucepan, cover with 1 inch of water and bring to a boil over high heat. Remove from the pan and let sit for 10 minutes, covered.

4. Fill a medium bowl with 1 quart of water and 1 tray of ice cubes. Transfer the eggs to the ice-water bath with a slotted spoon and let sit for 5 minutes. Crack and peel. Slice each egg in half lengthwise with a sharp, thin-bladed knife. Remove the yolks and place them in a large bowl. Arrange the whites on a serving platter, cut-sides up.

5. For the chicken, remove the skin and bones and discard. Use your hands to pull each breast apart and shred the meat into small chunks.

6. Mash the yolks with a fork and stir in the shredded chicken, celery, scallions, mayonnaise, lemon juice, and parsley. Mix well to combine. Add salt and pepper to taste.

7. Using a table spoon, scoop a generous amount of the chicken salad mixture into the egg white halves. (Save any leftover salad for sandwiches later.) Sprinkle each deviled egg with a dash of paprika. Store, covered, in refrigerator until ready to serve.

I just sauteed the chicken and put everything in the food processor!

Merry Christmas!!!!!

thijs
12-22-2007, 10:50 PM
The family Chili recipe. Great for the cold weather we have here right now.

1.5-2lbs ground beef
2 tbs onion flakes
2 tbs chili spice
1 tsp cayenne (I usually double this)
1 tsp paprika (I usually double this)
2 bay leaf
1-2 cans crushed italian seasoned tomatos
1-2 cans tomato soup paste
1 can kidney beans
1 can sliced mushrooms

Brown ground beef with onion flakes; drain; add everything else and simmer. Farts away.

This is simple, quick, cheap and warming.

tex
01-07-2008, 10:10 PM
Great Stir Fry

1 pound flank steak, sliced across the grain into 1/4-inch slices
4 tablespoons oil
2 large garlic cloves, minced
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 pound mixed vegetables, cut into 1/4-inch slices
1/4 cup beef broth
3 green onions, cut into 2-inch pieces
4 tablespoons of your favorite stir-fry sauce

Toss flank steak with 1 tablespoon oil, garlic, cornstarch and baking soda and set aside to marinate while preparing vegetables.

Heat wok or frying pan. When hot, add 3 tablespoons oil. Add steak strips to wok and stir-fry over high heat for a few minutes until rare. Transfer meat to a separate bowl and set aside.

Place vegetables in hot wok with the beef broth and stir-fry over high heat for 2 minutes. Return the steak to the pan along with the green onions and stir-fry for another minute. Stir in the stir-fry sauce and remove from heat. Serve with steamed rice.

tex
01-17-2008, 09:42 PM
Making old school chicken fried steak tonight!

TX.X-30 fan
01-17-2008, 09:47 PM
Making old school chicken fried steak tonight!

Please explain for the northern climates, and I can be there in 3 hrs!!!!

TX.X-30 fan
01-17-2008, 09:51 PM
Mashed potatoes, green beans, cream gravy????????

tex
01-17-2008, 10:46 PM
Chicken Fried Steak

Ingredients
1 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
2 teaspoons pepper, divided
1 to 1 1/2 pounds cubed round steaks
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup water
Vegetable oil
1 (14.5-ounce) can chicken broth

Preparation
Sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon each of salt and pepper evenly over steaks. Set aside.
Stir together remaining 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon pepper, and 1 1/2 cups flour in a shallow dish. Stir baking soda into 1 cup water in a bowl.

Dip each steak in water mixture, and dredge in flour mixture.

Pour oil to a depth of 1/2 inch in a large heavy skillet; heat to 360°. Fry steaks 3 to 4 minutes on each side or until golden. Drain on a wire rack in a jelly-roll pan. Keep steaks warm in a 225° oven. Drain hot oil, reserving cooked bits and 2 tablespoons drippings in skillet.

Whisk remaining 1/2 teaspoon pepper and remaining 1/4 cup flour into drippings in skillet; cook, whisking constantly, over medium-high heat 1 minute. Whisk in broth; cook, whisking constantly, 5 minutes or until thickened. Serve with steaks.

Yield
Makes 4 to 6 servings

I used lemon pepper where it asked for pepper. It came out tasty but was heavy on the salt side. Next time I will eliminate all salt...I love salt and it was too salty for me! I did mashed potatoes and peas!

TX.X-30 fan
01-18-2008, 07:48 AM
Good recipe Tex, water instead of milk and broth instead of milk and or cream for the gravy. I guess the crust is more like a pan fried steak than the thick crusted version.

tex
04-04-2008, 09:25 PM
I'm hungry..anybody got any new recipes?

TX.X-30 fan
04-04-2008, 09:44 PM
Open cooler remove can, open, Repeat as necessary!

Good luck compadre.

trickskier
04-04-2008, 09:52 PM
Open cooler remove can, open, Repeat as necessary!

Good luck compadre.
Works for me...............:friday:

TX.X-30 fan
04-04-2008, 09:56 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kE9gISp1y4

I love the rancho grande!!!!!!!!! Aheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee 8p

TX.X-30 fan
04-04-2008, 10:04 PM
Works for me...............:friday:

You on the water this weekend? I think that front has finally cleared us. We are hoping for Sunday 80's and light winds.

tex
04-11-2008, 08:30 PM
Tacos and burritos tonight...sipping cold keg beer out of a frosty glass! Nothing like home made mexican! Simple and great!

Slinkyredfoot
04-11-2008, 08:39 PM
Tacos and burritos tonight...sipping cold keg beer out of a frosty glass! Nothing like home made mexican! Simple and great!

Hey Tex, glad you are having a fun night tonight...

We cooked kabobs... chicken, shrimp, and magic mushrooms, on the grill this evening...very tasty...

drinking a tall boy and just smiling...life is good isn't it?

Cooler tonight with a chance of romance......

TX.X-30 fan
04-11-2008, 09:00 PM
I smoked a cabrito fore quarter last weekend pulled it and froze the f-er. So tonight my better half is making enchilada's and you guessed it they are stuffed with cabrito and cheese and onions of course.

Still in the assembly stage so I will have to report back.

You ask, I wonder what TX. is drinking...... Well I started with a few Lites and have since moved to the accompanying cocktail for Mehecano food and yes you guessed it Margarita's!

Hope the Taco's bel grande was good tex!!! :D

Edit: Hell slinky that sounded gooood. Do you saute the schrooms first.

tex
04-11-2008, 09:14 PM
Drinking refreshing miller lite out of the new kegerator! A little cooler tonight with the chiminia going and Itunes rocking the house. Friends are coming over to hang out later. I have an early morning with our club's boat certification at 9am!

TX.X-30 fan
04-11-2008, 09:22 PM
Does that mean you will be retiring early??

Just watched a guy boarding at last light, looks like he was going to ride it in. That water at dusk here has to be chilly. I do enjoy that last ride with the sunset.

tex
04-11-2008, 09:27 PM
No, I'll be dragging in tomorrow!

Slinkyredfoot
04-11-2008, 09:33 PM
Does that mean you will be retiring early??

Just watched a guy boarding at last light, looks like he was going to ride it in. That water at dusk here has to be chilly. I do enjoy that last ride with the sunset.

I do not board much but ski a lot..

Logged in for a reason, just can't remembeer why other than you crazy F's having fun like me......:D
The last ski at sunset, a very nice thought but thirty days away here....

TX.X-30 fan
04-11-2008, 09:39 PM
No, I'll be dragging in tomorrow!

As it should be. ;)

suedv
04-11-2008, 10:38 PM
Hey Tex, we have some jumpers at our house. :D Be prepared for jump questions as well as food talk. ;)

tex
04-12-2008, 12:13 AM
Hey Tex, we have some jumpers at our house. :D Be prepared for jump questions as well as food talk. ;)
Shoot em my way!

M-Funf
04-16-2008, 02:10 PM
We're pretty strict on food intake at our house, but the wife is out of town most of the week...

Last night I walked downtown, had a couple of Martinis, stopped by the local market, then went home to cook myself dinner...

