PDA

View Full Version : I need help

River Rat
02-08-2006, 09:29 AM
I am in the process of trying to buy a vehicle for my son. This deal is almost to good to be true so I would like to check him or the vehicle out. I have his name and address the vin number and license plate number. Does anyone know of web sites where I can verify this info? Or at least make sure the vehicle is not stolen!

car fax was worthless......a wasted $20.00

Dan K
02-08-2006, 09:35 AM
I would check for a clear title, no liens. Make sure it is in his name. I am aslo in the process of looking for a car for my daughter, what a tough job. There are a lot of folks that are jumping titles, they buy cars at auction or from someone else and sell them by passing the already signoff title on to you. If there name isn't on the title I would deal with them. When I call on adds, I say that I am calling about the car for sale if they say "Which car" I usually end the conversation immediately.
If I wanted acar with unknown history I would go to a legitimate dealer that offers a warranty etc...

ski_king
02-08-2006, 09:37 AM
Does he have the title for it?
I am not familuar with titles in TX, but if he has a clear title, (that isnt forged) that should be good enough.

Or maybe the local police will run the VIN for you.

I used Carfax this past summer when I bought a car for my daughter. I bouught the unlimited reports for 30 days for $30 and it was worth it. I suprised a few of the sellers when I showed them what their car had been thru and used it to reduce the price of the one I bought by $500.

I bet a lot of flood damaged cars are starting to show up in the cheap used car market. Carfax should show this.

Leroy
02-08-2006, 09:42 AM
I know different states do it differently, but when we bought my son's car I could trace owners back to when it was new. I bought from a guy that did internet sales of cars.The title is pretty obvious with the notary stamps, etc. If not call the DMV, I think they can verify a valid title and it matches VIN, etc.

MADE IN USA
02-08-2006, 09:42 AM
http://www.freevin.com/

http://www.nadaguides.com/GlobalFrame.aspx?ItemID=27551&WSec=10&wPr=20&wPg=2102&FileId=2102&it=27551

A good read...
http://www.edmunds.com/advice/buying/articles/48118/article.html?mktcat=vin&kw=vin+number&mktid=ga10009255

River Rat
02-08-2006, 09:43 AM
he says the title is clear but how do i know its for real, when i show up with my cashers check to buy it I can check the vin number against the title and ask for id but if he is a thief i will be standing in front of him with a $12,000 cashers check in my hand :eek: to late now!

bcampbe7
02-08-2006, 09:47 AM
he says the title is clear but how do i know its for real, when i show up with my cashers check to buy it I can check the vin number against the title and ask for id but if he is a thief i will be standing in front of him with a $12,000 cashers check in my hand :eek: to late now!
I would see if your local authorities would run the VIN and plates to make sure everything matches up.

Texas has the conceal and carry law, correct? :)

River Rat
02-08-2006, 10:04 AM
got it! called his local tax office and it all checks out. Now I need to hurry up and buy it before someone else does :o

MADE IN USA
02-08-2006, 10:06 AM
So you are assuming you have someone that has listed a vehicle for sale, that is stolen and he made a fake title and/or "fixed" the VIN?
Do you know what to look for on a real title? I don't know what titles look like in Texas, but here they are certainly not easy to "make".
Why are you so skeptical?

milkmania
02-08-2006, 10:08 AM
got it! called his local tax office and it all checks out. Now I need to hurry up and buy it before someone else does :o

what kind of "vehicle" is it....?

you can at least give us a hint;)

River Rat
02-08-2006, 10:18 AM
He insisted we meet somewere to vew the vehicle
he wanted cash or direct deposit :noface:
when I insisted on a cashers check from my bank he wants to call to verify....... which is ok
he wants to meet me somewhere to perform the transaction
last but not least i lost his address so I called him to get it and he could not remember it :eek:

but like I said the plate number matches his name and address :toast:

it's not very often I run into a deal this good :o

River Rat
02-08-2006, 10:24 AM
a 2001 suburban completely loaded for $12,000 in perfect shape I might add. :woohoo:

Upper Michigan Prostar190
02-08-2006, 10:28 AM
You know, this is a evasive topic. Its difficult to reseach these things some times. In our area, all of our local trade ins are usually easy to sell. We always willingly provide the name and owner of the previous seller to a potential customer so they can contact them directly if they like to. Customers really appreciate that gesture on our part. we dont have anything to hide so we dont care if the customer talks to the previous customer. we offer it all the time. We offer the customer to take the vehicle to their shop of choice(at their cost) and have the vehicle mechanically inspected too. Sometimes they do this.

