PDA

View Full Version : Will Fresh water flush work while in salt water?

gunsbuns
02-10-2016, 06:58 PM
I generally leave the boat in the (salt) water for several days while on holidays. It's the SS and has the flush attachment at the back. Ive rigged up a hose to a tap for fresh water. But will this work while the boat is sitting in the salt water or will the normal intake just suck salt through?

rgardjr1
02-10-2016, 07:45 PM
The flush attachment I have is design to only pull water from the fresh water hose attachment when it has pressure. If your boat has a raw water pick up that has a shut off valve you could always turn it off so it couldn't draw any salt water in while you're running the boat to flush it out.

gunsbuns
02-10-2016, 09:51 PM
Raw water shut off valve? Where would I find that?

rgardjr1
02-10-2016, 10:12 PM
Bottom of the engine compartment. Big hose connected to it.

woodrowskis
02-11-2016, 10:35 AM
I remember the fresh water flush kits having a built in check valve ( a portion with a spring loaded plate below/upstream of the freshwater entry) . Otherwise whenever you tried to flush, most of the water would just go backwards out the inlet thru hull fitting. If it is homemade flush and simply a tee with a water hose connection, you would need to add a ball valve upstream of the water hose conenction.
If your boat is newer this ball valve is probably already there. I think it is a new coast guard rule. that way if a hose starts leaking you can stop the water entry. My 2002 boat did not have such a valve. I am pretty sure my 2015 does. I have seen this boats at the show and I am pretty sure on boats like ours. I don't know what year it started.