12 oz. Rib Eye BBQ'd medium rare
baked potato with all the fixins
Grilled Asparagus in a white wine/butter/shallot glaze

Oh, and a martini side...:D

coz
04-16-2008, 02:19 PM
We're pretty strict on food intake at our house, but the wife is out of town most of the week...

Last night I walked downtown, had a couple of Martinis, stopped by the local market, then went home to cook myself dinner...

12 oz. Rib Eye BBQ'd medium rare
baked potato with all the fixins
Grilled Asparagus in a white wine/butter/shallot glaze

Oh, and a martini side...:D

Up to the asper-gas I'm with ya! :D that should be atleast 3 times a week.

M-Funf
04-16-2008, 02:26 PM
Up to the asper-gas I'm with ya!

What's wrong with Asparagus? Well, except the obvious :rolleyes:

coz
04-16-2008, 02:47 PM
What's wrong with Asparagus? Well, except the obvious :rolleyes:

I guess you have to aquire a taste for it. :rolleyes:

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1134/542393854_e3457da64f_b.jpg

Hey! what's that smell? :confused:

tex
04-20-2008, 11:07 PM
I put this on top of some rice and served it along side some wilted spinich. The sauce rocks!

INGREDIENTS:
4 tilapia fillets (about 1 pound)
4 tablespoons oil
2 tablespoons lime juice
zest of 2 limes
1 tablespoon fresh basil, minced
2 teaspoons bourbon
1 teaspoon salt
pepper to taste
PREPARATION:
Combine all ingredients except for the tilapia fillets in a resealable plastic bag. Turn to mix and add tilapia fillets. Seal and refrigerator for 30 minutes. Preheat grill. Pour marinade into a saucepan. Bring marinade to a low boil and remove from heat. Grill tilapia fillets for about 3 minutes per side over a high heat. When fish turns opaque remove from grill and serve with a few spoonfuls of marinade drizzled over top.

M-Funf
04-22-2008, 02:08 PM
pic of last week's dinner...

Wife is out of town again, so I'll do something nice tomorrow as well...:D

lanier92prostar
04-22-2008, 02:11 PM
That looks like our dinner on SAT!! Steak, grilled potato's and grilled asparagus, plus grilled garlic bread.

M-Funf
04-22-2008, 02:15 PM
I grill probably 2-3 times each week, rain or shine (the BBQ doesn't seem to care if it gets wet)...Maybe 4-5 times a week in the summer.

TX.X-30 fan
04-22-2008, 07:31 PM
Get enough sour cream on that tater dude????

M-Funf
04-22-2008, 07:38 PM
Get enough sour cream on that tater dude????

Fat Free :banana:

TX.X-30 fan
04-22-2008, 07:57 PM
Granola!!!!!!!!!!! 34009

tex
06-22-2008, 11:34 AM
Don't be afraid to add extra Bourbon or take a pull off the bottle while cooking.

Bourbon-Basted Pork Chops:D

2 lemons:
1/2 cup soy sauce
3 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons bourbon
1 tablespoon minced onion
1/4 teaspoon hot sauce(I used a lot more and used green tabasco)
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon lemon pepper
2 butterflyed pork chops
Small amount of fresh roughly chopped rosemary.

Cut lemons in half and squeeze the juice into a sauce pan. Toss lemon halves into pan. Add soy sauce and next 6 ingredients, stirring to combine. Bring to boil and then reduce heat and simmer for about 5 minutes.

Brush a small amount of sauce over chops and sprinkle rosemary on top of them. Grill chops over covered grill on medium high heat(350-400) for about 8 minutes a side basting often until done. Serve the rest of the sauce with the chops and some mashed taters letting the sauce run over onto the taters. You'll dig!

bbymgr
06-22-2008, 12:26 PM
Tex

Those pork chops sound excellent.....I'm going to try those tonight.

tex
07-09-2008, 10:15 PM
1/2 pound whole-wheat spaghetti pasta
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more for seasoning
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more for seasoning
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 (4-ounce) pieces salmon
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
3 tablespoons capers
1 lemon, zested
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 cups fresh baby spinach leaves

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, about 8 to 10 minutes. Drain pasta and transfer to a large bowl. Add the garlic, extra-virgin olive oil, salt, and pepper. Toss to combine.
Meanwhile, warm the olive oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Season the salmon with salt and pepper. Add the fish to the pan and cook until medium-rare, about 2 minutes per side, depending on the thickness of the fish. Remove the salmon from the pan.

Add the basil, capers, lemon zest, and lemon juice to the spaghetti mixture and toss to combine. Set out 4 serving plates or shallow bowls. Place 1/2 cup spinach in each bowl. Top with 1/4 of the pasta. Top each mound of pasta with a piece of salmon. Serve immediately

I didn't have capers so I pulled together some soy sauce mixed with a little fancy mustard. I poured it over the fish and let it set for awhile and then cooked it together to add some spice. It was great!

dapicatti
07-09-2008, 11:28 PM
This looks great. Can't wait to try it. Thanks Tex.

M-Funf
07-26-2008, 01:44 AM
Grilled Market Steak (Ribeye) with smashed (like me) potatoes, grilled asparagus...

Life is good...:banana:

atlfootr
07-27-2008, 06:54 PM
Grilled Market Steak (Ribeye) with smashed (like me) potatoes, grilled asparagus...

Life is good...:banana:
On the grill tonite ... top sirloin fillet
medium rare

tex
11-04-2008, 09:36 PM
I may have posted this before but who cares. I'm making it tonight with some talapia instead of salmon! Eat up!

Ingredients
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup sake
3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
1 tablespoon sugar
Four 6-ounce center-cut salmon fillets, with skin
1/2 pound fresh udon noodles
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 pound spinach, stems discarded
1 tablespoon sesame seeds, lightly toasted
Directions
In a small saucepan, combine the soy sauce, sake, lime juice, ginger and sugar and bring to a boil; stir to dissolve the sugar. Pour the marinade into a glass baking dish; let cool completely. Add the salmon, turn to coat and marinate for 1 to 4 hours, turning occasionally.
Preheat the broiler. Broil the salmon, skin side down, 5 inches from the heat until golden, about 3 minutes. Turn the fillets and broil for 4 minutes, or until the skin is crisp and the fish is not quite cooked through. Transfer to a plate.
In a medium saucepan of boiling water, cook the udon until heated through, 1 minute. Drain the noodles and transfer to soup bowls.
Heat the olive oil in a large skillet. Add the spinach by handfuls and cook over high heat, tossing, until wilted. Mound the spinach on the udon and top with the salmon. Spoon the cooking juices in the baking dish over the fish, sprinkle with the sesame seeds and serve.

mlay
11-05-2008, 10:44 AM
If anyone wants it, not sure where or when I obtained it, I have 330 of great resturants receipes. For example, Wendy's chili, Wendy's spicy chick sand, red lobsters shrimp, cheddar cheese biscuits...etc...like I said there are 300+ so hard to post here.

TMCNo1
03-18-2009, 06:44 PM
Anybody tried peeling potatoes this way, Click here: YouTube - Dawn Wells Potato Peeling Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4W0qIPJmoo)

JohnE
03-18-2009, 08:54 PM
Low Carb taters only for me number one...........

SkiDog
03-18-2009, 09:03 PM
I had some pretty damn good meals whilst on my hunting trip last weekend. Anybody ever had 'Froglegs'? How bout some Stone Crab?

JohnE
03-18-2009, 09:56 PM
Hey Dog, no pic's of dead peacocks or quails, eh?

Just a pretty gal with a platter........

shepherd
04-18-2009, 09:31 PM
We just grilled some salmon on a cedar plank tonight. Sprinkled the filet with some olive oil and Essence. And there's no better wine-food pairing than salmon and chardonnay. You guys in the NW have it made. I'd like to catch some fresh salmon and grill it the same day. That's got to be the best.

BriEOD
04-18-2009, 09:49 PM
Had filets, grilled shrimp and grilled mushrooms along with the Sam Adams Seasonal with our neighbors.

shepherd
04-18-2009, 09:58 PM
Sounds good Brian. What kind of filets? Cooked in the Egg?