Heres the scary part of looking for used cars. The bad thing is state laws are different and requirements are different in each state. So heres an example: salvage title requirements are different in each state so what if a vehicle IS damaged to salvage status(or commonly referred to as "totalled") it may NOT be salvage status in another state. Now what can happen here is vehicles can then have a "clean" title in one state, but a salvage title in another state. so you have the questionable practice of transferring vehicles with salvage titles to another state, get a title, and then you have a "clean" title. I read about this in an auto publication a few years ago that its becoming a problem.

Of course you can always check with the state of register's DMV to see if there is a lien on the title. THe leins are printed on the titles and should be recorded in the state of registry's computer system. We always require the customer trading a vehicle to provide a letter of lien termination from their financing company. that way we have it in writing that the title is clear of leins.

SO here are my suggestions for a safer purchase.

1. Ask to see the title. Look for anything suspiscous on it(erasures, alterations, errors, etc...) Look to see if the lein has been released on the title by a signature from a officer of the financial institution.

2. Contact the financial institution that shows a lein on the title to see if they still hold a lein on that vehicle. With all the privacy of information act stuff now, they may not give you this information.

3. ask to have the vehicle inspected (at your expense) by an independant shop. Most shops will do this for $50 or so. If they deny you that or get strange or argumentative, walk away because something is fishy.

4. ask for contact information to the previous owner. any reputable dealer will provide this. Just ask for a photocopy of the title, that way you have the lien info, the previous owners name and address, and the vin #. So if you have to, you can try to reach the owner yourself. Try to find their phone # on the net.

5. Trust your guts. YOur gut instincts are usually pretty darn good. take your time, do your homework, dont impulse buy, and use your guts.

Another option is to ask around, talk to people, insurance agents, mechanical shops and ask who is a reputable used car dealer. Believe it or not, there are actualy a few reputable car dealers out there, you just have to look for them. They just take some looking.

Hope this helps. :)

UMP

Rockman
02-08-2006, 10:28 AM
Something does just not sound right here... :confused: :noface:

Be careful! If too good to be true, then just pass this one up...

02-08-2006, 10:30 AM
a 2001 suburban completely loaded for $12,000 in perfect shape I might add. :woohoo:

How many miles are on it? is it 2wd or 4x4? is it an LS model or LT? :confused:

Give me some more info on it. I may be able to help you.

At this point, it does sound a bit too good to be true. Be cautious.

Leroy
02-08-2006, 10:34 AM
Very good advise UMP! I'll have to save that in my important stuff to keep file!

I believe most of the 99% of the dealers and salemen are reputable and honest. A lot of the tricks happen not from real dealers but from fly by night and pretend dealers.

River Rat
02-08-2006, 10:46 AM
2wd LT with 89,000 mi near perfect he admitted to one fender bender that didn't show up on carfax, busted tail light with bent fender
most of the local pricing around here is around 13,5 and up

02-08-2006, 11:13 AM
well, that certainly sounds low priced. I would be a bit cautious. Even at todays gas prices, suburbans are good used merchandise and arent "give it away" prices. Ask the seller this.

1. WHY are you selling it at such a low price? watch his/her eyes when they answer. see if their eyes dart around or look away when they answer. see if they look you in the eye when they answer.

2. WHY are you selling it? whats the reason? why dont they want it anymore? (again, watch the eyes)

Thats way below book price too, something is odd......

UMP

02-08-2006, 11:16 AM
he wanted cash or direct deposit :noface:
when I insisted on a cashers check from my bank he wants to call to verify....... which is ok
he wants to meet me somewhere to perform the transaction
last but not least i lost his address so I called him to get it and he could not remember it :eek:

but like I said the plate number matches his name and address :toast:

it's not very often I run into a deal this good :o

I dont know man, this stuff sounds goofy. this "meeting" somewhere is strange.....

River Rat
02-08-2006, 11:18 AM
I am going to pick it up later today and i will try that before I hand over my money. I will also ask for some ID

JimN
02-08-2006, 11:26 AM
I would get the VIN number and call the police to find out if it's hot. Carfax may not be reliable up to the minute.

02-08-2006, 11:37 AM
I would get the VIN number and call the police to find out if it's hot. Carfax may not be reliable up to the minute.

Good idea!

River Rat
02-08-2006, 12:21 PM
The call has been made just waiting for a patrolman to call me back.

JimN
02-08-2006, 12:45 PM
This Suburban isn't in another state, is it? If it is, the FBI would get into the action if it is a fraudulent transaction. Maybe you could wear a wire and get a reward. Then when it becomes apparent that it's the Mexican Mafia who is doing this, you can go into witness protection.

Maristar210
02-08-2006, 01:19 PM
Low retail is $13,300 so $12k does not sound that low. Meeting somewhere is kind of strange though, I agree. Unless its I'll meet you half way type of situation. In any case any SUV's values have tanked recently. UMP seen them drop?

