PDA

View Full Version : Advise on what Wakeboard would be good

Quick
02-20-2016, 07:35 PM
I am a complete novice but have the urge to learn wake boarding. The older I get the more the slalom starts to hurt. I am 5'11 and 190 pounds. Not sure what brand size or anything when it comes to this. I have wakeboarded once and got right up but man did it feel weird. I was all over place, felt like I was sliding on ice and had no control. Any advice from all you pros would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Ben
02-20-2016, 07:49 PM
I'm not a pro at all. I wakeboard 2-10 times a year and ski a lot.
I just got a ronix vault last year to replace my 10 y/o cwb board. It came down to what was on sale at the time...
I'd look at evo.com or similar and find a package for $250-400.
For a new rider, I can't think it would make much difference.
What hurts to ski? Back, knees?
If knees and you are using direct drive, suggest trying 28off to get smaller / softer wake.
Warning: from my experience, wakeboard wipeouts (face plants) will ring your bell substantially more than a slalom crash or deep start. Also, jumping and landing a where but the down ramp hard on knees. It is fun to dink around with for sure though.

DavidF
02-20-2016, 08:51 PM
can't give an opinion on wakeboards but a buddy swears by Ronix for his wake surf board.

bandit628
02-20-2016, 09:12 PM
Look on Evo.com. On the search use the intermediate to beginner. Any of the major brands should be fine, they all have there beginner boards. Definitely don't go cheap on the bindings though. I would much rather have awesome bindings that fit and a mediocre board than vice versa.

GoneBoatN
02-20-2016, 10:04 PM
Not a pro but I'll chime in for some things for you to think about. Agree about looking for a decent deal on a board because you will most likely want to change in the not distant future.

Riding sideways is different than riding forward. Like Snow skiing vs snow boarding. Different. I find riding sideways wakeboarding so addictive. Oh, you think it will take less toll on your body... Go with it. Sometimes delusions are better than reality.

You were sliding all over the place because you most likely were not edging properly. A board with a center fin will help you with that but that is a crutch. You will want to get rid of the crutch as soon as possible. So get a board with a removable center fin. Although I have a friend who is a very good rider and he drilled holes in a board so he could have his center fin. This will most likely mean you will have a board with molded in side fins.

Get a board with a continuous rocker. No abrupt 3-stage rocker.

Some reading for you: http://www.evo.com/how-to-choose-a-wakeboard-and-wakeboard-size-chart.aspx#Ability Level

Shop EVO outlet. They have a LF Trip for a decent price. They also have a package deal with a Trip. Open toe bindings if you want to share with other riders. Closed toe bindings for the best fit and feeling (control) if you don want to share. For me I have a difficult foot to fit so I try to only buy my bindings at a shop where I can try them on.

Given that you are at Lake Lanier I would think you would have some pro shops around that would have demos.

jafo9
02-21-2016, 04:19 AM
i agree with everything said above. the entry level boards may come with no so great bindings. my son wears closed toes, but I actually prefer the open toe. don't be afraid to mix and match the bindings and the board. i picked up a murray nova core that was a few years old and a blem for my son for around $100 a few years back. the blem was a little spot on the top deck. it was originally a $400+ board. evo.com is a good place to start. they have a great return policy and a decent clearance section. i prefer the skinny stick, but i too like to wakeboard for fun. as noted above, the center fin is a crutch and i try to only use it for folks i'm teaching so they don't face plant when they don't rotate their hips enough.

epnault
02-21-2016, 05:18 AM
Wakeboardinfg hurts more than skiing if you plan on jumping and learning tricks. If you are just going to cruise and carve then it will be easier on the body. Find something that has less rocker and remember you need to be on edge to have control. Good luck.

chrislandy
02-21-2016, 07:06 AM
I can't recommend the Trip series enough, they are a great board that has stood the test of time. The basic shape has been around for over a decade.

I've been thinking about this a lot recently, I'm actually thinking of returning to "traditional" skiing from boarding because it doesn't hurt as much! I've got a hankering to break the old trick ski's out again

Quick
02-21-2016, 08:54 AM
Thanks for all the advise guys. The pain I get from slalom is in the left knee. Had to have knee surgery in my early 20's and now in my early 40's it is catching up with me. I will try 28off to soften the wake but I can't complain about my wake with the 190. I have been skiing since I was a little guy and love it, hence the Prostar. Thought wake boarding might be fun and I am going to give it a try but from the comments above, think I will pass on the wake to wake jumps behind my buddies X-Star.

Thanks again Teamtalk I will check out EVO and a few local shops around me.

CruisinGA
02-21-2016, 09:08 AM
Honestly I get hurt way less barefooting than I did wake boarding. Try it out!

Ben
02-21-2016, 09:21 AM
If you have a 190, once you get used to it, 28 and 32 off will be great much easier in knees than -15 and especially -28. Assume you are in 32-34 mph range. 35 off is even better yet...
Different feeling going thru a little hole vs hitting a hump, but really fun to hammer out some turns.
Things happen faster, but it is fun. Turn, lock, and pull.....
Wakeboard is still fun too.
Ready for summer after typing this. Enjoy.

Ben
02-21-2016, 09:57 AM
Wakeboard. Agree on continuous rocker- supposed to land softer than multi stage, which was my goal - knees...

gwozhog
02-21-2016, 10:09 AM
Buy the Ronix One. It is the most forgiving wakeboard you will ever ride. The edges are soft in the center so if you land sideways it will not catch an edge and face plant you. I have a bad back so I don't do any Ariels when I ride just wake to wake with grabs and since I bought that board it is only once in a blue moon that my hair ever gets wet since I started riding that board. I would recommend the 138cm but you could even buy the 146cm since you are a beginner too.

501s
02-21-2016, 02:41 PM
I've ridden a LOT of boards over the years, all brands and I like Ronix the best by far. The new Ronix One is the best board I've ridden. I would highly recommend it.

Shaun R
02-21-2016, 03:33 PM
Buy the Ronix One. It is the most forgiving wakeboard you will ever ride. The edges are soft in the center so if you land sideways it will not catch an edge and face plant you. I have a bad back so I don't do any Ariels when I ride just wake to wake with grabs and since I bought that board it is only once in a blue moon that my hair ever gets wet since I started riding that board. I would recommend the 138cm but you could even buy the 146cm since you are a beginner too.

This part caught my attention as I thought the One was a more advanced board and less forgiving. How does this compare to the flex board like Slingshot? Ride a Choice 142 now and went with this as it was a flexible beginner/intermediate board. Softer landings was what I was looking for.

sp00ky
02-21-2016, 03:40 PM
I am a complete novice but have the urge to learn wake boarding. The older I get the more the slalom starts to hurt. I am 5'11 and 190 pounds. Not sure what brand size or anything when it comes to this. I have wakeboarded once and got right up but man did it feel weird. I was all over place, felt like I was sliding on ice and had no control. Any advice from all you pros would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Sounds like you were riding one without fins, I make sure beginners have good fins (like 2.5" surf style) then when you get comfortable and want to start jumping you can put smaller ones on.

damaged442
02-23-2016, 12:05 PM
I also recommend the Liquid Force Trip. I have had a 138 for years. It handles anything anyone can throw at it. Beginner to pro.

andyh
02-23-2016, 10:57 PM
I'll add another vote for the latest shape (2015+) of the One. I rode it while at The Boarding School and liked it so much that I picked one up. It's just a really easy board to ride.

MC25
02-23-2016, 10:58 PM
I think the one also breaks the most out of any board I've ever encountered in my life