PDA

View Full Version : UTV advice

DocPhil
01-30-2016, 01:10 PM
Looking for a 4 seater UTV that can tow small trailers and plow snow.

Will be doing some local trail riding. nothing extreme.

can it be had for under 10K?

any advice? the good, the bad and the ugly?

Bwag1961
01-30-2016, 01:35 PM
Saw a deluxe version Yamaha that looked really nice. It was listed at 14k but you could easily go down a notch or two and get close to 12k.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

corey
01-30-2016, 04:02 PM
I've racked up quite a few miles on the Polaris Ranger and RZR. I did do a little trailering (log splitter) with the Ranger, never used it for plowing but I think it would get the job done well. I was surprised at how well the Ranger did off road, the RZR is MUCH nicer in that capacity but the Ranger matches my actual usage better. FWIW my wife and sister in law LOVE the Ranger, they used it to run the kids into town and are much more comfortable driving it than a 4 wheeler. For trail riding they both sit in the back seat and talk while we blast through woods, mud, etc. I think a crew cab would be hard to come by under 10K unless it was the 500. For reference the 900 and 1,000 have plenty of power even when loaded with 4 adults and two kids and a cooler.

corey
01-30-2016, 04:03 PM
Not sure why my photos didn't load in previous reply.

corey
01-30-2016, 04:11 PM
I forgot to mention the Ranger has a bench style rear seat which we liked, the RZR has 4 buckets which are better for off roading. We tend to use the wheelers and UTZs for a mixture of things including simply hauling people from one cabin to another so the bench was nice as it held more people.

More photos since there is no snow for snowmobiling and I miss summer.

DocPhil
01-30-2016, 04:16 PM
I've racked up quite a few miles on the Polaris Ranger and RZR. I did do a little trailering (log splitter) with the Ranger, never used it for plowing but I think it would get the job done well. I was surprised at how well the Ranger did off road, the RZR is MUCH nicer in that capacity but the Ranger matches my actual usage better. FWIW my wife and sister in law LOVE the Ranger, they used it to run the kids into town and are much more comfortable driving it than a 4 wheeler. For trail riding they both sit in the back seat and talk while we blast through woods, mud, etc. I think a crew cab would be hard to come by under 10K unless it was the 500. For reference the 900 and 1,000 have plenty of power even when loaded with 4 adults and two kids and a cooler.

That sounds perfect for my use Corey.

Polaris ranger 900 eh? How much would one run?

DocPhil
01-30-2016, 04:20 PM
what are your thoughts on this one?

http://www.lakesidemotorsports.net/new_vehicle_detail.asp?veh=315326&pov=4533729

corey
01-30-2016, 04:36 PM
I haven't driven the 800 but I think it would be more than acceptable. The 900 had power to spare. It gets my nod.

DocPhil
01-30-2016, 04:41 PM
I haven't driven the 800 but I think it would be more than acceptable. The 900 had power to spare. It gets my nod.

How many miles is alot on these?

Warranty?

corey
01-30-2016, 05:43 PM
I'll see if I can get epnault on here, he's the expert when it comes to miles. My guess is that like boats it matters more on the use and maintenance. I'm not sure on the warranty, never used it.

Bwag1961
01-30-2016, 05:45 PM
How many miles is alot on these?

Warranty?
Warranties usally give you only 6 months or at least thats what I got with my Arctic Cat.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

neil.anderson63
01-30-2016, 05:50 PM
Warranties are usually 6 months. They do sell extended plans. $$$$
Stay away from the Deere RSX models, we had lots of issues and recalls (pips) on them.

JohnnyB
01-30-2016, 06:49 PM
Great for plowing snow. .....ranger 500 efi here.....go with widest blade u can get.....i went one smaller and regret it

2RLAKE
01-30-2016, 07:03 PM
Go with Polaris ... You can get a 4 seater 570 Ranger for 10k brand new

I have 3 ... 500 Ranger, 500 Crew and a 900 Razor ... They are great

epnault
01-30-2016, 07:14 PM
Like what 2rlake and Corey stated. Go with the utility model like the Ranger. The link you shared is Ranger Crew which is a 6 seater and the price is high for that many miles. Try to find something under 1500miles if you are going pre owned.

If you have 10k to spend you can find a nice unit. Polaris does have a mid size model like the pic 2rlake is showing and you can get them for under 10k new.

DocPhil
01-30-2016, 07:31 PM
I'm reading that polaris has reliability issues. That is a bit concerning

I am looking at a Brand new leftover 2015 Yamaya Viking VI EPS for 10K. thoughts on that?