Speaking of seafood -- I was up in MD last week and took my mother to O'Leary's in Annapolis (across the creek in Eastport actually). Excellent seafood place, a little upscale and pricey but worth it! If you haven't taken the Mrs. there yet, I highly recommend it.

BriEOD
04-18-2009, 10:01 PM
Hey Shep...

Some choice tenderloin cuts I picked up from the butcher. My neighbors were starting to think I was certifiable purchasing a second Egg. So, to refute their claims I fixed them dinner--all on the Egg. They got the picture!

I have been to O'Leary's. I can be there in about 20-25 minutes from my doorstep.

TX.X-30 fan
04-18-2009, 10:39 PM
Little 9lb. turkey that went in the brine last night and will be on the rotisserie tomorrow afternoon late.

TMCNo1
04-19-2009, 12:02 AM
Little 9lb. turkey that went in the brine last night and will be on the rotisserie tomorrow afternoon late.

Figured you was a Crotch Pot kind of guy!:rolleyes::D

TX.X-30 fan
04-19-2009, 01:23 AM
Not much crock potting here but some can do amazing stuff in the things.

tex
06-02-2009, 11:12 PM
Swordfish with citrus pestro
4 servings

Citrus pesto:
nocoupons
1 bunch fresh basil, stemmed (about 3 cups)
1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted
1 clove garlic
1 lemon, zested and juiced
1 orange, zested and juiced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 cup grated Parmesan
Swordfish:
nocoupons
4 (6-ounce) swordfish steaks
Extra-virgin olive oil
Directions
Blend the basil, pine nuts, garlic, zests, juices, salt, and pepper in a food processor until the mixture is finely chopped. With the machine running, gradually add the olive oil until the mixture is smooth and creamy. Transfer to a bowl and stir in the Parmesan.

Place a grill pan over medium-high heat or preheat a gas or charcoal grill. Brush both sides of the swordfish fillets with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill the swordfish about 3 to 4 minutes on each side for a 1-inch thick fillet.

Transfer the grilled swordfish to serving plates, top with the citrus pesto, and serve.

thwack
06-03-2009, 10:44 PM
Tenderloin Roll-Ups

I know it may sound crazy by you should give it a try. For any of you deer hunters out there, deer tenderloin is what I use and it comes out pretty sweet.

Ingredients
1. Tenderloin slices
2. Brown sugar
3. Cream cheese
4. Jalapenos
5. Bacon
6. Plenty of toothpicks

Preparation
1. Pound the tenderloin slices as thin as possible with a meat tenderizing hammer
2. Coat tenderloin slices with brown sugar
3. Place cream cheese (amount to suit your taste) and 1 sliced jalapeno in middle of tenderloin
4. Seer bacon slightly to ensure it cooks properly when baking
5. Roll up tenderloin and completely wrap with bacon
6. Insert toothpicks to hold together
7. Place in shallow baking pan and cover with aluminum foil
8. Poke multiple holes in aluminum foil
9. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 - 30 minutes depending on oven

You may hate it, but then again, you may not.
6. Brown

tex
06-22-2009, 10:17 PM
Fish Tacos

Ingredients:
4 pieces fresh halibut, steak or filets, 6 to 8 ounces each
Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
Salt and pepper
1 lime, juiced
3 small to medium ripe Haas avocados, pitted and scooped from skins with a large spoon
1 lemon, juiced
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 cup plain yogurt
1 teaspoon coarse salt
2 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
2 scallions, thinly sliced on an angle
1 heart Romaine lettuce
12 soft (6-inch) flour tortillas

Directions:

Preheat a grill pan or indoor grill to high heat or, prepare outdoor grill. Drizzle halibut with extra-virgin olive oil to keep fish from sticking to the grill pan or grill. Season fish with salt and pepper, to your taste. Roll lime on the counter top to get juices flowing. Also, any under ripe citrus may be placed in a microwave oven for 10 seconds at high setting to induce the juices to flow. Grill fish 4 to 5 minutes on each side or until opaque. Squeeze the juice of 1 lime down over the fish and remove from the grill pan or grill. Flake fish into large chunks with a fork.

While fish is cooking, in a blender or food processor, combine avocado flesh, lemon juice, cayenne pepper, yogurt and salt. Process guacamole sauce until smooth. Remove guacamole sauce to a bowl and stir in diced tomatoes and chopped scallions. Shred lettuce and reserve.

When fish comes off the grill pan or grill, blister and heat soft taco wraps. To assemble, break up fish and pile some of the meat into soft shells and slather with guacamole sauce. Top with shredded lettuce, fold tacos over and eat!

Hoosier Bob
06-22-2009, 10:21 PM
It has been awhile since I have had anything but prison food! Thanks Tex!

TMCNo1
06-22-2009, 10:32 PM
It has been awhile since I have had anything but prison food! Thanks Tex!

You tryin' to tell us they don't let you cook out on the grill in solitary confinement?:rolleyes::D

Hoosier Bob
06-22-2009, 10:35 PM
We can do all kinds of cooking as long as we do not use fire or anything that can catch fire.:(You tryin' to tell us they don't let you cook out on the grill in solitary confinement?:rolleyes::D

tex
10-28-2009, 07:04 PM
A pork chop receipe that I found. It rocks and my is soaking now!

TMCNo1
12-30-2009, 01:54 PM
Once again this holiday, I have had requests for my Tequila Christmas Cake Recipe so here goes: Please keep in your files as I am getting tired of typing this up every year!

1 cup sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1 cup water
1 tsp. salt
1 cup brown sugar
Lemon juice
4 large eggs
Nuts
1 bottle tequila
2 cups dried fruit

Sample the tequila to check quality. Take a large bowl; check the tequila again to be sure it is of the highest quality..

Repeat.

Turn on the electric mixer. Beat one cup of butter in a large fluffy bowl.
Add 1 teaspoon of sugar. Beat again.

At this point, it is best to make sure the tequila is sstill OK. Try another cup just in case.
Turn off the mixerer thingy.

Break 2 eegs and add to the bowl and chuck iin the cup of dried fruit.
Pick the fruit up off the floor.

Mix on the turner.

If the fried druit getas stuck in the beaterers, just pry it loose with a drewscriver.

Sample the tequila to test for tonsisticity.

Next, sift 2 cups of salt, or something.

Check the tequila.
Now shift the lemon juice and strain your nuts.

Add one table.
Add a spoon of sugar, or somefink. Whatever you can find.

Greash the oven.

Turn the cake tin 360 degrees and try not to fall over.

Don't forget to beat off the turner.

Finally, throw the bowl through the window.
Finish the tequila and wipe the counter with the cat.

Cherry Mistmas and Mappy Yew Near

thatsmrmastercraft
12-30-2009, 02:41 PM
Once again this holiday, I have had requests for my Tequila Christmas Cake Recipe so here goes: Please keep in your files as I am getting tired of typing this up every year!

1 cup sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1 cup water
1 tsp. salt
1 cup brown sugar
Lemon juice
4 large eggs
Nuts
1 bottle tequila
2 cups dried fruit

Sample the tequila to check quality. Take a large bowl; check the tequila again to be sure it is of the highest quality..

Repeat.

Turn on the electric mixer. Beat one cup of butter in a large fluffy bowl.
Add 1 teaspoon of sugar. Beat again.

At this point, it is best to make sure the tequila is sstill OK. Try another cup just in case.
Turn off the mixerer thingy.

Break 2 eegs and add to the bowl and chuck iin the cup of dried fruit.
Pick the fruit up off the floor.

Mix on the turner.

If the fried druit getas stuck in the beaterers, just pry it loose with a drewscriver.

Sample the tequila to test for tonsisticity.

Next, sift 2 cups of salt, or something.

Check the tequila.
Now shift the lemon juice and strain your nuts.

Add one table.
Add a spoon of sugar, or somefink. Whatever you can find.

Greash the oven.

Turn the cake tin 360 degrees and try not to fall over.

Don't forget to beat off the turner.

Finally, throw the bowl through the window.
Finish the tequila and wipe the counter with the cat.