Steve

02-08-2006, 01:33 PM
Low retail is $13,300 so $12k does not sound that low. Meeting somewhere is kind of strange though, I agree. Unless its I'll meet you half way type of situation. In any case any SUV's values have tanked recently. UMP seen them drop?

Steve

Steve, when I ran that on NADA.com I got a retail of $16,600 and a trade in of $13,300 so twelve is very low IMO. I mean suburbans are very popular in texas where he is. so even with todays gas prices, suburbans are still good merchandise. but, yes steve, they have dropped but not that much that its going to be $4500 less than retail book to sell it. I dont know......that just seems too low. and why would he start at $12,000 ??? in my expereinces people always start at book price or so and negotiate down. Its just odd....

where did you find this truck? newspaper ad? internet ad? TV ad?

UMP

Rockman
02-08-2006, 02:35 PM

Sounds like the Buffalo Bob episode from Joe Dirt...Put the lotion in the basket..NOW! :noface:

pilot02
02-08-2006, 03:12 PM
Maybe he's getting a divorce and it's the ex's vehicle.....

djhuff
02-08-2006, 03:27 PM
If it is the first time you have viewed the vehicle, I would not read too much into meeting somewhere else. When I sold my Mustang, I met potential buyers at the mall near my house. 2 reasons... 1 it was easier to give directions, 2, I didn't want someone I have never met coming to my house.

erkoehler
02-08-2006, 07:37 PM

So, what is it?

erkoehler
02-08-2006, 07:39 PM
I am going to pick it up later today and i will try that before I hand over my money. I will also ask for some ID

Tell him you want to do the deal in front of the local POLICE STATION!!!!

SKI*MC
02-08-2006, 07:48 PM
Thread Jack:

I'm looking for a good reliable car, low on miles, and resonamle price, and gets good gas millage. Local only though. PM me if you have anything. Thanks

END Thread Jack.

Ryan
02-08-2006, 07:50 PM
You're awefully close to all of this.

Car and Drive: A Flood of Fraud (http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=4&article_id=10400)

Farmer Ted
02-08-2006, 08:01 PM
I am in the process of trying to buy a vehicle for my son. This deal is almost to good to be true so I would like to check him or the vehicle out. I have his name and address the vin number and license plate number. Does anyone know of web sites where I can verify this info? Or at least make sure the vehicle is not stolen!

car fax was worthless......a wasted $20.00

Ask your insurance company to run the VIN, they should have the resources available to identify anything fishy...

02-08-2006, 08:14 PM
Tell him you want to do the deal in front of the local POLICE STATION!!!!

Great idea Erk! If he insists on meeting somewhere, why not? I am sure the police wouldnt mind, just tell them what your doing and why before he gets there. thats a good place. If he wont do it, you know its fishy. this would solve it if he doesnt want you at HIS house for security reasons.

UMP

SKI*MC
02-08-2006, 08:33 PM
my question is, why at the police station, why not a dard alley, in the core? I mean to me that makes the most sense... oh wait, its you wanting to BUY the car. Don't pay any attention to my comment. :noface:

Hoosier Bob
02-08-2006, 08:45 PM
Is it a local Title? Most law enforcement officers will run a titlsearch for you in your presence if it is an in or out of state title. Perform the transaction at a local bank branch (officers are sometimes present anyway and will do the search). Also be aware that in Texas I would suspect a lot of flood and rebuilt vehicles from the New Orleans area. They will have a fairly recent title! It is easy to wash out a title state to state on vehicles repurchased by owners that have made a flood or totaled vehicle claim. :twocents:

River Rat
02-09-2006, 02:40 PM
Well it's done

Turns out this guy was a Houston police officer, who was being very careful. I ended up meeting him in the HPD parking lot cous he could not get a ride to meet me any where closer. DRIVING down town ***. He had it for sale for 14k for a long time and would not budge on the price, dropped it to 13,5 and nobody called, got sick of dealing with it dropped the price to 12k 5 min before I called. And his phone has not stopped ringing. Drove it home last night. A one owner with all the Maint. records in near perfect shape! I never run across deals like this. Pict will follow

Thanks for all the advice :toast:

02-09-2006, 03:05 PM
Hey congats!!!!

east tx skier
02-09-2006, 03:48 PM
Congrats. I was about to mention that most places I've been will try to buy trade ins at or near Kelly Blue Book and sell for NADA. If you've compared trade in values on the two sites, you can see how this would be a money maker.

I ran this year suburban on KBB.com with the mileage stated and came up with under $12K for trade in. So he got more than he might have gotten from a dealer and you got it for less than you would have a dealer.

Win-win.

http://www.kbb.com/kb/ki.dll/kw.kc.ucp?kbb.TX;;TX201;&77024&;841783&;;uct;&6;CT;H1