2RLAKE
01-30-2016, 07:41 PM
Sorry not familiar ... I've not had any issues ... Two 2010s and a 2015

neil.anderson63
01-30-2016, 07:58 PM
We sold Polaris at the Deere dealer where I ran the shop. Reliability is way strong IMO. The most common problem was people, not the machines. They are belt driven, ppl would hourglass the drivebelt pulling a stump or shifting from F to R while still moving. Polaris is also fantastic with warranty. Great reps with common sense when something does come up. If I'm buying, it's Polaris.

DocPhil
01-30-2016, 08:10 PM
We sold Polaris at the Deere dealer where I ran the shop. Reliability is way strong IMO. The most common problem was people, not the machines. They are belt driven, ppl would hourglass the drivebelt pulling a stump or shifting from F to R while still moving. Polaris is also fantastic with warranty. Great reps with common sense when something does come up. If I'm buying, it's Polaris.

what are your thoughts on the yamaha vikings? I hear they are bullet proof

FlatLander
01-30-2016, 08:15 PM
Polaris.. If they hold up to what we put them through running flooded rice fields and river bottoms they can about stand any thing

TX.X-30 fan
01-30-2016, 08:37 PM
what are your thoughts on the yamaha vikings? I hear they are bullet proof

I have no idea but at this point your beating a dead horse....Polaris!!

DocPhil
01-30-2016, 08:44 PM
I have no idea but at this point your beating a dead horse....Polaris!!

Eh...

I can get a Yamaha for about 5 k cheaper locally. Would like some input on that

TX.X-30 fan
01-30-2016, 09:03 PM
Sooooory....:D

DocPhil
01-30-2016, 09:09 PM
Sooooory....:D

Apology accepted. ;)

epnault
01-30-2016, 10:02 PM
If you don't need be latest and greatest technology in ride, handling, power, and features then go with the Japenese brands. If you want something more than vanilla ice cream check out Polaris or Can Am. You will not have reliability issues with any brand. This part of the Powersports industry has matured so much since the 80/90s.

DocPhil
01-31-2016, 01:07 AM
If you don't need be latest and greatest technology in ride, handling, power, and features then go with the Japenese brands. If you want something more than vanilla ice cream check out Polaris or Can Am. You will not have reliability issues with any brand. This part of the Powersports industry has matured so much since the 80/90s.

I like vanilla ice cream :)

neil.anderson63
01-31-2016, 01:07 AM
Doc, the Yamaha is a blink quicker in a flat out drag race. Something I do like about the Y is their new clutch design. CVT. I think it is going to be easier on components in the long run because of it's design the belt doesn't slap like other designs - pretty much everyone's slaps from zero throttle to throttle up, the Yamaha is centrifugal, no slap. Kinder to the drive belt on technical off roading, rock climbing or if you bury it.
I drove the 2 door, Y version and hit my elbow on a brace all the time. Polaris seemed a bit quieter. Steering on all 4 or 6 passenger rigs is school bus like. Make sure you get EPS or you'll just want to light it on fire.
If you go Polaris don't go smaller than an 800- just my opinion. Yamaha seems to spec out pretty close to the Polaris.
Drive and decide time. Cheers!

DocPhil
01-31-2016, 01:19 AM
Doc, the Yamaha is a blink quicker in a flat out drag race. Something I do like about the Y is their new clutch design. CVT. I think it is going to be easier on components in the long run because of it's design the belt doesn't slap like other designs - pretty much everyone's slaps from zero throttle to throttle up, the Yamaha is centrifugal, no slap. Kinder to the drive belt on technical off roading, rock climbing or if you bury it.
I drove the 2 door, Y version and hit my elbow on a brace all the time. Polaris seemed a bit quieter. Steering on all 4 or 6 passenger rigs is school bus like. Make sure you get EPS or you'll just want to light it on fire.
If you go Polaris don't go smaller than an 800- just my opinion. Yamaha seems to spec out pretty close to the Polaris.
Drive and decide time. Cheers!

Super helpful! Thanks!!!

epnault
01-31-2016, 03:01 AM

But Polaris engine is named "ProStar". Just saying

Every brand has CVT other than Honda

2RLAKE
01-31-2016, 09:39 AM
But Polaris engine is named "ProStar". Just saying

Every brand has CVT other than Honda

score another point for Polaris ... i did think that a new 570 crew was right around 11k new

TX.X-30 fan
01-31-2016, 10:18 AM

Boring.