Cherry Mistmas and Mappy Yew Near

Always brings a tear to my eyes!

tex
02-23-2010, 05:04 PM
Beef Stew...Quick and good-I tossed out the Pearl Onions and put 4 stalks of celery!

Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1 1/2 cups stew and 1 tablespoon parsley)

Ingredients
2 teaspoons olive oil
2 pounds sirloin steak, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 cup finely chopped onion (about 1 medium)
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 1/2 cups fat-free, less-sodium beef broth
4 cups cubed red potato (1 1/2 pounds)
2 cups sliced carrot
3/4 cup pinot noir or other spicy dry red wine
2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
1 (16-ounce) package frozen pearl onions
1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes, undrained
1 rosemary sprig
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
Preparation
Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add beef; cook 5 minutes or until browned, stirring frequently. Remove beef from pan, reserving 1 tablespoon of drippings in pan. Add onion and garlic to pan; sauté 2 minutes or until onion begins to brown. Add tomato paste; cook 1 minute, stirring frequently. Add broth; bring to a boil. Return meat to pan. Add potato and next 7 ingredients (through bay leaf); bring to a simmer. Cover and cook 1 hour and 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally. Discard rosemary and bay leaf. Stir in salt and pepper. Top with parsley.

tex
02-23-2010, 05:28 PM
I just read through this thread...some good receipes....keep them coming!!!!

tex
03-02-2010, 06:23 PM
We are doing this on the BGE tonight!

Zesty Tilapia

Ingredients
6 (6-ounce) tilapia fillets
6 tablespoons olive oil, plus additional for brushing
1 tablespoon grated orange zest
6 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
1 teaspoon hot sauce, to taste
1 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground black pepper

Directions
Place the fish in a large nonmetal dish. Whisk together the 6 tablespoons oil, the orange zest, orange juice, ginger, hot sauce, salt, and pepper, to taste; pour over the fish. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for 30 to 60 minutes.

Meanwhile, prepare grill. Brush the fish with additional oil. Grill until fish just flakes when tested with a fork, about 5 minutes per side for each inch of thickness.

tex
05-09-2010, 10:36 PM
Grilled pesto shrimp

Skewers
2 cups uncooked penne or mostaccioli pasta
1 lb uncooked deveined peeled large shrimp (tail shells removed)
2 medium zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch slices
1 cup cherry tomatoes
1/2 cup basil pesto
1 oz shredded fresh Parmesan cheese (1/4 cup)
1.Cook pasta as directed on package. Drain; place in large serving bowl or dish.

2.Meanwhile, heat gas or charcoal grill. In large bowl, mix shrimp, zucchini, tomatoes and 1/4 cup of the pesto; stir gently to coat well. Thread shrimp, zucchini and tomatoes onto skewers.

3.Place skewers on grill over medium heat. Cook 6 to 8 minutes, turning once, until shrimp turn pink and opaque and vegetables are crisp-tender.

4.Remove shrimp and vegetables from skewers; add to pasta. Add remaining 1/4 cup pesto; toss gently to mix. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.

tex
09-26-2010, 10:44 AM
On the Big Green Egg last night-Greatness

Grilled Chicken with Basil Dressing

Ingredients
2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, plus 1/4 cup
1 1/2 teaspoons fennel seeds, coarsely crushed
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
3 bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts
1 cup lightly packed fresh basil leaves
1 large garlic clove
1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
Directions
Whisk 1/3 cup of oil, 3 tablespoons of lemon juice, fennel seeds, 3/4 teaspoon of salt, and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper in a resalable plastic bag. Add the chicken and seal the bag. Massage the marinade into the chicken. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes and up to 1 day, turning the chicken occasionally.

Meanwhile, blend the basil, garlic, lemon peel, remaining 1/4 cup lemon juice, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in a blender until smooth. Gradually blend in the remaining 1/3 cup oil. Season the basil sauce, to taste, with more salt and pepper, if desired.

Prepare the barbecue for medium-high heat or preheat a grill pan over medium-high heat. Remove chicken from the marinade. Discard the marinade. Grill the chicken until just cooked through, about 8 minutes per side. Transfer the chicken to serving plates, drizzle with the basil sauce and serve.

tex
10-02-2010, 10:33 PM
I whipped up #84 tonight...F'n great! Bump

thatsmrmastercraft
10-02-2010, 10:40 PM
Cajun pork chops on the grill. Was too hungry to stop to take pics.

tex
10-02-2010, 11:21 PM

Recipe????

TX.X-30 fan
10-03-2010, 01:35 PM
Thick sliced Coon-A$$ grilled over medium coals

thatsmrmastercraft
10-03-2010, 05:03 PM

Recipe????

Went the quick route with a liberal amount of Luzianne Cajun Seasoning on both sides. I hate one-sided tasting food.

Slinkyredfoot
10-03-2010, 05:37 PM

Never had thick sliced variety, how does it taste?

bbymgr
10-03-2010, 05:43 PM

Is that dark meat or white meat?:rolleyes:

thatsmrmastercraft
10-03-2010, 10:11 PM

In an old cookbook I saw a recipe for coonfeffer. Evidently a hillbilly version of hossenfeffer, which is a German braised rabbit dish with red pepper. The recipe started with soaking the prepared coon meat in milk for three days. I laughed so hard I don't remember anymore of the recipe after that. If I can find it, I will post it for you coon aficionados.

TX.X-30 fan
10-04-2010, 08:13 PM
In an old cookbook I saw a recipe for coonfeffer. Evidently a hillbilly version of hossenfeffer, which is a German braised rabbit dish with red pepper. The recipe started with soaking the prepared coon meat in milk for three days. I laughed so hard I don't remember anymore of the recipe after that. If I can find it, I will post it for you coon aficionados.

I have seen one smoked and it was nasty greasy looking rodent meat, I passed.:D

TX.X-30 fan
10-04-2010, 08:14 PM
They do have a pecker-bone that looks kinda like a tooth-pick when cleaned

tex
10-05-2010, 09:09 PM
Flank Steak Tacos on the BGE

Ingredients
Steak:
1 (2 to 3-pound) flank steak
1/2 cup tequila
1/2 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tablespoon ancho chili powder
Kosher salt and black pepper
Guacamole:
3 avocados
1 small red onion, finely diced
1 serrano pepper, minced with seeds
1/2 cup roughly chopped cilantro leaves, plus whole leaves for garnish
2 to 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
Kosher salt
To Assemble:
Corn tortillas
1 head romaine lettuce, coarsely shredded
2 tomatoes, roughly chopped
1 white onion, diced
Directions
Put the steak in a nonreactive dish and pour over the tequila, lime juice and olive oil. Turn to coat. Add the chili powder, and use your hands to work it into the meat. Let stand about 1 hour.

Preheat the grill to high. Remove the steak from the marinade and season with salt and pepper. Grill, covered, turning once, 3 to 4 minutes per side for medium rare.

Halve the avocados and scoop the flesh into a bowl. Add the remaining ingredients and use a fork to mash to a chunky mix.

Remove the steak from the grill and rest 5 to 10 minutes. Slice across the grain. Heat the tortillas to soften. Fill the tortillas with steak, lettuce, tomato, onion and guacamole

TX.X-30 fan
10-05-2010, 09:15 PM
Never had thick sliced variety, how does it taste?

Have to slow smoke them, make sure to remove any BP checks prior to roasting........;)

tex
11-10-2010, 10:33 PM
Chicken Piccata

Ingredients
2 skinless and boneless chicken breasts, butterflied and then cut in half
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
All-purpose flour, for dredging
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup chicken stock
1/4 cup brined capers, rinsed
1/3 cup fresh parsley, chopped
Directions
Season chicken with salt and pepper. Dredge chicken in flour and shake off excess.

In a large skillet over medium high heat, melt 2 tablespoons of butter with 3 tablespoons olive oil. When butter and oil start to sizzle, add 2 pieces of chicken and cook for 3 minutes. When chicken is browned, flip and cook other side for 3 minutes. Remove and transfer to plate. Melt 2 more tablespoons butter and add another 2 tablespoons olive oil. When butter and oil start to sizzle, add the other 2 pieces of chicken and brown both sides in same manner. Remove pan from heat and add chicken to the plate.

