PDA

View Full Version : Igloo Sportsman 55 Roto-molded cooler

dvsone79
02-19-2016, 11:58 AM
I thought about posting this in the RTIC Coolers topic, but since this is a different cooler, I figured I'd start a new thread. I have a Yeti Tundra 50 that was gifted to me a few years ago. I love it. But I'd really like a slightly bigger cooler, particularly one that is wider, but a little shorter, as it would be a better fit for the space between the observer seat and rear bench in my boat (I don't have wrap-around seating in my 205v).

A Yeti 65 would fit the bill. But so would some of the other roto-molded coolers, like the RTIC 65, but there is a 5 month back-order on the RTIC, and the Yeti 65 is $400. Enter the Igloo Sportsman 55. Holds more than the Yeti 65, costs half as much, is roughly the same dimensions, and exactly half the price of the Yeti.

So I picked one up for $200 + tax at my local Sam's Club (seems to be the only place that carries them). I decided to do a 7 day ice challenge. If the Igloo matched or exceeded the Yeti, then I would keep it and sell the Yeti (and more than cover the price of the Igloo). If the Igloo didn't perform as well, then back to Sam's club it goes.

I filled both coolers up with 2 20lbs bags of ice, so 40lbs total in each cooler. That amount nearly filled the Yeti 50, while the Igloo had plenty of empty space left, so I transferred the wire basket that came with the Yeti to the Igloo (which fits the Igloo perfectly, so I'm keeping that when I sell the Yeti).

Here's the video where I did the side-by-side challenge, showing what the ice looked like after every day. Today would mark day 9, and there is still ice in both coolers. But I decided to stop at day 7. The test was done at ambient room temp of 72 degrees:

https://youtu.be/7nOlP14VHE8

dvsone79
02-19-2016, 12:16 PM
A few things worth noting: the internal volume of the Igloo being larger meant that the same amount of ice left more empty space in it vs the Yeti. I think that puts the Igloo at an ever so slight disadvantage for the test. The yeti rope handles are clearly superior to the igloo folding handles. This doesn't effect me at all since I only use the molded in handles, and those are equal on both. The latches on the Yeti are marginally better than the igloo. The igloo has a bigger drain spout. Not something I really care about. If anything that might compromise the insulation more than a smaller drain spout. But obviously not enough to be a major problem.

I read somewhere that you can do a flashlight test on these coolers in a dark room. If light shines through in a particular area then that area isn't insulated as well. I didn't do that test on either but I might whenever all the ice completely melts. I'm waiting to see which one holds out the longest but at day 7 it looked like a tie. Perhaps a slight edge to the Yeti but the Igloo started the test with a slight handicap.

Maristar210
02-19-2016, 02:28 PM
Holy crap it must be winter !!!!!!

thatsmrmastercraft
02-19-2016, 02:50 PM

I was hoping for a link to streaming video with a GoPro with IR in each cooler so I could keep an eye on the melting. :rolleyes:

Maristar210
02-19-2016, 02:55 PM
Good info though....

dvsone79
02-19-2016, 03:51 PM

Touché. And I admittedly didn't edit the videos. Just took a 1 minute clip each day and combined them and posted to YouTube. The short version for anyone who can't sit through 10 minutes of monotony: the two coolers held ice exactly the same.

And yes. I'm bored.

thatsmrmastercraft
02-19-2016, 05:48 PM
Touché. And I admittedly didn't edit the videos. Just took a 1 minute clip each day and combined them and posted to YouTube. The short version for anyone who can't sit through 10 minutes of monotony: the two coolers held ice exactly the same.

And yes. I'm bored.

Thanks for the entertainment, and the info.

dvsone79
02-19-2016, 09:26 PM
Thanks for the entertainment, and the info.

Glad I could entertain/inform!

WakeWise
02-19-2016, 10:47 PM
I'm a fan of equal products for half the money...so thanks for taking the time to test and post.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

x55
02-19-2016, 11:07 PM
some people swear by the yeti soft cooler but i find they sweat and leak like the less expensive ones..yes they keep ice a little longer..but worth the extra i don't know

cwarndahl
02-20-2016, 12:50 AM
Good post.

hondaprlud
02-20-2016, 12:37 PM
I can't believe I watched/read this and have absolutely no need for a cooler this good.

Summer can't come fast enough.

Thanks for the entertainment.

Sent from my crappy iPhone 6.

Jwgredeux
02-20-2016, 04:17 PM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160220/857cf90d9b9e185c39ad3555705e55c5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JasterCraft
02-20-2016, 04:44 PM
You realize the cooler issue wouldn't even be worth mentioning if you all just drank beer faster.

Sent from my iPhone using my iThumbs

Hammer
02-20-2016, 04:49 PM
You realize the cooler issue wouldn't even be worth mentioning if you all just drank beer faster.

Sent from my iPhone using my iThumbs
Yep!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk