PDA

View Full Version : Who's driving?

Workin' 4 Toys
02-08-2006, 01:01 PM
When you are going somewhere, Who drives?

And is it different if there is a trailer attached?

djhuff
02-08-2006, 01:04 PM
Road trips, always me.

Returning from the bar, frequently the wife.

Maristar210
02-08-2006, 01:09 PM
When you are going somewhere, Who drives?

And is it different if there is a trailer attached?

Boat = Me
Around Town = Me
After double digits of draft beers like three Friday's ago = HER

Hicccup

Steve

jayocheskey
02-08-2006, 01:09 PM
I always drive while towing. My wife sorta freaks out - she doesn't like having that kind of "pressure?" I've made her drive a couple of time, but she hates it. She won't even try to back it down the ramp.

bcampbe7
02-08-2006, 01:14 PM
I drive regardless of what or where.

ski_king
02-08-2006, 01:21 PM
I usually always drive with or w/o boat.
When pulling travel trailer wife won't even ride along.

Last summer I had my 17 year old daughter drive when pulling the boat on open uncrowded highway to get the feel of it. She did great.

Workin' 4 Toys
02-08-2006, 01:46 PM
I forgot to mention, I always drive.

I just can't get her out of some bad habits when she has the "empty" trailer by herself. I've been working on that for years.

tex
02-08-2006, 01:48 PM
With the boat-Me
The rest of the time-I drive there, she drives home!

Leroy
02-08-2006, 01:59 PM
With the boat, almost always me, but I'm ok with my wife driving. Wife always does the launch and I'm in the boat.

Without the boat, normally me, but on trips I do like letting her drive and going to the back and watching a video on the TV in the van.
Coming back from night out....almost always her, she drinks very little, at most glass of red wine with dinner rarely.

M-Funf
02-08-2006, 02:03 PM
When we take my car somewhere, I drive.

When we take her car somewhere, she drives.

When we carpool to work together (either car), I drive.

When pulling the boat, I drive (she does not like towing...even when I'm driving)

We walk to the "Local" for L.S.M. (Liquid Stress Management)

:toast:

6ballsisall
02-08-2006, 02:19 PM
I drive 99.9% of the time. The wife doesn't like to drive, I can't stand being in the passenger seat (yes I am a control freak :D )

peason
02-08-2006, 02:22 PM
I drive w/wo the trailer. While she takes care of the 4 kids in the back - I don't have the patience!

She drives the boat - loves too and is good pilot! I try to get behind the wheel as often as I can.

LakePirate
02-08-2006, 02:28 PM
Much like Jeff, I don't ride very well at all.

Unless I need sleep or have had too much to drink, I drive

bcampbe7
02-08-2006, 02:46 PM
I drive 99.9% of the time. The wife doesn't like to drive, I can't stand being in the passenger seat (yes I am a control freak :D )

Ditto :uglyhamme

rodltg2
02-08-2006, 03:05 PM
i already have the girlfirend trained to drive with the boat/trailer.
( backing up skills are not up to par yet) . driving the boat has been a bigger challenge. at least on the course.

jmyers
02-08-2006, 03:09 PM
Me, Me, Me, and after drinking hopefully her! :D :toast:

rodltg2
02-08-2006, 03:12 PM
you guys drink?

Thrall
02-08-2006, 04:23 PM
I definately drive more than 50% of the time, but on long road trips, my wife drives her share. Enough to let me rest up. Towing a trailer doesn't bother her, unless we're in bad traffic on the freeway.

jayocheskey
02-08-2006, 05:06 PM
you guys drink?

I drink a lot of soda & gatorade, does that count?

Workin' 4 Toys
02-08-2006, 05:23 PM
I tried to let my wife drive once on a 20 hour road trip to Texas after working 12 hours.
12 hours into the drive at 4AM she convinced me I needed a nap. I put a towel over my head to catch some zzzzzz's, 5 minutes later she found the wakeup bumps on the shoulder. Needless to say, that was her 5 minutes of fame, I was then WIDE awake and no issues the rest of the way, and the last time she drove with me in the truck. Probably ever.:o

milkmania
02-08-2006, 05:37 PM
if we're going to the lake for camping/skiing/4-wheeling..... she pulls the boat, I pull the travel trailer, son pulls the 4-wheelers.

if we're just going skiing, I typically drive. she exhibits full capabilities with dropping the boat trailer, hooking up the boat trailer, launching & loading with the boat trailer....
the travel trailer she's a little rusty at, but there are a lot more blind spots. she can do it with a spotter.

AirJunky
02-08-2006, 05:41 PM
I probably do about 75% of it. We share the boat towing, launching & boat driving. She can probably back up a trailer better than 1/2 the guys I know.

Footin
02-08-2006, 05:48 PM
Me, all the time. Wife will park the truck and trailer and drive me home from the bar, thats about it.

bcampbe7
02-08-2006, 06:47 PM
I tried to let my wife drive once on a 20 hour road trip to Texas after working 12 hours.
12 hours into the drive at 4AM she convinced me I needed a nap. I put a towel over my head to catch some zzzzzz's, 5 minutes later she found the wakeup bumps on the shoulder. Needless to say, that was her 5 minutes of fame, I was then WIDE awake and no issues the rest of the way, and the last time she drove with me in the truck. Probably ever.:o

There is a story behind why I drive when we travel.
We were traveling from Iowa to Tennessee one year after Christmas. I was dead tired and she wanted to drive so I stop just outside of St Louis. We were heading East on I-64 towards Mt. Vernon, IL, were we would catch I-57 South to I-24 to Nashville.
Shortly therafter, I fall asleep. I wake up an hour or so later and there is still snow on the ground. :eek: Immediately I thought that we should be out of the snow by now. So I'm looking for a road sign and we pass a sign for I-64! She had missed the exit for I-57 and continued on I-64. We were in Indiana!
I said, "ah honey. Are we in Indiana?!?"
She said, "Yeah, we are making great time," in a very chipper tone.
I said, "we are not suppose to be in Indiana."
She let out a few expletives, and I laughed.
To this day I will not let her live that down.

Ended up we were just coming up on Evansville, IN so I got out the Atlas and we took a 2 lane to Hopkinsville, KY and caught I-24.

milkmania
02-08-2006, 07:01 PM
you ever hear the sound a diesel truck's mirror makes when it hits another diesel's trailer travelling down the highway in the same direction on a four lane highway?

it goes something like this..... whacka, whacka, whacka, whacka, whacka

I've heard this sound from the sleeper:(

I was travelling with a girlfriend's dad to Elkhart Indiana.... thank goodness I didn't marry that one...she was just as crazy as her dad:o

Workin' 4 Toys
02-08-2006, 07:40 PM
There is a story behind why I drive when we travel.
We were traveling from Iowa to Tennessee one year after Christmas. I was dead tired and she wanted to drive so I stop just outside of St Louis. We were heading East on I-64 towards Mt. Vernon, IL, were we would catch I-57 South to I-24 to Nashville.
Shortly therafter, I fall asleep. I wake up an hour or so later and there is still snow on the ground. :eek: Immediately I thought that we should be out of the snow by now. So I'm looking for a road sign and we pass a sign for I-64! She had missed the exit for I-57 and continued on I-64. We were in Indiana!
I said, "ah honey. Are we in Indiana?!?"
She said, "Yeah, we are making great time," in a very chipper tone.
I said, "we are not suppose to be in Indiana."
She let out a few expletives, and I laughed.
To this day I will not let her live that down.

Ended up we were just coming up on Evansville, IN so I got out the Atlas and we took a 2 lane to Hopkinsville, KY and caught I-24.
That's a great story. I can only imagine if I'd have a similar story if I would have fallen asleep...:) :rolleyes:

JEREMY79
02-08-2006, 10:16 PM
We both share the driving. SHe is a great trailer backer and puller.

Ferdinand_DeMarco
02-08-2006, 10:17 PM
I don't let the wife drive anymore

Workin' 4 Toys
02-08-2006, 10:59 PM
I don't let the wife drive anymore
Why not, or is she watching......;)

jraben8
02-09-2006, 12:12 AM
My wife doesn't particularly like to drive and can hardly see at night. Some things are just better this way.

I must note (on my own accord) that she can center the boat perfectly on the trailer in a 15 mph cross wind at night for whatever reason. Maybe its the tail lights of the truck that quide her or there aren't curbs to bounce off. I have learned that the only guidance that I should give her is "Just as long as it's between the poles, you can hear the instructions for the rest."

Sodar
02-09-2006, 12:14 AM
I can not comment about having a spouse and give an accurate answer on how much she drives, however being a younger guy... I find few things hotter than when an attractive woman can tow a trailer and more importantly handle a boat. But for now I guess I will be driving 100% of the time until I can find a hotty to teach!!

jimmer2880
02-09-2006, 09:37 AM
My wife doesn't particularly like to drive and can hardly see at night. Some things are just better this way.

I must note (on my own accord) that she can center the boat perfectly on the trailer in a 15 mph cross wind at night for whatever reason. Maybe its the tail lights of the truck that quide her or there aren't curbs to bounce off. I have learned that the only guidance that I should give her is "Just as long as it's between the poles, you can hear the instructions for the rest."

Funny... that's exactly what I tell my wife.

In the same situation driving as well. Usually, it's me, unless I've had too much.

richardsoncd
02-09-2006, 09:40 AM
Not married, but as for the girlfriend of forever: unless drunk or severly hung over, always me....and no one drives if it is my MC in tow, she does get to pull the truck/trailer out after I load the MC up and winch it down....but there is a 25 ft rule, no more, no less.

jlf
02-09-2006, 10:48 AM
He usually drives, I don't mind it though. I can tow whatever, but he usually drives, like most of you men he isn't a good passenger. I will admit I am not good at backing the trailer up yet. I am usually in the boat so I load and unload the boat. I can handle the boat, I can even pull a wakeboarder.

Workin' 4 Toys
02-09-2006, 11:16 AM
My wife has become an excellent driver with the trailer (Without me as a copilot I might add;) ) backing in the empty trailer on the ramp, she does a great job. But how she gets the job done frustrates me. She can't and won't use the mirrors. I try to tell her she needs to try when there is daylight, and noone around, so when the time comes when you can't see out the back because the bed is full of stuff, maybe its an enclosed 8' trailer or its dark, or whatever.
Someday you will need to use the mirrors. She has been trailering (empty) boat, jet ski and snowmobile trailers for years with me. But some day she will be sorry she "can't" use the mirrors.

X2M
02-09-2006, 11:40 AM
My wife has become an excellent driver with the trailer (Without me as a copilot I might add;) ) backing in the empty trailer on the ramp, she does a great job. But how she gets the job done frustrates me. She can't and won't use the mirrors. I try to tell her she needs to try when there is daylight, and noone around, so when the time comes when you can't see out the back because the bed is full of stuff, maybe its an enclosed 8' trailer or its dark, or whatever.
Someday you will need to use the mirrors. She has been trailering (empty) boat, jet ski and snowmobile trailers for years with me. But some day she will be sorry she "can't" use the mirrors.

I can't use the mirrors either...tried and only bad things happen. :o So I stick to what works for me. He loads/unloads and I backup/park the trailer.

I can and do hook the boat up myself and trailer it just about anywhere...you should see the looks I get driving down the freeway by myself pulling the boat. Men. :rolleyes:

My husband usually drives one of the cars. I am the driver when he is not coherent enough though. :)

WakeSeeky
02-09-2006, 12:08 PM
Pulling the boat, he usually drives, although I don't mind. I won't back the truck down the ramp, though, I have that "mirror" problem too. I could do it in an emergency, but I stick to loading/unloading the boat, we're both happier that way.