Into the pan add the lemon juice, stock and capers. Return to stove and bring to boil, scraping up brown bits from the pan for extra flavor. Check for seasoning. Return all the chicken to the pan and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove chicken to platter. Add remaining 2 tablespoons butter to sauce and whisk vigorously. Pour sauce over chicken and garnish with parsley.

tex
02-06-2011, 02:25 PM
What are you cats doing for grubb on SuperBowl Sunday? I need pictures!!!

milkmania
02-06-2011, 02:32 PM
What are you cats doing for grubb on SuperBowl Sunday? I need pictures!!!

Is that this weekend:confused:

tex
02-06-2011, 03:41 PM
I know...hard to follow without the Cowboys!

thatsmrmastercraft
03-26-2011, 10:33 PM
Chicken Kabobs tonight. Apple wood smoked thick sliced bacon wrapped around chicken breast cubes seasoned with Luzianne Cajun Seasoning with pineapple chunks to offset the heat.

TX.X-30 fan
03-26-2011, 11:26 PM
Looks good FNG, was that your serving?

TX.X-30 fan
03-26-2011, 11:26 PM
Good thing piggy wasn't there. Hi Bryan..........:D

thatsmrmastercraft
03-26-2011, 11:31 PM
Looks good FNG, was that your serving?

It was good Stoo. Didn't quite finish it myself. :rolleyes:

Covi
03-27-2011, 02:36 PM
It was good Stoo. Didn't quite finish it myself. :rolleyes:

Did you do anything to the chicken prior to grilling. I'm going to try it tonight but, I'm nervous the bacon will burn and the chix wont cook through?

thatsmrmastercraft
03-27-2011, 02:43 PM
Did you do anything to the chicken prior to grilling. I'm going to try it tonight but, I'm nervous the bacon will burn and the chix wont cook through?

Rubbed down the chicken with some Emeril's Original Essence. As long as you don't have a super hot fire it works out great. this is my usual method for cooking duck and goose. Make sure to use some thick sliced bacon. Thin cut bacon will cook too fast. You might marinate the chicken in some Italian salad dressing first. Cut the chicken in to two inch cubes at the largest. Good luck and enjoy.

Covi
03-27-2011, 03:49 PM
10-4 will follow up.

TX.X-30 fan
03-27-2011, 04:03 PM
I think I would be more worried about the bacon not getting cooked than the chicken.

Covi
03-27-2011, 06:56 PM
Tasty! I think it came out great. Wife and 3 year old seem to enjoy it also. Not a lot of talking at the table tonight.

TX you are right about the bacon. I was concerned about it catching fire. Next time I think I wont pack them as tight on the skewer. It might allow it to crisp more.

thatsmrmastercraft
03-27-2011, 07:05 PM
Tasty! I think it came out great. Wife and 3 year old seem to enjoy it also. Not a lot of talking at the table tonight.

TX you are right about the bacon. I was concerned about it catching fire. Next time I think I wont pack them as tight on the skewer. It might allow it to crisp more.

Forgot to mention that pineapple chunks work better. They go on the skewer easier and allow for a little more room between pieces of bacon. Looks like it worked out reasonably well.

Covi
03-27-2011, 07:18 PM
I did include the pineapple. They are hard to see in the photos. Delicious! I often include pineapple on the grill regardless what's cooking!

tex
03-27-2011, 07:29 PM
Good to see people cooking well. I'm on a diet so not so much exciting food in the Tex household!

thatsmrmastercraft
03-27-2011, 07:38 PM
I did include the pineapple. They are hard to see in the photos. Delicious! I often include pineapple on the grill regardless what's cooking!

I saw the pineapple, but it looks like you used the rings instead of the chunks. Just my preference.

tex
08-07-2011, 08:21 PM
I've got the shaker in hand and getting ready to get my drink and cook on!!!

Tilapia Piccata

Ingredients
8 ounces uncooked orzo (about 1 1/2 cups)
3/4 cup grape tomatoes, halved
1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1/4 teaspoon black pepper, divided
4 (6-ounce) tilapia fillets
3 tablespoons butter, divided
1/4 cup white wine
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon drained capers

Preparation
Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain; stir in tomatoes, 1/4 teaspoon salt, parsley, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Set aside and keep warm.
Combine remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, remaining 1/8 teaspoon pepper, and flour in a large shallow dish. Dredge fish in flour mixture. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add fish to pan; cook 1 1/2 minutes on each side or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork or until desired degree of doneness. Remove fish from pan; keep warm.
Add wine, juice, and capers to pan; cook 30 seconds. Remove from heat. Add remaining 2 tablespoons butter to pan; stir until butter melts. Serve fish with sauce and pasta.

thatsmrmastercraft
08-08-2011, 12:04 AM
I've got the shaker in hand and getting ready to get my drink and cook on!!!

Tilapia Piccata

Ingredients
8 ounces uncooked orzo (about 1 1/2 cups)
3/4 cup grape tomatoes, halved
1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1/4 teaspoon black pepper, divided
4 (6-ounce) tilapia fillets
3 tablespoons butter, divided
1/4 cup white wine
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon drained capers

Preparation
Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain; stir in tomatoes, 1/4 teaspoon salt, parsley, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Set aside and keep warm.
Combine remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, remaining 1/8 teaspoon pepper, and flour in a large shallow dish. Dredge fish in flour mixture. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add fish to pan; cook 1 1/2 minutes on each side or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork or until desired degree of doneness. Remove fish from pan; keep warm.
Add wine, juice, and capers to pan; cook 30 seconds. Remove from heat. Add remaining 2 tablespoons butter to pan; stir until butter melts. Serve fish with sauce and pasta.

Sounds great Tex.............now I'm hungry.

tex
09-06-2011, 09:37 PM
Something a little healthy.

Grilled Chicken with Rustic Mustard Cream

Ingredients
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon whole-grain Dijon mustard, divided
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
4 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
Cooking spray
3 tablespoons light mayonnaise
1 tablespoon water
Rosemary sprigs (optional)

Preparation
1. Prepare grill.
2. Combine 1 teaspoon mustard, oil, and next 3 ingredients in a small bowl; brush evenly over chicken. Place chicken on grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 6 minutes on each side or until done.
3. While chicken grills, combine 1 tablespoon mustard, mayonnaise, and 1 tablespoon water in a bowl. Serve mustard cream with grilled chicken. Garnish with rosemary sprigs, if desired.

thatsmrmastercraft
09-07-2011, 12:47 AM
Hard to believe you posted a recipe that I wouldn't even consider tex. I am anti-mustard so this one doesn't do it for me....but no fault of yours. Every other recipe has been mouth watering.

tex
09-27-2011, 11:14 PM
More Health

Lemon-Olive Grilled Chicken

Ingredients
Cooking spray
4 (4-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
1 1/2 teaspoons grated lemon rind, divided
2 tablespoons honey mustard
1 (14-ounce) can fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
1 cup whole-wheat couscous
1/4 cup sliced pimiento-stuffed olives
1/4 cup sliced pitted kalamata olives
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons olive oil
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Preparation

1. Prepare grill.

2. Coat grill with cooking spray. Place chicken on grill. Cook 5 minutes per side or until chicken is cooked through. Combine 1 teaspoon lemon rind with mustard; brush over chicken.

3. Bring the chicken broth to a boil in a saucepan. Stir in the couscous. Remove from heat; cover, let stand 5 minutes.

4. In a bowl, combine remaining lemon rind, olives, and remaining ingredients. Stir couscous into olive mixture. Spoon onto 4 plates; top with chicken.

Wine note: With its rustic spiciness and zingy acidity, no other grape goes better with olives than sangiovese, the grape in Italian Chianti. So look for a good Chianti such as Da Vinci (around $16).

