PDA

View Full Version : Platform Bracket is stuck

east tx skier
02-10-2006, 02:11 PM
Well, I've had this problem for about a year and haven't worried about it much. My swim platform bracket on the port side is stuck in the receiver and nothing seems to make it budge. Believe me, I've talked to it nicely, tapped it gently with a hammer, and squirted it with PB Blaster. It must have warped somehow. Anyone have this happen to them and get it unstuck by doing something I haven't mentioned?

Footin
02-10-2006, 02:12 PM
Try a bigger hammer!!!

I got nuttin.

Ric
02-10-2006, 02:14 PM
man that sucks
let it eat until late season and you make a deal on an 06TT boat!!

east tx skier
02-10-2006, 02:21 PM
Well, the only reason I take it off is to oil it at the beginning of the season. I can do it while it's on the boat, but I pretty much ignore the bottom if I do it this way.

I think I'll try really whacking it with a rubber mallet. Maybe with this little cool snap, the metal has contracted a bit.

AirJunky
02-10-2006, 02:23 PM
Unbolt the bracket from under the swimstep. Then remove the swimstep at that point, which will take the other bracket with it. Then negotiate with the stuck bracket without the swimstep on there. My guess is it's bound up due to the wood shrinking.

east tx skier
02-10-2006, 02:35 PM
Unbolt the bracket from under the swimstep. Then remove the swimstep at that point, which will take the other bracket with it. Then negotiate with the stuck bracket without the swimstep on there. My guess is it's bound up due to the wood shrinking.

Good idea. We'll see how much time I have on my hands this weekend.

parrish1
02-10-2006, 02:38 PM
You beat me to it Air Junky. Wood shrunk and its holding tight. Dont hammer as you are asking for it-mis-hit and you got yourself a gelcoat repair. I imagine you have corrosion of alloy metals against each other. Maybe liquid wrench or wd-40 would help.

P-hat_in_Cincy
02-10-2006, 02:39 PM

I agree. I have (had) a stuck bracket on our new boat. After lifting so hard that I pulled the screw out of the platform, I determine the setup was binding. So, I too would suggest unbolting the platform. I did so and also determined that the slotted channel had burrs that would grab the platform bracket. I filed the burrs down, drilled out my stripped screw holes, and filled back in with teak plugs. Then I put the bracket in place and put the swim platform back on (with the other bracket still mounted to it). I kind of let the bracket find its own new "home" and completed the reassembly by putting the screws back in.
Doing all this helped, but I still noticed that my bracket "scewed" when I put the screws back in. I'm wondering whether the mounting plate was attached to the boat at the proper angle, or the top surface of that platform bracket is angled improperly.

east tx skier
02-10-2006, 02:43 PM
Thanks all. I'll look into it this weekend. Removing the platform used to be a regular thing for me, so I don't think corrosion is the culprit. Plus, if PB can't get it out from som rust, I don't know what can.

I'll keep you posted on what I find. Thanks again everyone!

east tx skier
02-10-2006, 03:07 PM
Okay, one other question. When you used teak plugs, did you just pound them (gently) into the drilled out holes or did you use some sort of glue? Are the plugs the best option. Would epoxy work better or does it expand like gorilla glue does?

P-hat_in_Cincy
02-12-2006, 08:06 PM
Okay, one other question. When you used teak plugs, did you just pound them (gently) into the drilled out holes or did you use some sort of glue? Are the plugs the best option. Would epoxy work better or does it expand like gorilla glue does?

I used some sort of ahesive to hold the plugs in place, but I can't recall what it was. I know I did not use epoxy or grorilla glue tho.

firstmc
02-13-2006, 07:52 AM
i noticed if i didn't use 2 poeple to get it off... it would not come off. I used 2 people with 2 hammers and had to bring both sides up at the same time.. if one side was higher than the other it wouldn't budge... not sure it you tried that just my 2 cents!

kdr
02-13-2006, 08:47 AM
I just picked up my 205V last night and I went to take the platform off to refinish it and the brackets were binding. Apparently, someone "fixed" the loose swim platform by putting stainless washers between the brackets. I was able to work the port braket out, but the starboard is stuck good. It's like sticking a penny in a door jamb.

east tx skier
02-13-2006, 10:49 AM
i noticed if i didn't use 2 poeple to get it off... it would not come off. I used 2 people with 2 hammers and had to bring both sides up at the same time.. if one side was higher than the other it wouldn't budge... not sure it you tried that just my 2 cents!

You have to be pretty exact with it to get it off for sure, but I've had that happen before, and this is different.

JimN
02-13-2006, 11:40 AM
Doug- pour some beer on it. It works on people, right?

Teak plugs? Where the metal pins normally go?

If the brackets are bent enough, they will definitely bind so you may need to unscrew the platform from the bracket on one side and see if the other lets go. If not and both brackets are totally stuck, remove the platform and unscrew the mounts from the boat, put each bracket in a soft jawed vise and drive the mount off after letting some PB soak in. You'll see where the corrosion is making your life a living he!!.

P-hat_in_Cincy
02-13-2006, 12:27 PM
Teak plugs? Where the metal pins normally go?