JohnnyB
01-31-2016, 11:53 AM
Own a '13 ranger 500 efi mid size Great for plowing.....moves tons of snow with ease. I bought a 50" moose county plow with it. Only regret is I wish I would have built a wider plow.

If you are looking for a utility utv, Polaris ranger is the way to go. We use ours all over our property.....toting gear to the dock, hauling tools and materials, plowing, pulling small stumps, winching out boat lifts and other stuck implements, hauling dirt and landscape materials, hauling firewood, etc.

500 is plenty considering our uses. Comfortably driven by wife and early teen daughters.

If I was buying one for purely trail riding, i'd buy a RZR. If I wanted to use as utility vehicle and for trail riding i'd get an 800cc ranger.

I looked at yamaha....nice unit, great fit and finish, as bulletproof as Polaris imho. mid size yami will fit in the back of your pickup.

Didn't give Yamaha a ton of consideration because of my great 20+ yr relationship with my local Arctic Cat and Polaris dealer....customer service 2nd to none!!! Your dealer support in what you buy is huge!! I wrench on most of my stuff but when you get into something difficult, phone support from the dealer techs or sending it to a shop that treats you fair is where its at!!

DocPhil
01-31-2016, 12:46 PM
Own a '13 ranger 500 efi mid size Great for plowing.....moves tons of snow with ease. I bought a 50" moose county plow with it. Only regret is I wish I would have built a wider plow.

If you are looking for a utility utv, Polaris ranger is the way to go. We use ours all over our property.....toting gear to the dock, hauling tools and materials, plowing, pulling small stumps, winching out boat lifts and other stuck implements, hauling dirt and landscape materials, hauling firewood, etc.

500 is plenty considering our uses. Comfortably driven by wife and early teen daughters.

If I was buying one for purely trail riding, i'd buy a RZR. If I wanted to use as utility vehicle and for trail riding i'd get an 800cc ranger.

I looked at yamaha....nice unit, great fit and finish, as bulletproof as Polaris imho. mid size yami will fit in the back of your pickup.

Didn't give Yamaha a ton of consideration because of my great 20+ yr relationship with my local Arctic Cat and Polaris dealer....customer service 2nd to none!!! Your dealer support in what you buy is huge!! I wrench on most of my stuff but when you get into something difficult, phone support from the dealer techs or sending it to a shop that treats you fair is where its at!!

Thanks. Also super helpful. I will look into polaris as well.

There are no "local" dealers around here so I will be traveling a bit to buy it. In the end, it will come down to cost for me. If I can steal this Yamaha I'm looking at, that will be the one I buy. But I will absolutely consider polaris

I'm confident in a 700 cc Yamaha to get what I need done.

TSchimizzi
01-31-2016, 05:31 PM
Hands down I would buy a Yamaha Viking over a Polaris Ranger. Reasons:

-More interior room: The center seat is recessed from the passenger and driver seat so when 3 adults are sitting in each row their shoulders are not touching. If you don't need the room for 6 people, Yamaha makes a great center console that can replace the center seat. Storage is lacking in the Viking so if you can get away with seating for 4 or 5 people, the consoles are handy.

-Metal Bed: Plastic beds like the Polaris have will crack when you throw logs, rocks, etc in them. Yamaha has a metal bed. While it can scratch and rust, we use a rubber bed mat or roll on bed liner to protect it.

-Yamaha's Ultramatic transmission: As previously stated by someone else, Yamaha's CVT system is designed to reduce belt and clutch wear. Under normal use, you should see 5,000+ miles before you have touch the belt or clutch. The Ultramatic transmission also provides engine breaking all the way down to 0 RPM, the clutch will never disengage and allow the machine to run away from you. The throttle response is also smoother as the clutch is not engaging the belt as aggressively as the the Polaris will. For plowing and hauling, Yamaha's CVT is more reliable.

-Warranty: Both OEMs provide a 6 month factory warranty. Yamaha's Extended Service (YES) is relatively inexpensive in comparison to the other OEMs. It is also the only warranty that is administered by the manufacturer themselves. All the others I deal with are outsourced to a third party making claims a pain to get covered. Yamaha's YES covers everything that the other OEMs consider wear items (wheel bearings, A arm bushings, CV joints). They are currently running a promotion where you can get 5 years of warranty for $440 if you buy $1000 in Yamaha accessories. You'll want a winch, windshield and center console anyways, so it's a no-brainer.