M-Funf
09-27-2011, 11:55 PM
More Health

Lemon-Olive Grilled Chicken

Ingredients
Cooking spray
4 (4-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
1 1/2 teaspoons grated lemon rind, divided
1 (14-ounce) can fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
1 cup whole-wheat couscous
1/4 cup sliced pimiento-stuffed olives
1/4 cup sliced pitted kalamata olives
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons olive oil
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Preparation

1. Prepare grill.

2. Coat grill with cooking spray. Place chicken on grill. Cook 5 minutes per side or until chicken is cooked through. Combine 1 teaspoon lemon rind with mustard; brush over chicken.

3. Bring the chicken broth to a boil in a saucepan. Stir in the couscous. Remove from heat; cover, let stand 5 minutes.

4. In a bowl, combine remaining lemon rind, olives, and remaining ingredients. Stir couscous into olive mixture. Spoon onto 4 plates; top with chicken.

Wine note: With its rustic spiciness and zingy acidity, no other grape goes better with olives than sangiovese, the grape in Italian Chianti. So look for a good Chianti such as Da Vinci (around $16).

Nice recipe Tex!!

Good to see this thread is still alive!

Keep 'em comin

tex
09-28-2011, 07:13 AM
Nice recipe Tex!!

Good to see this thread is still alive!

Keep 'em comin

Thanks-Did the chicken on the big green egg. Very good and healthy!

tex
10-30-2011, 11:46 AM
For you M-Funf!!!

Mexican Martini

◦2 oz. Tequila – Use a good silver tequila. The light color makes it look better.
◦1 1/2 oz. Cointreau or Grand Marnier.
◦2 oz. Lime Juice. Don’t use a mix for this drink. Sweet and Sour will ruin it.
◦1 oz. Orange Juice.
◦1 splash Sprite
◦1 splash olive juice – or more to taste.
◦Jalapeno stuffed olives!

How To Make It:

Fill a cocktail shaker with ice. Shake it and strain it into a BIG cocktail glass with a salted rim. Spear a few jalapeno stuffed olives and garnish the drink. Serve it up.

This is a really delicious drink that packs quite a punch. You can experiment until you get what you feel is the right blend of flavors. Certain people I know like it with a LOT of olive juice. That variation of the drink we call the Dirty Mexican.

But use these guidelines when experimenting:
◦Use good tequila
◦NEVER use sweet and sour
◦Jalapeno stuffed olives really pimp the drink out.

Glass: Big Cocktail glass

thatsmrmastercraft
10-31-2011, 12:27 AM
For you M-Funf!!!

Mexican Martini

◦2 oz. Tequila – Use a good silver tequila. The light color makes it look better.
◦1 1/2 oz. Cointreau or Grand Marnier.
◦2 oz. Lime Juice. Don’t use a mix for this drink. Sweet and Sour will ruin it.
◦1 oz. Orange Juice.
◦1 splash Sprite
◦1 splash olive juice – or more to taste.
◦Jalapeno stuffed olives!

How To Make It:

Fill a cocktail shaker with ice. Shake it and strain it into a BIG cocktail glass with a salted rim. Spear a few jalapeno stuffed olives and garnish the drink. Serve it up.

This is a really delicious drink that packs quite a punch. You can experiment until you get what you feel is the right blend of flavors. Certain people I know like it with a LOT of olive juice. That variation of the drink we call the Dirty Mexican.

But use these guidelines when experimenting:
◦Use good tequila
◦NEVER use sweet and sour
◦Jalapeno stuffed olives really pimp the drink out.

Glass: Big Cocktail glass

That sounds fantastic.

tex
11-27-2011, 10:15 PM
Chicken piccata!

Ingredients
2 skinless and boneless chicken breasts, butterflied and then cut in half
All-purpose flour, for dredging
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup chicken stock
1/4 cup brined capers, rinsed
1/3 cup fresh parsley, chopped

Directions

Season chicken with salt and pepper. Dredge chicken in flour and shake off excess.

In a large skillet over medium high heat, melt 2 tablespoons of butter with 3 tablespoons olive oil. When butter and oil start to sizzle, add 2 pieces of chicken and cook for 3 minutes. When chicken is browned, flip and cook other side for 3 minutes. Remove and transfer to plate. Melt 2 more tablespoons butter and add another 2 tablespoons olive oil. When butter and oil start to sizzle, add the other 2 pieces of chicken and brown both sides in same manner. Remove pan from heat and add chicken to the plate.

Into the pan add the lemon juice, stock and capers. Return to stove and bring to boil, scraping up brown bits from the pan for extra flavor. Check for seasoning. Return all the chicken to the pan and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove chicken to platter. Add remaining 2 tablespoons butter to sauce and whisk vigorously. Pour sauce over chicken and garnish with parsley.

tex
01-16-2012, 10:20 AM
Lemon-Basil Orzotto

I left out the heavy cream. Still great!

Ingredients
1 cup diced onion
1 1/2 cups orzo or pearl barley
1/2 cup dry white wine
3 cups chicken stock or low-sodium broth
1/2 cup frozen petite green peas
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons chiffonade fresh basil
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1/4 cup heavy cream
Juice of 1 lemon

In a heavy-bottomed medium saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and saute until fragrant and translucent. Add the orzo and toast for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the wine and cook until absorbed.

Gradually add the chicken stock, stirring frequently. Bring to a simmer, lower the heat, and cover. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes, until the liquid is almost absorbed and orzo is tender. Remove from the heat.

Stir in peas, Parmesan, fresh basil, lemon zest, heavy cream, and lemon juice. Season the orzo with salt and pepper, to taste, and serve.

tex
01-21-2012, 05:48 PM
Salmon in Lemon Brodetto with Pea Puree

Ingredients

Lemon Brodetto:
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 shallot, diced
2 lemons, juiced
1 lemon, zested
2 cups chicken broth
1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint leaves

Pea Puree:
2 cups frozen peas, thawed (about 10 ounces)
1/4 cup fresh mint leaves
1 clove garlic
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 cup grated Parmesan

Salmon:
1/4 cup olive oil
4 (4 to 6-ounce) pieces salmon
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper

Directions

To make the Lemon Brodetto, warm the olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the shallots and saute until tender, about 7 minutes. Add the lemon juice, zest, and broth. Bring to a simmer, and keep warm, covered, over low heat.

To make the Pea Puree, combine the peas, mint, garlic, salt, and pepper in a food processor and puree. With the machine running, add the olive oil in a steady drizzle. Transfer the pea puree to a small bowl and stir in the Parmesan. Set aside.

To make the Salmon, warm the olive oil in a large, heavy skillet over high heat. Season the salmon pieces with salt and pepper. Sear the salmon until a golden crust forms, about 4 to 5 minutes on the first side. Flip the fish and continue cooking until medium-rare, about 2 minutes more depending on the thickness of the fish.

To assemble the dish, add the tablespoon chopped mint to the Lemon Brodetto and divide between 4 shallow dishes. Place a large spoonful of Pea Puree into the center of each bowl. Place a salmon piece atop each mound of Pea Puree. Serve immediately.

tex
02-12-2012, 10:53 PM
F'n Good!

Filet Mignon with Rosemary and Mushroom Gravy

ingredients

4 servings
Steaks

Vegetable oil cooking spray

2 (8-ounce) filet mignon steaks

3 tablespoons olive oil

Gravy

2 tablespoons olive oil

2 large or 4 small shallots, minced

2 cups (about 5 ounces) assorted mushrooms, such as cremini, shiitake and button, coarsely chopped

½ cup dry Marsala wine

1 ½ cups low-sodium beef broth

1 ½ tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary leaves

1 ½ tablespoons all-purpose flour

3 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
instructions

Steaks

Put an oven rack in the center of the oven. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Spray a small baking sheet with vegetable oil cooking spray. Set aside. Season the steaks with salt and pepper, to taste. In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the steaks and brown on all sides, about 4 minutes. Transfer to the prepared baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes for medium-rare doneness. Let the steaks rest for 5 minutes on a cutting board.

Gravy

In the same skillet used for the steak, heat 2 tablespoons of oil over medium-high heat. Add the shallots and mushrooms and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Cook until the shallots are soft, about 5 minutes. Add the wine and scrape up the brown bits that cling to the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon. Cook until most of the liquid has evaporated, about 2 minutes. Stir in the beef broth and rosemary. Whisk in the flour until smooth. Bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until half of the liquid has evaporated and the sauce has thickened slightly, about 10 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the butter until smooth. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.