If that question is referring to me...no. Again, I stripped the screws holding the teak platform to the angle brackets out. Therefore, I drilled out the stripped holes and put teak plugs back in place.

Clear as mud?

Cloaked
02-13-2006, 12:29 PM
............. Plus, if PB can't get it out from som rust, I don't know what can.
Oxy-acetylene.... :firejump:

Ric
02-13-2006, 12:37 PM
soooooo, did you get the brackets loose yet???

east tx skier
02-13-2006, 12:40 PM
Didn't even mess with it. But I'm getting the itch to get on the water (even though it was in the 20s last night). This will, however, motivate me to do some spring maintenance/cleaning this weekend.

Hooray for Presidents Day.

BriEOD
02-13-2006, 07:30 PM
Doug you have rust on your boat? Dude, they aren't going to let you be in Star again! 8p

east tx skier
02-13-2006, 11:20 PM
I've got some on my exhaust manifolds, but none on my brackets!

redmike
02-14-2006, 03:20 AM
maybe some 303 would have prevented that????

jraben8
02-14-2006, 03:34 AM
I have a similar problem but the transom bracket is actually cracked and beginning to pull apart on one side. I just hope that I can locate another one rather than having to purchase the entire set for the platform. I have already checked and IMO that gets rather expensive.

jimmer2880
02-14-2006, 06:07 AM
maybe some 303 would have prevented that????

:uglyhamme

east tx skier
02-20-2006, 04:34 PM
Well, just an update. You guys were right on the $$$. Unscrewed the stuck side and slid the other side off. The bracket on the "stuck" side slid right out as well. Ordered some teak plugs today and, meanwhile am sanding, cleaning, brightening and oiling. Well, not oiling yet. Waiting for the platform to dry and drinking a beer.

By the way, Happy Presidents' Day. Anyone else off today?

east tx skier
03-02-2006, 07:28 PM
Well a big thanks to Team Talk for solving yet another one of my problems. Got plugs and epoxy in the holes, set it back on the boat, redrilled two, screwed them on, pulled it off, redrilled and put the rest of the screws to it, and it slid on like an old pair of shoes. Thanks again! :toast:

BriEOD
03-02-2006, 07:31 PM
Doug,

At least wash your boat before you post a pic of it. ;)

east tx skier
03-02-2006, 07:39 PM
Actually, I had to give the transom beneath the platform a good shot of orange oil to get some of the junk off there that had sat on the boat for 2 seasons (since I couldn't get the platform off).

She's a dirty girl! ;)

milkmania
03-02-2006, 07:51 PM
Doug,

your bilge vents are like mine....

I took mine off, scuffed them up with green pad (both sides), and coated them with the spray on bediliner stuff Dupli-Color....turned out great with a textured effect. Cleaned up under the vents while they were off too.

http://www.levineautoparts.com/duptrucbedli.html

but, I found the stuff at wal-mart

I also coated my platform support arm brackets the same way..... have not had any flaking of coating yet on either application:headbang:

east tx skier
03-03-2006, 12:05 AM
Thanks, Milk. Really more the angle of the camera and the flash. They look black usually.

Wes
03-03-2006, 01:04 AM
Boat is looking great East, can't wait to get mine out of storage. Another month and half.

east tx skier
03-03-2006, 10:46 AM
Thanks. That water shot is from last year though. Mine's ready to go, but she's still eating oats in the barn.

Wes
03-03-2006, 03:49 PM
We have the same boat only the transom on mine needs constant polishing to keep it looking good. I bought a new decal from Rambo last year, that I am going to apply this year but I think I am going to get someone who know what they are doing to put it on. By the way, East, I had the alternator rebuilt this winter and the technician pointed out that they was not a ground wire on the alternator. He said that over time the ground becomes bad on the that year of MC and if your battery is not charging or if your radio cuts in and out when you turn the blower on, put a ground wire on. He installed a screw into the alternator and I am going to wire it to the starter ground. Thought you would like to know.

east tx skier
03-03-2006, 03:58 PM
Thanks for the info. It hasn't done it yet, but I'll keep an eye on it.

As for the decal, BriEOD did his recently and could probably give you some pointers. From doing the woodgrain decals on my old jeep, there are the tricks I know of.

Clean the surface well before reinstalling. Use tape to line it up or get it level or whatever. Probably won't be ard to spot where it was because the gel coat will be extra shiney. Finally, fill a spray bottle with soapy water and spray the application down really well. This will enable you to move the decal around and line it up right. Spray the topside of the decal well, too. Then, use a plastic "spatula" and run it over the decal to get all the air bubbles out.

JimN
03-03-2006, 04:22 PM
Wes- I doubt that the starter has a separate ground wire since it usually grounds through the bolts and the starter/block mating surface. The alternator usually grounds though the case to the block as well but if you run a new ground, look at the back of the motor for a stud with other grounds on it. Generally, if one acessory has a problem when another accessory is turned on, the problem is in the dash/accessory grounds, not the alternator, in my experience.

Wes
03-03-2006, 05:40 PM
Excellent Thanks both East and Jim, great advice. I will attach it to the block then.