Not pulling the boat, we share driving. We even carpool to work so that each of us only has to deal with traffic once each day. :D

bcampbe7
02-09-2006, 12:21 PM
Not trying to start a debate, but I believe this driving thing (mainly backing a trailer using only the mirrors) boils down to men being more "Right-brained" and women being more "Left-brained" and how the left and right hemispheres process information differently.

It is also why women tend to talk more... :D

Workin' 4 Toys
02-09-2006, 12:23 PM
Not trying to start a debate, but I believe it boils down to men being more "Right-brained" and women being more "Left-brained" and how they left and right hemispheres process information differently.

It is also why women tend to talk more... :D
Not sure if this fits...... My wife is left handed...

She just can't do anything right:rolleyes:....badump bump...

bcampbe7
02-09-2006, 12:28 PM

:uglyhamme
The left side of the brain actually controls the right side of the body, but left side of the face.

It's just that right-brained people are more spatially aware. Has nothing to do with intelligence.

WakeSeeky
02-09-2006, 12:48 PM

:D LOL!

My husband is left handed and backs the truck up like he's been doing it all his life... oh wait, he has! Whatever I know about driving boats or backing trucks I've learned in the last few years. I'm sure I'd get better with the mirrors if I practiced, but really, I spent an entire season nearly having a heart attack every time I loaded the boat on the trailer. I'm over that. I like loading the boat. Backing the truck up stresses me out and makes husband nervous. We could spend another season correcting that, but why? :noface:

X2M
02-09-2006, 12:57 PM
:D LOL!

My husband is left handed and backs the truck up like he's been doing it all his life... oh wait, he has! Whatever I know about driving boats or backing trucks I've learned in the last few years. I'm sure I'd get better with the mirrors if I practiced, but really, I spent an entire season nearly having a heart attack every time I loaded the boat on the trailer. I'm over that. I like loading the boat. Backing the truck up stresses me out and makes husband nervous. We could spend another season correcting that, but why?

I'm left handed too...hmmmm. :rolleyes:

I freakout everytime I have to load the boat. :eek3:

Totally understand where you are coming from. :)

NORTHERN LIGHTS
02-09-2006, 01:00 PM
my wife can back down ramps etc. --i do not allow it anymore!why you ask? long story short. 2001 vette convert. 15800 miles. asked her to put it in the garage last summer one evening. proceeded to pinstripe the front 1/4 panel--guess 9' doors are not wide enough.
Now if that happen to be my 197--probably would no longer be married. actually, let me rethink that-- she take the boat with her.
I love my boat-err- i mean wife :)

BrianM
02-09-2006, 01:01 PM
I drive 99% of the time. Basicly unless I am over the limit I drive. Wife has terrible vision even with correction. She tailgates and waits until the last second to brake. Frightening. :eek3:

Just the past few months I have been trying to teach her to back the trailer down the ramp and then pull it out of the water. Realize that by back down the ramp I mean that I back the trailer to the edge of the water and then have her finish up. The truck and trailer get left on the ramp so she just has to back down and pull up the length of the trailer. She is learning... SLOWLY. She has an issue with fine motor skills. Hard on the gas or hard on the brake. No inbetween for her.

shepherd
02-09-2006, 03:34 PM
Much like Jeff, I don't ride very well at all.

Unless I need sleep or have had too much to drink, I drive

Yeah, same here. I always volunteer to take my car or my boat if going somewhere with friends.
My "old lady" drives like an old lady and I like to get where we're going fairly quick (if you know what I mean.. :rolleyes: )
But she will back the trailer up and down the ramp.

mitch
02-09-2006, 09:07 PM
Sitting in the passenger seat suc%s. Unless I'm loaded, I always try to drive.

tex
02-09-2006, 09:20 PM
My wife picked me up for lunch today...wow she scares me!

skitilldark
02-09-2006, 10:00 PM
I always drive, but my wife is truly gifted at putting the boat on the trailer. It is a thing of beauty, really. Wind, heavy currents...doesn't matter, she can read them all and drive it right on every time.