Cutting across the grain, slice the steak into 1/4-inch thick slices and arrange on a platter. Pour the sauce into a serving bowl and serve alongside the meat.

thatsmrmastercraft
02-12-2012, 11:48 PM
Another outstanding addition Tex.:toast:

tex
02-20-2012, 06:53 PM
Pork Chops with Fennel and Caper Sauce

Makes 4 servings

¼ cup olive oil
4 2-inch-thick boneless pork chops (about 2 pounds total)
¾ teaspoon salt, plus more for seasoning meat
¾ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more for seasoning meat
2 small fennel bulbs, stalks and fronds removed, thinly sliced crosswise (about 2 cups)
2 large shallots, thinly sliced
2/3 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
½ cup dry white wine
1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes, with their juices
½ lemon, zested
2 tablespoons drained capers

instructions

Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy skillet over high heat. Season the pork chops with salt and pepper and brown on both sides, about 4 minutes per side. Remove the pork from the pan, cover loosely with foil, and set aside. Add the fennel, shallots, and 1/3 cup of the chopped parsley to the same skillet and cook over medium heat until the fennel is beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Add the wine. Using a wooden spoon, scrape the brown bits off the bottom of the pan. Stir in the tomatoes, then return the pork to the pan, nestling the chops between the fennel and tomatoes so they are mostly submerged in the pan juices. Cook until the fennel is tender and the pork is done, about 12 to 15 minutes. Transfer the pork to a serving dish. To finish the sauce, add the lemon zest, remaining 1/3 cup of chopped parsley, capers, and 3/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Stir to combine. Spoon over the pork chops and serve immediately.

Never worked with Fennel? This might help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j76-xHiyrdM&feature=relmfu

tex
03-31-2012, 10:45 AM
Grill time tonight with the sister's latest....Any suggestions? Wife is being picky!

tex
10-06-2012, 09:54 PM
Shrimp & Pesto Pasta

8 ounces whole-wheat fettuccine
1 pound asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces (about 4 cups)
1/2 cup sliced jarred roasted red peppers
1/4 cup prepared pesto
2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 pound raw shrimp, (21-25 per pound), peeled and deveined
1 cup dry white wine
Freshly ground pepper, to taste

Preparation
1.Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add fettuccine and cook for 3 minutes less than the package directions specify. Add asparagus and continue cooking until the pasta and asparagus are just tender, about 3 minutes more. Reserving 1/4 cup of the cooking water, drain the fettuccine and asparagus and return to the pot. Stir in peppers and pesto. Cover to keep warm.
2.Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add shrimp and cook, stirring occasionally, until pink, about 3 minutes. Add wine, increase heat to high and continue cooking until the shrimp are curled and the wine is reduced, about 3 minutes. Add the shrimp and the reserved cooking water to the pasta; toss to coat. Season with pepper and serve immediately.

Nutrition

Per serving: 303 calories; 8 g fat ( 2 g sat , 4 g mono ); 115 mg cholesterol; 32 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 21 g protein; 6 g fiber; 284 mg sodium; 292 mg potassium.

Nutrition Bonus: Iron (20% daily value), Folate & Magnesium (16% dv), Calcium & Vitamin A (15% dv).

tex
12-22-2012, 05:32 PM
Need a solid side for Christmas dinner?

FRENCH QUARTER GREEN BEANS

• 3 (9-ounce) packages frozen French-style green beans
• 2 tablespoons butter
• 1 (10 ¾-ounce) can cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
• 1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
• 1 teaspoon dried onion flakes (or chips)
• 1 (8-ounce) can water chestnuts, drained and sliced
• ¼ teaspoon garlic salt
• ¼ teaspoon black pepper
• 1 ½ cups shredded Cheddar cheese
• 1 (2 ½-ounce) package slivered almonds
• Paprika

Cook green beans according to package directions, drain. Melt butter in a Dutch oven (or large pan); add soup and cream cheese. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until cream cheese is melted and mixture is smooth. Remove from heat; stir in green beans, onion flakes, water chestnuts, garlic salt, pepper, and shredded Cheddar cheese.
Spoon mixture into a lightly greased 1 3/4-quart casserole. Top with almonds; sprinkle with paprika. Bake, uncovered, at 375 degrees for 45 minutes.
Yield: 8 servings

Merry Christmas!

tex
06-29-2013, 07:41 PM
Cocktail time!

Grapefruit Gimlet.
◾1/4 cup Deep Eddy Ruby Red Vodka
◾1/4 cup Deep Eddy straight vodka
◾1/4 cup fresh lime juice
◾2 tablespoons Simple Syrup
◾Ice cubes
◾2 lime slices

Place first four ingredients in cocktail shaker; fill with ice. Cover and shake the hell out of it for a bit. Strain into two Martini glasses and garnish with lime slices.

thatsmrmastercraft
06-29-2013, 11:04 PM
Cocktail time!

Grapefruit Gimlet.
◾1/4 cup Deep Eddy Ruby Red Vodka
◾1/4 cup Deep Eddy straight vodka
◾1/4 cup fresh lime juice
◾2 tablespoons Simple Syrup
◾Ice cubes
◾2 lime slices

Place first four ingredients in cocktail shaker; fill with ice. Cover and shake the hell out of it for a bit. Strain into two Martini glasses and garnish with lime slices.

Sounds great Tex. haven't seen this thread for a while. :toast:

tex
06-30-2013, 12:14 AM
The kids on here just don't appreciate us old skool folks!

VP46
06-30-2013, 03:05 AM
Wow great thread!

tex
07-15-2013, 10:02 PM
What I'm slopping up now!

Steak!

Ingredients
•2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese plus Parmesan cheese shavings
•1 1/2 tablespoons butter, room temperature
•1 12-ounce rib-eye steak
•1 teaspoon olive oil
•1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
•1/4 cup finely chopped shallots
•1/2 teaspoon (packed) dark brown sugar
•4 cups (lightly packed) arugula
•2 large lemon wedges

Preparation

Mix grated cheese and butter in small bowl. Season generously with salt and pepper; set aside. Sprinkle steak generously with salt and pepper. Heat oil in medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add steak; cook to desired doneness, about 4 minutes per side for medium-rare. Transfer to plate. Add vinegar, shallots, and sugar to skillet; boil until reduced to glaze, stirring constantly, about 1 minute. Divide arugula and Parmesan shavings between 2 plates. Squeeze lemon over. Slice steak; place atop arugula. Top steak with Parmesan butter. Drizzle lightly with glaze.

tex
08-04-2013, 11:26 PM
Tilapia!

Ingredients
Nonstick cooking spray
2 (8-ounce) tilapia fillets
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon minced fresh basil leaves
1 teaspoon minced fresh oregano leaves
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon minced garlic
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 large tomato, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice

Directions

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Spray a shallow 1-quart baking dish with nonstick spray.

Sprinkle the fish evenly with salt and pepper. Arrange the tilapia in a baking dish and sprinkle evenly with basil, oregano, onion powder and garlic. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Arrange the tomato slices evenly over the fish, and drizzle with the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Bake until fish flakes easily with fork, about 20 to 25 minutes. Squeeze the lemon juice over fish and serve immediately.

thatsmrmastercraft
08-04-2013, 11:31 PM
OK, now I'm hungry for fish.http://www.fresh-hope.com/forums/images/smilies/tapping%20foot.gif

tex
08-12-2013, 10:42 PM
Pork Chops

Ingredients
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 garlic cloves, pressed
1/3 cup balsamic vinegar

Preparation
Combine flour, 1 teaspoon rosemary, salt, and pepper. Dredge pork chops in flour mixture.
Melt butter with oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat; add garlic, and sauté 1 minute. Add pork chops, and cook 4 minutes on each side or until golden. Remove pork chops.
Add broth and vinegar, stirring to loosen particles from bottom of skillet. Cook 6 minutes or until liquid is reduced by half. Add pork chops, and cook 5 minutes or until done. Serve over Potatoes. Garnish, if desired.