The downside of the Viking 6 is they are BIG. If you intend to trail ride in tight areas frequently, you'll have trouble fitting in some spots. The Yamaha won't be as pretty as the Polaris either, it has basic molded plastic and black steel wheels to help keep the price down. If you're working it, that probably isn't a concern.

Feel free to PM me with any Yamaha-specific questions and I'll be glad to answer them for you!

TSchimizzi
01-31-2016, 05:36 PM
I'm reading that polaris has reliability issues. That is a bit concerning

I am looking at a Brand new leftover 2015 Yamaya Viking VI EPS for 10K. thoughts on that?

That's a really solid deal. Make sure to ask the dealer about freight/setup and other fees they add onto their advertised price. I would expect some additional charges at a price that low, it's well under invoice.

JohnnyB
01-31-2016, 08:15 PM

-More interior room: The center seat is recessed from the passenger and driver seat so when 3 adults are sitting in each row their shoulders are not touching. If you don't need the room for 6 people, Yamaha makes a great center console that can replace the center seat. Storage is lacking in the Viking so if you can get away with seating for 4 or 5 people, the consoles are handy.

-Metal Bed: Plastic beds like the Polaris have will crack when you throw logs, rocks, etc in them. Yamaha has a metal bed. While it can scratch and rust, we use a rubber bed mat or roll on bed liner to protect it.

-Yamaha's Ultramatic transmission: As previously stated by someone else, Yamaha's CVT system is designed to reduce belt and clutch wear. Under normal use, you should see 5,000+ miles before you have touch the belt or clutch. The Ultramatic transmission also provides engine breaking all the way down to 0 RPM, the clutch will never disengage and allow the machine to run away from you. The throttle response is also smoother as the clutch is not engaging the belt as aggressively as the the Polaris will. For plowing and hauling, Yamaha's CVT is more reliable.

-Warranty: Both OEMs provide a 6 month factory warranty. Yamaha's Extended Service (YES) is relatively inexpensive in comparison to the other OEMs. It is also the only warranty that is administered by the manufacturer themselves. All the others I deal with are outsourced to a third party making claims a pain to get covered. Yamaha's YES covers everything that the other OEMs consider wear items (wheel bearings, A arm bushings, CV joints). They are currently running a promotion where you can get 5 years of warranty for $440 if you buy $1000 in Yamaha accessories. You'll want a winch, windshield and center console anyways, so it's a no-brainer.

The downside of the Viking 6 is they are BIG. If you intend to trail ride in tight areas frequently, you'll have trouble fitting in some spots. The Yamaha won't be as pretty as the Polaris either, it has basic molded plastic and black steel wheels to help keep the price down. If you're working it, that probably isn't a concern.

Feel free to PM me with any Yamaha-specific questions and I'll be glad to answer them for you!
Disagree on bed cracking....rocks, firewood, you name it.....abused and never cracked

epnault
01-31-2016, 08:50 PM

Sounds like a SWOTT analysis from the Yamaha factory regurgitated by a salesman for the brand. Come on. ;)

TSchimizzi
01-31-2016, 10:18 PM
Sounds like a SWOTT analysis from the Yamaha factory regurgitated by a salesman for the brand. Come on. ;)

You are correct, I sell Yamahas and do not sell Polaris. I have however serviced a ton of both brands and have seen just about every repair imaginable. Doc and I live worlds apart from one another and I could care less about which make/model he buys. He asked a question and I offered some alternative views based on my experiences. How many people here have actually driven and worked on both? I would guess very few.

I also sell Arctic Cats and wouldn't recommend one to my worst enemy.

epnault
01-31-2016, 11:30 PM
I know. Just ribbing yeah. You sound like a great dealer.

jgraham37128
02-01-2016, 05:27 AM
I was on a trip this weekend and decided to stop by a dealer that sold motorcycles and atv's. I had a 2006 Yamaha rhino a few years back. I went in and looked at the new 4 seater RZR 1000. Advertised price was 27k..... No windshield, not top, no AC..... You got to be nuts to give 27k for an RZR.

Mastercraftdave
02-01-2016, 09:44 AM
I was on a trip this weekend and decided to stop by a dealer that sold motorcycles and atv's. I had a 2006 Yamaha rhino a few years back. I went in and looked at the new 4 seater RZR 1000. Advertised price was 27k..... No windshield, not top, no AC..... You got to be nuts to give 27k for an RZR.