I did this and placed the chops on a bed of mashed potatoes.....Rocked!

thatsmrmastercraft
08-13-2013, 12:21 AM
Sounds fantastic, but now I'm hungry.......http://www.fresh-hope.com/forums/images/smilies/tapping%20foot.gif

TxsRiverRat
08-13-2013, 01:00 PM
Pork Chops

Ingredients
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 garlic cloves, pressed
1/3 cup balsamic vinegar

Preparation
Add broth and vinegar, stirring to loosen particles from bottom of skillet. Cook 6 minutes or until liquid is reduced by half. Add pork chops, and cook 5 minutes or until done. Serve over Potatoes. Garnish, if desired.

I did this and placed the chops on a bed of mashed potatoes.....Rocked!

I do mine on the grill:

1/2 cup water
1/3 cup light soy sauce
1/4 cup vegetable oil
3 tablespoons lemon pepper seasoning
2 garlic cloves, minced

marinate for an hour and toss on the grill :D

76S&S
08-13-2013, 01:11 PM
I do mine on the grill:

1/2 cup water
1/3 cup light soy sauce
1/4 cup vegetable oil
3 tablespoons lemon pepper seasoning
2 garlic cloves, minced
marinate for an hour and toss on the grill :D

and just how do you get all of that liquid to stay on the grill???:D

TxsRiverRat
08-13-2013, 01:47 PM
and just how do you get all of that liquid to stay on the grill???:D

hah - I do use the marinade to pour over it after each flip :)

tex
08-18-2013, 11:12 PM
More Pork Chops!

Ingredients
4 (1/2-inch-thick) bone-in pork loin chops

1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1 teaspoon chopped fresh sage

Preparation
1. Sprinkle chops evenly with salt and pepper, and place on a wire rack in an aluminum foil-lined broiler pan.
2. Stir together butter and next 3 ingredients in a small bowl until blended. Top each chop with 1 rounded Tbsp. butter mixture.
3. Broil 5 inches from heat 8 to 10 minutes or until a meat thermometer inserted into thickest portion registers 155°.

mikeg205
08-19-2013, 07:46 AM
hah - I do use the marinade to pour over it after each flip :)

grill them flip?

tex
11-12-2013, 11:15 PM
Simple Basil Chicken

Ingredients
3/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
4 skinned chicken breast halves
1/4 cup freshly chopped basil leaves, plus 2 tablespoons freshly minced basil leaves
1/3 cup (5 tablespoons) butter, melted, plus 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, at room temperature
1 tablespoon grated Parmesan
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
Fresh basil springs, optional

Directions

Prepare charcoal grill.

Press the coarsely ground pepper into the meaty side of the chicken breast halves. Stir the chopped basil into the melted butter. Brush the chicken lightly with this mixture. In a small bowl, combine the softened butter, minced basil, Parmesan, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Beat at low speed with an electric mixer until smoothly blended. Transfer to a small serving bowl; set aside.

Grill the chicken over medium coals for 8 to 10 minutes on each side, basting frequently with the remaining melted butter mixture.

Serve the grilled chicken with the basil-butter mixture. Garnish with fresh basil springs, if desired.

tex
12-01-2013, 04:31 PM
Great for lunch! Potatoes rock!

Ingredients
1/2 pound small red-skinned potatoes, halved
Kosher salt
2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
1/4 cup low-fat plain Greek yogurt
Freshly ground pepper
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
4 romaine hearts, torn
1 rotisserie chicken, skin removed and meat shredded (about 2 cups)
1 Kirby cucumber, peeled, halved lengthwise, seeded and sliced
4 radishes, cut into wedges
1 yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced

Directions
Place the potatoes in a small pot and cover with water. Season with salt, cover and boil until fork-tender, about 6 minutes. Drain and cool.

Meanwhile, pulse the chives, tarragon, vinegar, yogurt, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper to taste in a food processor. Slowly drizzle in the olive oil and pulse to make a thick dressing.

Toss the romaine, potatoes, chicken, cucumber, radishes and bell pepper with the dressing in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper.

tex
12-05-2013, 12:04 AM
Ingredients
1 pound spaghetti, store-bought
1 cup all-purpose flour
4 eggs, beaten
4 (8-ounce) veal cutlets
1 cup dry white wine
1 lemon, juiced
2 tablespoons capers, washed and drained
1/2 stick unsalted butter
2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
Grated parmesan, for garnish

Directions

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add spaghetti and cook until al dente. Drain and set aside in a large bowl

Set a large saute pan over medium heat and add 2 tablespoons of olive oil. In a shallow bowl combine the flour and salt and pepper, to taste. Lightly coat cutlets in the flour. Beat eggs in a bowl with 1 tablespoon of water and season with salt and pepper. Dip cutlets in egg wash and then place straight into the hot pan. Cook the veal about 2 minutes per side until golden brown. Set veal cutlets aside on a plate. Deglaze pan with white wine and reduce by half. Add lemon juice, capers, and half the parsley, then add 2 tablespoons butter as you whisk to thicken up the sauce. Taste and season with salt and pepper, if needed..

Toss the pasta with the remaining butter and season with salt and grated Parmesan, to taste.

Serve the pasta on plates topped with the veal. Drizzle with caper sauce and garnish with the remaining parsley.

tex
01-04-2014, 12:49 PM
New Year's Eve Salmon! Very Easy! Killed it!

Baked Herb Stuffed Salmon

Ingredients
Extra-virgin olive oil
2 medium salmon fillets, about 2 1/2 pounds (1.1 kilograms) skin on, scaled and pinboned
2 lemons
Bunch fresh marjoram
Bunch fresh dill
Bunch fresh basil
Handful stoned black olives
Bunch flat-leaf parsley

Directions

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C/gas 6).

Cut 5 lengths of string and lay them out on the work surface next to each another, leaving gaps in between. Sprinkle salt and pepper over the work surface, and drizzle with olive oil. Lay 1 salmon fillet, skin side down, on top. Sprinkle salt and pepper over the salmon, then, using a fine grater, grate the zest of 1 lemon over the top. On top of that lay the marjoram, dill, and basil, broken up, and the olives.

Season the flesh side of the other salmon fillet with salt and pepper, and grate over the second lemon. Place 1 fillet on top of the other, thin end to thick, then tie them together and trim the string. Put the fish parcel on an oiled baking tray, and scatter over any remaining bits of herb. Thinly slice the 2 lemons and place on top of and round the salmon. Drizzle with olive oil, then roughly chop the parsley and sprinkle over the top.

Bake in the preheated oven for about 20 minutes.

BriEOD
01-07-2014, 05:50 PM
What time should I be over to eat? #Hungry

TxsRiverRat
01-07-2014, 05:56 PM
salmon... might as well serve up battered and fried carp

lol

CantRepeat
01-07-2014, 06:14 PM

lol

Salmon has a completely different flavor then fish sticks.

tex
01-07-2014, 07:36 PM

lol

Now you know why you are never invited to dinner.

tex
05-04-2014, 03:19 PM
Easy app that people devoured last night!

Bacon-Wrapped Cocktail Sausages

Ingredients:

1 14-oz. package Lit’l Smokies

1 12-oz. package lean bacon

3/4 c. brown sugar

Instructions:

Preheat your oven to 325 and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Using a pair of kitchen shears, cut the slab of bacon into thirds.

Wrap 1/3 of each slice of bacon around each sausage and secure with a toothpick and place on the baking sheet.

Repeat with remaining sausages and bacon. When I was making these, the stars somehow aligned and this package of Lit’l Smokies and Hormel Black Label bacon matched up completely–no leftover bacon, no leftover sausage. Sprinkle brown sugar over sausages and bake at 325 for 40-45 minutes or until bacon has cooked and is starting to brown.

If you’re serving these at a party, they taste even better after a little time in the slow cooker on low heat. And that bacon grease that has co-mingled with the brown sugar? Let’s just not think about what it actually is and focus on how that salty-sweetness is a perfect glaze for these little suckers.

JMLVMI
05-04-2014, 03:59 PM
I do that in a 13x9 pan to make sure they marinate in that mystery concoction!