The RZRs are crazy. The brother of the friend that I hunt with bought a 1100 RXR special edition for 30K. It is an incredible machine but it is not worth 30K. It is super fast and will basically go through anything. But that the price of a truck.

For 30K Im going find an older Jeep Rubicon and a 4-wheeler.

CoachTRL
02-01-2016, 10:42 AM
We've been looking into one for the lake. Mostly for running to the dock and back and down to the water. One of the things that we'd like to do is launch the jet skis into the water behind the house with it. It's a gentle enough slope to be able launch. There's just too many trees to get an actual vehicle down there. Does anybody use their Ranger or other UTV for this? Which model do you have?

DocPhil
02-01-2016, 10:43 AM
We've been looking into one for the lake. Mostly for running to the dock and back and down to the water. One of the things that we'd like to do is launch the jet skis into the water behind the house with it. It's a gentle enough slope to be able launch. There's just too many trees to get an actual vehicle down there. Does anybody use their Ranger or other UTV for this? Which model do you have?

I am planning on doing this as well. I would imagine any UTV could handle this job.

30K for a UTV is just stupid.

CoachTRL
02-01-2016, 10:49 AM
I figured most of them would. We're leaning towards just going with a 570 for the price. And I can afford a new one, not having to worry about how well it's been maintained by someone else. I should add, I'll most likely go with a Ranger. I like the idea of being able to comfortably fit 6 people.

Completely agree, I have a hard time paying 30K for anything, let alone a UTV. Hell, I didn't even pay that for my truck!!

dmbeck
02-01-2016, 10:57 AM
Id look at a Kawaski Teryx 4 seater or the new Honda Pioneers. My dad has a 2 seater teryx and it has pently of speed (nothing like a rzr) and can handle the trails very well but still has a nice size bed for hauling things and doing yard work. Granted the 4 seater is going to have a smaller bed but he has a removable seat to put back there too. This would be great for driving around at the lake or anything like that but not hauling 4 people while trail riding.

As for the pioneer, my boss just bought one and its sweet, honda is the best when it comes to atv's in my opinion but they lacked in the utv side, the pioneer has brought them back up in the utv game. The four seaters are the same size as the two seaters but the rear seats are integrated into the bed and fold away to give you plenty of room for cargo if needed. Also a nice point for you would be since you want to use around the lake the bench seat in the front to haul 3 people up there. Plus these are shaft driven which you cant go wrong with. The only down side to these is they just came out so you're going to have a hard time finding a used one and getting into the price range you were talking about. I think youre looking at around 15k for a new 750 four seater if I remember correctly.

Jh12
02-01-2016, 11:40 AM

We launch our jet skis with gas powered golf carts. That being said its a very slight slope to the ramp. Any decent sxs wouldn't have any problem launching them.

bdaly126
02-01-2016, 12:46 PM
I am planning on doing this as well. I would imagine any UTV could handle this job.

30K for a UTV is just stupid.

I paid about 30k for this Jeep brand new this past July for my wife for her birthday.. selfishly thinking we wouldn't need a new Ranger for down at the lake....

But we still ended up getting the 570 MidSize to haul the SeaDoo's in and out and get the kids to and from the dock. It's still easier than taking the Jeep to and from the dock, the Ranger has a turf saver feature that unlocks the rear end so you don't tear up the grass when turning, it makes it like a 1 wheel drive. At lot of guys at the lake have the Rangers and RZR's because of the local dealer. I didn't even think about looking elsewhere since our last couple have been trouble free. But we only put about 20 hours and 150 miles a year on them. This midsize fits my family of 5 with the dog but I am pretty sure this or next year I will get the 6 person version. It's a bad picture but I don't have any others.

We bought a new Sportsman at the same time so I don't know the exact cost of the ranger, but I think with the roof, radio & windshield it was around $12,000 before tax and title. The 500 crew we bought in 2014 was under 10k, but the new ones are much nicer. Maybe not 2k nicer....

rgardjr1
02-01-2016, 02:02 PM

I use my Ranger 900XP to launch our WaveRunner. Saves me driving 6 miles to the launch. I can launch it on our beach, but I have to go a couple of miles to another site to retreive. The slope at our beach isn't steep enough. Ours mainly gets used to shuttle us back and forth to our slip. I added turn signals and a Wetsound soundbar to mine last summer. It's nice having an extra rig that I can leave at the lake.

Bwag1961
02-01-2016, 06:28 PM
Use my Arctic Cat 700HDX to tow and launch my twin trailered skiis with no conerns.